Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

mikeycp posted:

I get unreasonably excited about seeing some teenagers throw baseballs for a long time, possibly ruining their arms.

There was a good article in the WSJ about this subject a couple of weeks ago.

quote:

There's a relentless focus on basic skills, such as the "1,000-fungo drill," in which coaches hit a long succession of grounders or pop flies.

Pitchers endure "nagekomi" – literally, "to drive oneself to throwing." It involves throwing as many as 200 pitches at full force to improve strength and pitching mechanics.

Suishu Tobita, a late manager known as the "father of varsity baseball," was famous for his belief that players should at times "vomit blood" on the practice field.

"Those who believe in the rubbish that baseball is for fun cannot reach greater heights," he said in one widely-quoted mantra. "You must suffer to find meaning in baseball."

Proponents say the system helps players respect authority, master the fundamentals, and build stamina.

"Throwing 200 pitches for a week straight every day of the week was something that I did and something that I enjoyed," Daisuke Matsuzaka of the New York Mets said in an interview. "I don't think it negatively affected me at the time."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
That article is definitely a pretty good read.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Well this is a slaughter :stare:

6 hits, 1 bb, and 5 runs allowed with only one out on a sac bunt.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Seiryo, the team that came back from 8-0 in the 9th inning of the qualifying finals, are playing now. They're in yellow and batting second.

http://koshien.asahi.co.jp/cockpit/live/

e: Not as dramatic as their last game but Seiryo came back from 2 runs down in the 7th and won :unsmith:

e2: Didn't want to make a new post because I'd probably fill a page by myself if I posted every time something amazing happened at Koshien. But Ogaki Nihon trailed Fujishiro 8-0 in the 1st and.... ended up winning 12-10. I was so happy for them and then the camera spent several minutes on the entire Fujishiro team bawling and it was the most awful feeling :smith:

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Aug 12, 2014

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Went and saw the Lions/Buffaloes game tonight and it was brutal. 12 innings, no score. :(

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Does anyone happen to know the camera restrictions at NPB games? Most MLB stadiums allow you in with a DSLR, but only if the lens is below a certain length, and many gate-checkers don't know the difference and try to turn away anyone with a DSLR.

I imagine it might vary from stadium to stadium, so, specifically, can I bring a DSLR to a Dragons, Swallows, or Marines game?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Koshien finals are tomorrow! Osaka Toin vs. Tsuruga Kehi was one hell of a game. Kehi put up five runs in the 1st, including a grand slam, and then Toin's offense took over. The teams combined for five home runs in the first four innings and this was the scoreline

Incidentally... both Toin and Mie's aces threw their third consecutive complete games today. As in, of the last three games their teams have played, they have pitched every inning. Fukushima of Toin is at 435 pitches in 6 days, Imai of Mie is at 429 over the same span. And, unless their arms break and the bone comes out and they can't stuff the bone back in, both will pitch complete games tomorrow.

Koshien!! :neckbeard:

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 24, 2014

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Bumping to inform you all that the Tigers are in the Japan Series :woop:

They basically kicked the poo poo out of the Giants, winning 4-1, 5-2, 4-2, and finally 8-4 tonight to clinch, getting a sweep of the series (but not a technical sweep; due to how the Climax Series works the Giants came in with a 1-0 default advantage due to being first place in the division at the end of the season, so it goes down as a Tigers 4-1 series win).

They'll either face the Hawks or the Fighters, depending on how that series plays out. The Hawks are up 3-2 with tomorrow's game being on the Hawks' home field (the Hawks started up 1-0).

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Of course the team I like gets this far the year I don't really follow them. :(

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

The stream site in the OP is passworded or something now, so I've been using this site recently: http://wintv24.com/channel_list.php

The listing is Korean but don't worry, games are labeled "NPB" and will show up close to gametime on one of the early channels.

Sometimes there's a password and the password is in the stream title.

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000
This thread is great - the NPB had piqued my interest recently, and this was the intro I needed. As I was reading up on the teams, I became more and more convinced that, as a Cubs fan, I pretty much have to be a Hanshin Tigers fan. A dedicated but suffering fanbase rooting for a cursed team that plays in an historic, ivy-covered stadium? The parallels are uncanny. Plus, two former Cubs are playing for them! (Kosuke Fukudome and Matt Murton)

And then I discover they've just made the finals of the Japan Series... Sorry Tigers fans, I think that means they're doomed to failure now that I'm pulling for them.

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000
Tigers vs. Hawks for the Japan Series.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2014/10/20/baseball/japanese-baseball/hawks-beat-fighters-book-spot-japan-series/

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2014/10/20/baseball/japanese-baseball/tigers-right-touch-final-stage-cl-climax-series/

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
So I know this isn't as high profile as Japanese baseball, but the Australian Baseball League starts in a couple of days. It's kind of an important year this year, as MLB being the majority owners of the league, had originally invested a bunch of money in the hope that the league could break even by it's fifth year of play, which is about to begin, although I don't know if that is likely to eventuate, the level of competition is still of a decent standard and I hope it continues to gain support.

A brief write up on the league in it's original incarnation is available on the wikipedia page.

A few minor league organisations send players over here during the off season, I know the Rays have had good relationships with the Brisbane Bandits and Sydney Blue Sox (Kevin Kiermaier played there last year), and these relationships are still continuing, with a bunch of Stone Crabs guys playing for Brisbane this season (Maxx Tissenbaum is one of them, who writes a cool blog about his experiences here: http://maxx27tissenbaum.mlblogs.com/, so it can be a good opportunity to see some up and coming players. I think the diamondbacks have also been a bit keen on the idea after the opening series in sydney this year as well.

The teams are spread between the capital cities of each state, Melbourne Aces, Brisbane Bandits, Sydney Blue Sox, Perth Heat, Adelaide Bite and the Canberra Cavalry. Perth have won 3 of the last 4 championships.

Games will be streaming via youtube and the local ISP iiNet, here is the schedule with links to streams; ABL Schedule although I don't know if it's available for international viewers (and if it isn't it should be)

Here are a few articles with some information about the league,

Why should we be excited about the start of the Australian baseball season?
Beyond the box score:What's Next for the Australian Baseball League?
The Australian Baseball Digest a news website that tracks everything related to australian baseball.

This also happened last season
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzBlj8wV_es

I'm planning to get up to melbourne for a few games this season to show some support (plus a guy from my club is pitching this year) as well as to see some of the Rays guys get some play time, probably the closest I'll get to actually seeing my favourite team play (at least for a little while)

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Not sure if it's been mentioned but KBO games are all officially streamed on youtube, this page has links to the streams during gametime: http://stats.mykbo.net/games Their semi-finals just started.

ABL is cool and I hope it sticks around. They've really come a long way in the short time it's been active this time -- I've only seen ABL teams through the Asia Series and the Perth Heat were pretty dreadful the first year the ABL went -- I saw better fielding during Koshien -- and yet Canberra managed to win last year's (granted Rakuten was resting half its roster, no idea about Samsung Lions)

Nippon Series is tied 1-1, next three games are at Softbank's home. I'm pulling for Hanshin.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Oh hey, NPB chat.

I used to live in Nagasaki so I've been to a few SoftBank games. The atmosphere is unreal - don't go to the outfield seats unless you're ready to cheer all game long. But the result is great. I'm definitely pulling for the Hawks in this series, sorry Hanshin fans.

I've since moved to Tokyo and after going to a Swallows game in 2013 I think I'll follow them now that I'm up here. Why? Meiji Jingu Stadium has a really cool atmosphere for such an old ballpark, it's not too far from where I live, and gently caress the Giants. I didn't get to any games this year but I want to hit a few different stadiums next spring and summer - there's five teams in Kanto, might as well take in the sights.

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000
The Hawks lead the Tigers in the Japan series, 2-1 after today's 5-1 win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW9FePhBadU

Also, there will be an exhibition series between NPB's Chiba Lotte Marines and Taiwan's Lamigo Monkeys, this Friday/Saturday/Sunday.

http://www.lamigo-monkeys.com.tw/news.php?nid=700

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Uggggggh, the Hawks just won 5-2. Shoh had Nakamura on a 1-2 count with 2 outs and runners on 1st and 2nd but he slugged a 3-run HR to right to end the game. Hawks are up 3-1 now and Hanshin's going to need a miracle to pull this out (read: don't bet on it).

The Tigers had a chance to pick up a run with runners on 1st and 3rd with 1 out in the top of the 10th but MurtonGomez hit into an double play :doh:

Navaash fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 29, 2014

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

Navaash posted:

Uggggggh, the Hawks just won 5-2. Shoh had Nakamura on a 1-2 count with 2 outs and runners on 1st and 2nd but he slugged a 3-run HR to right to end the game. Hawks are up 3-1 now and Hanshin's going to need a miracle to pull this out (read: don't bet on it).

The Tigers had a chance to pick up a run with runners on 1st and 3rd with 1 out in the top of the 10th but Murton hit into an double play :doh:

That was Gomez, not Murton! Don't sully the name of a former Cub! :)

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Mobius posted:

That was Gomez, not Murton! Don't sully the name of a former Cub! :)
Oh, you're right. Oops.

Hanshin could have gotten out of the 10th if they'd thrown for 1st instead of 2nd on the earlier hit (it ended up being safe by a hair because the 2B pulled their foot slightly off the base). Then they would have gotten the 3rd out shortly after and not ended up facing Nakamura that inning.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

They also could have struck Nakamura out, except the catcher dropped a tipped ball. Lots of blown chances.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Oh my god the Nippon Series just ended on a baseline interference appeal

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Are you loving kidding me? That didn't look like an out at home plate!

Hard-Luck Hanshin, indeed! Tigers fall 1-0 and MLB and NPB end on the same day. Somehow fitting.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Navaash posted:

Are you loving kidding me? That didn't look like an out at home plate!

Hard-Luck Hanshin, indeed! Tigers fall 1-0 and MLB and NPB end on the same day. Somehow fitting.

The first out of the double play, you mean? I guess I'd need to see it again, but it seemed like the catcher touched the plate..

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Oh, the interference call was at 1B? The camera whipped so fast and of course they're not bothering with showing the replay. 2ch is predictably exploding in anger.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Navaash posted:

Oh, the interference call was at 1B? The camera whipped so fast and of course they're not bothering with showing the replay. 2ch is predictably exploding in anger.

I don't speak Japanese nearly well enough, but it seemed pretty clear to me that the call was that the throw to first struck him because he was running inside the line.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

I watched the replay. He was running inside the baseline for most of the way but had corrected just as he got close to the base. Oh well :shobon: An appropriately lovely ending to the Series.

But hey! At least Hanshin actually got a win this time! (in their last appearance in 2005 not only did they not even get a single win but they got completely run over by an aggregate score of 33-4)

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

Mobius posted:

Sorry Tigers fans, I think that means they're doomed to failure now that I'm pulling for them.

My bad.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

At least you made it that far, Tigers!
Luckily the Hawks are cool too.

(Also luckily my MLB team won their series, so I can't be too upset)

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Oh no. :smith:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

screaden posted:

So I know this isn't as high profile as Japanese baseball, but the Australian Baseball League starts in a couple of days. It's kind of an important year this year, as MLB being the majority owners of the league, had originally invested a bunch of money in the hope that the league could break even by it's fifth year of play, which is about to begin, although I don't know if that is likely to eventuate, the level of competition is still of a decent standard and I hope it continues to gain support.

A brief write up on the league in it's original incarnation is available on the wikipedia page.

A few minor league organisations send players over here during the off season, I know the Rays have had good relationships with the Brisbane Bandits and Sydney Blue Sox (Kevin Kiermaier played there last year), and these relationships are still continuing, with a bunch of Stone Crabs guys playing for Brisbane this season (Maxx Tissenbaum is one of them, who writes a cool blog about his experiences here: http://maxx27tissenbaum.mlblogs.com/, so it can be a good opportunity to see some up and coming players. I think the diamondbacks have also been a bit keen on the idea after the opening series in sydney this year as well.

The teams are spread between the capital cities of each state, Melbourne Aces, Brisbane Bandits, Sydney Blue Sox, Perth Heat, Adelaide Bite and the Canberra Cavalry. Perth have won 3 of the last 4 championships.

Games will be streaming via youtube and the local ISP iiNet, here is the schedule with links to streams; ABL Schedule although I don't know if it's available for international viewers (and if it isn't it should be)

Here are a few articles with some information about the league,

Why should we be excited about the start of the Australian baseball season?
Beyond the box score:What's Next for the Australian Baseball League?
The Australian Baseball Digest a news website that tracks everything related to australian baseball.

This also happened last season
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzBlj8wV_es

I'm planning to get up to melbourne for a few games this season to show some support (plus a guy from my club is pitching this year) as well as to see some of the Rays guys get some play time, probably the closest I'll get to actually seeing my favourite team play (at least for a little while)

Aussie baseball is worth watching just to see Jack Murphy's mustache. (I think someone around here dubbed him Murph Murphy, after being unable to find a first name).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

On replay that play to finish Game 5 of the NPB Japan Series was a correct call...but I was watching the TV coverage and they didn't show a single. loving. Replay.

It was pretty bad, to be honest. If it was in MLB, then Fox or ESPN or whoever would've shown approximately 200 replays of that one play. Japanese TV? Not a one.

Hard on Hanshin but the Hawks won their pennant and the title, so yay. Can't wait for spring to come back and to catch some games and support the Swallows!

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Tsuyoshi Nishioka posted about the play on his facebook. A translation can be found here: http://thehanshintigers.wordpress.com/2014/10/31/tsuyoshi-nishiokas-facebook-comment/

quote:

From the moment I hit the ball, I knew it was a double play ball.

I was fully aware of the rule that if the throw were to hit me while I was running inside the baseline, I would be called for interference!

Even when there is no runner on base, even when I am batting lefty, I run from inside the baseline towards the outer area. So knowing the rules and fearing that the ball I put in play was going to be a double play, I gambled on the slight possibility that if I ran from the inside of the line towards the outside area, right on the base line… “Come on, hit me!” I thought to myself as I was running!

I ran thinking that as long as my foot was outside the baseline when the ball hit me, that it was marginally a safe play. That’s why I did it!

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Japan All-Star Series stream here: http://hibox3612.blogspot.tw/2014/08/gg7.html

Didn't see a thread for it, I guess technically it starts tomorrow.

And no MLB it's not the goddamn Japan Series, that's something else :argh:

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Nov 11, 2014

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

It's also on mlb.tv.

Best way is to load the mlb.tv video feed with that link for audio. I was going to jump out the window if I had to hear someone say "ribbie" one more time.

e: Though the mlb feed is quite a bit behind the Japanese one.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
important to note that chris capuano is the ace of an MLB all-star roster in 2014

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Monicro posted:

important to note that chris capuano is the ace of an MLB all-star roster in 2014

It gives me hope that I'll get to see Japan win the series.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

mikeycp posted:

It's also on mlb.tv.

Best way is to load the mlb.tv video feed with that link for audio. I was going to jump out the window if I had to hear someone say "ribbie" one more time.

e: Though the mlb feed is quite a bit behind the Japanese one.

Mind you the drawback of japanese audio is you can't play bingo

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Fair point

e: Always happy to say it: Get hosed, Puig.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

mikeycp posted:

Fair point

e: Always happy to say it: Get hosed, Puig.

Strikeouts don't get much uglier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I'm pretty impressed by those nasty balls Nomi is throwing. I didn't watch very much Hanshin this last year, so I haven't seen him very much.

• Locked thread