Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

http://www.npr.org/2014/11/03/361069820/new-clock-may-end-time-as-we-know-it

Not again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Damo posted:

Started Wyrd Sisters in my ongoing publication order read through of the series, and holy poo poo the scene of Granny and the witches watching the play at the beginning has to be the funniest passage of discworld so far. Granny's actions as a result of not understanding theatre but hating to admit ignorance is funny as hell in itself, but I just about died when Magrat dreaded explaining to Granny about men playing women on stage because she knows that granny has "Views". I love how "Views" is capitalized, that somehow makes an already hilarious line even funnier. Also this scene is the first appearance of Granny's death stare in this book and it is incredible as usual.

Granny is so awesome. She was the best part of Equal Rites and 20 pages in to Wyrd Sisters I can tell that as good as she was in Equal Rites, I'm in for a exponentially more funny and awesome Granny in this book.

"Things that try to look like things often do look more like things than things." God I love this series. So glad I'm finally reading through it.

Granny really is the best. She's got some great scenes in the Tiffany Aching books, and it's great to see how all the other grumpy old ladies feel about Granny. It ranges from horrified admiration to hushed, terrified dismissal, as if she might be watching. (She is.)

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

VagueRant posted:

Next up I guess is Reaper Man? Surprised there only seems to be five entries in the Death series.

Reaper Man is definitely the best of the Death books, you're in for a treat. And yeah, there's only five Death books. But he makes up for it with a cameo in all but two other books in the series.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

ConfusedUs posted:

Granny really is the best. She's got some great scenes in the Tiffany Aching books, and it's great to see how all the other grumpy old ladies feel about Granny. It ranges from horrified admiration to hushed, terrified dismissal, as if she might be watching. (She is.)

Granny is great but I don't think she would be half as amusing without Nanny. She provides a great counterpoint, and it makes both of them more amusing as a result.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Edit: Wrong thread.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 5, 2014

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Stroth posted:

Reaper Man is definitely the best of the Death books, you're in for a treat. And yeah, there's only five Death books. But he makes up for it with a cameo in all but two other books in the series.

Which two?

I finally bought Raising Steam now that it's out in paperback, and I'm about 100 pages in. You really can tell the difference in the level of writing :(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Snuff and Raising Steam.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Huh, I wonder if there's a reason he's out of the two most recent (?) books. Seems a shame to break that record.

Anyway, having a hard time getting into Reaper Man so far. It's jumping all over the place and wizards are always super boring in any book. The doddery old man, who I assume is the protagonist, is not as immediately relatable as your usual Discworld lead. :smith:

I did enjoy the cameo of a certain Sergeant Fred Colon though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

VagueRant posted:

Anyway, having a hard time getting into Reaper Man so far. It's jumping all over the place and wizards are always super boring in any book. The doddery old man, who I assume is the protagonist, is not as immediately relatable as your usual Discworld lead. :smith:

What? No, the protagonist is Bill Door.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

VagueRant posted:

Huh, I wonder if there's a reason he's out of the two most recent (?) books. Seems a shame to break that record.
If I was a famous writer who'd very publicly gone on record with his position on assisted suicide, I'd probably tread easy on the subject too. People would read all kinds of stuff into it and make connections and maybe I'd rather the books stand on their own, or at least don't actively remind the reader that something's up.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

Snuff and Raising Steam.

He had an appearance in Raising Steam.

VagueRant posted:

The wizard gets a lot better after he "dies".

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Jedit posted:

Snuff and Raising Steam.

How does nobody die in a Watch book?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sam. posted:

How does nobody die in a Watch book?
Vimes isn't a wizard, he can't automatically see Death.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Didn't one of the YA books have no Death scenes?

Whichever it was, it wasn't The Amazing Maurice. That book is darker and more morbid than even Mort, Reaper Man et al.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Vimes isn't a wizard, he can't automatically see Death.

But Carrot can?

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

PJOmega posted:

But Carrot can?

I think that vimes does at some point as well?

Vimes is basically a wizzard/witch anyway. Just in the way he has control over himself. It's quite a nice little progression, that starts with him becoming sober and ends with him taming/controlling the "beast".

Granny Wetherwax Witch Magic isn't really that different from Samuel Vimes Copper Magic.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Ben Soosneb posted:

I think that vimes does at some point as well?

Vimes meets Death in The Fifth Elephant when he's hiding from werewolves and Death isn't sure whether he's going to die, because of quantum.

edit:derp

DontMockMySmock fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Nov 12, 2014

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

DontMockMySmock posted:

Vimes meets Death in The Fifth Element

I love the scene where Vimes and Korben Dallas face off.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Hedrigall posted:

I love the scene where Vimes and Korben Dallas face off.

Oh, like you're perfect, "Corbin." I saw your ninja edit.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Hedrigall posted:

Didn't one of the YA books have no Death scenes?

Whichever it was, it wasn't The Amazing Maurice. That book is darker and more morbid than even Mort, Reaper Man et al.

Yeah, he wasn't in the first Tiffany book.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

IIRC, Vimes can only sometimes see Death, usually when he's running on adrenaline. There's even a scene where Vimes is thinking to himself and Death is trying to answer those questions and then is mildy disappointed when he realises that Vimes can't see him.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

"YOU SEE, YOU ARE HAVING A NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCE, WHICH INESCAPABLY MEANS THAT I MUST UNDERGO A NEAR VIMES EXPERIENCE. DON’T MIND ME. CARRY ON WITH WHATEVER YOU WERE DOING. I HAVE A BOOK."

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Nov 12, 2014

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Pretty sure that's not the only time a non-wizard sees Death, either.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

AlphaDog posted:

Most people see him exactly once.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I meant "I'm pretty sure that's not the only time a non-wizard sees Death without dying".

I might just be thinking of the witches though.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Was the only special thing about kings and Death that he has to use the sword?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

AlphaDog posted:

In Monstrous Regiment Polly Perks sees Death because she was told she was going to be marching with death (a golden rule in Discworld is trying to avoid using metaphors, in worst case scenario it could kill you).

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Can someone help me understand something regarding the end of Wyrd Sisters please?

I didn't quite understand the part at the end when Granny and Nanny are explaining to Magrat who the Fool and Tomjon's parents were and their relations. Are they half brothers sharing king Verence as father, or are they not related, or what? They say the fool isn't royalty, does that mean he wasn't the dead kings son? I got the impression the queen was messing about while the king was out hunting and excersizing his draught de signoire. Does that mean the queen was both their mothers with someone else as father, maybe the previous fool? The whole explanation went over my head and I don't understand the relations of the Fool and Tomjon at all or whether either of them are royal decsendants.

It's not really super important to the story but it's bugging the hell out of me and I need to get it straight. Thanks.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Verence II (the Fool) is the son of the his mother and The Absent Fool; Tomjohn is the son of the queen and The Absent Fool

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Pidmon posted:

Verence II (the Fool) is the son of the his mother and The Absent Fool; Tomjohn is the son of the queen and The Absent Fool

Ah OK, so half-brothers of a different mother with the old fool being their father. Interesting though that the fool is named after King Verence, considering he isn't the one with any royal parents. I guess his mom liked the king or his name at least.

Anyway, Wyrd Sisters was great. I've been reading the series in publication order and it has to be one of my favorites so far. The Shakespeare stuff was whatever, but Granny/Nanny are just awesome, and any scene with them was just great fun. Also, it seems like this is the first book where Pratchett's narration jokes really come into their own. Almost every little metaphor or joke he made in the narration was really funny this book. I especially liked the one where he described how humans think they can understand destiny, and just when they think they've nailed it down, it walks away with the hammer. He really has a gift for awesome metaphor and observation.

It's really cool reading them in publication order and witnessing the slow evolution of the Discworld as a story and as a place. The world and writing style is starting to really come together. The only thing that sucks is when you find characters you really enjoy, you have to wait like 3-5 books between their appearances.

Damo fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Nov 13, 2014

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It's fine to read a particular series in sequence, it's probably the recommended method to be honest.

There's even a handy chart on the Discworld site to help you along.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
Yeah I know, and while I just did complain about waiting long to see characters again I actually don't really mind. It's better I don't just plow through a storyline I particularly like. This way stuff will last longer and give me some time to dwell and think about stuff. I much prefer the chronological order I think. It works better for my sensibilities at least.

Who knows what will happen in the future though. Maybe I just won't be able to wait to continue a particular storyline. Hell I haven't even read a city watch book yet. Maybe I'll end up jumping around. Lot of discworld to go.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

AlphaDog posted:

Non-Wizards see Death all the time. Just because they happen to be cats... what are you speciesist?

And all those people who worked with good old Bill Door.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
Finished Pyramids in my continuing publication order read through of Discworld not the worst, but not the best so far either. I did enjoy some aspects of it immensely. I was dying of laughter during the fake-Greek philosophers part, that was great. Also the Trojan cows bit. The assassination exam at the start was fun as well. Tight ending to the book too, the plotting is improving book by book. Oh and how can I forget YOU BASTARD the greatest mathematician the Disc has ever known?

I've started Guards! Guards! and I'm loving it so far. The drunken Vimes rants are hilariously written.

One thing confuses me, is the Night Watch the only form of Guardsmen/Police in the city? Since they are only around at night I figure perhaps there are some that work the daytime.

I only ask because it seems weird, if there isn't, that the entire police force is comprised of only three or four people. I get the whole thing about the thieves guild and legalized illegal stuff and the lessened need for a police force, however there are still tons of things I can think of even within Ankh-Morporks way of governance that would require much more police than just three guys. There has to be plenty of stuff that is still illegal, not to mention the countless other poo poo police handle in a city. Even if there is a daytime force the night time being only three guys is a bit of a stretch. I mean I get it's discworld and all but that's a pretty big place for three dudes.

I guess I'm just confused about the whole situation with law enforcement, as it were, in Ankh Morpork. Which is natural I guess considering I've only read the first 50 pages of the first Watch book.

Anyway I'm so excited to be getting to the point in the series where Pratchett really finds his style and voice. I loved the first 7 books so if it's only gonna get better from here I'm in for a treat.

Damo fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 20, 2014

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Damo posted:

I only ask because it seems weird, if there isn't, that the entire police force is comprised of only three or four people. I get the whole thing about the thieves guild and legalized illegal stuff and the lessened need for a police force, however there are still tons of things I can think of even within Ankh-Morporks way of governance that would require much more police than just three guys. There has to be plenty of stuff that is still illegal, not to mention the countless other poo poo police handle in a city. Even if there is a daytime force the night time being only three guys is a bit of a stretch. I mean I get it's discworld and all but that's a pretty big place for three dudes.

I guess I'm just confused about the whole situation with law enforcement, as it were, in Ankh Morpork. Which is natural I guess considering I've only read the first 50 pages of the first Watch book.

There's a Day Watch, it comes up later.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Damo posted:

One thing confuses me, is the Night Watch the only form of Guardsmen/Police in the city? Since they are only around at night I figure perhaps there are some that work the daytime.

I recommend reading the book. It answers many questions that are not covered in the first 50 pages.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

You'll meet the Day Watch later.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

There's a line in there somewhere about the Day Watch having become another one of the city's gangs, and the Night Watch not even being good enough to manage that, right?

Buh
May 17, 2008
Also the book Night Watch shows us how corrupt and useless the Night Watch was before Vetinari crippled it, so three drunks guarding bridges was in fact a step forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Buh posted:

Also the book Night Watch shows us how corrupt and useless the Night Watch was before Vetinari crippled it, so three drunks guarding bridges was in fact a step forward.

Hey, don't undersell it, they had bells.