Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Exinos posted:

Maybe they should start a campaign to get Lowtax to accept butts so they can sign up and infiltrate our ranks.

butts get sent to the eater address, new user is auto banned.

:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Heresiarch posted:

the self-importance of these people is just astounding

their pet project cannot be failing on its own merits, there must be a government run psyops group opposing them

this must be a very effective way to avoid confronting one's personal incompetency, but i can't imagine that the side effect of overwhelming paranoia is very healthy
im mostly struck by their inability to even imagine someone doing something without immediate financial benefits

nobody would ever make fun of something just to entertain themselves or because they like laughing at people, no there has to be money changing hands somewhere

its of a piece with their efforts to replace all human interaction with "tipping"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Exinos posted:

Maybe they should start a campaign to get Lowtax to accept butts so they can sign up and infiltrate our ranks.

he did that once and all he got out of it was an ex wife

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

The Management posted:

he did that once and all he got out of it was an ex wife

what

also they have definitely linked the GBS thread, but I'm pretty sure that almost all of them are unaware of YOSPOS. being a subforum is a great power

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
i remember they posted a screenshot of here to prove that we were paid sills or something once

but that was three threads ago that's like a millennium in bitcoiner time

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Heresiarch posted:

are the forums paywalled right now? i remember some bitcoiner linking to the gbs thread at some point as evidence of something or other

iirc, it goes up towards the end of months based on some whacky radium algorithm I'm guessing. I think only SA mart and pgs are always private

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
did anyone say "bitches be tippin'" yet?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

FMguru posted:

im mostly struck by their inability to even imagine someone doing something without immediate financial benefits

nobody would ever make fun of something just to entertain themselves or because they like laughing at people, no there has to be money changing hands somewhere

its of a piece with their efforts to replace all human interaction with "tipping"

it's almost as if they're all sociopathic and don't understand things like "emotion" and "personal satisfaction" or even "Trolling"

ElectricMucus
Feb 9, 2013

Exinos posted:

Well I got M. Poopscoop to pay the :10bux: and I'm still here. :smug:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Heresiarch posted:

are the forums paywalled right now? i remember some bitcoiner linking to the gbs thread at some point as evidence of something or other
nope, yospos is currently public. i vaguely recall the forums used to bring up a paywall for a while after some random amount of no-account pageviews, but that was a long time ago.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

theflyingexecutive posted:

iirc, it goes up towards the end of months based on some whacky radium algorithm I'm guessing. I think only SA mart and pgs are always private

and fyad

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/blakeeb/status/532133461193408512

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
bitcoin is the most powerful disruptive technology on earth! it's more important than the internet, or the transistor, or fire! also it can be completely destroyed by 3-5 people posting about butts.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

ehhehhehehheheh

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

gently caress you, don't have mine anymore

someone should symbolically tip him three tenths of a cent so he can at least feel better

e: also it's not like he's going to have anything but a public defender, who's going to willingly take on a case where the defendant has had all his assets seized and literally admitted to everything already

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Crust First posted:

bitcoin is the most powerful disruptive technology on earth! it's more important than the internet, or the transistor, or fire! also it can be completely destroyed by 3-5 people posting about butts.

imagine if there were six to ten people promoting bitcoin, that would be incredible

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
does he not have his profits in a brain wallet or some other system that the man cannot seize? I was led to believe that bitcoins are outside the grasp of government thugs

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

the guy with that banks worst fear website got upset when we were making fun of his getting himself banned from reddit for paying people to post on his subreddit and not getting that was against the tos. he asked if anyone had an invite to sa so he could defend his honor, and then he said he'd pay the tenbux, if we only took bitcoin.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

yeah we got trolled p hard

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

What's funny in a way is that I remember when I was cruising odesk for lovely writing jobs I saw several saying "write articles about... bitcoin"

I briefly considered the matter as I was rather hard up at the time, but I eventually decided that it would be more honorable to starve

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

quote:

A Dutch entrepreneur has had two wireless computer chips implanted under the skin in his hands to allow him to store digital currencies like Bitcoin inside his body.

Martijn Wismeijer is the founder of Mr Bitcoin, a company which installs and operates crypto-currency cash machines in and around his native Amsterdam and across Europe.

This month he chose to undergo a painful procedure to embed NFC (near-field communication) chips under his skin. These chips can be read by a range of devices including smartphones like the Samsung Galaxy S5 and Apple iPhone 6, and can be adapted for a range of uses.

Wismeijer has already experimented with storing crypto-currencies such as Bitcoin on the chip, but he adds that it is vital to encrypt them to prevent theft – especially if it’s common knowledge that you have a chip and tell people where it can be found.

He had used it to store the private keys for his Bitcoin wallets. In the end he decided that it's not yet secure enough for him to use permanently, but said that the experiment was a success.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

you chose wisely

edit: the guy two posts above, the dutch cyborg not so much

also mark of the beast etc etc

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Nessus posted:

What's funny in a way is that I remember when I was cruising odesk for lovely writing jobs I saw several saying "write articles about... bitcoin"

I briefly considered the matter as I was rather hard up at the time, but I eventually decided that it would be more honorable to starve

i don't know, i think being an insidious 5th column agent working to undermine bitcoin from within could be satisfying. i'm willing to be you could get away with a lot given the average intelligence and reading comprehension level of bitcoiners

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Nessus posted:

you're basically gandhi

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

infernal machines posted:

i don't know, i think being an insidious 5th column agent working to undermine bitcoin from within could be satisfying. i'm willing to be you could get away with a lot given the average intelligence and reading comprehension level of bitcoiners

all you'd have to do is be really honest about bitcoin and its limits. remember, most things that scare people away from bitcoin are things they they assume are good things. no chargebacks, for example.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

infernal machines posted:

The problems were threefold

1. There was actually strong editorial control, apparently
2. The rates were dismally low, it was definitely pitched to try to get the folks who grind this stuff out en masse in India or something and for whom $5 for a 400 word article is actually excellent pay, locally at least
3. I suspect somehow that bitcoiners would be even more likely than the average freelance job poster to simply take your work and not pay you, or worse, pay you in butts

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Nessus posted:

The problems were threefold

1. There was actually strong editorial control, apparently
2. The rates were dismally low, it was definitely pitched to try to get the folks who grind this stuff out en masse in India or something and for whom $5 for a 400 word article is actually excellent pay, locally at least
3. I suspect somehow that bitcoiners would be even more likely than the average freelance job poster to simply take your work and not pay you, or worse, pay you in butts

yeah, i can see how 2 and 3 would be dealbreakers.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Its kind of cool that there's a dutch bitcoin cyborg tbh

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

PCWorld posted:

Mark Karpeles’ t-shirt couldn’t be more ironic.

“I don’t always test my code,” it reads, “but when I do, I do it in production.”

“I cannot apologize enough for what happened,” Karpeles said. “While I believe I did everything I could do to prevent this from happening, it still happened. Right now, I’m trying to do my best to cooperate with the bankruptcy process and the ongoing investigation.”
his trolling is so natural, so effortless. an inspiration to us all :allears:

ElectricMucus
Feb 9, 2013

Herman Merman posted:

I just want to see a photo of him in that shirt.

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008
is it just me or does it look like mark karpeles will get away with it?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
i'll be glad of it

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
karples did nothing wrong

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

does he not have his profits in a brain wallet or some other system that the man cannot seize? I was led to believe that bitcoins are outside the grasp of government thugs

Nope, he was an idiot who preferred to exchange his superior money into dollars, so they could all be confiscated.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

sharknado slashfic posted:

Its kind of cool that there's a dutch bitcoin cyborg tbh

it's just a loving nfc chip, there's nothing new or innovative about what this dude is doing at all

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

it's just a loving nfc chip, there's nothing new or innovative about what this dude is doing at all

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

why does EVERY loving "biohacker" have this stupid loving facial hair

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Herman Merman posted:

magikarples :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290