Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Criterion announced their coffee table book.
http://www.criterion.com/shop_products/106-criterion-designs

quote:

The most exciting names in design and illustration today apply their talents to some of the most important and influential films of all time. This volume gathers highlights from designs commissioned by the Criterion Collection, featuring covers, supplemental art, and never-before-seen sketches and concept art plus a gallery of every Criterion cover since the collection’s first laserdisc in 1984. From avant-garde experiments to big-budget blockbusters, cult favorites to the towering classics of world cinema, the depth and breadth of what film can be is on display in these striking images. Whether painstakingly faithful re-creations or bold re-imaginings, the stunningly diverse designs collected here offer new ways for cinephiles and design aficionados alike to engage with the world’s greatest filmmakers.
$99 is a bit pricey, but there's a coupon coupon code to take 20% off: 30YRS. It does look nice though. I'll get it when it's much cheaper though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Criterion announced their coffee table book.
http://www.criterion.com/shop_products/106-criterion-designs

$99 is a bit pricey, but there's a coupon coupon code to take 20% off: 30YRS. It does look nice though. I'll get it when it's much cheaper though.

Beats the poo poo out of the Rolling Stones having the balls to charge 500 bucks for theirs.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I have no real desire to own that cover book, but for some reason this is the first time I realized that Criterion sells posters. Really tempted by that Monsters and Madmen set, despite never having seen (or heard of!) any of those movies. Really kinda sad to see so few posters, but now I'm trying to think of good Criterion covers that would actually make good posters. Rashomon?

Edit: Hausu was too obvious so I didn't even mention it, but I figured I would cut people off there.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 28, 2014

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

I have no real desire to own that cover book, but for some reason this is the first time I realized that Criterion sells posters. Really tempted by that Monsters and Madmen set, despite never having seen (or heard of!) any of those movies. Really kinda sad to see so few posters, but now I'm trying to think of good Criterion covers that would actually make good posters. Rashomon?

Edit: Hausu was too obvious so I didn't even mention it, but I figured I would cut people off there.

I want the Monsters and Madmen posters too. Darwyn Cooke is my absolute favorite comics artist. I've been meaning to watch First Man Into Space. It heavily inspired the Fantastic Four.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I got a "Mystery Train" letterpress poster quite a while ago but I haven't gotten around to framing it. Since it is in the style of an old show poster, they printed it with the same method. It's pretty eye catching so I'll have to find a spot that needs some color to hang it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I did just notice that the price for the set is for 4 kinda tiny posters. 8 x 10 is like, smaller than a piece of paper, drat. That kinda deflates my interest a bit.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

GrandpaPants posted:

I did just notice that the price for the set is for 4 kinda tiny posters. 8 x 10 is like, smaller than a piece of paper, drat. That kinda deflates my interest a bit.

You can put them all in the same frame with some nice matting, it'll look sweet

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
If you want cool full size posters, keep an eye on screen print blogs like http://omgposters.com/ Criterion commissioned some stuff a while back like Repo Man 18x24" posters that looked awesome (sadly it sold out the instant it was posted). Lots of interesting prints pop up all the time though, usually in small quantities.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I've only seen the Sci Fi films in the Monsters and Mad Men set but they're both really cool. The ending of The Atomic Submarine is fantastic and surreal.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Any news about whether the poster book will be available via Amazon or the like? Criterion simply don't want to ship anything to Australia...I can understand the films with licensing and all that, but shirts, posters and the book not being available outside of the US and Canada is dumb.

I want my fuckin House shirt :(

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

I, Butthole posted:

Any news about whether the poster book will be available via Amazon or the like? Criterion simply don't want to ship anything to Australia...I can understand the films with licensing and all that, but shirts, posters and the book not being available outside of the US and Canada is dumb.

I want my fuckin House shirt :(

Right here buddy. (It's cheaper than Criterion proper, even when factoring in the coupon, too :ssh:)

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Right here buddy. (It's cheaper than Criterion proper, even when factoring in the coupon, too :ssh:)

40% off already? Something tells me I won't have to wait long to be able to pick this up for a lot less than $60

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Mercaptopropyl posted:

40% off already? Something tells me I won't have to wait long to be able to pick this up for a lot less than $60

It looks gorgeous and I can't wait for it to come out.

I sort of wish they'd have a companion book collecting all their film essays coupled with a picture or two of the film they're talking about. Of course given that there's over 1000 of them written, it'd probably have to be a multivolume sort of thing.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
No idea.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Supposedly it's Odd Man Out.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Naked Gun?

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

The player wearing the odd number isn't the one who's out, but yeah it has to be Odd Man Out.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Mercaptopropyl posted:

The player wearing the odd number isn't the one who's out, but yeah it has to be Odd Man Out.

The guy who is out is weaing polka dot socks, a propeller beanie, a cape, etc. which makes him pretty odd.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Clearly, it's the classic film Rookie of the Year. Finally getting the appreciation that it deserves after all these years!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Fingers crossed for Major League!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
They already have Linklater, it's obviously Bad News Bears.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Cloks posted:

They already have Linklater, it's obviously Bad News Bears.

Seriously though, give me a Before Trilogy box set.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Oh, God, getting 12 Angry Men was such a good choice. I didn't anticipate that when I bought it I was also gonna get a double-dose of golden age television drama. Both the original teleplay of Twelve Angry Men and Terror in a Temporary Town are wicked good, and I especially recommend the latter.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

It's up!

Edit: Here's a direct link to Jacques Tati since I know it will be a hot item.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 11, 2014

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

It's up!

I'm waiting till I can head into a B&N store tomorrow and hopefully will still have the Tati set in stock - otherwise I'll buy it online and wait 2-3 weeks to ship. Appreciate the direct link, and obviously a must buy!

For now, I picked up blu-rays of F For Fake, It Happened One Night, and George Washington. I really didn't expect F For Fake to be high on their priority list of DVD upgrades, so this was a pleasant surprise - one of my all time favourites.

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 11, 2014

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Does anyone think they'll ever split up the Tati set? I would love to own M. Hulot's Holiday on blu, but can't really see a reason to pay to upgrade the others.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Sheldrake posted:

Does anyone think they'll ever split up the Tati set? I would love to own M. Hulot's Holiday on blu, but can't really see a reason to pay to upgrade the others.

I… don't understand

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

kaujot posted:

I… don't understand

I can. I absolutely love Jacques Demy's Bay of Angels but don't want to buy the whole boxset. Haven't watched any others in the set, but I don't like musicals so I'm not about to buy a box set full of them.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Sounds like scrubtalk from someone who ain't seen The Umbrellas of Cherbourg! That's probably the best thing in that set.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

upgraded F for Fake and blind-bought the Tati set (all I've seen is 'Holiday'). apparently you can reserve stuff for in-store pickup? I felt guilty doing so. almost.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Bought Harakiri. Feelin' good.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Going to order Eraserhead, Y Tu Mama Tambien, Macbeth and The Innocents. The Innocents would be the only blind buy - I'm also looking at Judex, is that worth it?

K. Waste posted:

Bought Harakiri. Feelin' good.

Ugh... I love Harakiri but I have so many samurai movies already. Same with French crime movies, I was disappointed when Rififi didn't wow me but that's because I already have so many Melvilles.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I bought Picnic at Hanging Rock and It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World. And then I stopped browsing before I spent any more money.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

GrandpaPants posted:

It's up!

I haven't seen anything of Tati or heard of him before really. Is it worth a blind-buy or should I dip my feet first?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Are there any coupons that accidentally stack with the 50% off?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Tomero_the_Great posted:

I haven't seen anything of Tati or heard of him before really. Is it worth a blind-buy or should I dip my feet first?

Buy it unless you really hate physical comedy.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Yeah, the stuff I've seen is more accessible than 90% of the Criterion catalog and just as good.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
As I'm sure is of no great surprise to anyone reading my posts in this thread, I got the Jacques Tati set. It's fantastic in construction, I love the unified look.

I also got the Pierre Etaix set as a blind buy and I feel like the two together make up the one of the best values, dollar for dollar, of sheer number of films in the collection.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Cacator posted:

Ugh... I love Harakiri but I have so many samurai movies already. Same with French crime movies, I was disappointed when Rififi didn't wow me but that's because I already have so many Melvilles.

Since I haven't actually added any samurai movies to my library, I'm pretty excited to start with Harakiri. Frankly, I was deciding between a lot of Japanese films. I could have easily sprung for Seven Samurai, Ugetsu Monogatari, House, Sword of Doom, Tokyo Story, especially I Live In Fear as part of a Kurosawa Eclipse box ... But Harakiri is just such a reat slow burn. It just plunges the bamboo sword in and keeps twisting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Picked up F for Fake, George Washington, The Innocents, My Darling Clementine, Macbeth, and because the one I went to only had the DVD version of the Tati set, I picked that up for my mother-in-law while I look for the Blu.

Healthy mix of old stuff I had trouble finding last time and newer releases. I think I should cut myself off, with Christmas and my birthday coming up, so that people can actually get me presents.