Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
gonna implant a linear actuator stickin out behind my ear hooked to my google glass, that auto-m'ladies the hottest girl in my fov

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Werthog 95 posted:

why does EVERY loving "biohacker" have this stupid loving facial hair

Because they are starved for attention. Let me show you my bitcoin tramp-stamp QR code!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

trucutru posted:

Because they are starved for attention. Let me show you my bitcoin tramp-stamp QR code!

no dont

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008
kill all nerds salt the earth

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

trucutru posted:

Oh yeah, drop those hipster jorts and show it off. I'll tip the hell out of your butts.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Greed is eternal posted:

kill all nerds salt the earth

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Exinos posted:

Oh yeah, drop those hipster jorts and show it off. I'll tip the hell out of your butts.

But Just the tip(s)

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

trucutru posted:

Nope, he was an idiot who preferred to exchange his superior money into dollars, so they could all be confiscated.

even if he did keep his assets in buttcoins, he'd still give them up. the government would rubber hose decrypt them by offering a plea deal where he gets less prison time if he hands over the private keys.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

duTrieux. posted:

it's just a loving nfc chip, there's nothing new or innovative about what this dude is doing at all

I mean sure if you're taking this seriously and not thinking about it as a dutch bitcoin cyborg

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TVarmy posted:

even if he did keep his assets in buttcoins, he'd still give them up. the government would rubber hose decrypt them by offering a plea deal where he gets less prison time if he hands over the private keys.

Well, what would have happened is:

-FBI! drop your mouse!
-I did it, I am behind the SR2!
-Tell us that after we tell you your Miranda rights (they do so).
-I did it, I am behind the SR2! Here are my private keys, some incriminating logs, and a sworn affidavit, with Andreas Antopoop as a witness.
-(silence)
-Am I a good boy?

trucutru fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 11, 2014

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
goddamn, quote/reply

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress you quote button (Jesus Christ! How can I now make fun of an idiot. I am the idiot)

So, anyways. r/buttcoin is going to start "tipping tuesdays" with crap like this.

quote:

Here's some general tipping etiquette to get the most out of your tips. Please encourage others to read this:

-Add the word 'private' to most tips to keep threads tidy.
-Try to tailor fun custom monikers to the communities you're tipping in.
-This isn't just about collecting tips. It's about giving tips.
-Tips of higher value make a much better impression outside of giveaway threads.
-If somebody clearly does not want to be tipped, do not tip them, even as a joke.
-Do not engage in drive-by tipping sprees. It really pisses people off and mucks up the works, and is the primary reason why some people have been banned from other subreddits 'for tipping'.
-Find original content, share some insight, then leave a tip at the end.
Different communities have different minimum tip standards.

-All tip amounts are welcome in /r/ChangeTip, /r/BitTippers, and /r/FreeBits. Go subscribe!
-In /r/Bitcoin, we need to aim for at least 100 bits, but preferably $.25 or more.
-When tipping anywhere else on reddit, I cannot stress enough how important it is to tip at least $1.00, because any less will almost always leave a bad impression since they're most likely not accustomed to microtransactions. If you're not sure how it will be perceived, you can always ask first, and/or use the 'private' function.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 11, 2014

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
it's only cool to have an nfc implant if you have a steam code for deus ex on it

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

didn't a yosposter already do that

for an "art" project

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

trucutru posted:

gently caress you quote button (Jesus Christ! How can I now make fun of an idiot. I am the idiot)

So, anyways. r/buttcoin is going to start "tipping tuesdays" with crap like this.

no, /r/bitcoin is going to start tipping tuesdays

/r/buttcoin keeps spamming 1 milibit tips around and /r/bitcoin doesn't see the irony

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Blake Benthall had just pulled his gray Tesla out of the driveway next door to his rented house on Florida Street Wednesday afternoon when some 20 FBI agents, weapons drawn, surrounded him and then arrested him for allegedly running an illegal online marketplace.

“They told us to go inside the house,” said Francisco, who was visiting Benthall’s neighbors.

By Friday, the house at 915 Florida St. had become a local tourist site and neighbors talked about the unassuming man with a beard who had lived there.

“He would invite us to parties at his house,” said Francisco “He was a nice guy. I feel bad for him. The guy was an entrepreneur.”

Nearby residents knew the 26-year-old Benthall as a polite neighbor who occasionally threw loud parties. He also read the bible with his 85-year-old neighbor who rented out her driveway to him.

“He was very polite, he told me ‘let me know whenever you need a ride,’” said his 85-year-old neighbor. “I am really going to miss him.”

The neighbor, who asked that her name not be used, talked to the Texas-native about the bible – he kept a copy inside his Tesla. They also talked his visit with his mother this last summer.

“He told me about his mom who missed him very much,” the neighbor said getting emotional as she spoke. “As a mother I know what that feels like. I was the only person he talked to.”

Added Afi Lindberg, another neighbor, “He looked like just any other techie.”

What neighbors never suspected was that the self-described rocket scientist – he previously worked at Elon Musk’s Space X startup – was maintaining Silk Road 2.0, a black market for drugs and counterfeit documents that was generating $8 million in sales a month, according to New York U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara.

If convicted, Benthall faces life in prison on charges that include one count of conspiring to commit narcotics trafficking, one count of conspiring to traffic in fraudulent identification documents, and one count of money laundering conspiracy.

Benthal moved to Florida Street more than a year ago. He lived there with two roommates, but no one at the house answered the door on Friday afternoon.

Silk Road 2.0 opened on November 6, 2013 shortly after the FBI arrested Ross Ulbricht, the creator of the original Silk Road. Ulbricht was also a Texas native living and working in San Francisco.

Defcon, the username attached to Benthall according to a court affidavit, took over operation of Silk Road 2.0 in December 2013.

His neighbors said they first knew the house where he lived because of an elaborate cutout of a pirate ship that hung in the apartment’s bay window.

In January, however, it became known as the house where the owner of the new Tesla lived. Bethall bought the $127,000 Tesla in January using $70,000 worth of Bitcoin as a down payment, according to the court affidavit.

“My son was the one who told me about the expensive car,” said Graciela Trasvina.

On Friday morning, two days after the raid, the Tesla was gone, but the house had become a local curiosity.

“I would never think that was a drug house at all,” said Carrie Ryder, a neighbor who was outside taking a photo of the house. “It was hiding in plain sight.”

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

DNova posted:

didn't a yosposter already do that

for an "art" project

idk about a yosposter but zoe quinn did it

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Notorious QIG posted:

idk about a yosposter but zoe quinn did it

that was a contraceptive implant

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

JFairfax posted:

that was a contraceptive implant

she also has an rfid implant and was giving out deus ex via high fives at a con a few months ago

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Notorious QIG posted:

she also has an rfid implant and was giving out deus ex via high fives at a con a few months ago

the worst thing about gamergate is the other side being so bad that i would rather ally with this person

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Werthog 95 posted:

because all of them read "the diamond age" and think they're neo-victorians

yeah stephenson yet again

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Werthog 95 posted:

Dumb moustaches are scrub level biohacking.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Blake Benthall had just pulled his gray Tesla out of the driveway next door to his rented house on Florida Street Wednesday afternoon when some 20 FBI agents, weapons drawn, surrounded him and then arrested him for allegedly running an illegal online marketplace.

“They told us to go inside the house,” said Francisco, who was visiting Benthall’s neighbors.

By Friday, the house at 915 Florida St. had become a local tourist site and neighbors talked about the unassuming man with a beard who had lived there.

“He would invite us to parties at his house,” said Francisco “He was a nice guy. I feel bad for him. The guy was an entrepreneur.”

Nearby residents knew the 26-year-old Benthall as a polite neighbor who occasionally threw loud parties. He also read the bible with his 85-year-old neighbor who rented out her driveway to him.

“He was very polite, he told me ‘let me know whenever you need a ride,’” said his 85-year-old neighbor. “I am really going to miss him.”

The neighbor, who asked that her name not be used, talked to the Texas-native about the bible – he kept a copy inside his Tesla. They also talked his visit with his mother this last summer.

“He told me about his mom who missed him very much,” the neighbor said getting emotional as she spoke. “As a mother I know what that feels like. I was the only person he talked to.”

What neighbors never suspected was that the self-described rocket scientist – he previously worked at Elon Musk’s Space X startup – was maintaining Silk Road 2.0, a black market for drugs and counterfeit documents that was generating $8 million in sales a month, according to New York U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara.

If convicted, Benthall faces life in prison on charges that include one count of conspiring to commit narcotics trafficking, one count of conspiring to traffic in fraudulent identification documents, and one count of money laundering conspiracy.

Benthal moved to Florida Street more than a year ago. He lived there with two roommates, but no one at the house answered the door on Friday afternoon.

Silk Road 2.0 opened on November 6, 2013 shortly after the FBI arrested Ross Ulbricht, the creator of the original Silk Road. Ulbricht was also a Texas native living and working in San Francisco.

Defcon, the username attached to Benthall according to a court affidavit, took over operation of Silk Road 2.0 in December 2013.

His neighbors said they first knew the house where he lived because of an elaborate cutout of a pirate ship that hung in the apartment’s bay window.

In January, however, it became known as the house where the owner of the new Tesla lived. Bethall bought the $127,000 Tesla in January using $70,000 worth of Bitcoin as a down payment, according to the court affidavit.

“My son was the one who told me about the expensive car,” said Graciela Trasvina.

On Friday morning, two days after the raid, the Tesla was gone, but the house had become a local curiosity.

“I would never think that was a drug house at all,” said Carrie Ryder, a neighbor who was outside taking a photo of the house. “It was hiding in plain sight.”

haha, i've seen this douchebag's tesla, i live 2 blocks from where he did. thankyou fbi for taking a techie out of the neighborhood.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
a few years a go my dad showed me some pictures of him rocking a sweet handlebar back in 'Nam. so glad i didn't try to grow one.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I'm the self-described rocket scientist who dropped out of Bible college

Which reminds me to shill the latest Dollop podcast about crazy Satanist rocket scientist Jack Parsons

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

so this is probably a scam right? like he's not going to be posting on twitter a week after getting arrested and a lawyer posting for him would probably have a website, right? seems like most likely someone hacked his twitter account and posted their own bitcoin address to scam the libertarian drug nerds.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

FCKGW posted:

:nsallears:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Notorious QIG posted:

you weren't joking? loving hell...

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

from google maps, that's his tesla. this is also a rent-controlled apartment, so he was taking up an affordable place while running a website that did $8M in drug sales a month.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

being a good christian, i'm sure all his drug profits went to charity

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Werthog 95 posted:

being a good christian, i'm sure all his drug profits went to charity

I really, REALLY want to hear how he combines "Christian with a Bible always in his car" and "Enabling people to sell heroin over the internet".

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

I really, REALLY want to hear how he combines "Christian with a Bible always in his car" and "Enabling people to sell heroin over the internet".

if god didn't want us to sell each other drugs, he wouldn't have invented the opium poppy, nor the human brain that developed drugs from it.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

heroin ods send people to God faster

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

jesus once made wine for a party. therefore, god likes to party. therefore, god likes all drugs.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

probably the same way a lot of religious (and non-religious) people excuse behaviour counter to their proclaimed values

also this is my favourite part

quote:

an elaborate cutout of a pirate ship that hung in the apartment’s bay window

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
a rent controlled apartment in sf just means it was built before 1980, that's it. it's not like section 8 or whatever. it just limits the rent increase, it's not some magic thing

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

prosperity gospel, and texas

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

crusader_complex posted:

prosperity gospel, and texas

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

prosperity gospel is some evil poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

duTrieux. posted:

prosperity gospel is some evil poo poo

it's my favorite because "good things happening to you during your life has nothing do with how good a person you are" is one of the most straightforward teachings of jesus

disciples: "Lord, is this man blind because of his sin or his parents sin?"

jesus: "yall retarded"

edit: also the whole easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than a rich man to go to heaven bit

• Locked thread