Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Strong Mouse posted:

Man, I'd really much rather Thanatosian be gone than winvirus.

Everything from him I have seen has been straight, and Thano is really seeming off.

Also, I don't have Thano's word so...

##vote Thanatosian

And if you were wondering where the fifth was, everyone, there it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
AP, MMM, it's up to you guys. Pick the side you think you have the best chance of winning with, I guess.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Hal Incandenza posted:

Even though I am irate that Somber would publically call me a liar in the thread while secretly lying to me the entire time after I was straight with him (and also trying to make me feel bad about it privately) I can agree with voting Thantos since he appears to be just as shady.

I gave you a word for a word. You gave me a word for garbage and then changed your mind.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

winvirus posted:

How did Somb lie to you, also? I'm curious.

It's clear now that he was offering to trade his word to me, but he gave me someone else's word. He still gave me a word, which is cool, but he was making a big show of giving me HIS word and that isn't what he did. I don't think. If I am reading things right.

Plus I don't like him coming in here and telling everyone I lied to him when in the end I gave him my actual word of my own volition. He's probably now giving people my word and passing it off as his own. The way he handled everything is very slimy.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Somberbrero posted:

I gave you a word for a word. You gave me a word for garbage and then changed your mind.

Because I (correctly) didn't entirely trust you.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Hal, I'm now not sure whether you lied to me. I assumed you were lying to me based on what somb was saying.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
They would both have to side against Winv, so I think I'm going down.

MMM, if I live, I will message you tomorrow, and work things out. I think you're making a mistake siding with them, but I understand.

In any case, since I'm not likely to be around, good game, folks. Well-played, winvirus et al.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Rarity posted:

AP, MMM, it's up to you guys. Pick the side you think you have the best chance of winning with, I guess.

It's pretty slimy to pretend ActingPower's on the sidelines here.

MildManeredManikin posted:

Well I'll just post this in the thread then.

These were the communication lines on the first day we could speak:

Thana told me ActingPower stonewalled him and never responded. This is clearly not true, since Somber gave out the same word that Thano gave me.

I think either it's AP's word that AP gave to Thana and Somber or it's Thana's word that SP basically stole, shared to his rarity/somber alliance and then somber passed it off as his word.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

merk posted:

Hal, I'm now not sure whether you lied to me. I assumed you were lying to me based on what somb was saying.

I didn't lie to you, and Somber has basically confirmed I didn't lie to you earlier today.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Hal Incandenza posted:

Because I (correctly) didn't entirely trust you.

"Do you want to do a straight word for word trade?" That was what I said. I was also, I've found, justified in giving out that word.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Power of Pecota posted:

Considering he feels betrayed by me and Somber I'm not taking his opinion for granted.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

Thano, if you post every word + position that you know in this thread, I will self vote and you can be safe for another day. If you decline, or worse, lie and get caught out, then you're probably done for.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

I am being 100% serious.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I got out of work early for this poo poo. But I'm here. Gimme a minute.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Somberbrero posted:

"Do you want to do a straight word for word trade?" That was what I said. I was also, I've found, justified in giving out that word.

Semantics. Obviously from what I was saying I was operating under the principle that we were giving our own words, and even went on to ask you specifically if you were giving your word to anyone else and just played along pretending it was your word. You can claim that you didn't actually "lie" but you certainly weren't acting in good faith. You also led me to believe that you were only talking with Rarity.

That's all made worse by you coming in here and trying to defame me by making it sound like I never held up my side of the bargain when I did.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

winvirus posted:

Thano, if you post every word + position that you know in this thread, I will self vote and you can be safe for another day. If you decline, or worse, lie and get caught out, then you're probably done for.
This is basically just kingmaking, and kingmaking directly in favor of the people who are voting me out, so why would I do that? I mean, clearly merk and I have had no contact, so it would, odds are, be handing him several new words, and way more old words for the people I know. Also, it would kind of ruin the game. Like, I feel like there are at least a few more days in this, but not nearly as many if I do that.

When I put forward how many words I have, I didn't actually think that was that many; I thought for sure most people had more. And NEPTUNE was one of them, so...

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

winvirus posted:

I am being 100% serious.

He'll do it, don't think he wont.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
If you had any doubts about winvirus noble intentions, there you go. He'll wait until you're weak and leverage it. Why would Thano surrender and knock himself out of the game when he has a fighting chance?

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

If you had any doubts about winvirus noble intentions, there you go. He'll wait until you're weak and leverage it. Why would Thano surrender and knock himself out of the game when he has a fighting chance?

Well, either he would reveal everything he knows and survive, or he is eliminated tonight. I mean, I felt it was a pretty fair offer, since under the terms I would be guaranteed not winning if he accepted, and he would be guaranteed not winning if he declined.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Hal Incandenza posted:

Semantics. Obviously from what I was saying I was operating under the principle that we were giving our own words, and even went on to ask you specifically if you were giving your word to anyone else and just played along pretending it was your word. You can claim that you didn't actually "lie" but you certainly weren't acting in good faith. You also led me to believe that you were only talking with Rarity.

That's all made worse by you coming in here and trying to defame me by making it sound like I never held up my side of the bargain when I did.

If I were trying to defame you, I probably would have given your name when I talked about getting ripped off. I never called you slimy, you proved you couldn't be trusted and so you just weren't. It's not like I was the one to contact you.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I actually considered just giving out all the information I had to the people I'm in contact with today, which would be perfectly legit according to the letter of the rules, but I think would go against the spirit of the game, and would be just sour grapes.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Thanos revealing screws somber, so of course somber is against the strategy.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I get what Hal was doing, Somber; he wanted to verify that your word was for-real before he gave you his. He just chose a kind of shady way to do it, and did waste a slot in your guess, so I also get why you're upset with it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

merk posted:

Thanos revealing screws somber, so of course somber is against the strategy.
Me revealing hands the game to you, so of course you're in favor of it.

Remember, everyone: pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This is how winv plays these kinds of games. He picks on one person to ostracise and forms a gang against that person in order to manipulate the game. He leads from a culture of fear by making you think if you cross him you'll be the next to go and once he has the numbers he just rides roughshod over everything. If that's the kind of game you want to be involved in then vote Thanatos, if you want this to actually be a fun experience then vote winv.

And more particularly: Hal, he literally just got finished kicking your rear end in Awful Genius. Why are you doing it all over again?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Why is there all this high-horse nonsense rhetoric going on when the goal for everyone should be to vote the strongest player?

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

Why is there all this high-horse nonsense rhetoric going on when the goal for everyone should be to vote the strongest player?

Arguably, the man with the most words is the strongest player.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Somberbrero posted:

I've been voting the guy leading your alliance all day.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Somberbrero posted:

Rather, why is there all this high-horse nonsense rhetoric going on when the goal for everyone should be to obtain code words?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Rarity posted:

And more particularly: Hal, he literally just got finished kicking your rear end in Awful Genius. Why are you doing it all over again?

How did winvirus kick my rear end? He had literally nothing to do with me getting eliminated? Kind of rude, Rarity. And why would that have anything to do with this game? Winvirus and I have had no interaction at all this game.

Weird tack for you to take.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Rarity posted:

This is how winv plays these kinds of games. He picks on one person to ostracise and forms a gang against that person in order to manipulate the game. He leads from a culture of fear by making you think if you cross him you'll be the next to go and once he has the numbers he just rides roughshod over everything. If that's the kind of game you want to be involved in then vote Thanatos, if you want this to actually be a fun experience then vote winv.

Stones in glass houses, etc.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Somberbrero posted:

Haha, I just found out Acting used my word in place of his for trades.

I did no such thing! I haven't told anybody your word and you know it! What kind of sick game are you playing?

##unvote
##vote Somberbrero

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Hal Incandenza posted:

How did winvirus kick my rear end? He had literally nothing to do with me getting eliminated? Kind of rude, Rarity. And why would that have anything to do with this game? Winvirus and I have had no interaction at all this game.

Weird tack for you to take.

She's just trying to spin it as I'm the bad guy, because in her mind, I am.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

winvirus posted:

Well, either he would reveal everything he knows and survive, or he is eliminated tonight. I mean, I felt it was a pretty fair offer, since under the terms I would be guaranteed not winning if he accepted, and he would be guaranteed not winning if he declined.
You know this was nothing personal, right? I mean, I'm just trying to win the game. Once I'm out, I'm out. Hell, at that point, I'm almost rooting for you and merk, because then I get to say "I told you so" when the game is over. So really, burning any chance I've got at winning and souring the game for the people I've worked with just to make you lose? Uhhhhh... no.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

ActingPower posted:

I did no such thing! I haven't told anybody your word and you know it! What kind of sick game are you playing?

##unvote
##vote Somberbrero

I can actually verify that AP has been honorable. I told him the other day that Somber was using his word and was unsure if that was part of their agreement, and he briefly toyed with the idea of giving out Somber's word in retribution, but decided that he was better than that.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

You know this was nothing personal, right? I mean, I'm just trying to win the game. Once I'm out, I'm out. Hell, at that point, I'm almost rooting for you and merk, because then I get to say "I told you so" when the game is over. So really, burning any chance I've got at winning and souring the game for the people I've worked with just to make you lose? Uhhhhh... no.

Of course. In another world we coulda been allies. :unsmith:

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Power of Pecota posted:

The reason why I appear to be on the sidelines is that I haven't been talking until recently. I have talked to Thanos, Somber, winvirus, and Rarity, but they've generally kept me out of the loop. So yes, I do have some place in the game, but not as significant a one as Somber or winvirus, the people who have the most fingers in the most pies.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

ActingPower posted:

The reason why I appear to be on the sidelines is that I haven't been talking until recently. I have talked to Thanos, Somber, winvirus, and Rarity, but they've generally kept me out of the loop. So yes, I do have some place in the game, but not as significant a one as Somber or winvirus, the people who have the most fingers in the most pies.

AP you know my door is always open for you :ohdear:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

winvirus posted:

I can actually verify that AP has been honorable. I told him the other day that Somber was using his word and was unsure if that was part of their agreement, and he briefly toyed with the idea of giving out Somber's word in retribution, but decided that he was better than that.

Apparently he decided he's not better than all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Thanatosian posted:

I kept your confidences, too. Which is pretty clearly more than you can say for me. Way more.

My problem with this is that I didn't ask for you to keep my stuff a secret. We even agreed you'd trade my word for AP's.

When I was talking to winv, he said he would give me AP's word. I agreed because to my knowledge I didn't have that. Winv wanted your word and I refused to give it to him. I gave him something important and got NEPTUNE back. Can you see why I'm pissed? You hosed me over for your gain. The only reason I made this a public affair was because I got screwed and we went out of our way to establish we wouldn't do that. Now with winv revealing his word and NEPTUNE being public, I'm pretty far behind.

By the way, in an iterated prisoners dilemma the best strategy is tit for Tay with forgiveness, not a grim trigger. I'm going to keep my vote on somber until I get home. I recommend you switch as well.

• Locked thread