Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
Yeah that's what it says in the game code too, fwiw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooglin
Sep 5, 2002

Airfoil posted:

Two weeks ago. You might want to keep tabs on the official forums...

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/69054-backer-beta-build-333-is-live/#entry1527677

Whoops. Sorry. Thanks.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.

Sensuki posted:

I think it's a random chance, not deterministic. I am not sure if the bonuses stack either since the game has a suppression system. I will make a character later tonight and I will tell you whether the bonus is suppressed or not.

Also not sure it's working at the moment either actually.

Thanks for looking into it. I really hope it isn't suppressed - if it is, it could create a "trap talent" for players who don't realise, and I'm pretty sure that'd be against the design goals (but then, avoiding creating dilemmas between combat abilities and non-combat skills was also a design goal...). It would also make that one fighting style inferior for fighters specifically compared with the alternatives. I mean, a fighter could avoid picking Confident Aim and spend it elsewhere to avoid redundancy, but only if they know to do so. Perhaps a warning could be given to the player when two passives that overlap are going to involve suppression? Be a bit messy...

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
I agree. I forgot to check last night, but I'll look into it today.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Okay so here's a screenshot of it working. This character is a Fighter with One-Handed Style Talent and Confident Aim ability, as you can see that the One Handed Style Talent procced on this attack and converted it to a hit.

On my very next attack, I also scored a graze, but the Confident Aim ability turned it into a hit.

code:
private float GetBonusGrazeToHitPercent()
  {
    float num = this.BonusGrazeToHitPercent;
    if (!this.m_equipment.TwoHandedWeapon && !this.m_equipment.DualWielding && this.m_equipment.PrimaryAttack is AttackMelee)
      num += this.BonusGrazeToHitPercentMeleeOneHanded;
    return num;
  }
Here's the method itself in the code.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCiO4P4ZixY

Now with pre-order.

http://buy.pillarsofeternity.com/

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 11, 2014

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

All of the Abilities and Talents that convert a percentage of Grazes to Hits, Hits to Crits, Crits to Hits, etc. operate the same way. When the first result occurs through the modified "die roll", the game does a second check to see if that result is converted. E.g., if 20% of Grazes are converted to Hits, the game will check every time a Graze is rolled. However, it only shows up in the log if it actually converts.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I am pretty excited that by backing at the 50 buck level a few years ago I saved 4 bucks and got a (small joke) cookbook and a Novellea written a week or two before launch. Sigh. I hope they get the neato bonus stuff out earlier then launch. I wanna read that almanac.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Junkie Disease posted:

I am pretty excited that by backing at the 50 buck level a few years ago I saved 4 bucks and got a (small joke) cookbook and a Novellea written a week or two before launch. Sigh. I hope they get the neato bonus stuff out earlier then launch. I wanna read that almanac.

Sigh, Yeah they need to make the game more expensive so you can save 10 bucks instead of 4, sigh.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Junkie Disease posted:

I am pretty excited that by backing at the 50 buck level a few years ago I saved 4 bucks and got a (small joke) cookbook and a Novellea written a week or two before launch.

Are you sarcastic? You backed on KS to get the game and make sure it got funded, not to get a 30% discount over release price.

I'm sorry your expectations are wrong.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Nah I'm still excited and glad I backed i just a bit bummed the preorder is so similar to the tier I did. I got the 50 tier for the Almanac the rest is just goofy icing on the cake.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I'm happy with how the almanac turned out. It's great if you need planting dates for crops (some fictitious) using Eora's 16 month calendar.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I'm so excited for this release.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

rope kid posted:

I'm happy with how the almanac turned out. It's great if you need planting dates for crops (some fictitious) using Eora's 16 month calendar.

I hope I'm getting one all of a sudden.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The almanac is presented as an in-world document written by one author and heavily supplemented, edited, and annotated by three bickering pseudepigraphal scribes of The Hand Occult over the decades since the original's release. Compared to the collector's book, it has a more "grab bag" feeling to its content, including stories, riddles, and personal opinions.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
There's also going to be a stream this Thursday where they'll show new content at 22 CET/1pm PST on Paradox's Twitch channel, for anyone who cares.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

rope kid posted:

The almanac is presented as an in-world document written by one author and heavily supplemented, edited, and annotated by three bickering pseudepigraphal scribes of The Hand Occult over the decades since the original's release. Compared to the collector's book, it has a more "grab bag" feeling to its content, including stories, riddles, and personal opinions.

:getin: Oh I love stuff like this. Is it written as an interplay of schools of thought or more just straight-up characters that disagree?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

:getin: Oh I love stuff like this. Is it written as an interplay of schools of thought or more just straight-up characters that disagree?
Just petty people writing in the margins, mostly.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

rope kid posted:

It's like a whole new forum thread to read. :allears:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

rope kid posted:

Yes.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is the final game going to be 25gb in size or are those Steam Specs before optimization?

I do love that talents are given in tandem with abilities but I do find it hard to choose talents as there are so many offered at once. Maybe if optimal talents were marked with a star like attributes at character creation it'd be easier to narrow down one's choices.

monkeymagic
Aug 10, 2004
He is Trampling the Unrighteous with Hooves of Hot Iron
If you haven't preordered already there's a 20% discount code for greenmangaming today too, which goes on top of the 10% discount already.

NOVEMB-ERGMGX-20XOFF

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

monkeymagic posted:

If you haven't preordered already there's a 20% discount code for greenmangaming today too, which goes on top of the 10% discount already.

NOVEMB-ERGMGX-20XOFF

What are the items, a pet pig and a pumpkin helmet?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Drifter posted:

Clearly that's a cat and a cheese wheel.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Kibayasu posted:

Clearly that's a cat and a cheese wheel.
I was thinking pig, but you're probably right.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

rope kid posted:

Is it wrong to assume the team had recently read "S" before getting started on this feature?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Or the Baldurs Gate 2 manual? It has bickering annotations from both Elminster and Volo.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

zedprime posted:

Is it wrong to assume the team had recently read "S" before getting started on this feature?
I actually don't know what "S" is. :confused:

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

rope kid posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S._(Dorst_novel)

It's kinda like House of Leaves by Danielewski or Pale Fire by Nabokov, different narrators interacting on the same text, the story has... different levels of narrative? I don't know the the correct term, if you google image it and look at one page you'll see

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

rope kid posted:

A more modern way to write ſ.

rope kid posted:

So happy I'm getting one of these.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ZZZorcerer posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S._(Dorst_novel)

It's kinda like House of Leaves by Danielewski or Pale Fire by Nabokov, different narrators interacting on the same text, the story has... different levels of narrative? I don't know the the correct term, if you google image it and look at one page you'll see
Yeah, it just rang some bells based on the petty people in the margins comment. It seems like a format that would be incredible amounts of fun to write with the proper inspiration and an old timey almanac seems like a perfect frame for it too.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So is the final retail version going to be $50? or do I need to splurge for $60 to get all the extra goodies?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Drifter posted:

I hope it's a pig that shouts about bark strings

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I hope it's the piglet, but an aggro-ing piglet ala the first beta versions. I will never forget Aggro Piglet as long as I live

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

rope kid posted:

Sneak in some Ultima IV surprises where you can find special herbs by digging in the right spot during the right time of year and cast bonus spells or make special power-up tinctures or something.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

FRINGE posted:

Sneak in some Ultima IV surprises where you can find special herbs by digging in the right spot during the right time of year and cast bonus spells or make special power-up tinctures or something.

Was that the manual with the gold leaf runes on the front? There were two right? God I loved those manuals. You could pick either Nightshade or Mandrake by the dark of the moon if I remember correctly. :allears:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Helical Nightmares posted:

Was that the manual with the gold leaf runes on the front? There were two right? God I loved those manuals. You could pick either Nightshade or Mandrake by the dark of the moon if I remember correctly. :allears:
Yeah, I really hope theres a lot of little things hidden in there that you find by examining the lore, instead of it just being story and background.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

rope kid posted:

Loved those kinds of things in Shadowrun's books, if that's what I'm getting from this. And I'm at a tier where I will be, so that's awesome!

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Drifter posted:

Are the pre-order bonuses the same as the bonus item and pet on the Kickstarter page?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Let's all get ready for the teacup tempests that will invariably rock this thread / the Obs forums when the preorder stuff turns out to be different from what's already been offered.

• Locked thread