Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

no they don't.

idk xterm has a lot of cool features lacking in cmd.exe

like the ability to make the window wider than 80 characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
u can resize the command prompt to way longer if u want but it doesn't matter cause you don't need a command prompt in windows.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Can you teach me your microsoft secrets? I just tried and it won't go any wider than the default.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
weldcome to powerhell

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Right click on the window title, choose Properties, then type in a new width.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
right click the title bar or w/e at the top and go to properties then in layout set the window size how u want it. theres other options there if you really want to change them but who cares you're only ever gonna go in there to ping and traceroute.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Phoenixan posted:

weldcome to powerhell

don't use powershell

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Shaggar posted:

but who cares you're only ever gonna go in there to ping and traceroute.

or to work with the product we're developing at work :smith:

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Dish posted:

Right click on the window title, choose Properties, then type in a new width.

woah i never realized cmd had options

this is delightful

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

carry on then posted:

or to work with the product we're developing at work :smith:

shameful

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

Rahu posted:

woah i never realized cmd had options

this is delightful

:siren: linux power user found :siren:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
lol if ur job makes you use windows for anything

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
this is the byod era
linux has one percent market share!!!

so in summary, you should fully support my android tablet hacked to run linux 3.14 w/ kde plasma touch on the internal portal

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

unfortunately i have to because the company i work for is still mostly set up to support windows and we have like 20k employees or something so unless you're a VP or above you're not on the short list to get approved for a mac

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sniep posted:

unfortunately i have to because the company i work for is still mostly set up to support windows and we have like 20k employees or something so unless you're a VP or above you're not on the short list to get approved for a mac

im in the same boat, except that i am on that short list

so i got a mac for appearance' sake and then installed linux on it to actually accomplish work. gg me

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol macs are so bad you have to reinstall the os when you get it

pram
Jun 10, 2001
get out troll

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i just wanted a mac for the status symbol so people would know i was important enough to rate one. i knew from minute one i was gonna install linux on it

it is a legit nice laptop tho

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Shaggar posted:

right click the title bar or w/e at the top and go to properties then in layout set the window size how u want it.

ah, just like every other program. intuitive

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Shaggar posted:

lol macs are so bad you have to reinstall the os when you get it

i too love my computers preinstalled with Windows System Cleaner 2015

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
whenever i get a new windows laptop the first thing i do is use the key it comes with to reinstall windows

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
whats it like being so cool

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

GNOME's goal is to be the best Free Software operating system. We have the trademarks registered for use as an operating system. They're infringing on our trademarks.

I think you mean GNOME GNU/Linux

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mr Dog posted:

X has been the source of a lot of awfulness ever since the turn of the century

I think you mean since it first ran on a VAXstation at MIT

mechanism not policy my rear end

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Phoenixan posted:

i always said Gee In You before learning it was supposed to be guhnooo

no gnus is good gnus

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

shitface posted:

linux on the desktop is a thing that will never happen. source: my attempt to run it and ~evangelise~ it between 1997 -> 2007, when they finally opened an apple store in my home town and i went to laugh at the macfags and left with an iMac an hour later

lol

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
you can get by like 75% in a corp environment with cntlm and a WebKit browser but any sort of the most basic email/calendar exchange support is the killer which is why mail.app and calendar.app are v good to have in your OS X Unix environment

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it doesn't but evolution is so bad i would rather use win8 at work

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

shitface posted:

ah yes. endless loving tweaking of config to see if aiglx or xgl poo poo the bed less. i vaguely remember that bullshit. "oh, compositing works fine now but fullscreen video causes every fan within 1000 miles to kick in? heh, take that mactards :smuggo:"

this was a long time ago and i don't fully remember the specifics of the endless loving around but this never worked properly. not that i give a poo poo, i relegated the (excellent) server os that is linux to the server and used the one that actually works efficiently and reliably on the desktop on the desktop

compiz/beryl were loving fun on Gentoo but then I realized I should get homework done ever so I switched to wmii

then I graduated and got a job and got a mac

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

xfree and xorg are the same piece of software

Careful now, your gimmick is showing.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

my stepdads beer posted:

it doesn't but evolution is so bad i would rather use win8 at work

the exchange web interface is far and away better than evolution or mac outlook

it uses all the windows shortcuts, supports alerts, has the little sound effects when you have a calendar appointment etc. it is a rich client experience

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

l4 is much faster than mach, yes, but linux under l4 still has literally 100% system call overhead vs running linux alone

where is l4linux ever faster than linux ?

p.s. l4 is loving rad. as with mach, "running unix rly fast" is not necessarily a good design goal for a research OS

i recall that they got l4linux working faster than regular linux

on xscales (lol)

http://ssrg.nicta.com/publications/papers/Heiser_08lca.slides.pdf

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the exchange web interface is far and away better than evolution or mac outlook

it uses all the windows shortcuts, supports alerts, has the little sound effects when you have a calendar appointment etc. it is a rich client experience

new outlook is p good

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Malcolm XML posted:

i recall that they got l4linux working faster than regular linux

on xscales (lol)

http://ssrg.nicta.com/publications/papers/Heiser_08lca.slides.pdf

they had to patch linux and also rely on extremely specific cpu scheduling for syscalls. still, impressive that it was possible to get overhead that low, even if it was only a hacked-up kernel on a single architecture

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I'm installing arch right now. I'm pretty sure I used it before but I don't remember any of this

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
if you want a linux that's the same as it was last time you installed a linux, try debian or slackware

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Silver Alicorn posted:

I'm installing arch right now. I'm pretty sure I used it before but I don't remember any of this

turn left red panda nooooooooooo

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Soricidus posted:

if you want a linux that's the same as it was last time you installed a linux, try debian or slackware

or centos

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

centos 6 and 7 are worlds apart, but it shouldn't change much from now on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
If you run Linux on a desktop and aren't in the third world: Why? Is it to pretend that it is still 1985?