Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TigerRose
Mar 17, 2009
Fallen Rib
So convenient that the most crucial part of the love letter remained entirely intact so this mystery could be solved!

I like how Henry is constantly borrowing everyone else's phones. And kind of hope Abe's rival antique hunters make more appearances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

TigerRose posted:

So convenient that the most crucial part of the love letter remained entirely intact so this mystery could be solved!

Yeah that's how tv works bro

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

quote:

"The Pugilist Break"

A former junkie --now a community activist -- turns up dead of an apparent overdose.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TigerRose posted:

Henry and Cop Lady are also working other cases. In some of those the letter doesn't end up intact. Those ones don't end up on TV.

Just like how the main character soldier in the war movie doesn't survive because he's the star, he's the star because he survives.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
That was a decent episode. I can't help but notice that Henry hasn't died in a while.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Lord Bude posted:

That was a decent episode. I can't help but notice that Henry hasn't died in a while.

If you took the flashbacks out of this episode, you could entirely ignore the fact that he's immortal. And the flashbacks didn't really add anything, they just seemed to be there to remind us of the premise of the show, even though it wasn't relevant this time.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Aphrodite posted:

Henry and Cop Lady are also working other cases. In some of those the letter doesn't end up intact. Those ones don't end up on TV.

Just like how the main character soldier in the war movie doesn't survive because he's the star, he's the star because he survives.

That's how I try to look at these shows. Even when I watch true crime docs it's surprising how often some small detail or bit of evidence coincidentally turns the case around. I have to remind myself there are hundreds, probably thousands of cases that are not solved.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Tiggum posted:

If you took the flashbacks out of this episode, you could entirely ignore the fact that he's immortal. And the flashbacks didn't really add anything, they just seemed to be there to remind us of the premise of the show, even though it wasn't relevant this time.
Well, very loosely relevant. Wonder if that's a thing they're gonna keep doing or they'll drop it unless it's a little stronger, I didn't really feel much about it this time around.

Last week's episode was alright. This one sounds pretty interesting though.

quote:

"The Frustrating Thing About Psychopaths"

Henry and Jo investigate homicides that mimic those of Jack the Ripper and the Black Dahlia murder.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

This week's episode was pretty great, probably the best so far. I'm really liking this show, it's a pity the ratings are so bad.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Agreed, on both points. At this point it's probably unlikely to gather any momentum, but here's hoping it will.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

That episode was really really good. Do we know if this show got a full season?

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
This episode was really good, and holy moly did it get twisted at the end there. I thought Adam was going to drag him out of sight or something, but drat. What are our thoughts on him so far? I thought he wanted Henry as like a nemesis/experiment to pass the time, but that phone call was a lot more 'seeking a partner in crime to stave off immortal boredom' to me.

I really think this will end up being the episode where Forever found its footing.

Would ABC be taking Canadian ratings into consideration in whether or not to keep a show going if it were on the bubble? Up here it's on CTV and leads into Castle, which I think is still hugely popular, rather than rounding out the night at 10pm on Tuesdays.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I was really close to giving up on this show, to be honest. I love the premise (frankly, liked the idea more when it was New Amsterdam), but don't understand why we've only gotten normal procedural poo poo since the pilot. He isn't just Sherlock Holmes, but you wouldn't get that from most of what's aired.

It seems like they actually do have an A-plot, finally, though. A chess game between immortals seems great...certainly better than a dozen added episodes where Henry mansplains how Martinez should do her job.

Someone (erroneously) described this show as, "if Gregory House was an immortal who solved crimes instead of medical mysteries." I so wish it was that, though. Because right now, Henry is a condescending rear end, but nobody really challenges him on it, and it's all so civil. We have plenty of Holmes-ian geniuses on TV, but what made House great was how obviously a dick he was, and how confrontationally his staff dealt with that.

If, for instance, his ME assistant wasn't just a chinless nebbish, but a Foreman type who actually calls him out on his poo poo. Or at least refuses to take abuse.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Another episode where Henry being immortal just doesn't come up at all. This premise is so wasted. He didn't even kill himself at the end to cure his bullet wound.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Another episode where Henry being immortal just doesn't come up at all. This premise is so wasted. He didn't even kill himself at the end to cure his bullet wound.

Well he did die in that flashback.

I'm actually pleased they aren't trying to force the gimmick by contriving a death for him every episode. It's an enjoyable procedural with an appealing cast and I'm happy for the immortality stuff to be on the backburner.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm actually pleased they aren't trying to force the gimmick by contriving a death for him every episode. It's an enjoyable procedural with an appealing cast and I'm happy for the immortality stuff to be on the backburner.

Yeah, I want more of the Adam plot but they don't need to find a contrived way for him to die every episode. We know he comes back, and they can use it when it would actually drive the plot (the last episode I watched where Adam slits his throat to keep the cop buddy from discovering his 'secret' was really well done for example) but it would get really old if they were like 'ok, how do we have him die this week?'

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

The flashback didn't really add anything to the episode though. It seemed to exist just so they could have him die and come back in the episode.

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, I want more of the Adam plot but they don't need to find a contrived way for him to die every episode.
Yeah, I don't want them to have him die every episode or anything like that, but these episodes where the premise is totally irrelevant aren't any better, in my opinion. They almost made it relevant with him being reckless and not caring too much about being shot, but I'm pretty sure the exact same thing has happened in Castle. He doesn't come across as reckless because he's immortal, just as pretty standard for this type of character in this sort of show.

The Adam plot has potential, but we haven't really got any idea where it's heading yet, and I'm getting the impression that it's kind of on the back burner because the writers haven't worked out where they're going with it. The whole show kind of feels like that. They have a cool premise but they haven't figured out what to do with it,

chapstickie
Apr 30, 2011
I don't need a death every episode but I would love to see one episode where he dies a bunch of times. Just one, set over a particularly deathy few days.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

What's the range on his respawn deal? The coastline is right there in New York, but what if he was in the Sahara or something? Just, nearest neighbor? The Mediterranean?

What if he became an astronaut? Went to Mars or something and died. Would he bounce back 140 million miles? And more to the point, would he wake up instantaneously, or would it take ~15 minutes for the signal to get back to earth?

I DEMAND ANSWERS, WRITERS OF FOREVER!!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

chapstickie posted:

I don't need a death every episode but I would love to see one episode where he dies a bunch of times. Just one, set over a particularly deathy few days.

If he died every episode it would get stupid really, really quickly.

Adam needs a bit more fleshing out, but it seems like they want to draw it out over the seasons before introducing more supernatural elements like Adam being 2000 years old. I kind of expect Adam to be much younger, like maybe a few more centuries older then Henry and has always been a bit of a misanthrope.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

pentyne posted:

Adam needs a bit more fleshing out, but it seems like they want to draw it out over the seasons before introducing more supernatural elements like Adam being 2000 years old. I kind of expect Adam to be much younger, like maybe a few more centuries older then Henry and has always been a bit of a misanthrope.

It felt to me like they were playing the 2,000 years thing straight. Especially the phone call at the end of the serial killer episode, Henry tells him he's nothing like Adam and Adam is all "Well, you're a young man". Seriously felt like they were setting up that Adam started off the same but after a couple millenium has gone past bored and into more of a dissociated apathy kind of deal.

The implication being that that is Henry's future.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

WarLocke posted:

It felt to me like they were playing the 2,000 years thing straight. Especially the phone call at the end of the serial killer episode, Henry tells him he's nothing like Adam and Adam is all "Well, you're a young man". Seriously felt like they were setting up that Adam started off the same but after a couple millenium has gone past bored and into more of a dissociated apathy kind of deal.

The implication being that that is Henry's future.

That's what I'm thinking. It sounds really interesting to think that Adam might have started out a really nice guy 2000 years ago, but being immortal really sucks all the joy out of life, until eventually, one day, you get bored enough that you start killing, just for something different.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Finally caught last week's episode off abc's site. Still really like the show, but the relationship between Abe and Henry has to be my favorite part.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I've seen a few episodes here or there, how is this doing in the ratings?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

I've seen a few episodes here or there, how is this doing in the ratings?
Doing solid enough it got a full season order.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I'm getting really impatient with this show for something to happen. Normally the larger plot arcs in cop shows just annoy me, but him being immortal is the whole premise and they're just not doing anything with it. If Adam's not going to start doing something then Martinez needs to find out that Henry is immortal. If they just wanted to make a new version of Castle I'd be fine with that, but you can't just have your protagonist be immortal and then make that totally irrelevant.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Nah, Henry is played by a boring actor. He's just not lead material.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Was the main plot for the seventh episode a variation on "I know what you did last Summer" ? It was either that or another "thriller" of that sort that I watched 10 or so years ago. (lol no, it was like twenty years ago, and now I'm old).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

wormil posted:

Nah, Henry is played by a boring actor. He's just not lead material.

I like him. He was also good in hornblower.

Supernatural stuff aside it's a nice procedural with compelling characters that have good chemistry.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Ioan Gruffyd is great, they just need to move forward with the immortality stuff. A lot of recent shows have hit the ground running and just really push their plots, and I feel like that's a much better way to handle it than to try to drag it out over entire seasons with only hints of overarcing stuff here and there.

Kind of hoping the season finale has him dying right in front of whatshername (and/or the assistant ME) and then season 2 can pick up with the 'wtf is this Henry' fallout.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

WarLocke posted:

Kind of hoping the season finale has him dying right in front of whatshername (and/or the assistant ME) and then season 2 can pick up with the 'wtf is this Henry' fallout.
Season finale? You want them to wait entire first season before doing anything with the premise?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Season finale? You want them to wait entire first season before doing anything with the premise?

Well they're already halfway through a season or I would call it for a mid-season finale.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
I really, really hope they don't stretch that reveal out too long. Whether it's "Will they/won't they get together" or "Will they/won't they find out about The Secret," it's almost always infuriatingly drawn out. I hope with how long it took them to get that full season order, the writers shaped up and realized they'd need to get to certain landmark episodes a lot quicker than other shows do. I know they already made the point of Henry still being untrusting with his secret, but that can only hold out for so long. Got my fingers crossed for a mid-season finale reveal.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

KatWithHands posted:

I really, really hope they don't stretch that reveal out too long. Whether it's "Will they/won't they get together" or "Will they/won't they find out about The Secret," it's almost always infuriatingly drawn out. I hope with how long it took them to get that full season order, the writers shaped up and realized they'd need to get to certain landmark episodes a lot quicker than other shows do. I know they already made the point of Henry still being untrusting with his secret, but that can only hold out for so long. Got my fingers crossed for a mid-season finale reveal.

Agreed. It's not like this is POI, which as I understand it sorta bait-and-switched the procedural fans with hiding its supernatural aspects. The supernatural premise is right up front so the slow pacing is bad frustrating not good frustrating.

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014

KatWithHands posted:

I had good hopes for them keeping good pace in the storyline. But after last episode im not so sure anymore. I think there is a big chance we get a castle-esque show out of this where it takes a fuckton of time for the plot to develop whilst filling time with solving random murders noone is really interested in.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

BarbarousBertha posted:

Agreed. It's not like this is POI, which as I understand it sorta bait-and-switched the procedural fans with hiding its supernatural aspects. The supernatural premise is right up front so the slow pacing is bad frustrating not good frustrating.

Person of Interest? What? Maybe I should watch that...

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

PaulDirac posted:

I had good hopes for them keeping good pace in the storyline. But after last episode im not so sure anymore. I think there is a big chance we get a castle-esque show out of this where it takes a fuckton of time for the plot to develop whilst filling time with solving random murders noone is really interested in.

It's first and foremost a procedural, and I have no problem with that. It reminds me a bit of bones, before bones went to poo poo.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

PaulDirac posted:

Except that with Castle the murder of the week was the whole point of the show and the overarching plot was terrible and unnecessary.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

WarLocke posted:

Person of Interest? What? Maybe I should watch that...

It's not supernatural elements so much as cyberpunky sci-fi and a side of conspiracy thriller superheroism. Seeing as you post in superhero show threads, WarLocke, I think PoI would be right up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014

Tiggum posted:

Except that with Castle the murder of the week was the whole point of the show and the overarching plot was terrible and unnecessary.

I dont know, I quite liked the overarching plot. Not nescesarily the whole stuff about kate's mother being killed and the whole conspiracy stuff. Rather it providing space for the characters to develop and interact on a human level rather than blurting cheeky lines or having lots of aha moments about the murder at hand. Besides, the murder cases started to get more ridiculous by the episode. The settings and motives of some of the murders were outright dumb. I want to see them solve murders by real killers that are crazy psychopaths rather than a jealous model killing another model or reality tv stars being jealous....now i think of it a lot of the murderers had some sort of envy at the core of their motives.

• Locked thread