Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Makeup department not doing Penny any favors with that lipstick.

Danzel Glovington posted:

It literally seems that the writers don't care what the explanation is they just say, "oh we have all these jokes about the woman making more money than the man that the public will just eat up like bird seed, no need to explain them the actors can sort that out"

There are a lot of jokes about Howard's mommy issues.
There are a lot of jokes about Bernedette becoming Howard's mother.
Children are irresponsible with money.
Ergo, Bernedette scolds Howard when he wastes his money, like any good mother would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

But really, anyone that buys collectors plates of anything needs to be scolded like a child.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Fateo McMurray posted:

But really, anyone that buys collectors plates of anything needs to be scolded like a child.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Billy Bob Thornton is perhaps too creepy here.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
This is great.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I missed the bit at the end, but did that whole Amy/Bernadette hostility angle go anywhere? It seems like it just happened and then went nowhere.

Bellakitty
Dec 28, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Billy Bob Thornton is perhaps too creepy here.

I loved this show tonight.

"Spoiler alert. He was worried about nothing."

hah. OMG best episode this season, so far.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

Macrame_God posted:

I missed the bit at the end, but did that whole Amy/Bernadette hostility angle go anywhere? It seems like it just happened and then went nowhere.

No, all was forgiven when they went to go save the guys.

About the money thing
My guess is Howard hands his checks over to her, so she can handle the bills. Knowing how bad he is with money this is possible.

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 31, 2014

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

joebuddah posted:

No, all was forgiven when they went to go save the guys.

Which is kind of dissapointing since the Amy/Bernadette hostility was the most interesting part of the episode, in my opinion. I liked the direction it was going in - a honest arguement between friends where they both sorta have a point and has the making to end in a humorous way. But no, it was basically dropped so the guys could get locked in a basement geeking out about videogames.

I get it, the premise of the show is that these are super nerdy man-children. But we are 8 seasons in now, can we get please get some senarios that human adults could concievably find themselves in?

It seemed like the writers started the show down the right path with the introduction of the girl counterparts but there is like, no development of these characters. I know Howard/Bernadette got married and Leonard/Penny are engaged but they hardly act like it, even when exploring 'relationship' issues.

I know this is a sitcom and one of the base rules is that "nothing ever changes", but there have been plenty of funny shows that still allow thier characters to evolve over time. "Ha, ha, aren't these guys the funniest nerds ever" sure does get tired after 8 seasons.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
They had a good one at the end of last season. The issue what to do about a roommate who is your friend once you get engaged / married. But this issue was also dropped for a wacky Sheldon meltdown.

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 31, 2014

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Yeah it's really weird that you have Leonard and Penny about to get married and living in separate apartments, even if theyre right next to each other.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Just for context:

http://www.universetoday.com/41252/astronaut-salary/

quote:

Some astronauts are hired as civilian employees while others come over from the military. Civilian astronauts are paid according to a government scale that ranges from classifications GS-11 to GS-14.

In 2012, employees living in Houston (where astronaut training facilities are located) make a minimum of $64,724 for a GS-11 to a maximum of $141,715 for a GS-14. As employees pick up more qualifications, responsibility and experience, their salaries increase.

Military salaries were not disclosed, but NASA said those employees from the armed forces “remain in an active duty status for pay, benefits, leave, and other similar military matters.”

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
A cal tech research engineer makes 80662 according to glassesdoor.
http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Caltech-California-Senior-Research-Fellow-Salaries-E22139_D_KO19,41.htm

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I have to give the show props for having Amy get mad at Bernadette not because she was jealous she wasn't asked, but because she felt it damaged the standing of female scientists.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I think the idea is the guys blow tons of money on comics and collectibles. Howard's last "why would you spend this money" was on a 3-D printer, but given that between the 4 of them they pull down close to $400k and none of them have a mortgage, expensive car payments, children etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they do a plot line where it turns out Sheldon has nearly a million just sitting in a checking account and can't understand why he should go through the trouble of investing it.

The joke will probably be that he buys an antique locomotive with all the money and would then point out its value would increase over time and he can't sit inside a mutual fund and pretend to be a conductor.

The only other sitcom I can remember that did "large savings account" was Friends, when it turned out Chandler had saved up a ton of money during his career and when Monica found out she wanted to use it on her "dream" wedding dress. The fact that he came around and acquiesced to her blew my mind even at a young age that someone would put that kind of money towards a single consumer item.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 31, 2014

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

pentyne posted:

I think the idea is the guys blow tons of money on comics and collectibles. Howard's last "why would you spend this money" was on a 3-D printer, but given that between the 4 of them they pull down close to $400k and none of them have a mortgage, expensive car payments, children etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they do a plot line where it turns out Sheldon has nearly a million just sitting in a checking account and can't understand why he should go through the trouble of investing it.

The joke will probably be that he buys an antique locomotive with all the money and would then point out its value would increase over time and he can't sit inside a mutual fund and pretend to be a conductor.

The only other sitcom I can remember that did "large savings account" was Friends, when it turned out Chandler had saved up a ton of money during his career and when Monica found out she wanted to use it on her "dream" wedding dress. The fact that he came around and acquiesced to her blew my mind even at a young age that someone would put that kind of money towards a single consumer item.

You can blow a ton of money on comics and things, but not really that much.

I would also kill to have an antique locomotive.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

sbaldrick posted:

You can blow a ton of money on comics and things, but not really that much.

I would also kill to have an antique locomotive.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh

I can imagine if you tried to collect high grade copies of Vol 1 of most of the Silver Age heroes you would be spending an absolute fortune. And if you were collecting Golden Age Batman and Superman stuff as well you would have to be a multi-millionaire.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Sheldon seems like the kind of guy who would intrinsically understand the time value of money and have invested his savings accordingly in mutual funds, bonds and other secure, low-effort investments.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

pentyne posted:

In the episode where he loaned Penny money to pay her bills, he mentioned he has a small savings account and keeps the balance in a can guarded by coiled snakes and the rest in "the hollowed out buttocks of a superhero action figure" which Leonard later reveals to be Green Lantern.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
The Prom Equivalency

Amy, Bernadette, and Penny decide to re-enact their high school proms with their respective fellows. Raj, Emily, and Stuart are included too.

Bellakitty
Dec 28, 2008

I thought it was a great episode.
They fleshed out the Sheldon/Amy relationship a teeny bit. Not a LOT but a little.

And I enjoyed the Stuart stuff. Just enough Stuart to drive Howard nuts.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yeah I thought this thread would blow up! Sheldon told Amy he loves her. Sure it's his weird, emotionally-stunted mysophobic love, but it was a huge revelation.

Nice to see Raj's girlfriend get in some laughs, and Stuart take part also. The writers packed a lot into 22 minutes.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Binary Logic posted:

Yeah I thought this thread would blow up!

Most goons hate this show, and a lot of the ones who don't have gotten tired of it and stopped watching, so it's a really quiet thread these days.

I enjoyed this episode. Lots going on, and as you said, some actual character development too.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I realized there's a way for Howard to get his mother back and forget all about Stuart. Although plot-wise it will have to wait. The way to have Mrs Wolowitz back, interfering with his life and doting on him is: a Bernie baby.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Oh god, I hope they don't do a tired-rear end baby plot any time soon.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
This was actually a good episode. I was expecting the tuxes to be for the wedding not prom. This was a huge step for Shamey. I don't think they will do a kid with Howard and Bernie because she has already said she doesn't want kids.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club
I liked how they handled Sheldon saying I love you to Amy. I also think Amy has grown a lot too. She had a period where all she talked about was sex and all she did was try to have sex. She seems to be passed that. She is just going to wait it out, because pushing Sheldon is too much of a risk of losing him for good.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Did this show's night move?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sub Rosa posted:

Yes. From Monday to Thursday.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Big Bang Theory Lego.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Binary Logic posted:

Yeah I thought this thread would blow up! Sheldon told Amy he loves her. Sure it's his weird, emotionally-stunted mysophobic love, but it was a huge revelation.

Nice to see Raj's girlfriend get in some laughs, and Stuart take part also. The writers packed a lot into 22 minutes.
The show is routinely in the 19 minute range including the theme song and those atom transitions between scenes and to/from commercials. Talk about getting the most from as little content as possible.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

The show is routinely in the 19 minute range including the theme song and those atom transitions between scenes and to/from commercials. Talk about getting the most from as little content as possible.

and then subtract pauses for laughter, leaving around 15 minutes of scripted dialogue LOL.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Binary Logic posted:

Yeah I thought this thread would blow up!

No-one gives a gently caress about the characters anymore.

The only way this thread would blow up is if Sheldon did what we're all expecting him to do and kill all of his "friends" in a rage over some trivial thing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kin posted:

No-one gives a gently caress about the characters anymore.

The only way this thread would blow up is if Sheldon did what we're all expecting him to do and kill all of his "friends" in a rage over some trivial thing.

Maybe they're saving it for sweeps.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

PostNouveau posted:

Maybe they're saving it for sweeps.

That would make seasons 9 & 10 kinda empty.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

That would make seasons 9 & 10 kinda empty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqN4V4dExbs

I'd watch it

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Dang, I thought they'd already manufactured the set. I was curious to see what it looked like.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Sub Rosa posted:

Whoops. Thread title fixed.

I liked this episode.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

There are a lot of jokes about Howard's mommy issues.
There are a lot of jokes about Bernedette becoming Howard's mother.

Guess those issues are either going to come to a head. The actress who voiced his mother just died.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/carol-ann-susi-dead-big-748433?mobile_redirect=false

Wonder if they'll just have Bernadette to voice her or if they'll actually kill her off in the show and go the Howard dealing with his mom dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Jack Skeleton posted:

Guess those issues are either going to come to a head. The actress who voiced his mother just died.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/carol-ann-susi-dead-big-748433?mobile_redirect=false

Wonder if they'll just have Bernadette to voice her or if they'll actually kill her off in the show and go the Howard dealing with his mom dying.

Sad news indeed.

I think it will be a difficult topic for the show to deal with, because they had Howard look forward to his mom dying in quiete a few episodes. It was also one of the first things he and Bernadette bonded over on their first date.

King of Foolians posted:

I know this is a sitcom and one of the base rules is that "nothing ever changes", but there have been plenty of funny shows that still allow thier characters to evolve over time. "Ha, ha, aren't these guys the funniest nerds ever" sure does get tired after 8 seasons.

You mean like Sheldon getting a "girlfriend" and actually kissing her/saying that he loves her?
Or Penny and Lennard getting engaged?
Or Raj being able to talk to woman, having a girl friend?
Or Howard getting married? Penny getting ditching her waitress/actress career to become a pharma rep?

• Locked thread