Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

:clap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Mt Quote

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Greyhawk posted:

The hacker stole my bitcoin
November 11, 2014, 03:36:49 PM
Reply with quote #1

The hacker stole my bitcoin two day ago,a small amount , less than 0.2BTC, I want to know how can I protect my coins,if a large number of bitcoins I know I use offline wallet, but a small amount of Bitcoins,I only set the password, but it seems not enough.

give them back

you are a hacker

they arent even online

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

disco stu is on the board of the buttcoin foundation ya know

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

AlbieQuirky posted:

iirc the MIT bookstore was taking Bitcoins (via BitPay) but since the launch was so delayed it'll probably see the most business from "buying a sweatshirt for my brother with the fake money some weirdo gave me" because everyone has their books already

the mit bookstore has one of those dumb bitcoin atms i walk by it like every day

theres a big tihng hanging in the window thats all like you can buy bitcoin here

i feel shame every time i see it

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
yeah that thing isn't an orphaned block, they even linked the address in that post
https://blockchain.info/address/1HhZiiR5wM97Z9ZCVwa3uhFhjW5wnbsAAi
mining reward goes in, transfers out half an hour later

possible explanations include
  • the address is a lovely brainwallet or generated by defective PRNG
  • the address is on file with some insecure and/or scam exchange etc
  • the miner did something extra dumb like get a virus or save their wallet.dat on dropbox
  • the miner moved it themself and is trying to scam donations

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, It's not the video but the twins posted their presentation. You know, the one that they gave to big-shot money managers?

I haven't even read all of it (quickposting before any of you assholes beats me to the glory) but I'm sure that it is going to be really, really dumb.

https://winklevosscapital.com/money-is-broken-but-its-future-is-not/

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
"Money cannot be a gas, otherwise it would leak out of your piggybank".

-Two adult men.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

tbh reading through the slide deck it isnt that terrible

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

augh gently caress just got to slide 31 nevermind

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

trucutru posted:

"Money cannot be a gas, otherwise it would leak out of your piggybank".

-Two adult men.

we require more vespene bitcoins

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yep goes straight the gently caress off the rails towards the end :rip:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

imagine money was a gas and stored in a balloon. and you just release enough to pay for what you want. and it has a really distinctive smell so it can't be duplicated.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

theyre disqualifying 'radiactive' elements like uranium so i guess they understand nuclear chemistry about as well as they understand anything else

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
ostensibly that is why money was developed but it came more organically out of people realizing that if you bartered for things the rich and powerful liked, ypu could trade that to almost anyone

then people realized the value of counterfeiting, then the value of providing a guarantee against counterfeiting, ans etc. etc.

I hate how they assume the only reason gold was chosen as money was because it was rare. It's that rich people loved it to make poo poo out of it, that's why it becomes a reliable barter unit

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

Bloody posted:

yep goes straight the gently caress off the rails towards the end :rip:

google should make an offer it's right up their moonshot alley

also they fail to define how money is holding trade back despite mentioning it as a problem several times

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

no its because there's no money over ip protocol

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
as others have said it's not the dumbest thing until the end

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

ostensibly that is why money was developed but it came more organically out of people realizing that if you bartered for things the rich and powerful liked, ypu could trade that to almost anyone

then people realized the value of counterfeiting, then the value of providing a guarantee against counterfeiting, ans etc. etc.

I hate how they assume the only reason gold was chosen as money was because it was rare. It's that rich people loved it to make poo poo out of it, that's why it becomes a reliable barter unit

gold wasn't even the first currency. clay tablets stamped with poo poo were the first.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

jfc

Robawesome fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 12, 2014

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug
i'm going to lose my apartment because my refrigerator won't loan me a few ApplianceCoins to pay the rent this month

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

this occurred a few years ago thanks to hft

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

vOv posted:

theyre disqualifying 'radiactive' elements like uranium so i guess they understand nuclear chemistry about as well as they understand anything else

Well, they also say that the rare earths are radioactive (nobody mention loving promethium) and my buckyballs are giving me cancer.

Mr. Nice! posted:

gold wasn't even the first currency. clay tablets stamped with poo poo were the first.

And the barter economy is a myth (It was more of an I.O.U economy) and they are full of poo poo.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

trucutru posted:

my buckyballs are giving me cancer.

should've done more self-exams

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

reminder: if there is a single human overseeing the operation of the agents, the autonomous corporation becomes a regular corporation with a complicated asset management system.

point the second, if it would be profitable to own shares of an autonomous corporation, it would be just as profitable to own and oversee it in a traditional manner

thirdly, there is no legal precedence for autonomous corporations, a server cannot be liable for damages so either the original programmer or stockholders would be sued. also if the corp doesn't belong to anyone, there's nothing stopping someone from taking it over. if anyone had the power to object, they would be in a position of legal authority in the corporation

Jesus this poo poo is so dumb dumb dumb dumb

holylemon
May 24, 2004

Dude, have you ever touched a dolphin?

Fun Shoe

Werthog 95 posted:

omg there's declarations from jeff ownby AND josh zerlan. why can't i see them. where the hell are they

i spent like $1 on PACER to get these, you're welcome

Josh:

Jeff:

some employee:

some other employee:

some idiot customer:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

trucutru posted:

Ok, It's not the video but the twins posted their presentation. You know, the one that they gave to big-shot money managers?

I haven't even read all of it (quickposting before any of you assholes beats me to the glory) but I'm sure that it is going to be really, really dumb.

https://winklevosscapital.com/money-is-broken-but-its-future-is-not/

holy poo poo

PleasureKevin fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 12, 2014

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

holylemon posted:

Thanks! 1 bit /u/changetip

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

theflyingexecutive posted:

thirdly, there is no legal precedence for autonomous corporations, a server cannot be liable for damages

aaand there's the rub

"it wasn't me manipulating the market, it was this bot" :smuggo:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

holylemon posted:

Josh:

Jeff:

some employee:

some other employee:

some idiot customer:

aww man he's just defending their mining, not his forum posts

notice though that he never denies that bfl told customers they weren't mining real bitcoins with their hardware :newlol:

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Ben Grahams Ghost posted:

i'm going to lose my apartment because my refrigerator won't loan me a few ApplianceCoins to pay the rent this month

I own all of your food now as I am the high bidder with your refrigerator, however as part of the negotiations it was determined that you may have access to my toaster between the hours of 3pm and 5pm every other weekday.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

holylemon posted:

bless you. those customer statements are gold

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

isn't that last statement literally provably false with the buttcoin thing

or are they trying to do some sort of semantic loophole with the word "profitable"

holylemon
May 24, 2004

Dude, have you ever touched a dolphin?

Fun Shoe

Werthog 95 posted:

aww man he's just defending their mining, not his forum posts

notice though that he never denies that bfl told customers they weren't mining real bitcoins with their hardware :newlol:

my favorite part is that they submitted declarations from three customers who were happy with their products, as though that proves anything. people being too stupid to realize you're not a scammer doesn't make you legit

e: re profitability, their argument seems to be that (1) they weren't promising future results, only showing what people had achieved in the past or at the present moment, (2) people should have realized that if BFL was actually shipping on time, they wouldn't have been able to profit anyway, and (3) up uP UP.

from that "room heater" guy (david mcclain, their "large accounts manager")

"With respect to the so-called profitability calculator that was once posted as a hyperlink to BF Labs' Facebook page, the calculator is intended only for people who have already obtained mining equipment. The calculator page states '[c]alculate how much your shiny new rig is making you' (emphasis added) -- present tense, not future. Past or present tense is the only way the calculator could work because the calculator requires a user to input the applicable Bitcoin exchange rate, among other variables.

This profitability calculator ignores the critical fact that had consumers received the miners when any consumer asserted that it should have, so would have all other consumers in the queue who were awaiting devices. The resulting influx of additional miners would dramatically change any earnings calculations.

If the price of Bitcoin rises high enough, all prior generations of mining equipment would be worth operating because the number of Bitcoins mined would be worth significant value."

holylemon fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 13, 2014

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

Exinos posted:

I own all of your food now as I am the high bidder with your refrigerator, however as part of the negotiations it was determined that you may have access to my toaster between the hours of 3pm and 5pm every other weekday.

sad news, while I was accessing your toaster my neighbor's car hacked it and stole all of its coin and now your toaster is destitute

maybe it can toast dicks behind the local 7/11 and pull itself up by its bootstraps like a true captain of industry

BennyGsGhost fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 13, 2014

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Ursine Asylum posted:

isn't that last statement literally provably false with the buttcoin thing

or are they trying to do some sort of semantic loophole with the word "profitable"

they didn't advertise its profitability, just its hash rate. they also posted hash rate->profitability calculators on their sites iirc but i don't see how that's related :downs:

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

In the bold bitcoin future, the idea guys will be gods.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The Management posted:

this assumes that the price of bitcoins is based on real market dynamics instead of hype, scams, and idiots.

i'm pretty sure those factors are critically important for the real economic markets, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's true; abstractions of value like that do go back crazy far, which makes their anger against fiat currency even funnier. Just in the European context, gold wasn't picked through some rational study or something, it ties directly to the value those in power accorded to it. That's what always defines money, something you don't use yourself but you know for a fact a rich/powerful person will trade you for.

Decentralization value simply can't work the way they think it does. that's why tgey end up saying stupid poo poo like 'water has no value'

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 13, 2014

• Locked thread