Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

dee eight posted:

-50f

Hang on, I'll find the old post and quote the relevant part.

Coldest I've experienced myself (to my knowledge). That's -38F, and of course the cabin we go to don't have a garage. Had to glow the V50 for maybe 20 sec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Coldest I've experienced myself (to my knowledge). That's -38F, and of course the cabin we go to don't have a garage. Had to glow the V50 for maybe 20 sec.

That's impressive. The Subaru digital thermometer stops at -32'C.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I think my California-calibrated body would freeze and snap in half at about 15 degrees farenheit.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Had a week of -43 to -45 (and then wind) back in Manitoba a few years ago, and last year here in NE Ontario had 2-3 days of -40'ish. I love winter at -15 to -20, don't mind it to -25, tolerate it to -30, and after that gently caress you I'm staying inside. Those really cold days I fire up the woodstove to help the furnace out, and avoid using the vehicle not in the garage. Its just loving gross out at those temperatures, and you want to slowly warm everything up so you don't break bits off your ride.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIsG_8TVokw

yeah look at this rear end in a top hat destroying his car he should have taken off immediately with his nearly-solid gearbox oil and nonfunctioning gauges

(but long idling your car to warm it up in remotely warm weather is dumb, the group I used to hang out with would warm their cars up for like a half hour in Florida summer nights before driving off)

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Remote start crew checking in. If it's below 35 and the car is outside then it's getting idled so I have heat.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

Yeah, that could be me someday. The dog loves dump runs, they give him biscuits.

I also carry 8 bags of groceries into the house at once rather than make two trips. I really need to learn to take it easy.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Fucknag posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIsG_8TVokw

yeah look at this rear end in a top hat destroying his car he should have taken off immediately with his nearly-solid gearbox oil and nonfunctioning gauges

If I lived where it was that cold I would probably have a battery warmer plus warming pads on the transmission case plus a remote start.

When it's below 20f or so my car makes funny noises and doesn't like to shift until it's warmed up a bit. Yesterday we had a high of 12 (-11c).

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Bibendum posted:

Yeah, that could be me someday. The dog loves dump runs, they give him biscuits.

I also carry 8 bags of groceries into the house at once rather than make two trips. I really need to learn to take it easy.

There was another couch inside the 4runner, gently caress multiple trips.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Bibendum posted:

People don't do this?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Siochain posted:

Had a week of -43 to -45 (and then wind) back in Manitoba a few years ago, and last year here in NE Ontario had 2-3 days of -40'ish. I love winter at -15 to -20, don't mind it to -25, tolerate it to -30, and after that gently caress you I'm staying inside. Those really cold days I fire up the woodstove to help the furnace out, and avoid using the vehicle not in the garage. Its just loving gross out at those temperatures, and you want to slowly warm everything up so you don't break bits off your ride.

Having lived in some hellishly cold places myself I really can't tell once it gets to a certain temp. Its just bitterly cold. We would run out to start the car in whatever inside clothes we had and come back in 10 minutes once it had heated up.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Negromancer posted:

There was another couch inside the 4runner, gently caress multiple trips.

The couch and dump talk reminds me of when I was at the dump a few months back throwing garbage bags in the compactor made for them. When a truck pulled up to the other side, and the people proceeded to throw in a huge two piece couch. :psyduck:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Possibly Chicken posted:

The couch and dump talk reminds me of when I was at the dump a few months back throwing garbage bags in the compactor made for them. When a truck pulled up to the other side, and the people proceeded to throw in a huge two piece couch. :psyduck:

With bedbugs you take no chances, and hold no prisoners.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Geirskogul posted:

With bedbugs you take no chances, and hold no prisoners.

Explains why I don't buy used furniture.

Mexican plates.

Folks in third world developing countries really don't give a gently caress about overloading trucks. As long as it can move under it's own power and everything fits, it's all good. Makes for some hilarious (read: horrifying) accidents, though.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Had a truck with a trailer both filled up like that in front of me and my family on the interstate in downtown Nashville going like 20 in rush hour traffic. gently caress that person for life

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Possibly Chicken posted:

gently caress that person for life

This is probably not very long.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Jesus Christ, people, how do you spin your wheels so much over and over again on snow? Don't press the gas so much, or don't let out the clutch so fast, or get loving winter tires. You'd think the road was sheer ice by the way people gently caress this up, but, nope, it turns out an idiot like myself in a RWD car can handle it just fine.

The more I see, the more winter driving freaks me out. Not because I'm worried about my driving, but because I'm worried about everyone else's driving. I'm not God's gift to driving, I don't drive many miles compared to average, and I have some bad habits; everyone should be able to drive at least as well as me, frankly.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

PT6A posted:

Jesus Christ, people, how do you spin your wheels so much over and over again on snow? Don't press the gas so much, or don't let out the clutch so fast, or get loving winter tires. You'd think the road was sheer ice by the way people gently caress this up, but, nope, it turns out an idiot like myself in a RWD car can handle it just fine.

The more I see, the more winter driving freaks me out. Not because I'm worried about my driving, but because I'm worried about everyone else's driving. I'm not God's gift to driving, I don't drive many miles compared to average, and I have some bad habits; everyone should be able to drive at least as well as me, frankly.

I'm pretty sure the thought process is just "I'm not going anywhere, better press on the gas (for once)"

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

PT6A posted:

Reminds me of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuTXUcoGdhw

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Everyday Lurker posted:

Mexican plates.

Folks in third world developing countries really don't give a gently caress about overloading trucks. As long as it can move under it's own power and everything fits, it's all good. Makes for some hilarious (read: horrifying) accidents, though.

You see lots of trucks like that here in San Diego. You also see chairs, sofas, beds and all sorts of other poo poo all over the shoulders of the freeway with the frequency increasing the further south you go. I'm not sure CHP gives a poo poo since I've never seen a trash truck pulled over.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Whatever I do in my life, I just strive to not be this guy who mashes a button and screams to solve problems rather than apply a few seconds of thoughtful problem solving. I actually feel sorry for that guy's family. Ah gently caress it, who am I kidding, they're probably all lovely assholes too

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I feel like I could've done a better job and I've literally never driven in snow.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Even when there isn't snow people don't understand how useless spinning wheels are. There's a driveway across the street from me that slopes downward really steeply, it often floods their garage during rainstorms. One day I'm sitting inside and I hear the sound of a one wheel peel, and it's just not stopping. Nearly 15 minutes of this screeching goes on and I finally venture across the street to see what the deal is. Some poor guy had tried to use that driveway to turn around in his 2WD ranger. Since he went in headfirst every time he tried to reverse what little weight was over his rear wheels disappeared and he went nowhere. I had to slowly coach the guy into holding the brake on while giving it gas then slowly letting the brake off so the weight wouldn't shift and he didn't lose traction.

I only had my learners permit at the time. They are all around us.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I was driving home last night on a pretty busy highway when I almost hit a merging ghost car. Black car, at 6:00pm with no lights on, and didn't even have DRL's.

(Philly goons, this is 309 North coming from the turnpike).
I noticed him in time, he didn't respond to me flicking my lights at him, and he ended up behind me eventually when I got off at the exit onto Norristown Road/Sumneytown pike, which is a dark as poo poo road.

At every red light, I'd turn my lights on and off, and even resorted to grabbing my phone and flicking the flashlight on and off at him. A guy turning at a major intersection (202) almost creamed him because he didn't see him after I passed, so from that point on I made sure he was relatively close behind me and every time I'd see a car about to pull out after me, I'd slow down right in front of them so they wouldn't pull into him.

Finally when we made it into the town I got out of my car at the light, and it still took him about 20 seconds of me saying "TURN ON YOUR LIGHTS" while pointing to my lights and his lights before he realized that he was going to kill someone.

I have no idea how this guy didn't notice his lights were off, at a certain point I was at least 150 yards from him, he was driving in complete darkness and still didn't notice. Maybe he eats a poo poo load of carrots or something.

I can say he was very good about signalling lane changes and turns though, so he's better than about 90% of the people on the road in that regard.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 13, 2014

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Crosspost from osha.jpg

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I like how he brushes himself off at the end.

"C'mon man, that was my good coat. Now it's filthy."

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
That guy's next two purchases (in order of importance): new pair of underwear and a lottery ticket.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Drunk maybe? This is a big thing cops look for in drunk drivers.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

What's the universal signal for "turn on your lights, dumbass"? I thought it was flashing the brights. My 40 minute commute in dim grey fog-drizzle had 34 cars with zero lights, not even fog lamps or DRLs.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 13, 2014

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

And one idiot (also without headlights) who stopped on the ramp instead of merging. I stopped in time but the guy behind me had to swerve.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

What's the universal signal for "turn on your lights, dumbass"? I thought it was flashing the brights. My 40 minute commute in dim grey fog-drizzle had 34 cars with zero lights, not even fog lamps or DRLs.

I use the headlights 'off-on-off-on' signal for that with maybe a 1 in 4 success rate.

Flashing brights is for 'dim yours, butthead' or 'cop ahead' or 'some other hazard ahead'.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think the problem is that the on-off signal requires that people actually pay a slight amount of attention to their mirrors. With the sort of person who's too loving stupid to turn on their lights to begin with, you can see why it doesn't work.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Flashing your headlights is a sure way to get killed by MEXICAN GANGS.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

PT6A posted:

I think the problem is that the on-off signal requires that people actually pay a slight amount of attention to their mirrors. With the sort of person who's too loving stupid to turn on their lights to begin with, you can see why it doesn't work.

The majority of non-headlight users I see are in oncoming traffic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Flashing your headlights is a sure way to get killed by MEXICAN GANGS.

That's not what they said when I was in high school, back then it was BLACK GANGS.

In a town that didn't actually have any gangs. But it was a sure sign that the gangs were coming.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Recently, here in Chicago, I flashed my brights at a car with no headlights. The cars occupants were sitting low, wearing hooded sweatshirts, listening to loud rap music and were predominantly non-white (just like my Uncle said they would be). Anyways, they turned on their lights and waved thank you. They didn't murder me even a little bit. 2/10 stars, would not flash again

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

AncientTV posted:

Drunk maybe? This is a big thing cops look for in drunk drivers.

I don't think so, he was driving pretty well for not being able to see a drat thing. Just oblivious, I guess.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

The only times I ever flash my high beams are to get people out of the left lane. Trying to get people to turn their lights on is apparently too hard to understand so I've given up on it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
:getin:

Not many details, but heres a local news article about someone slamming on their brakes on the highway, having 2 people run into him, and then getting arrested.

http://wivb.com/2014/11/12/two-car-crash-caused-by-reckless-driver/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

a primate posted:

The only times I ever flash my high beams are to get people out of the left lane.

In my experience "flash to pass" seems to be the universal signal for "please slam on your brakes, then proceed at 5 MPH slower than you were driving before and if its not too much of a bother speed match me when I give up and try to pass you on the right."