Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Yes, Tales of Hearts R works fine with the PSTV and it's a great game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

flyboi posted:

Yes, Tales of Hearts R works fine with the PSTV and it's a great game

If only Bamco managed to actually ship it instead of delaying :smith:. That's ok though, not like I am playing anything else till VC1 is done.

Question, is Miku working on Vita TV? I have Miku 1 on Vita and PS3, but I figure if it works, I would just get Miku 2 on the Vita and call it a day.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
I'm really glad we've just decided to abbreviate that game as Miku at this point. Makes conversations way more entertaining.

Anyways yeah I think Miku 2 is confirmed to work on the vita tv.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Agrias120 posted:

I've had my Vita TV since launch and I bounce back and forth between loving it (when I am playing a game I already downloaded/confirmed to work) to hating it (when I browse the hosed up store, or try to navigate the labyrinth that is what actually is or is not compatible).

That being said, can anyone actually confirm for me if the Vita TV uses a wired connection for Remote Play with a PS4? Both my PS4 and Vita TV are hardwired (and only separated by a single wall--they're seriously almost 3.5 feet apart from one another) and I noticed the same somewhat-crappy-but-not-bad-depending-on-the-game input lag. I decided to test out wireless and see how much worse it would be and didn't notice any difference, which could just be because of their proximity to one another. But then I noticed something--even if you have the Vita TV wired to your LAN, when you initiate the Remote Play application, it gets rid of the LAN Connection icon in the Vita TV's Status Bar and replaces it with a Wireless Connection Strength icon.

I don't think this is just a clumsy way of displaying connection strength, because I can have a full 3 bars and still see the "oh crap your connection is bad for a minute, hold tight" overlay icon that you get sometimes. Can anyone else confirm this/has anyone else noticed this behavior when trying to initiate Remote Play with a wired connection? It seems like the Vita TV doesn't even use your wired connection for Remote Play, it shuts down that connection and chooses to use wireless instead (which fits in with the, "gently caress just rush this poo poo out the door" mentality of the system, since it would just default to the only method of connection the Vita would know).
That would certainly explain why it always felt laggy to me, I didn't notice the icon changing, I'll have to check that out again.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

I'm really glad we've just decided to abbreviate that game as Miku at this point. Makes conversations way more entertaining.

Anyways yeah I think Miku 2 is confirmed to work on the vita tv.

Is that a bad thing? I mean, yeah, I could type out "Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F 2nd for PS Vita Sony Entertainment System", but why? Also, that's great. Any word if it's native res on the Vita?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

gibbed posted:

That would certainly explain why it always felt laggy to me, I didn't notice the icon changing, I'll have to check that out again.

Based on what CrashCat said (and a situation I hadn't even thought of), it might only do this forced override if you also have WIFI data stored on the Vita TV (or if it has access to an unprotected network). I'm interested to hear more people's experiences with this, because from everything I can tell this seems to be what is happening (the LAN Icon even remains present during other system-to-system functions, like when you transfer items from a PS3 via Content Manager).

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

If I don't own a PS3 or PS4 or Vita can I get a PSTV and expect a reasonably good library solely from PSN downloads?

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Callick posted:

If I don't own a PS3 or PS4 or Vita can I get a PSTV and expect a reasonably good library solely from PSN downloads?

If you are in USA region I'd say it'd give you a lot. You'll get PS1/PSP/Vita games, which is pretty good but up to you if it appeals to you.
EU region gets a bit less for example no Xenogears.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I know it's been said plenty of times, but have you checked the settings on your PS4 to make sure direct connect is turned off? If it's on the PS4 basically acts as its own wireless access point and tells the vita to switch to that network; I'm assuming it'll still tell the vita to change to that specific wireless network even if you're on a gigabit LAN connected to the same switch (and yes, I know the box only has a 10/100 port)

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

The_Frag_Man posted:

If you are in USA region I'd say it'd give you a lot. You'll get PS1/PSP/Vita games, which is pretty good but up to you if it appeals to you.
EU region gets a bit less for example no Xenogears.

You can play P3P, P4G, and follow up by some SAO. That would keep one busy for like 300+ hours.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Sentient Data posted:

I know it's been said plenty of times, but have you checked the settings on your PS4 to make sure direct connect is turned off? If it's on the PS4 basically acts as its own wireless access point and tells the vita to switch to that network; I'm assuming it'll still tell the vita to change to that specific wireless network even if you're on a gigabit LAN connected to the same switch (and yes, I know the box only has a 10/100 port)

Interestingly enough, that did seem to fix the issue--if that option is enabled on the PS4 it overrides the wired connection. Sorry if that had been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, I read through the entire thing before posting, but I must have missed it.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
If anyone's on the fence, the vita tv is $80 on amazon. edit: The bundle with the dual shock and 8gb card is $100.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Callick posted:

If you're not a huge JRPG fan you needn't bother.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

Agrias120 posted:

I've had my Vita TV since launch and I bounce back and forth between loving it (when I am playing a game I already downloaded/confirmed to work) to hating it (when I browse the hosed up store, or try to navigate the labyrinth that is what actually is or is not compatible).

That being said, can anyone actually confirm for me if the Vita TV uses a wired connection for Remote Play with a PS4? Both my PS4 and Vita TV are hardwired (and only separated by a single wall--they're seriously almost 3.5 feet apart from one another) and I noticed the same somewhat-crappy-but-not-bad-depending-on-the-game input lag. I decided to test out wireless and see how much worse it would be and didn't notice any difference, which could just be because of their proximity to one another. But then I noticed something--even if you have the Vita TV wired to your LAN, when you initiate the Remote Play application, it gets rid of the LAN Connection icon in the Vita TV's Status Bar and replaces it with a Wireless Connection Strength icon.

I don't think this is just a clumsy way of displaying connection strength, because I can have a full 3 bars and still see the "oh crap your connection is bad for a minute, hold tight" overlay icon that you get sometimes. Can anyone else confirm this/has anyone else noticed this behavior when trying to initiate Remote Play with a wired connection? It seems like the Vita TV doesn't even use your wired connection for Remote Play, it shuts down that connection and chooses to use wireless instead (which fits in with the, "gently caress just rush this poo poo out the door" mentality of the system, since it would just default to the only method of connection the Vita would know).

You can tell your PS4 not to create its own wifi, then remote streaming will only use your LAN (or lan over wireless of your PTV isn't hardwired). It took me a few days to figure that out.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/70383049

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy
Crap! Quote != edit

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
The PlayStation TV store is officially 100% open in the EU region. :toot:

It was open in the last few weeks, but the front page and scrollable listings were unavailable until now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Dbhjed posted:

You can tell your PS4 not to create its own wifi, then remote streaming will only use your LAN (or lan over wireless of your PTV isn't hardwired). It took me a few days to figure that out.
Wait what? The PS4 is acting as an access point by default? When I have a perfectly good LAN attached to it?

Why would... that doesn't even...

:negative:

Okay, gently caress it, checking this out for myself. If that's why my remote play is laggy that's loving stupid. I'd almost rather it be unfixable than that stupid.

No, never mind, my PS4 had that option turned off. So I don't even know. Since they're in rooms right next to each other maybe that option would actually work better. Ugh.

edit 2: Direct connection is more delayed and looks worse, but doesn't have the constant hitching. Instead it just randomly drops out for a few seconds at a time now and then. So I'm probably not going to be using either mode, but I would probably go with the LAN connect and take the small hitches if I had to choose. I never put in any wifi credentials but it definitely switched to a wifi symbol when I used direct connect.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 14, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Does the EU have functioning games that don't function in North America (especially those PSP titles) or vice-versa?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Well, Xenogears was mentioned in an above post as NA and non-EU, but remember that vitas aren't able to handle multiple regions like a PS4; you'll need to completely reset the system to switch between accounts from what I understand, and memory cards are locked to the region of activation (meaning you either need to have multiple cards or be willing to reformat every time you change)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sentient Data posted:

Well, Xenogears was mentioned in an above post as NA and non-EU, but remember that vitas aren't able to handle multiple regions like a PS4; you'll need to completely reset the system to switch between accounts from what I understand, and memory cards are locked to the region of activation (meaning you either need to have multiple cards or be willing to reformat every time you change)

I know that, but I think there will likely be anomalies where the EU has games which are compatible that NA doesn't because the SKU's of both products are different, and I think some of the incompatible PSP games were listed as compatible in the EU a month ago.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

CrashCat posted:

edit 2: Direct connection is more delayed and looks worse, but doesn't have the constant hitching. Instead it just randomly drops out for a few seconds at a time now and then. So I'm probably not going to be using either mode, but I would probably go with the LAN connect and take the small hitches if I had to choose. I never put in any wifi credentials but it definitely switched to a wifi symbol when I used direct connect.

The ps4 emits its own wifi with the direct connection available. I picked it up a few times on my iPad. Now that I turned it off I don't see it any more.

Is your network 100 or gigabit? Mine is gigabit.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Since the vita can only do 100 it doesn't really matter for that connection, but what would make a big difference is what's between the consoles. Is it a cheap Linksys router ruining the default software? For the best results, connect the consoles with a switch (not router or hub) - that will give them the most efficient connection; you just plug your internet facing router into a different port on the switch for both to be able to get online

jabro
Mar 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Holy poo poo. This thing is so fricking small.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

jabro posted:

Holy poo poo. This thing is so fricking small.

That's what she said. *canned laughter*

Anyways, welcome to the club.

Found that you can make PSP games look a little better if you crank up the sharpness on your TV.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

Does the EU have functioning games that don't function in North America (especially those PSP titles) or vice-versa?
Yes. Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops worked for me on my UK account before the PSTV even came out here - I don't think any of the 3 MGS PSP games are "compatible" in the US, are they?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sentient Data posted:

Since the vita can only do 100 it doesn't really matter for that connection, but what would make a big difference is what's between the consoles. Is it a cheap Linksys router ruining the default software? For the best results, connect the consoles with a switch (not router or hub) - that will give them the most efficient connection; you just plug your internet facing router into a different port on the switch for both to be able to get online
Yeah, if I really wanted to make it work I would change the topology and it would probably be fine. It's a bit impractical though since both are in rooms with multiple devices.

It looks like this, with brackets for the rooms:

[PS4 - switch - router] - [switch - PSTV]

Taking the PSTV off the switch means running another cable between rooms or taking everything else off the Internet in that room. Taking the PS4 off the switch and putting it on the router is simple and puts it 'closer' but it still would have to compete too much for network time. So really, hooking the PSTV room into the PS4's switch instead of the router and removing the extra PSTV room switch when I want to play Remote Play is the best solution I can come up with, and it kinda sucks.

But yeah, I did consider it. :effort:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

True, I'll admit that I was spoiled by working on Cisco labs and running multiple lines to each room to handle a variety of situations. You sound like you already know what you're doing, but it's worth mentioning for anyone else that it'd be worth seeing if there's a DD-WRT or Tomato release for your your router. Once you have a router with more powerful software, you can play with QoS setups and the like - find out the port ranges that remote play uses and give it the highest priority, that way you won't suffer sudden lag if a PC downloads updates or someone starts streaming video.

To change the subject, everyone with a VTV or Vita should check their download list to see if any old games suddenly became available. I was setting up mine, and noticed that Um Jammer Lammy finally had a download button and works perfectly!

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
For PS1 games available on PSN, is it possible to connect multiple controllers to the PSTV and play them with multiple people?

And on a related note, are there any good multiplayer or coop games on PSN? I think everything I've bought so far is a single-player game.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Yep, up to 4 controllers are supported for appropriate PS1 games, PS Now games, and it's possible for Vita games to be patched (Spelunky now has 4 player local multiplayer)

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Sentient Data posted:

True, I'll admit that I was spoiled by working on Cisco labs and running multiple lines to each room to handle a variety of situations. You sound like you already know what you're doing, but it's worth mentioning for anyone else that it'd be worth seeing if there's a DD-WRT or Tomato release for your your router. Once you have a router with more powerful software, you can play with QoS setups and the like - find out the port ranges that remote play uses and give it the highest priority, that way you won't suffer sudden lag if a PC downloads updates or someone starts streaming video.

To change the subject, everyone with a VTV or Vita should check their download list to see if any old games suddenly became available. I was setting up mine, and noticed that Um Jammer Lammy finally had a download button and works perfectly!

How is the video lag for you? I found Um Jammer Lammy to be almost unplayable on PS3, but I was never sure if it was my TV's fault (which otherwise has no noticeable input lag) or the PS3 scaling.

EDIT: In case anyone is wondering, it seems that Senran Kagura: Bon Appetit! is not compatible with the PSTV (though I see no reason why). Also I think it's a pretty bad game and doesn't remotely scratch my, "I need a follow-up to Theatrhythm," itch, but that also might just be a personal thing.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Agrias120 posted:

How is the video lag for you? I found Um Jammer Lammy to be almost unplayable on PS3, but I was never sure if it was my TV's fault (which otherwise has no noticeable input lag) or the PS3 scaling.

It's your TVs fault. It plays perfectly on a regular Vita, and on my monitor (that I bought just for the low input lag)

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Was just talking with a single mom tonight with a Minecraft obsessed kid and it clicked that this thing makes for an absurdly cheap Minecraft box for kids. They should sell like hotcakes come Christmas time if they somehow get the word out about a $120 Minecraft machine that happens to do other stuff.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Doors a VTV count on your account as a Vita for the purposes of free Plus games each month? Should I look at purchasing a used PS3 for the purposes of additional free games each month?

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

SlayVus posted:

Doors a VTV count on your account as a Vita for the purposes of free Plus games each month? Should I look at purchasing a used PS3 for the purposes of additional free games each month?

It counts as an activated Vita, but you don't have to own a Vita (or PS3) to claim the PS+ games on those systems. You can get them all through the webstore.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone recording gameplay from this thing or hooking it up to their monitor and not a tv?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

rizuhbull posted:

Anyone recording gameplay from this thing or hooking it up to their monitor and not a tv?

It's HDCP protected, so you can't just toss in through an elgato or a hdpvr2 unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKuU_y18MWg

see at 1:30 of this insanely annoying video.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Good news Europe: Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus will work on PSTV in Europe this Wednesday (page background slightly :nws:)

PSTV thread - talking more about compatibility of games than playing them. :sweatdrop:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

It's HDCP protected, so you can't just toss in through an elgato or a hdpvr2 unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKuU_y18MWg

see at 1:30 of this insanely annoying video.

There are cheap HDMI splitters you can get that double as HDCP strippers. I streamed P4G way back this way.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

So with the price cut at gamestop/amazon I'm thinking of grabbing one, for pretty much the sole purpose of homebrew/cfw stuff for it- anyone know what firmware the NA version ships with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think, but I'm not 100% sure, that they ship with 3.18, which means very very few physical card games would work (and downloads wouldn't be an option since you'd need to update to get to the store). Make drat sure the CFW works with a PSTV, though.

• Locked thread