Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Finally got permission to do the 2007 SP2 to SP3 upgrade with all of the roll-ups...

After almost a year of making noise about trying to get everything up to date and 3 weeks before I leave. I'm in for a fun evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

WhoNeedsAName posted:

Finally got permission to do the 2007 SP2 to SP3 upgrade with all of the roll-ups...

After almost a year of making noise about trying to get everything up to date and 3 weeks before I leave. I'm in for a fun evening.

That is like, an hour of installation time at most?

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Gyshall posted:

That is like, an hour of installation time at most?

I hope so, although nothing has really been done to this server (update wise) since about 2010 so I'm planning for the worst. If it takes an hour I'll be over the moon.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Install SP3 and then install the latest rollup. You don't need all of them.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Gyshall posted:

Install SP3 and then install the latest rollup. You don't need all of them.

I'm having to remove the SMTP server role at the moment (not from Exchange but from Server 2008) because some genius thought that it would be a good idea to install it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Sounds like a 2003 Exchange guy tried installing 2007

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Gyshall posted:

Sounds like a 2003 Exchange guy tried installing 2007

Probably. This is turning into a bit of a nightmare

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

WhoNeedsAName posted:

This is turning into a bit of a nightmare

Exchange.txt

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

To be honest, it's mostly the fault of the loving idiot who installed it initially. At least I got it finished without murdering someone.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, with my somewhat limited experience with Exchange, as long as things were done by the book, it's easy.

I've never seen things done by the book.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah, with my somewhat limited experience with Exchange, as long as things were done by the book, it's easy.

I've never seen things done by the book.

See also: SharePoint

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
SharePoint has no book.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I just inherited a SharePoint 2003 server at work. Ugh. At least they're on Exchange 2010.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Gyshall posted:

SharePoint has no book.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

So... I came in this morning to the DBA and one of the developers going batshit. It turns out that the extra SMTP service was being used by the DBA to send emails from SQL because he couldn't figure out how to do it using Exchange within our domain.

:commissar:

Edit: gently caress SharePoint!

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

We are in the process of setting up Exchange 2013 here at the office. Things are going generally swimmingly from the client side but we've got a weird issue with ECP we can't figure out. The issue is that we get a client side error from msajax -- the message is "Unable to set property 'control' of undefined or null reference" -- the error we get is identical to https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/62b50eab-3f1b-4b70-91e8-d4d8baf513f9/iis-ecp-error?forum=exchangesvrclients and it effects all browsers.

Anyhow, has anyone seen this and does anyone have an idea about a fix?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

wwb posted:

We are in the process of setting up Exchange 2013 here at the office. Things are going generally swimmingly from the client side but we've got a weird issue with ECP we can't figure out. The issue is that we get a client side error from msajax -- the message is "Unable to set property 'control' of undefined or null reference" -- the error we get is identical to https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/62b50eab-3f1b-4b70-91e8-d4d8baf513f9/iis-ecp-error?forum=exchangesvrclients and it effects all browsers.

Anyhow, has anyone seen this and does anyone have an idea about a fix?

Anything in the event logs? How is your DNS set up with regards to Exchange? Split DNS?

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Trying to get the lazy admin to actually look at the event logs so I'm not sure about that.

Yes it is split DNS but this is happening both inside and outside. I'm fairly certain that is OK as the DNS side would keep anything from happening, the page renders in this case it just spits out an annoying javascript error.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Gozinbulx posted:

Whats the current go-to Spam filtering software for exchange?

gonna throw in don't use mxlogic

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I updated from 2013 CU4 (SP1) to CU6 over the weekend.

Exchange search is now completely hosed.

Test-ExchangeSearch returns Catalog State Unknown for all databases. Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus does the same thing.

Restarting the services and does not help. Did the reseeding by stopping the services renaming the folders with .old and restarting the services per the technet article. It does recreate the folders and add the files, but does not fix the issue.

I did add the ContentSubmitters group and gave Administrators and Network Service full access, even thought that shouldn't be needed with CU6.

Running Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus | FL Name,*Index* gives me "Could not find registry value of Index Status for database." On all of them. I am thinking this is the problem but I don't know how to resolve it.

I ran the Search Foundation/Ceres trouble shooting script (under V15\Scripts\Troubleshoot-CI.ps1) which gives me an error with "Couldn't read registry key:SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\v15\ContentIndex\CatalogHealth\"

Fun thing is if I open reg edit I don't even have those keys. It stops at v15 and then I don't have ContentIndex.

I tried reinstalling Search Foundation/Ceres with \V15\Bin\Search\Ceres\Installer\installconfig.ps1 per a tutorial I found about someone's similar problem. I was hoping it would fix whatever registry keys but no luck. Nothing changed.

My event logs are full of these both after and before I did any of the above:

quote:

Exchange Server Information Store has encountered an error while executing a full-text index query ("andnot(string("test*", mode="and"),
or(folderid:string("8021C675ECACA849B052960C059A3ED800000003FC4B0000"), folderid:string("8021C675ECACA849B052960C059A3ED800000003FC4D0000"),

folderid:string("8021C675ECACA849B052960C059A3ED800000003FC4C0000"), folderid:string("8021C675ECACA849B052960C059A3ED800000003FC4A0000")))").

Error information: System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[System.ServiceModel.ExceptionDetail]: Internal error while processing request (Fault Detail is equal to An
ExceptionDetail, likely created by IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults=true, whose value is:

Microsoft.Ceres.InteractionEngine.Component.ProcessingEngineException: Internal error while processing request
at Microsoft.Ceres.InteractionEngine.Component.CieProcessingEngine.LogAndRethrowException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.Ceres.InteractionEngine.Component.CieProcessingEngine.ExecuteSearchFlow(String flowName, IEnumerable`1 inputData)
at SyncInvokeExecuteSearchFlow(Object , Object[] , Object[] )
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.SyncMethodInvoker.Invoke(Object instance, Object[] inputs, Object[]& outputs)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchOperationRuntime.InvokeBegin(MessageRpc& rpc)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage5(MessageRpc& rpc)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage31(MessageRpc& rpc)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.MessageRpc.Process(Boolean isOperationContextSet)).

quote:

The FastFeeder component received a connection exception from FAST. Error details: System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[System.ServiceModel.ExceptionDetail]:

Internal error while processing request (Fault Detail is equal to An ExceptionDetail, likely created by IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults=true, whose value is:

Microsoft.Ceres.InteractionEngine.Component.ProcessingEngineException: Internal error while processing request
at Microsoft.Ceres.InteractionEngine.Component.CieProcessingEngine.LogAndRethrowException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.Ceres.InteractionEngine.Component.CieProcessingEngine.ExecuteSearchFlow(String flowName, IEnumerable`1 inputData)
at SyncInvokeExecuteSearchFlow(Object , Object[] , Object[] )
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.SyncMethodInvoker.Invoke(Object instance, Object[] inputs, Object[]& outputs)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchOperationRuntime.InvokeBegin(MessageRpc& rpc)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage5(MessageRpc& rpc)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage31(MessageRpc& rpc)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.MessageRpc.Process(Boolean isOperationContextSet)).

I think the those registry keys are hosed but I don't know what to do to repair them, short of some kind of re-installation or repair with the installer.

e: broke tables.

itskage fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 21, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm out of the Exchange loop as we outsourced to BPOS/O365 like 6 years ago, but as a Microsoft guy, this is generally where I would open a support ticket with MS and get their engineers involved. We get X amount of incidents a year because we have a fancy EA, TAM, and Premier support, but even at 250 or 400 or whatever they cost, it's worth it if the business impact is great.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

gonna throw in don't use mxlogic

This is what we are using. I don't work with it too much but it seems to be not horrible. Although it is owned by McAfee now...

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I am a customer of an exchange 2010 hosting company (IT solutions now). I have one application that connects to the exchange server using a Linux script to format and send a basic email. During the daytime, their server has a 30+ second delay on the final acknowledgement of the email.

In other words it looks like this:

1. Connect to mail server (0.3 seconds)
2. Send header information (0.1 seconds)
3. Send body information (0.3 seconds)
4. Send "." (end of message) (45 seconds)

I have performed the following troubleshooting steps on my end:

1. Tested on multiple networks, problem exists on all
2. Tested with multiple different servers (gmail, exchange 2013). Problem only exists on Ex2010
3. Reduced size of mailbox from 15gb to 4gb, problem persists

I am having a hard time getting them to admit there is even an issue, let alone fix it. I know a lot about networking/Linux administration but pretty much nothing about Exchange. Do any of you have any theories as to what might be causing the delay?

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

Droo posted:

I am having a hard time getting them to admit there is even an issue, let alone fix it. I know a lot about networking/Linux administration but pretty much nothing about Exchange. Do any of you have any theories as to what might be causing the delay?

This is a feature of Exchange 2010 high availability. When a message is accepted from an outside source the final acknowledgement is delayed until the message has been verified as delivered within the Exchange environment (or handed off to somewhere outside the enivironment).

From technet

Technet posted:

However, when an Exchange 2010 transport server receives a message from a non-Exchange 2010 source, Exchange attempts to achieve shadow redundancy by delaying the acknowledgement to the sending server until it verifies that the message has been successfully delivered to all next hops internally. This way, if the Exchange 2010 server fails, the sending server assumes that the message was never delivered to Exchange and attempts delivery again.

Note that they can configure a maximum delay setting using powershell (or disable it). This is also described in the article I linked above.

Edit: the configuration for this is on receive connectors, so they could hypothetically make the change for just your machine considering that it has it's own receive connector. Hope that helps.

Will Styles fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 22, 2014

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

skipdogg posted:

I'm out of the Exchange loop as we outsourced to BPOS/O365 like 6 years ago, but as a Microsoft guy, this is generally where I would open a support ticket with MS and get their engineers involved. We get X amount of incidents a year because we have a fancy EA, TAM, and Premier support, but even at 250 or 400 or whatever they cost, it's worth it if the business impact is great.

It's not super critical. Most users run outlook in cached mode, so it's just old emails, archives, devices, and OWA that will have issues. But for 90% of the users they are just using outlook and don't notice. I made each department head aware of the problem, so hopefully there aren't any issues that arise from this in the mean time.

I will have a tech here tomorrow if I can't get this fixed.

Anyway, some more digging last night and today:
Found this article about the registry keys I am missing: http://blogs.technet.com/b/johnbai/archive/2013/07/16/exchange-2013-high-availability-fast-search-and-the-windows-registry.aspx
And this post from a guy with my same issue for the same reason!. https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/7dea2ac7-6f9a-4b2d-800c-1c13a98d84df/cu6-issues?forum=exchangesvrdeploy

He manually updated his keys and got it working.

I would like to do the same thing. However, I don't have a copy of the server (without pulling backups) to take the registry key structure from like he did.

If someone could just look in their registry for 2013 and tell me what the structure (names) and values (String, Multistring, etc) everything should be, then I think this will allow me to enter the GUIDs and status info and get it working again.

Path is: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\v15\Search\IndexStatus I just need the names of the values and the types.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Will Styles posted:

This is a feature of Exchange 2010 high availability. Hope that helps.

Thanks so much. That looks like the issue I am having along with what is hopefully a perfectly reasonable solution.

Now to run it by the help desk gauntlet of denial and see what THEY say about it...

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I mitraged from Exchange 2007 to Office 365 3 weeks ago, everything has been running great. I would like to uninstall Exchange 2007 and nuke my 300GB data store, because I am in the process of virtualizing all of our servers and virtualizing an extra 300gb sounds stupid. Uninstalling Exchange shouldn't have any effect on my SQL Server installation on the same server should it?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Put that DB on the cheapest hard drive you can find, hold it for a year, and then purge.

Everyone always misses something even with the most perfect, "down to the checkbox" migration. Also, precious snowflakes.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

For 2010 & 2013, is there any compelling reason to look beyond the native archiving stuff?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Enterprise CAL licensing, for one. There are some serious gotchas for 2010 in terms of true 100% legal compliance that are fixed in 2013.

e: Oh and the outlook version that is needed. gently caress that.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 28, 2014

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Maneki Neko posted:

For 2010 & 2013, is there any compelling reason to look beyond the native archiving stuff?

If you have a gently caress load of email I would look at an archive appliance of some sorts. Otherwise it works pretty good if you have the money for the licenses and what not.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

incoherent posted:

Enterprise CAL licensing, for one. There are some serious gotchas for 2010 in terms of true 100% legal compliance that are fixed in 2013.

Microsoft licensing.txt

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Trying to remove this public folder database almost turned me into an alcoholic or a serial killer or maybe alcoholic serial killer.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Calidus posted:

Trying to remove this public folder database almost turned me into an alcoholic or a serial killer or maybe alcoholic serial killer.

samesies

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Calidus posted:

Public Folder databases are the most retarded poo poo ever. I just remove them and then nuke them in ADSIEDit. Best Practices (TM)

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Gyshall posted:

Public Folder databases are the most retarded poo poo ever. I just remove them and then nuke them in ADSIEDit. Best Practices (TM)

samesies again

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I have a problem with staff going to remote sites, logging onto a PC and pulling down their entire mailbox over the WAN, maxing it out for hours.

What are my options in Exchange\Outlook 2010 for limiting the rate at which a client can pull down mail? I dont necessarily mind that they pull 4+gigs of mailbox over the wire, I'd just rather drip-feed it to them at say 200Kb/s.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
cache mode, son

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Swink posted:

I have a problem with staff going to remote sites, logging onto a PC and pulling down their entire mailbox over the WAN, maxing it out for hours.

What are my options in Exchange\Outlook 2010 for limiting the rate at which a client can pull down mail? I dont necessarily mind that they pull 4+gigs of mailbox over the wire, I'd just rather drip-feed it to them at say 200Kb/s.
Why not educate them on the benefits of OWA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

nexxai posted:

benefits of OWA?

There are none