Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

so the talk literally went like this

the problem with bartering is that there's too much random poo poo that people might not want

so gold, then money are great to store the value

now let's break those back up in to millions of other little things again creating the exact same problem as before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

RubberJohnny posted:

so can Butterfly Labs not just go "these are for mining crypto not BTC specifically, people could have made money on any of these things at any date with any cryptocurrency"

almost no altcoins use the same algorithm as bitcoin because to do so nowadays is to get your coin stomped into the ground by one of the bitcoin devs (basically he'll point his pool at your coin and gently caress with it until it's useless); many altcoins use scrypt (which litecoin popularized) and you can't mine a scrypt coin with a bfl miner.

i think namecoin uses the same algorithm as bitcoin, and most of the mining that happens with namecoin is called "merged mining" which means it happens in parallel with bicoin, so you get paid in both as you mine.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
that reminds me of a classic bitcoin joke

what starts with n and rhymes with bitcoin? namecoin

:geno:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Hammerite posted:

Way to be technically correct (the best kind of correct)

how Karpeles requisitioned his groove back

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

why does the Bitcoin dev do that? seems counter to open source. like make stuff open source then actively kill it's forks with guerrilla warfare until people are afraid to use it.

also I thought it had to do with keeping things fair and massively inefficient.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

PleasureKevin posted:

why does the Bitcoin dev do that? seems counter to open source. like make stuff open source then actively kill it's forks with guerrilla warfare until people are afraid to use it.

because bitcoin is, has been, and always will be a money making scheme at its core

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

PleasureKevin posted:

his words:

luke-jr posted:

Eligius is a Bitcoin mining pool and I am, as always, committed to doing my best to contribute to and protect the Bitcoin ecosystem. Pyramid schemes built upon forks of the Bitcoin software ultimately discredit and harm Bitcoin's reputation. I hope CoiledCoin will be the last of such scams now that it is clear there are people (not just myself) willing to stand up to them. Namecoin alone demonstrates a legitimate, innovative use of Bitcoin technology, and while I don't personally agree with their ideals/goals, I see it as a good thing for Bitcoin and worth cooperating with.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

FCKGW posted:

their defense is that they never promised that these things would make money. independent blogs, news sites and magazine formed that conclusion wholly on their own.

except all this stuff posted on their website

and all over the bitcointalk forums

also jeff ownby from BFL bought the bitcoinx.com profitability calculator late october 2012 and added links to BFL and fudged the profitability numbers on his units

http://web.archive.org/web/20121217004154/http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit

Company: JEFFREY SCOTT OWNBY
Address: 130 N. PARK RD. GRANGE LA US
Phone: +17.086014170
Fax: +49 0000 00000
Most popular domain of this owner:
bitcoinx.com - Bitcoin and crypto currencies news, prices, charts, guides & analysis

yessssss

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Boxturret posted:

why are you quoting that inaba guy? he has nothing to do with bfl:confused:

inaba is zerlan

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Werthog 95 posted:

inaba is zerlan

:thejoke:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Werthog 95 posted:

inaba is zerlan

:(

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

it's not like he hides it or anything so idk how that's a joke.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Linguica posted:

"Your bitcoins are trapped."

"I know, I... lost the private key."

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

DNova posted:

to be utterly pedantic (yospos bitch), if you start with a quantity of radioactive material, after a period of time, you will have less of that material.

in uranium's case, one of its decay products is a gas (radon) which will literally fly out of the window
the two most abundant uranium isotopes have half-lives measured in hundreds of millions of years so they're practically stable
it's mostly the transuranic heavy elements that may not be used where there is life

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

this is the tonal number guy fyi

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PleasureKevin posted:

He doesn't want a competing pyramid scheme to steal potential members

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

Herman Merman posted:

it's mostly the transuranic heavy elements that may not be used where there is life

what an obscure reference

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

buzzfeed, as punctual as ever, is doing an article on the BFL/buttcoin purchase and wants my input

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

FCKGW posted:

buzzfeed, as punctual as ever, is doing an article on the BFL/buttcoin purchase and wants my input

make sure you say "buttcoin", "bill cosby", or "yospos bitch"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

FCKGW posted:

lol

try to make subtle jokes about how loving late to the party they're

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

how do I make an animated gif of a website purchase?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

FCKGW posted:

the frames of the gif are the emails?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
gif of bfl guy taking money from preorders, giving it to you, editing articles while smiling, taking more money, mining with their hardware, buying tesla

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
these 5 cats express exactly how the bfl purchase of buttcoin made us feel

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
top 14 things you thought you knew about bitcoin but didn't!

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
wait shouldn't the gif be goatse

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

FCKGW posted:

a variation on this

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

whos the other guy in that

looks like a top gear audienceperson?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
actually here's the one you want

cash money bitches

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

actually here's the one you want

cash money bitches

vince mcmahon is so weird to me. my brain still says "wait, the guy who was doing play-by-play commentary actually owned it all?"

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Boxturret posted:

that reminds me of a classic bitcoin joke

what starts with n and rhymes with bitcoin? namecoin

:geno:

I remember these jokes and what I don't get is if I were autistic enough would they be funny to me or is this one guy just broken in a unique way where he doesn't understand humor and thinks any question/answer is a joke.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Krinkle posted:

I remember these jokes and what I don't get is if I were autistic enough would they be funny to me or is this one guy just broken in a unique way where he doesn't understand humor and thinks any question/answer is a joke.

"rhymes with" can be an idiom for "is similar to"

if you think of it that way the joke makes sense but is still a bad joke

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

FCKGW posted:

footage of two guys in trenchcoats meeting in an alley and handing off a 5-inch floppy

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

duTrieux. posted:

footage of two guys in trenchcoats meeting in an alley and handing off a 5-inch floppy

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

yessssssssssssssssss

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

duTrieux. posted:

THAT'S THREE AND HALF INCHES COME ON MAN

t:mad:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
i have literally never understood the purpose of the skateboard in that scene

or of almost any scene in the movie but especially that bit

also complete side note a friend of mine went to vegas saw penn and teller and told penn jillette "you were great in Hackers", which appeared to visibly irritate him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Same Great Paste posted:

THAT'S THREE AND HALF INCHES COME ON MAN

t:mad:

three and a quarter, idiot

• Locked thread