Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Swink posted:

I have a problem with staff going to remote sites, logging onto a PC and pulling down their entire mailbox over the WAN, maxing it out for hours.

What are my options in Exchange\Outlook 2010 for limiting the rate at which a client can pull down mail? I dont necessarily mind that they pull 4+gigs of mailbox over the wire, I'd just rather drip-feed it to them at say 200Kb/s.

None really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Eh, Cached mode in Outlook is meant specifically for this issue.

Exchange 2010 w/ Outlook Anywhere should work seamlessly inside and outside of your organization, as long as you have DNS and firewalls set up correctly. Hell, you don't even need a VPN for secure access to Outlook Anywhere anymore.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Train them on OWA.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Why would you not use Outlook Anywhere? As said above, it's exactly what this was designed for.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Only 4000 mailboxes left out of 20,000 to migrate on a 2007 -> 2013 install. Everything has been surprisingly smooth. Is that normal?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Nitr0 posted:

Only 4000 mailboxes left out of 20,000 to migrate on a 2007 -> 2013 install. Everything has been surprisingly smooth. Is that normal?

You just jinxed yourself.

The new OWA is actually quite nice. I don't even have Outlook installed on my laptop, just use webmail while I'm on it.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Gyshall posted:

Eh, Cached mode in Outlook is meant specifically for this issue.

Exchange 2010 w/ Outlook Anywhere should work seamlessly inside and outside of your organization, as long as you have DNS and firewalls set up correctly. Hell, you don't even need a VPN for secure access to Outlook Anywhere anymore.

I don't think you read the original post correctly.

I read it as the users are logging onto a PC they haven't touched before. With Exchange/Outlook 2010 you cannot modify the amount of cached mail to be stored - it's either on, or off. So, with cached mode on you're still going to have to download it the first time. Those users might then log onto another PC, travel to a different site etc, and start the process again. Cached Exchange mode would not solve the original problem.

One solution I can see is to configure QoS on each router, but obviously that's going to be a massive pain rather than just modifying settings on the Exch server.

Easiest option is OWA. If they're only on site for the day or w/e, then they it's fine. It can send emails, receive emails, and you can access your calendar. Everything the standard user needs.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
^ You are exactly correct. The issue is they log onto a new PC and Outlook starts building the local cache, which could be several gigs.

There is a stack of throttling options in Exchange, but I would need to rate-limit the Outlook clients themselves.

This might be something I just have to wear until we roll out Office 2013+ which has better Cached Mode controls.

I should have been clearer in my original post that I was already using cached mode. Thankyou for your responses though!

Swink fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 14, 2014

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
Outlook GPO for headers only

http://blogs.technet.com/b/outlooking/archive/2012/05/31/download-headers-only-vs-download-headers-in-outlook.aspx

indigoe
Jul 29, 2003

gonna steal the show, you know it ain't no crime
I'm migrating from a cPanel based email server (exim/courier) to O365 and I've been scratching my head about something that should be really simple. I have a bunch of email addresses (like support, payments, legal etc) that forward to different salesforce endpoints. Some of them also forward to particular managers that don't use salesforce.

It seems to me the only way to achieve this, is to create a mail contact for each salesforce endpoint, then set up distribution groups for each address I need. And if a manager needs to be included, I can add them to the distribution group. My main issue with this besides it being a little convoluted is that the mail contacts I created for this will show up in the company address book that everyone can access. I know I can hide mail boxes and shared mail boxes from the address book, but it does not seem to be the case for mail contacts.

There is this page in the documentation but it doesn't seem to apply to my use case.

Am I going about this the wrong way, is there a better way?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

indigoe posted:

I'm migrating from a cPanel based email server (exim/courier) to O365 and I've been scratching my head about something that should be really simple. I have a bunch of email addresses (like support, payments, legal etc) that forward to different salesforce endpoints. Some of them also forward to particular managers that don't use salesforce.

It seems to me the only way to achieve this, is to create a mail contact for each salesforce endpoint, then set up distribution groups for each address I need. And if a manager needs to be included, I can add them to the distribution group. My main issue with this besides it being a little convoluted is that the mail contacts I created for this will show up in the company address book that everyone can access. I know I can hide mail boxes and shared mail boxes from the address book, but it does not seem to be the case for mail contacts.

There is this page in the documentation but it doesn't seem to apply to my use case.

Am I going about this the wrong way, is there a better way?

You can hide contacts in the GAL via powershell, but I don't believe through the admin interface:

http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/53135-how-to-hide-external-contacts-from-office-365-global-address-list

indigoe
Jul 29, 2003

gonna steal the show, you know it ain't no crime

Maneki Neko posted:

You can hide contacts in the GAL via powershell, but I don't believe through the admin interface:

http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/53135-how-to-hide-external-contacts-from-office-365-global-address-list

Thanks, I will give this a go. The rest seems reasonable?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I need a plugin for Exchange that restricts people to only sending an email to one person, except on two occasions each day where they are allowed to add two CC recipients.

Either that or some sort of credits based system so people who insist on CCing 15 people on each email can do it once before they run out.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

What's the old saying? Technical solution for a behavioral problem? I suggest getting a Nerf baseball bat, and beating employees into compliance.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Thanks Ants posted:

I need a plugin for Exchange that restricts people to only sending an email to one person, except on two occasions each day where they are allowed to add two CC recipients.

Either that or some sort of credits based system so people who insist on CCing 15 people on each email can do it once before they run out.

lol

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Thanks Ants posted:

What the gently caress?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

AlternateAccount posted:

What the gently caress?

I want to turn emailing multiple recipients into a freemium game, so either people stop doing it, or IT gets a nice slush fund out of it. My tolerance for receiving bullshit messages that I don't need to know about peaked today.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
You must be a ton of fun at parties, Thanks Ants.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:tipshat:

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
There's a nifty product that can solve this, "Verbal Communication" - it's fairly well known but some people refuse to use it for some reason?

If you're getting the error "beep boop what is human contact" you can just set up an outlook rule as well

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Is it possible to add delegated calendars on an IOS device? My executive assistants want to be able to work on their execs' calendars from their phones.

I've been searching and most answers say it's not possible. Some point to internet calendar publishing, but wouldn't that be read only?

One of the EAs says she's done it "at all her previous companies," so here I am.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Everything i've seen (and deployed) was a read-only via ical and editing/managing was done in OWA/outlook. Maybe the the EA was confused about the backend (did they say the previous company was running "google exchange 2007"?).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

KS posted:

Is it possible to add delegated calendars on an IOS device? My executive assistants want to be able to work on their execs' calendars from their phones.

I've been searching and most answers say it's not possible. Some point to internet calendar publishing, but wouldn't that be read only?

One of the EAs says she's done it "at all her previous companies," so here I am.

The only shared calendar on ActiveSync I've seen has been whatever Google Apps does. If you hate yourself and want to support a mess then you can see if it's possible to use DavMail to expose Exchange calendars over CalDAV and add them that way.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

I set up a rule if my name is in the CC: field I send it to another folder other than my Inbox.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Thank you both for confirming I'm not crazy.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

2013 / O365 can un-ironically do about half of this.

-

Does anyone have any recommendations for PST upload tools to 365? We're migrating out of or current archival system (Nearpoint, lets share Nearpoint stories if you have them) and getting a batch of PST's. I've used the MessageOPs tool in the past and though I like it I wish it's reporting was better (identifying and giving me a list of excluded LargeItems), and MS's own PST capture tool is a buggy mess.

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 21, 2014

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

skipdogg posted:

You just jinxed yourself.

The new OWA is actually quite nice. I don't even have Outlook installed on my laptop, just use webmail while I'm on it.

I'm using OWA with office 365 and I kind of hate that the message list can't be in columns like in outlook client (or OWA "light mode")

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Swink posted:

I have a problem with staff going to remote sites, logging onto a PC and pulling down their entire mailbox over the WAN, maxing it out for hours.

What are my options in Exchange\Outlook 2010 for limiting the rate at which a client can pull down mail? I dont necessarily mind that they pull 4+gigs of mailbox over the wire, I'd just rather drip-feed it to them at say 200Kb/s.

How about deploy outlook via RemoteApp so the outlook client just runs in online mode someplace local to the exchange server

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

How about deploy outlook via RemoteApp so the outlook client just runs in online mode someplace local to the exchange server

crazy talk

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Nice!

I don't have the CALs though. Plus our DB application needs to be able to interact with a local copy of Outlook.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Swink posted:

Nice!

I don't have the CALs though. Plus our DB application needs to be able to interact with a local copy of Outlook.

I am sensing a massive rabbit hole here.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Swink posted:

DB application needs to be able to interact with a local copy of Outlook.

:stonk:

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

:stonk::respek: :stonk:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

You think you've seen it all.....then someone blows your expectation away.

I've got good money on it being outlook 2003.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
It's not as bad as you think.

I'm just going to have to wear the cache issue for now.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

I've got an odd issue. Last week I installed a completely fresh install of Exchange 2013 on a fresh copy of Server 2012. This server is on a VM in a totally isolated and new 2012 domain.

All seemed to install properly but when I open shell on the Exchange server I get this when it tries to connect:

New-PSSession : [server.domain.local] Connecting to remote server server.domain.local failed with the following error
message : The WinRM client received an HTTP status code of 403 from the remote WS-Management service. For more
information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.
At line:1 char:1
+ New-PSSession -ConnectionURI "$connectionUri" -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Excha ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : OpenError: (System.Manageme....RemoteRunspace:RemoteRunspace) [New-PSSession], PSRemotin
gTransportException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : -2144108273,PSSessionOpenFailed

This is a totally bone stock install. I've done plenty of 2010 installs and have never seen this before. Since I can't get into powershell I am pretty much dead in the water as far as I can tell.

Any ideas?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

WS-Management may mean that remote services is not enabled. Make sure the services are online.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
https://www.google.ca/search?q=The+..._sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Seriously man, like a most basic search of your error message will give you some info that you can try and report back that "I tried these methods and nothing worked". Your question is so boring generic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Cool, an Exchange thread.

I have a problem when I'm trying to create new email accounts for some new users I made in Active Directory using the AD Powershell thingy.

code:
Import-Csv .\NewPeeps.csv -Delimiter : -Encoding UTF7 | New-ADUser -Enabled $True -AccountPassword (ConvertTo-SecureString PoopBalls -AsPlainText -force)
I use the above command to pipe in NewPeeps.csv which contains columns for
DisplayName:Name:Description:Surname:GivenName:UserPrincipalName:SamAccountName:Office:Company

I use : as a separator because their DisplayName has commas in them. -Encoding UTF7 because of weird Swedish letters (едц). Everything here works out fine but when I try to create a mailbox in exchange management console I the whole thing crashes and I get first this box:

When I press OK on the first one, this pops up:

This is the text in the second box:

code:
FX:{A5406CA3-6393-48a0-8827-CF06F0C94C55}

Type is not resolved for member 'Microsoft.Exchange.Data.DataValidationException,Microsoft.Exchange.Data, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'.

Exception Type
System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException

Exception stack trace:
at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.ISnapInMessagePumpProxy.Run()
   at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.SnapInThread.OnThreadStart()
I imagine there's something wrong with the way I created the AD accounts since it works just fine to copy any of the accounts in ADUC and creating a mailbox for the copy. Any ideas?

Edit: Windows server 2008 R2, Powershell V3 and Exchange 2010