Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Classic Mini owners, feel free to congregate in my lovely project thread :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

My dad and I taking party in the local club rally.

Jefinabox
Jun 26, 2007
It looks like your dad's asleep, you need to speed up!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Home of the free, driveway of the brave. (thanks SiF)

Oil slick makers unite!

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 257 days!)

BrokenKnucklez posted:

..but those are British (originally). :confuoot:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Viggen posted:

..but those are British (originally). :confuoot:

Like the American V8 under the hood of the classic (Old buick 215) and then all the Ford Engineering in the LR3. If the JJJJJAAAGGGG was there its americanized under the hood with that SBC.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 257 days!)

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Like the American V8 under the hood of the classic (Old buick 215) and then all the Ford Engineering in the LR3. If the JJJJJAAAGGGG was there its americanized under the hood with that SBC.

Wait- are we fighting, or in agreement?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I finally got the 56 legal last week so I get about a week or two before the weather gets too bad to drive it anymore.

Ive since taken the pellet stove out of the back. I really wanted to put the dump body up in front of that sign.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Good lord. That loving truck. :swoon:

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
Just quadrupled displacement going from a 1.4T '13 Dart to a Hemi/TR6060 Challenger. It's the second-smallest engine available.

It's difficult to convey the sheer size of these cars, but with the Bilsteins, this trim rides and handles far better than it should. Comfortable as hell and that torque curve :swoon:

I do need to get photos that aren't taken with a phone while waiting for Charter.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
I want a scat pack challenger with those wheels. Did hell freeze over? What is wrong with me? :gonk:

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Fuelslt1 posted:

I plastidipped my WRX today.

Before

During

After (Still need to do some touch up work)

Yu didn't use rattle cans, did you?
I am now a fan of Plastidip. My Accord needs new paint but it will be way cheaper to do it myself.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

OneOverZero posted:

Just quadrupled displacement going from a 1.4T '13 Dart to a Hemi/TR6060 Challenger. It's the second-smallest engine available.

It's difficult to convey the sheer size of these cars, but with the Bilsteins, this trim rides and handles far better than it should. Comfortable as hell and that torque curve :swoon:

I do need to get photos that aren't taken with a phone while waiting for Charter.

I had a rented one and was trying to park it in a parking garage in Boston which had the sharpest loving corners to go up and down between decks and I had to INCH that thing around the corners. You can land a 747 on that hood.

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.

b0nes posted:

Yu didn't use rattle cans, did you?
I am now a fan of Plastidip. My Accord needs new paint but it will be way cheaper to do it myself.

No this was done with a kit from dipyourcar.com

https://www.dipyourcar.com/Create-Your-Car-Kit.html

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Count Freebasie posted:

I had a rented one and was trying to park it in a parking garage in Boston which had the sharpest loving corners to go up and down between decks and I had to INCH that thing around the corners. You can land a 747 on that hood.

When I owned my Fit, I once rented a Charger when on vacation. I got it stuck in the rentalship garage on the way out.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Friar Zucchini posted:

Good lord. That loving truck. :swoon:

Thanks! Got a driving video done today. Its slow, very very slow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9xG_HBVkZM

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fart Pipe posted:

That was AWESOME. You got some good upshifts in there too.

Holy poo poo those brakes.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Haha yea, Im getting better at shifting it.

Those are still the original brakes and the one making the noise is the passenger side rear. It was soaked in brake fluid when I took them apart. I cleaned it up as well as I could with brake cleaner but I think it needs a few "high" speed stops to get it back in order. I have a wicked vibration that I have to find but once I do that Ill take it out and heat up the brakes a bunch of times and hopefully that will get rid of the noise. The brakes work really well right now except for that horrendous noise. If that doesnt work I found a place in CT that can reline the shoes for me.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

coolskillrex remix posted:

I want a scat pack challenger with those wheels. Did hell freeze over? What is wrong with me? :gonk:

I think Chrysler went full retard with the car guy mentality and we're only now noticing. I found this in my Viper the other day:

As Easter Eggs go that is pretty awesome. That's in a tiny space on the passenger door rail.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
Goddamnit now we're gonna need a volcano for all these rings. You don't suppose it's in Dearborn do you?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Count Freebasie posted:

I had a similar experience with a rental Camaro convertible, that I was 'upgraded' to, in a Los Angeles parking garage. Never again.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
drat I feel sorry for you guys. I would never buy a land barge but I've driven a friend's 1971 T-bird four door (same platform as the Lincoln Continental, and probably the biggest car I'll ever drive) which at 215+ inches long dwarfs the current Challenger or Camaro and had no problems maneuvering it. Y'all need to skill up, kids. :clint:

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 13, 2014

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

HotCanadianChick posted:

drat I feel sorry for you guys. I would never buy a land barge but I've driven a friend's 1971 T-bird four door (same platform as the Lincoln Continental, and probably the biggest car I'll ever drive) which at 215+ inches long dwarfs the current Challenger or Camaro and had no problems maneuvering it. Y'all need to skill up, kids. :clint:

That's quite the avatar you've got there :butt:

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
Finally got a non-poo poo camera.

Still taking poo poo pictures though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

HotCanadianChick posted:

My personal favorite is a friend of mine that looks down on full sized cars, station wagons, and sixties/seventies cars especially for being "too big," and "Jew Canoes."

He used to drive a long bed 1500. That was different because it was a "work truck."

He's in IT.

:v:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

MrYenko posted:

"Jew Canoes."

Nice friend you got there.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

GramCracker posted:

That's quite the avatar you've got there :butt:

Yes it is. :) Performs a valuable function by letting me know which posters are capable of reading my posts and formulating an articulate reply and which ones I can safely skim past because they're incapable of contributing beyond "hurr BRT avatar". :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fart Pipe posted:

Ah, the days when half your suspension was in the seat <boing, boing, boing>.
Also, what the hell is that on your head?

MetaJew posted:

I had a similar experience with a rental Camaro convertible, that I was 'upgraded' to, in a Los Angeles parking garage. Never again.

My '70 Cutlass is 210" long, and I don't have any problems maneuvering it around. 'Course, I've been driving it since 1990. It also weighs less, and has a smaller turning circle than a Charger (the front wheels have more room to turn, so it turns sharper), amazingly.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Darchangel posted:

My '70 Cutlass is 210" long, and I don't have any problems maneuvering it around. 'Course, I've been driving it since 1990. It also weighs less, and has a smaller turning circle than a Charger (the front wheels have more room to turn, so it turns sharper), amazingly.

You made me look it up. The 2014 Camaro has a 190" length, and a turning radius of 37.7". But, I'm talking about maneuvering in a cramped and narrow parking garage in a car with terrible visibility. I think everyone will get the hang of where their car is after owning and driving for a while, but as an unfamiliar vehicle it is terrible car stuff.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MetaJew posted:

You made me look it up. The 2014 Camaro has a 190" length, and a turning radius of 37.7". But, I'm talking about maneuvering in a cramped and narrow parking garage in a car with terrible visibility. I think everyone will get the hang of where their car is after owning and driving for a while, but as an unfamiliar vehicle it is terrible car stuff.

I'm with you on the visibility. How does anyone see anything out of the mail slots in a Camaro? My Cutlass has nice, big windows. Bit of a blind spot due to the fastback-style C-pillar, but overall not bad.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
On the topic of "Hugest car you've ever driven", I recently had a 2014 Taurus as a rental car, 202 inches long, zero visibility out of any window except the front one, with a ride height that puts the seating position at roughly the same height as a F-150 cockpit. It's basically an SUV that looks like a sedan. I could see the entire roof of normal-sized cars (Altima, Accord) while seated with the seat as low as it would go. I don't know how it felt so much bigger than the late 70's land barges I grew up around but it does.

I do have to commend the backup/parking sensor as there's no possible way you could ever parallel park it without that. I honestly believe a 1980's Lamborghini has more rear visibility.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Darchangel posted:

I'm with you on the visibility. How does anyone see anything out of the mail slots in a Camaro?

That's by far the most common complaint about the new gen Camaro; it's a side effect of putting what was a concept car into production without really changing anything other than the scale.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The biggest reason why I love Land Rovers. The loving greenhouse. I swear there's not one blind spot. And if anything I just turn my head a little and bam! More glass to see out of.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Darchangel posted:

Ah, the days when half your suspension was in the seat <boing, boing, boing>.
Also, what the hell is that on your head?

Its a Husky hat, as in the Uconn Huskies (I live in CT). Yea the seat is hilarious but necessary, I forget which thread I mentioned it in but the rear suspension is about 100 leaf springs and no shocks at all so all I have is the seat, haha.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
You guys seriously love to bitch about visibility. Its really not as a bad as you complain about. If you have side windows and mirrors you shouldn't have a problem parking it in any situation. Backup cameras and sensors are nice but absolutely not necessary even with modern cars like the charger or Taurus. I've driven 5th gen Camaro's and you get used to it after a drive or two and that's about the worst offender visibility wise.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

OneOverZero posted:

Red interiors best interiors.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Confirmed

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Counterpoint:

MiniFoo posted:

BROOOOOOOWWWWWN

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yerp:

(original red dash was mangled and I couldn't find another one reasonably priced, so it's black for now.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Oil slick makers unite!

How terrible are LR3/LR4s? I want a rugged SUV to replace my Wrangler because its poo poo on the highway, they entice me but scare me at the same time.