Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Why?

Why? Someone please tell me why, after reading all the above posts about Firefox completely freezing if you looked at those animated graphs and, with a dozen open tabs - why would I then go and open that loving link to see if it would happen to me too.

Why?

:negative:
It did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

Why? Someone please tell me why, after reading all the above posts about Firefox completely freezing if you looked at those animated graphs and, with a dozen open tabs - why would I then go and open that loving link to see if it would happen to me too.

Because sometimes you just have to taunt the gods, piss in the wind, see what happens if you take that step towards to the edge.

I did, and my Firefox did not crash. :smug:

Animated bars, Firefox 33.0.3 running on Windows 8.1 with Intel hardware.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Anyone else have issues with firefox and remembering session data? I can't for the life of me get it to remember that I'm logged into facebook between restarts, or even that I've already entered the two step auth code. Still better than twitter though which takes the auth code then kicks me back to the login page like nothing happened. loving bizzare and I have no idea what's causing this.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Generic Monk posted:

Anyone else have issues with firefox and remembering session data? I can't for the life of me get it to remember that I'm logged into facebook between restarts, or even that I've already entered the two step auth code. Still better than twitter though which takes the auth code then kicks me back to the login page like nothing happened. loving bizzare and I have no idea what's causing this.

Do you have CCleaner installed or anything like that?

Edit: Also, where in the hell did Firefox Developer Edition come from? It's replaced Aurora and the theme looks like something out of a teenager's stealth theme setup. It's awful.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 10, 2014

Read
Dec 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg3gyzAkTd0

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm afraid to click the check for updates button now.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Great. Hopefully someone can just do a direct copy of the regular theme.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

I don't actually think the new theme looks awful, but it's bad to tie something functionally useful to it.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
:siren:If you currently use Aurora, you can install Beta to get your profile back after the Developer Edition update:siren:

You can then play with Developer Edition or uninstall it at your discretion.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Great. Hopefully someone can just do a direct copy of the regular theme.

You literally just push a button to get the old theme.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

Avenging Dentist posted:

Which button is that?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

It tells you how on the welcome page.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Disgustipated posted:

Which button is that?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pobgoa5grsvzo9h/Screenshot%202014-11-10%2018.13.07.png

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

Avenging Dentist posted:

It tells you how on the welcome page.
I didn't get the welcome page because I manually upgraded my Aurora install from the about page and it loaded my profile after the restart which is set to show all my windows and tabs from last time and I immediately changed it to not use a separate profile. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction though.
That only changes what the new tab page looks like.

In case anyone is wondering, you just have to click Customize under the hamburger menu and there is a big rear end button for "Use Firefox Developer Edition Theme"

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Disgustipated posted:

That only changes what the new tab page looks like.

In case anyone is wondering, you just have to click Customize under the hamburger menu and there is a big rear end button for "Use Firefox Developer Edition Theme"

Oh, sorry. I thought that's what the discussion was. Youtube won't play for me; 34 BETA's H.264 support isn't working and gently caress installing Flash.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

jink posted:

Oh, sorry. I thought that's what the discussion was. Youtube won't play for me; 34 BETA's H.264 support isn't working and gently caress installing Flash.

The H.264 thing was never meant to play Youtube videos. It doesn't have an AAC decoder. It's for videochat.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Avenging Dentist posted:

The H.264 thing was never meant to play Youtube videos. It doesn't have an AAC decoder. It's for videochat.

This is a bit different; they are using the native decoders on the system to perform the playback. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1043696

It works as intended with YouTube (requesting the HTML5 player), but the latest BETA update broke things. Going to profile wipe and try it again.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Ohhh, you're on Mac. Sucks for you then I guess cuz Windows and Linux have had that for so long I forgot about it. :shrug:

I guess once that's fixed it'll just suck for Windows XP users (but then it already sucked for them so too bad).

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Avenging Dentist posted:

Ohhh, you're on Mac. Sucks for you then I guess cuz Windows and Linux have had that for so long I forgot about it. :shrug:

I guess once that's fixed it'll just suck for Windows XP users (but then it already sucked for them so too bad).

It's been a rocky road with Firefox on OSX; it's been on the back burner compared to Windows in regards to performance and H.264 support. Firefox amazes me on Windows; very well composed. This is all due to market share, of course.

A profile reset fixed Youtube videos. I hope this is just a BETA or addon issue and won't plague the final release.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Disgustipated posted:

Bless you!

Oh nice, they've finally got in-browser Options going in Aurora Firefox Developer Preview:

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 12, 2014

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
For H.264 on OS X: AFAIK, the plan was to copy the MPEG-4 demuxer from Android (from libstagefright) and use the native H.264 decoders for whatever OS (Media Foundation on Windows, Gstreamer for Linux, etc.) The issue on OS X was that they had been developing for AV Foundation before they started using libstagefright; they then had to rewrite their code to work with Core Media, which is lower level than AV Foundation. It should be working in Firefox 34 now.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

What is the best add-on for saving videos from streaming pages in general?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I just use http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/video_cache_view.html

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Do you have CCleaner installed or anything like that?

Yes, but I don't have it set to purge cookies and I only run it occasionally. It seems to only 'forget' particular websites too; facebook being the main one.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The last week Windows 7's jumplist for Firefox has been showing me the generic broken/unknown file icon for the links contained therein.
When I go to the \AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\#####\jumpListCache folder, there's 7 .ico files that are 0 bytes each, instead of proper icon files.
I've tried deleting them, clearing the cache and deleting them, deleting them and using the Places Maintenance plugin, rebooting after every attempt.
It keeps generating these 0 byte files.

How the gently caress do I fix this?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Screenshot?

A few suggestions anyway, try using CCleaner, but first grab Winapp2.ini here http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=102af9198cc4c85fe53e102c6cefeb25&showtopic=32310 and under the Windows section in CCleaner make sure this is checked.

quote:

[Recent Items More*]
LangSecRef=3025
DetectFile=%AppData%\Microsoft\windows\recent\customdestinations
Default=False
Warning=Running this will remove task lists from the start menu (the expandable triangle next to some applications)
FileKey1=%AppData%\Microsoft\windows\recent\automaticdestinations|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey2=%AppData%\Microsoft\windows\recent\customdestinations|*.*|RECURSE

If that doesn't work you can also try a program called Everything http://www.voidtools.com/ and searching your computer for the files you are trying to delete, chances are Everything will find some weird looking registry locations for that file name and you can delete those and the problem should be fixed.

Another fix for broken looking files is to delete the IconCache at C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local Make sure 'show hidden folders and files' is enabled in the explorer option, when you delete that file go into Task Manager and end process 'explorer.exe' then still in Task Manager go File > New Task > 'explorer.exe' to start it again.

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 13, 2014

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

E: Note that the actual links are working fine, just the icon is hosed up.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I would start with

quote:

Another fix for broken looking files is to delete the IconCache at C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local Make sure 'show hidden folders and files' is enabled in the explorer option, when you delete that file go into Task Manager and end process 'explorer.exe' then still in Task Manager go File > New Task > 'explorer.exe' to start it again.

first, and try CCleaner as a last option as CCleaner will remove them from the jump list, if that's a problem for you.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Welp, none of that poo poo worked for me. Even found some more commands for rebuilding the Windows icon cache, which it does seem to do properly.
But then Firefox generates empty .ico files.

I'm pretty sure this started when I updated to 33.0.3. Maybe I'll try reinstalling Firefox some time.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I'm not really sure then, when files look like that it's usually because of an corrupted IconCache which is super common and deleting the old IconCache file and restarting explorer.exe always fixes that. When files 'are' deleted but don't seem to be removed from your computer, then that's a registry thing and the Everything trick does wonders, happens to me all the time with Java 8 installs. If it's Firefox that is creating those files, then my guess would be one of your add-ons, try disabling every single add-on and see if those files reappear, if they don't then it is an add-on issue, you can re-enable each add-on one one by one again to see if you can pinpoint the problem one.

Curious what extension those files are, .pdf, .html, bookmarks?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Avenging Dentist posted:

What if I want the developer theme in regular firefox? Doesn't look like it's a regular theme under addons. I haven't had a chance to dig in the actual files yet though

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Im_Special posted:

I'm not really sure then, when files look like that it's usually because of an corrupted IconCache which is super common and deleting the old IconCache file and restarting explorer.exe always fixes that. When files 'are' deleted but don't seem to be removed from your computer, then that's a registry thing and the Everything trick does wonders, happens to me all the time with Java 8 installs. If it's Firefox that is creating those files, then my guess would be one of your add-ons, try disabling every single add-on and see if those files reappear, if they don't then it is an add-on issue, you can re-enable each add-on one one by one again to see if you can pinpoint the problem one.

Curious what extension those files are, .pdf, .html, bookmarks?

I guess that when I get back to my computer after my trip, I'll check what creates the 0b icon files with procmon. And try the stuff you mentioned in your first post. I hadn't noticed that you edited it.
Thanks for the effort, anyway.

E: The links in the jump list that are showing bad icons are most frequently visited sites, so they usually display the relevant favicon. They all link to regular websites for me, no pdf or other exotic things.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 14, 2014

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Geemer posted:

I guess that when I get back to my computer after my trip, I'll check what creates the 0b icon files with procmon. And try the stuff you mentioned in your first post. I hadn't noticed that you edited it.
Thanks for the effort, anyway.

E: The links in the jump list that are showing bad icons are most frequently visited sites, so they usually display the relevant favicon. They all link to regular websites for me, no pdf or other exotic things.

Sorry not sure how to fix it, but I'm looking at mine and I have the exact same issue. I just never noticed :monocle:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

The Merkinman posted:

Sorry not sure how to fix it, but I'm looking at mine and I have the exact same issue. I just never noticed :monocle:

Well shoot fire. I have the same issue on mine, too.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Same here. Mine are just plain white though.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

saucepanman posted:

Same here. Mine are just plain white though.

I have this for the ones that are broken.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Generic Monk posted:

Yes, but I don't have it set to purge cookies and I only run it occasionally. It seems to only 'forget' particular websites too; facebook being the main one.

Found facebook.com in the cookie blocking settings under 'allow for session'. Deleted it from there. Still fucks up. How do I delete absolutely everything from firefox and start fresh?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Generic Monk posted:

Found facebook.com in the cookie blocking settings under 'allow for session'. Deleted it from there. Still fucks up. How do I delete absolutely everything from firefox and start fresh?

Browse to about :support and hit Reset Firefox. If that doesn't fix you, go back to about :support and click the "Show Folder" button. Close FF, delete that folder, and open FF up again.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
33.0.3 seems to have messed up switching tabs a little. Whenever I switch a tab over to Youtube, sometimes it won't display anything on the page except the video overlaid on the previous tab. Switching between tabs again will fix it. I just grabbed the latest flash update too and it still happens. Just another small annoyance building up into a small pile of annoyances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

33.0.3 seems to have messed up switching tabs a little. Whenever I switch a tab over to Youtube, sometimes it won't display anything on the page except the video overlaid on the previous tab. Switching between tabs again will fix it. I just grabbed the latest flash update too and it still happens. Just another small annoyance building up into a small pile of annoyances.

Update to 33.1 and see if that helps.