Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Running out of IPs is short sighted nonsense, but I feel for storage restraints. I have had the "we buy storage, or we stop boarding customers" conversation more times than I care to think about.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

A $5 footlong is a cheap price to get people to work an extra hour

Some companies brag WE ALL EAT LUNCH TOGETHER EVERY DAY LOL but I don't think I would like that

Lunch time isn't about eating, it's about being left the gently caress alone for an hour. I'll go eat out in my car if I have to.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

Actual email from IT:

We have about 200 people in our office but our income is much larger than that number would suggest. We're not even in anything media-related.

Brought to you by the same IT department that "ran out of IP addresses so please turn off wifi on your phones".

I once changed the time on the printer and when I mentioned it to the network administrator, he said, "How did you do that? It's password protected!" and looked stunned when I told him I used the default password in the manual. I wish I could replace our IT department with some of you guys :( but stay away from my local admin

E-mail is an exponential monster. They were still doing it wrong. They should just set you a reasonable limit per mailbox and when you go over you get a nag message saying "Hey, you don't get to use your e-mail till you delete poo poo moron".

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Rhymenoserous posted:

E-mail is an exponential monster. They were still doing it wrong. They should just set you a reasonable limit per mailbox and when you go over you get a nag message saying "Hey, you don't get to use your e-mail till you delete poo poo moron".

This would never happen here. Not unless the limit is 20 gigs or something. But okay, if that's their solution, I can understand.
Their only solution is enforcing an "empty the deleted items folder at logoff", which is obviously fine and I'm sure something some of you would love to implement as well. I do wonder if they'll get the "but that's where I save everything" tickets, though.

But, storage. Storage is so cheap these days, I don't see how bad it could be. Admittedly I'm not in IT so I'm willing to accept that I'm wrong, but even with raid 5+1 or something, it's the $/gigabyte is still pretty drat low.

IT also asked managers to delete PDFs to help with storage. I don't know how many thousands of PDFs they want us to delete to save that couple gigabytes of extra space they're looking for.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 13, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Good news, Psydude! We bought everyone in the office Subway, now you don't even need to go out during lunch! Ahhh but wouldn't you know, we do need you to take a look at this problem in production and sit through this meeting.

I always feel bad for the one person who's order gets forgotten when you order lunch from somewhere like a chinese place, and then the receptionist has to run out and get them Subway :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

totalnewbie posted:

This would never happen here. Not unless the limit is 20 gigs or something. But okay, if that's their solution, I can understand.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I always feel bad for the one person who's order gets forgotten when you order lunch from somewhere like a chinese place, and then the receptionist has to run out and get them Subway :(

This is why you order parity dishes so even if one meal is lost, you can still create a full dish for the person.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Demonachizer posted:

This is why you order parity dishes so even if one meal is lost, you can still create a full dish for the person.

LUNCH-5

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

That's hilarious cause the internal exchange server limit was set to 2GB.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Rhymenoserous posted:

it's about being left the gently caress alone for an hour. I'll go eat out in my car if I have to.

A thousand times this.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

There are some customers who require that no data concerning that customer ever touch "The Cloud" . Also, as if IT would ever relinquish that bit of power.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

If my data touches that cloud, then my data will be touching all the data that cloud has ever stored!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

totalnewbie posted:

But, storage. Storage is so cheap these days, I don't see how bad it could be. Admittedly I'm not in IT so I'm willing to accept that I'm wrong, but even with raid 5+1 or something, it's the $/gigabyte is still pretty drat low.

Storage is very cheap per GB if you're just buying drives. The hardware you plug the drives into ain't cheap if you want the good stuff.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Yeah, I was thinking of that a bit after I posted that. How much is a reasonable one for a 200 person office? 10-15k?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Do you really need 20gb of email storage? Good lord. After working here 4.5 years, I've got about 65mb of email accumulated. It would be a stretch to even get to 1gb.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Demonachizer posted:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

totalnewbie posted:

Yeah, I was thinking of that a bit after I posted that. How much is a reasonable one for a 200 person office? 10-15k?

I dunno, what's a reasonable car for me to drive?

(It depends on how much storage space you each need :zoid: )

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 13, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Do you really need 20gb of email storage? Good lord. After working here 4.5 years, I've got about 65mb of email accumulated. It would be a stretch to even get to 1gb.

That's like what 5 emails

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bob Morales posted:

That's like what 5 emails

2327 as of this minute. 50 in my inbox, the rest I'll probably never even reference again.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Demonachizer posted:

Redundant Array of Inexpensive Dishes?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

totalnewbie posted:

Actual email from IT:

We have about 200 people in our office but our income is much larger than that number would suggest. We're not even in anything media-related.

Brought to you by the same IT department that "ran out of IP addresses so please turn off wifi on your phones".

I once changed the time on the printer and when I mentioned it to the network administrator, he said, "How did you do that? It's password protected!" and looked stunned when I told him I used the default password in the manual. I wish I could replace our IT department with some of you guys :( but stay away from my local admin

The 192.168.1.1 DHCP scope our Linksys router from 2003 is full. No way to change it, remove wifi from your phones.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The 192.168.1.1 DHCP scope our Linksys router from 2003 is full. No way to change it, remove wifi from your phones.

Those can only handle about 40-50 devices and then they poo poo the bed anyway.

The real solution is to plug another linksys router from 2003 in there and double-NAT!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Bob Morales posted:

Those can only handle about 40-50 devices and then they poo poo the bed anyway.

The real solution is to plug another linksys router from 2003 in there and double-NAT!

The network is slow? You must have a virus, we need to take your machine for 4 days while we reimage it. Here is a loaner from 2003.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

:smith:

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

:kheldragar:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Sirotan posted:

Jesus. 5 months in and I'm over 2Gb, and that's WITH auto-deletion of alerts and other crap.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just setup auto-archiving and you can save your old mail items on your computer!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

That wouldn't be enough for me for a DAY. (Sometimes)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Amazon. We do a lot of ecommerce and manage our own, and client feeds. This means we are updating several hundred thousand products a day via XML. Turns out one of our suppliers was doing an optimistic round-up on the gram weight of products when converting from DWT/Grains/Troy/CTW to grams. Normally this isn't a big deal, but when it's gold/platinum/diamonds you tend to want to be accurate for that kind of thing. So, we change the weights in the database, the hundreds of thousands of products are propagated out to Amazon/Nextag/TheFind/Shopping/Google/Sears/Walmart/etc. Except on Amazon the weights don't change for some reason. I have had a ticket open for >over month< asking why these weights won't update. They say :
"Hello - Your weight attribute is protected in the jewelry category, please submit a manual list of SKUs and their new weight"

(Jewelry is so weird and cultish on Amazon it might as well not be Amazon any more based on the rules/requirements) gently caress that I say, there's over 100,000 of them. They say okay, give us the FeedID of the upload that is changing weights. So I write them with the FeedIDs saying 'okay these are the ones that are changing the weights'. The response, after over a month, and 12 obvious back and forth emails on the case showing what had happened?

"Hello - Your weight attribute is protected in the jewelry category, please submit a manual list of SKUs and their new weight"

DID YOU EVEN LOOK AT THE loving CASE HISTORY YOU INCREDIBLE BUMWAD

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

Storage may appear cheap if you look in the catalogues and see a special on 1TB USB drives.
But properly managed, backed-up enterprise storage for servers costs more. It is cheaper than it used to be and may very well be cheaper than the lost productivity in juggling space when it is tight. But trying to get capital expenditure approved in some places can be a real battle. Especially if you are trying to get it past an accountant whose bonus depends on keeping cap-ex below a certain threshold.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Scaramouche posted:

Print that poo poo out and mail it to them.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Our new infrastructure admin said that across vendors and products and even scale, $1/Gb is a good rule of thumb right now.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

baquerd posted:

Print that poo poo out and mail it to them.

The 'best' part; if Amazon does a test buy (and they will; this is how we found out about it in the first place) and the product comes in underweight they will straight up expunge us from the marketplace. For something they won't let us fix.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sirotan posted:

I've moved to a new mail server about two weeks ago. All my old mail is in several PSTs (broken down by year) I decided to start fresh and use Inbox Zero (I really like it). I have a "Look at soon", "Do NOW OR DIE!" and "Archive". I keep all my sent mail and trash is emptied at the end of the day. All mail answered or otherwise dealt with goes into the Archive with a variety of Classification tags applied.

I have over 1200 emails in my archive for the last two weeks.

It's mostly project work, and I have a lot of in flight projects I'm involved in, but that's how it is when you have a project meeting once a week for each project at different times and days and everything else is conducted via email or IM.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sirotan posted:

I bet you delete emails with 9MB attachments for some reason, weirdo

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
We have one user (in Sales of course) with about 20GB of email as well.
And roughly 100GB of files that she keeps on her laptop instead of the network drive (good job really - the entire company's shared files only add up to 140 so we'd have to nearly double the allocation just to accommodate her hoarding) because she goes home and continues working, never actually spends a second NOT working except to sleep, and "NEEDS" instant access to - no exaggeration - every file, every bit of correspondence (newsletters included), everything in her 15-20 years or so of history.
And no, she doesn't have backups.
And yes, we've very strongly suggested it. "I don't have time! I'm SO busy"
To be fair, now might be a good time to look at some kind of butt storage. Still need to fit a bigger SSD or hybrid though, as I'm certain that "what if I'm somewhere without wifi?? How will I get instant access to what I told that customer in 1994?" would come into it.

====

Meanwhile, some people came to demonstrate a telephone system. Unlike all the other candidates, they neglected to actually bring a demo system (despite giving us the impression they would, and wasting the time of some angry managers who took time out of their day to attend), and thought that a bit of Powerpoint would suffice

10/10 would totally do business with

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 14, 2014

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I end up with around 10GB of email per year, which I happily archive into PSTs. This has been helpful, as on occasion I'll have a client who wants to re-invent history. The large size isn't helped by the fact that, while my employer does many things very well, they have a culture of emailing documents around rather than using SharePoint or ShareFile or eRooms, all of which are available to us.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I have unlimited storage for email.

Unlimited.

I think that if I started getting up into the terabytes range, my manager might give me the stinkeye by proxy, but then again I don't think anyone would even notice a terabyte around here.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Volmarias posted:

I have unlimited storage for email.

Unlimited.

I think that if I started getting up into the terabytes range, my manager might give me the stinkeye by proxy, but then again I don't think anyone would even notice a terabyte around here.

If it's exchange 2010 or better, the backend mail datastores start getting deeply unhappy right around that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

If it's exchange 2010 or better, the backend mail datastores start getting deeply unhappy right around that point.

It's not :smugdog:

I work for a company that makes their own very popular email backend :ssh: Its Google and I can't stop humblebragging