Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
Haha my Cricket Moto G ($149 was too cheap to resist) is getting here tomorrow good one Cricket! At least I'll be able to make phone calls outside the city limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Any chances these issues with Cricket are regional? I'm on Long Island, and haven't noticed anything weird with my speed...

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Oops. Switched off LTE on my wife's phone to see if it would be slow. It was, when I switched to back she now has lovely speeds! So if you aren't having issues don't do that or reboot.

carb0nex
Nov 5, 2012

TraderStav posted:

.... And it's poo poo again

Yep, same here. .68/.35 on my speed test.

This is awesome. I'm now thinking about going to Tmobile. There was a guy in class yesterday who did a speed test and was getting 32/12. I was quite jealous.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

TraderStav posted:

.... And it's poo poo again

What speed test app is that?

Also almost 18% packet loss. Their proxy is definitely knackered.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Athenry posted:

What speed test app is that?

Also almost 18% packet loss. Their proxy is definitely knackered.

Looks like the FCC one to me.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

esperantinc posted:

Looks like the FCC one to me.

Correct. It's badass.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Still hosed up in Detroit. 350kbps and ~30% packet loss according to that FCC app.

E: Can't even get Pandora to stream now. Making a real bad first impression Cricket.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 14, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

loving hell, it's gone poo poo again in Omaha too. Once again Spotify having more unexpected breaks than the middling-function alcoholics in the telesales department where I work.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.
Cricket seems to be on a seesaw here in D.C. Switching LTE off sometimes helps. Maybe this is just them taking on too many subs too quickly.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Speedtest measured 60kbps download, then gave a network error. Haha.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
3G: 2.72Mbps/1.31Mbps, 141ms, 3.7% packet loss
LTE: Failed/66.38Kbps, 119ms, 31.03% packet loss.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

3G: 2.72Mbps/1.31Mbps, 141ms, 3.7% packet loss
LTE: Failed/66.38Kbps, 119ms, 31.03% packet loss.

Thanks for this, flying on what must be hspa+ now. Actually pulled 3.1mbps down just now. Wonder what the gently caress happened to their LTE?

E: might just leave it on hspa+ for a while. Does it use less battery than LTE?

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 14, 2014

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Soundcloud couldn't play my songs on cricket today. I thought it was because i switched phones but now with all these posts...

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Cricket sucking in NC too. I even made an angry tweet!

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Mister Fister posted:

Soundcloud couldn't play my songs on cricket today. I thought it was because i switched phones but now with all these posts...

If your LTE has crawled to an unusable speed like mine, you can have the phone use 3g/hspa instead by changing the preferred network type under mobile network settings (if you're on android, don't know about iPhones).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Weird my z3c doesn't have that option.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Nexus 4:

Not sure if that's normal for Cricket here as I rarely use Speedtest.

A friend in Silver Lake, KS got this on his Moto X (2013):

Silver Lake is only 3 hours from here so it looks like it's really random whatever is happening.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

TraderStav posted:

Weird my z3c doesn't have that option.

Try gsm only. On my moto x, I actually had to choose wcdma to get it to switch to hspa+. It was either that or 2g Edge. Just experiment a bit because it looks to be phone dependent.

Of course, this shouldn't have to be an issue if LTE was working right.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Tested LTE in Las Vegas and got 2mb/3mb and 4mb/3mb on 4g.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Welp, that explains why i haven't noticed anything weird. My 2014 Moto G is HSPA only.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

SouthLAnd posted:

Try gsm only. On my moto x, I actually had to choose wcdma to get it to switch to hspa+. It was either that or 2g Edge. Just experiment a bit because it looks to be phone dependent.

Of course, this shouldn't have to be an issue if LTE was working right.

WCDMA did it. I tried it yesterday but it was also slow so I ruled it out. GSM was miserable EDGE. Thanks!

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

SouthLAnd posted:

If your LTE has crawled to an unusable speed like mine, you can have the phone use 3g/hspa instead by changing the preferred network type under mobile network settings (if you're on android, don't know about iPhones).

My Moto X (2013) only has 'Automatic' and '2G only' in preferred network type. Is my phone set up wrong?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Vykk.Draygo posted:

My Moto X (2013) only has 'Automatic' and '2G only' in preferred network type. Is my phone set up wrong?

Nah, some phones just don't let you choose.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

LTE is back to full speed 8mbps here in Detroit metro as of 1:15am. Hopefully it sticks.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

For a quick break from Cricketchat, does the thread have an overall impression of Republic Wireless?

From a technical point of view, I find their all-VoIP strategy really interesting. (And hey, at least it's something besides "We're yet another MVNO, just like all the others!") But of course the devil's going to be in the details; it could be amazing or unusably bad. Is it worth a shot?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

SouthLAnd posted:

LTE is back to full speed 8mbps here in Detroit metro as of 1:15am. Hopefully it sticks.

Same thing happened the day before. As people went to bed it got better and as they woke up, poo poo.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Powered Descent posted:

For a quick break from Cricketchat, does the thread have an overall impression of Republic Wireless?

From a technical point of view, I find their all-VoIP strategy really interesting. (And hey, at least it's something besides "We're yet another MVNO, just like all the others!") But of course the devil's going to be in the details; it could be amazing or unusably bad. Is it worth a shot?

It's a Sprint-based MVNO that relies on WiFi to provide most of its services.

If you're in an area with good WiFi and Sprint coverage, it might work great. The other 95% of the country probably should go elsewhere.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Powered Descent posted:

I really like republic because the cell phone signal at home from any network is terrible, so the wifi VOIP with seamless handover is great. Sprint is also fine in my area (previously I was on Virgin Mobile which is also sprint). The only thing I dislike is that they dropped their roaming data allowance from like 500 megabytes to 25 megabytes a couple of months back because apparently it's very expensive for them to provide roaming. It doesn't bother me near home but if I was going on a trip I'd be worried about using my phone a lot since it's hard to tell if you're roaming or not.

I don't use a lot of mobile data off wifi so I just go with the 3g plan on a Moto X and for $25/mo it's great. The slow updates to android kind of sucks because Republic has to integrate their calling software into the phone image, so we may not see 5.0 until next year, but the phone works fine as it is so I'm not too upset.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.

Powered Descent posted:

I had Republic for a few months and I think it's a cool idea but Sprint was awful here, so when I was away from Wi-Fi, I could barely use data. On Wi-Fi, it was a great experience. Plus I hated having to wait longer for updates. It's something I'd look into again if they used a better network.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Thanks all!

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Nov 17, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PurpleJesus posted:

I had Republic for a few months and I think it's a cool idea but Sprint was awful here, so when I was away from Wi-Fi, I could barely use data. On Wi-Fi, it was a great experience. Plus I hated having to wait longer for updates. It's something I'd look into again if they used a better network.

This is the issue I have with Ting. If it wasn't for the Sprint stench I would never have left them, but for ~15 more monthly than I typically paid, I could get data that actually loving works when used.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

If you're on the 3gb Cricket plan and run out of data, is there any reason to buy the extra 1gb for $10 vs just changing your plan to the 10gb plan? Are there ramifications for changing your plan?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If you're on the 3gb Cricket plan and run out of data, is there any reason to buy the extra 1gb for $10 vs just changing your plan to the 10gb plan? Are there ramifications for changing your plan?

No. It's better to upgrade. They prorate the charge and set usage to zero.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I don't regret opting for the 10GB a month plan. I look to be on track to use about 8 gigs before the next billing cycle. Crickets been real awesome save for those recent couple days where the data went to poo poo. I just could not stream any music or videos those days. I'll certainly be sticking with the pro plan for the foreseeable future.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

TraderStav posted:

No. It's better to upgrade. They prorate the charge and set usage to zero.

Would this interfere with the 60 days of uninterrupted service required for the referral bonus?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Would this interfere with the 60 days of uninterrupted service required for the referral bonus?

Doubt it, but don't have real knowledge on it. The moving between plans seems like no big deal from them. You just pick it and they adjust.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SouthLAnd posted:

I don't regret opting for the 10GB a month plan. I look to be on track to use about 8 gigs before the next billing cycle. Crickets been real awesome save for those recent couple days where the data went to poo poo. I just could not stream any music or videos those days. I'll certainly be sticking with the pro plan for the foreseeable future.

Same here - Google Music seems to stream at higher bitrates than stuff like Spotify or Pandora or Rdio but with 10gb I can afford to not give a single gently caress, and I like Google's playlist curation a little more.

zerocrash
Apr 14, 2009
I have an at&t locked phone. Would it be possible for me to give it to my sister who has Straight Talk if she used ST's at&t sim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

zerocrash posted:

I have an at&t locked phone. Would it be possible for me to give it to my sister who has Straight Talk if she used ST's at&t sim?

It is my understanding that you do not need to unlock a phone if it's on an MVNO with the same carrier. So yes it should work fine.