Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Thanatosian posted:

Who the hell put eight words in at once? Had to have been MMM, right?

It was merk. I thought tomorrow (or tonight) was going to be a fight between MMM and merk, then winvirus out of nowhere submitted a 13-word guess and I was like "ohhhh snap"

MMM used his guesses to suss out word locations. He was sending me PMs with his progress just to keep me informed - I wasn't giving him results for those, but it let me know that he had 11 identified words and 10 in the right spot. I believe he still needed Hal's and EXAKT's - Hal claimed in thread after his guess, and it looked like EXAKT was gonna get killed (revealing his location), so I knew MMM would have it if he survived to the morning of D5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
So how many of us put our real word in the "wrong guess" list?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

Nobody seemed to notice that somebody had a "within one" placement for day 1, which was ActingPower misplacing his own word.
Oh, I assumed that was ActingPower's guess of the words that had already been guessed, so I didn't want to call attention to it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Byers2142 posted:

So how many of us put our real word in the "wrong guess" list?

Hal and winvirus at the least.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Power of Pecota posted:

Hal and winvirus at the least.

I did, too. GLASGOW, but then someone removed it from the list.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

It was merk. I thought tomorrow (or tonight) was going to be a fight between MMM and merk, then winvirus out of nowhere submitted a 13-word guess and I was like "ohhhh snap"

MMM used his guesses to suss out word locations. He was sending me PMs with his progress just to keep me informed - I wasn't giving him results for those, but it let me know that he had 11 identified words and 10 in the right spot. I believe he still needed Hal's and EXAKT's - Hal claimed in thread after his guess, and it looked like EXAKT was gonna get killed (revealing his location), so I knew MMM would have it if he survived to the morning of D5.
Truth, now: did you think I had a shot?

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

We are all so clever :v:

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
This was a fun game. I had 7 words when everybody was surprised about Thanatosians 6, and I was confused because I hadn't talked to many people, and I was doing better than somebody people were worried about.

I had also started helping MMM, and I would have helped him get one more word if he needed it tomorrow.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I was actually feeling kind of bad about lying to MMM and taking advantage of him so much.

And then it turns out that fucker had 13 words! :P

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Thanatosian posted:

Truth, now: did you think I had a shot?

You were my pony going in, actually. You sent me those pre-game questions via PM and I could get a sense of your strategy, and you seemed really into it, which is always awesome to see as a mod. You hadn't guessed yet today, so I didn't know where you stood - how many did you have before MMM went nuclear?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

You were my pony going in, actually. You sent me those pre-game questions via PM and I could get a sense of your strategy, and you seemed really into it, which is always awesome to see as a mod. You hadn't guessed yet today, so I didn't know where you stood - how many did you have before MMM went nuclear?

12, with 11 positions. I needed merk's word (which is why I kept advocating for lynching him).

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Now, I can never play another one of these; no one will ever trust me.

I retire, undefeated. :P

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I gave Thanos everything I had as I lay dying. Did it help at all or were you already there?

Good game!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Somberbrero posted:

I gave Thanos everything I had as I lay dying. Did it help at all or were you already there?

Good game!
I didn't have Strongmouse's word or your position.

Did you or did you not have Rarity's word? Because you didn't give me that. :P

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

Thanatosian posted:

I didn't have Strongmouse's word or your position.

Did you or did you not have Rarity's word? Because you didn't give me that. :P

Somber had my word. Did he just forget to give it to you?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Strong Mouse posted:

Somber had my word. Did he just forget to give it to you?

I was saying that was one of the two things I didn't have that he gave to me. I made a point of not voting for anyone I'd traded words with.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Figures the fun is over by the time I get home :negative:

I thought I did well, although I sure wish I actually could have been present today and not at work and also very sleep deprived.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Good job Thanos-dude!

I definitely was a bit behind, before MMM blew poo poo up I only had 11 words with maybe 9 in the right place. I completely suspected that MMM knew more than he was telling me and I definitely was a little too passive and honest and spent too much time early on hoping that Poque had secretly used some pattern I could discern and trying to figure that out (even if he said he didn't really... I figured he wasn't above bending the truth).

hats off to merk for actually guessing a word, too.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I very rarely lied in this game, except for questions like "how many words do you have?" near the end of the game.

I was really pissed when I guessed JUPITER and MERCURY but not NEPTUNE with my first guessed.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
If you guys have feedback on the setup and the like, though, I'd really love to hear it. I'd like to run this again at some point with some variations and I'd like to see what you think would/wouldn't work.

Poque posted:

I'd love to hear what people thought worked and didn't work about the setup and the game itself. I have a lot of ways I could modify it for future runs:
  • Players pick their own codes
  • Nobody knows their own segment's placement
  • Line of communication on D1 / No OOT communication at all
  • Number of guesses per day increases as the game goes on
  • Reveal the lowest number of each pice of info each day
  • Give a histogram of correctly placed words each day
  • Identify people who don't make a guess
  • Reveal a player's best guess (numbers, not actual guess) when they are eliminated

Things like that.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Poque posted:

If you guys have feedback on the setup and the like, though, I'd really love to hear it. I'd like to run this again at some point with some variations and I'd like to see what you think would/wouldn't work.

I'm going to type something up this weekend, Poque. Promise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I like how you limited the OOT communication. However, I still feel like I was at a major disadvantage because I could not engage in as much OOT communication as other players. This isn't something you can fix, but it might be something that you call out in the next game.

• Locked thread