Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011
This is killing me. The meta episodes are some of my favorites, I gotta say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

"The second act has robots and tentacles. I can't even..."

:lol:

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
It's chuck!! Holy gently caress!

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:
"Thats Adam, hes still trapped in the cage with lucifer."
:lol:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I was hoping like hell Chuck would show up! Finally! Love that it's still ambiguous about his true nature.

Also the hilarious Adam name drop.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't posted in here this season but HOLY poo poo THAT WAS AWESOME!

I spent that entire episode giggling uncontrollably while occasionally cowering in embarrassment. One day I'll marathon all the meta episodes but I think this may have topped the rest. The title montage. "Why are they standing so close?" Adam. Tentacles. Subtext. Terrible musical numbers. Dean turns into a woman. Subtext. Robots. Subtext. Ghost Facers. Chuck!

Did I mention subtext?

Also, I went back and paused the shot of the whole cast being given a pep talk and Im pretty sure I noticed Ellen, Jo, and Ash. I think Sheriff Mills and Crowley too. And the robot.

No matter what Supernatural ever does I'll never get tired of how fully and completely they love to make fun of themselves. And the really creepy elements of their fanbase. One of these days I just have to marathon all the meta episodes.

And I love that they went for the sentimental moment when Sam and Dean watch their "family" singing Carry On My Wayward Son. Only Supernatural could pull that off. And of course the Adam callback.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 12, 2014

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
That was incredible.

Think the new goal will be to finally release Adam from the cage? Not like next week's goal or the season's goal, but the "we can't retire from hunting, especially not until Adam's out" goal.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Yeah I'm hoping that the Adam and Chuck thing means returning to the tone and themes of seasons 3/4/5 since those were my favorite.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This episode was mindbogglingly good. I've never seen a meta episode done as well as this. I cannot wait for the cast commentary on the DVD.

I will never get tired of the 2 actors mocking the gay shipping in the fandom either.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Fun episode. I followed along with Jensen Ackles and Misha Collins livetweeting which was pretty neat too.

I thought it was pretty slick how they had the play within the show being put on by an all-girls school, due to the main complaint about the show being the lack of main female roles.. Granted it's just a one off though so I dunno if too much can be read into that. Dean catching himself after doing the "Jerk" "Bitch" retorts was good. Perhaps Dean will be less apt to use the term on pretty much every female now? Hmm..

Man that would be pretty cool if they try to bust out Adam but then how messed up would he be by this point? Maybe Michael is able to protect him from Lucifer..

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Oh my god, that entire sequence from when Sam and Dean entered the theater was incredible.

The rendition of Carry On Wayward Son was actually really good, the Adam line was great and CHUCK!

Basically, this was one of the best episodes in the series and probably the best since the French Mistake.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

That was some catchy music. I thought another meta episode would be annoying but drat, this episode was fun.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Not gonna lie, started clapping and laughing at the reveal at the end.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

It was awesome. I was howling with laughter at Jensen breaking the fourth wall. I teared up at Carry On Wayward Son. I full on cried when Dean took the Samulet and put it on the mirror. I squealed at Chuck.

I really hope next week is as good as it looks, too. Supernatural Clue sounds awesome!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo, the scarecrow dude was actually played by that big guy who was the golem.

Also, god drat Destiel is killing it on twitter. Poor Jared is stuck on a plane so he's basically a giant moose with a target painted on him.

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
I wasn;t a big fan of tonights episode. They've done these types of episodes way better in the past.

GrunZicle
May 7, 2008
That was the best episode in seasons. By a long way.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Smith & Smith "no relation"

Their code names never get old.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I love the way they've managed to find a way to reference the fandom within the show in a way that makes sense and allows for episodes like this.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

GreenNight posted:

Finally gonna see the Furlings.

No one else here responded to this so I just want you to know, I saw your post. It did not go unappreciated. It was a good post. :unsmith:

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I was just saw it too. I wonder how many of the SG1 crew joined up with the Supernatural team.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Y'know, subtext had me laughing.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Teek posted:

I was hoping like hell Chuck would show up! Finally! Love that it's still ambiguous about his true nature.

Also the hilarious Adam name drop.

I don't have a source handy but I'm pretty sure they all but confirmed Chuck = God.

Nevermind, found it.

quote:

Rob Benedict (Chuck Shurley): At first I was just the prophet, and I had to go back to watch old episodes because I knew they were making references to things I wasn’t quite sure [about]. I knew he was kind of a joke in the writers’ room, but then as it went on, it became clear it was a little more than that, that I was more like Kripke himself. And by my final episode, I realized that I was Kripke, and that’s when he called me and was like “how does it feel, that you’re God?” and I was like, “Am I?! Really?”

Source

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Awesome episode all around, but since nobody has mentioned it :lol: at the really bad CGI of the Impala driving off into the sunset.

Also, the Chuck reveal at the end blew my mind. I was totally expecting it to be someone else.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Shroomie posted:

Also, the Chuck reveal at the end blew my mind. I was totally expecting it to be someone else.

Who? Becky?

She's still around, right?

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011
The scene where Sam was making fun of Destiel had me actually laughing. The whole episode was just really well done.

Lunadystopia
Oct 15, 2014
The ending of the episode was something remarkable. The rendition of Carry on my wayward son and Chuck and the Samulet! Too bad that the driving into the sunset was such a low CGI. Oh well..I found the whole episode awkwardly funny in a good way. I was hoping for a little singing from the guys but oh well next time I guess.

Btw, SUBTEXT.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I think the bad CGI was sort of a joke on the play props.

Lunadystopia
Oct 15, 2014

computer parts posted:

I think the bad CGI was sort of a joke on the play props.

I really hope! Because it's season 10 they know how to work on the CGI by now :) ahaha

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

Lunadystopia posted:

I really hope! Because it's season 10 they know how to work on the CGI by now :) ahaha

I am sure they did it low budget to keep with the props of the episode.

Overall a really solid anniversary episode, with meta wrapped in a hotpocket of subtext.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
This show has really been wearing on me the last two season with its wheel-spinning and tedious over-earnest, bro-moment retreads.

But this episode was pure gold.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

The 'subtext' of Dean turning into a woman at the end of the play. Well, all the subtext jokes really.

That was completely brilliant.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Does this mean next season is going to be Robots and Space because that would be awesome

I know that was just an attack at fans who kept saying "metatron is going to go and stage an alien invasion" ok

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Whalley posted:

I know that was just an attack at fans who kept saying "metatron is going to go and stage an alien invasion" ok

Wait, WHAT? This is an actual thing?!

I'm so glad SA is the only place I discuss Supernatural.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
"I used this for my one woman Orphan Black show last year."

I love how true and possible this line is.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

Wait, WHAT? This is an actual thing?!
Yeah. Basically, there was more than one mention to Metatron going to another planet instead of dealing with poo poo on Earth, and he said to someone else at one point "I'm coming back" and it's just like, I personally would love it, but it also would be the dumbest fuckin' poo poo this show's done outside of Bloodlines.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Whalley posted:

Yeah. Basically, there was more than one mention to Metatron going to another planet instead of dealing with poo poo on Earth, and he said to someone else at one point "I'm coming back" and it's just like, I personally would love it, but it also would be the dumbest fuckin' poo poo this show's done outside of Bloodlines.

I mean, Death has basically confirmed the existence of aliens in two of his appearances, but we know that's never going to happen, so seriously, what the hell.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Some Numbers posted:

I mean, Death has basically confirmed the existence of aliens in two of his appearances, but we know that's never going to happen, so seriously, what the hell.

Aliens can exist, but have their planets so far away that they will never conceivably get here. I doubt we'll ever see martians with ray guns.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Angela Christine posted:

Aliens can exist, but have their planets so far away that they will never conceivably get here. I doubt we'll ever see martians with ray guns.

Do aliens have angels and demons watching them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ravane posted:

Do aliens have angels and demons watching them?

They would probably have their own varieties of supernatural entities. Their own gods, their own monsters. Some planets might not have any at all. On some the dominant species may have successfully hunted everything supernatural to extinction. Who knows?