Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
I'll see what I can do about making an android apk for just the calibration temp, it's easy enough to read the current value and let you change it to whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Played with the Anova some more, with the container (20 qt stock pot with ~16 qts water) uncovered I can't get 4 gallons of water over 175F, circulator set to 185F (ambient temp is 74F). With foil on the top I can get it up to 195F with the unit set to 210F and the read out is erratic, reading 197-199F jumping around, similar to what Bob_McBob saw.

Edit:I did the same test with my polyscience, it made it up to 191F uncovered and 199.5 covered, the unit was set to 200F and read 200F (for the covered run).

I guess that is the difference 300 watts makes on the heater. The Anova is a nice unit for the money but you probably need to add 1-2F over what you are trying to get to for your food and if you are getting close to the rated capacity you are probably going to need to help it out with some insulation.

dotster fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 12, 2014

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
These temperature issues are kinda disheartening. Hopefully they didn't skimp on quality control in an effort to ship out units faster.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

These are pretty edge situations, in its defense. A completely open and uninsulated container is going to take an awful lot of energy to keep 4 gallons of water at a near boil.

As to the yogurt thing, that's just a circulation nightmare. A tiny volume of free water to circulate, compared to a huge volume of stationary jarred liquids - I don't doubt the temperature in that container varied quite a bit depending on the vagaries of the flow characteristics around the bottles.

Anyone with sense uses an insulated container anyway.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Gorman Thomas posted:

These temperature issues are kinda disheartening. Hopefully they didn't skimp on quality control in an effort to ship out units faster.

a foolish pianist posted:

These are pretty edge situations, in its defense. A completely open and uninsulated container is going to take an awful lot of energy to keep 4 gallons of water at a near boil.

As to the yogurt thing, that's just a circulation nightmare. A tiny volume of free water to circulate, compared to a huge volume of stationary jarred liquids - I don't doubt the temperature in that container varied quite a bit depending on the vagaries of the flow characteristics around the bottles.

Anyone with sense uses an insulated container anyway.

I was really just running it up to the limit to see what it would do. I really like the unit and the performance is pretty good, especially for $99. Not meant to dog it or say it isn't a nice piece of kit. I got it as a second unit so I could do two at once and have a travel setup that is smaller and easier to haul around. I will still use the polyscience as my primary unit or when I need to do larger volumes or higher temps, I do stuff all the time in the 170-185F range.

I think the last statement is probably better said this way, "Anyone with an Anova uses an insulated container anyway." :)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've never used an insulated container with my Polyscience.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I did a few more tests today. With the Anova sitting in stable room temperature water, the display offset is a very consistent 1.5°F high. When I turn on the circulator, the offset increases to about 3.5-4°F until it reaches the target, where it drops back down and hangs around 1.5-2°F. Basically there is a small offset I can't correct without an app, and a small lag while the bath heats. The latter is something Serious Eats noted about the Nomiku in their comparison review:

Serious Eats Sperglab posted:

The one odd thing I noticed was that during the actual heating phase of the process, the Nomiku consistently registered temperatures that were 3 to 4°F higher than the actual water temperature.

a foolish pianist posted:

It was 6 quarts of circulating water and 3 quarts of jarred milk. The milk temperature was only about 4-5°F below the water at all times. The bath temperature was completely even to within 0.2°F; the temperature was just much lower than what the Anova's display showed, from the normal 3-4°F offset and lag during heating to almost 10°F when it was behaving erratically near the target temperature. I've done the same thing with the original Anova, an SVS Demi, and a Sansaire, and none of them had an issues.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I still can't get over the lovely timer interface. It's even worse than what I described previously, because you can't actually enable the timer without unintentionally changing the temperature display unit. If you want to use the timer, you have to hold the power button for 8 seconds, hold the timer button for 3 seconds, set the time, press the timer button again, then hold the power button for another 3 seconds to reset the temperature unit. It's so poorly designed I really want to believe it's because of some sort of hardware programming limitation they couldn't work around rather than intentional stupidity.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Bob_McBob posted:

I still can't get over the lovely timer interface. It's even worse than what I described previously, because you can't actually enable the timer without unintentionally changing the temperature display unit. If you want to use the timer, you have to hold the power button for 8 seconds, hold the timer button for 3 seconds, set the time, press the timer button again, then hold the power button for another 3 seconds to reset the temperature unit. It's so poorly designed I really want to believe it's because of some sort of hardware programming limitation they couldn't work around rather than intentional stupidity.

I played with it after you mentioned it and kept turning F/C and bluetooth on or of. I didnt get any documentation with mine and have not bothered to go download them so that is my fault. My guess it was never really meant to be used and was only meant as a backup to the app.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Bob_McBob posted:

It was 6 quarts of circulating water and 3 quarts of jarred milk. The milk temperature was only about 4-5°F below the water at all times. The bath temperature was completely even to within 0.2°F; the temperature was just much lower than what the Anova's display showed, from the normal 3-4°F offset and lag during heating to almost 10°F when it was behaving erratically near the target temperature. I've done the same thing with the original Anova, an SVS Demi, and a Sansaire, and none of them had an issues.

Send them an email/ticket.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I'm pretty sure the erratic behaviour I noticed was a side effect of reaching the heating capacity of the unit and controller. Theoretically, that container with that amount of water at 85°C should be losing just under 0.7 kWh while uncovered. It's either a bit higher or the PID tuning isn't ideal; with plain water my Anova can't get the temperature above 85.2°C on the display with that setup (about 84°C in reality). Covering the container massively reduces heat loss to evaporation, so it has no problem maintaining a much higher temperature with the same amount of water. I just happened to choose exactly the right container, water depth, and temperature to make it misbehave without a cover.

TL;DR cover your container.

If you can set the display offset through the app interface, is there any chance there is a flag in the SDK to permanently enable the timer?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Bob_McBob posted:

If you can set the display offset through the app interface, is there any chance there is a flag in the SDK to permanently enable the timer?

I will check when I have a chance,, but I don't remember it being the case.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Well I have a cover and it seems like the Anova is reporting 150 when my Thermapen is reporting a 148.9

I can live with this for a while, but I guess I'll calibrate when the app comes out

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Today I learned that I'm a moron who can't count and that 72 hours from Thursday is Sunday, not Saturday as originally believed. Does anyone have first hand experience with 48 hour short ribs at 144*? My google searches suggest it'll still be awesome, but I don't know if it's worth leaving some in the bath til Sunday.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Mikey Purp posted:

Today I learned that I'm a moron who can't count and that 72 hours from Thursday is Sunday, not Saturday as originally believed. Does anyone have first hand experience with 48 hour short ribs at 144*? My google searches suggest it'll still be awesome, but I don't know if it's worth leaving some in the bath til Sunday.

That is how I make mine and they come out amazing.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Mikey Purp posted:

You will be fine. Douglas Baldwin claims significant diminishing returns beyond 24 hours.
I think the MC team did a lot of work with long cooks and still recommend 72 and 48 for some things, but your short ribs will be very good.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mikey Purp posted:

I do mine at 131.5 for 48 hours. I think 72 hours turn them into mush. You should be fine.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/short-ribs-time-and-temp

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I do mine at 131.5 for 48 hours. I think 72 hours turn them into mush. You should be fine.

I do mine right about the same as you. If he is doing them at 144F for 48hrs he is going to be fine, probably wont even have to chew unless he tries to eat the bone.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Would the raw garlic in the Serious Eats Food Lab recipe for Turkchetta be a problem? I know you are supposed to use garlic powder when sous vide, but since it only needs four hours, I wonder if it would be safe.

I think for Thanksgiving instead of smoking one turkey and frying one turkey, I'll turn the breasts of both into Turkchetta and smoke the rest of the parts...

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Kenji says in the comments for the original recipe that it does have a pretty strong raw garlic flavour when cooked sous vide. You can either pre-sautee the garlic or use garlic powder if that's a problem.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I think I've settled on getting a Sansaire but am curious, does its clip work reasonably well with Cambro containers?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anyone have preferred time/temp for beef cheeks?

Shalkore
Oct 11, 2007

Welcome to 2012!
Just got my Sansaire a few days ago. Love it already. Steaks and salmon filets are perfect every time. One question: Can I reuse standard ziploc bags if I wash them out after the initial use?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Three weeks into my Anova, I'm loving it. Surprisingly, the timing flexibility (either cook-chill or multiday cooks) to do most of dinner the night before is a huge factor in how much I like it. Also surprisingly, I like the off-brand vacuum bags a lot more than the brand name ones.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Shalkore posted:

Just got my Sansaire a few days ago. Love it already. Steaks and salmon filets are perfect every time. One question: Can I reuse standard ziploc bags if I wash them out after the initial use?
Yup, although they might deteriorate after a while from wear and tear. But that will probably take a long time.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 14, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Subjunctive posted:

Anyone have preferred time/temp for beef cheeks?

Several opinions here:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/144809-beef-cheeks-cooked-sous-vide/

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

mod sassinator posted:

I think I've settled on getting a Sansaire but am curious, does its clip work reasonably well with Cambro containers?

'

There appears to be a tilt on the 4.75 gallon container, but the good news is that it has a slightly wider base, which I assume was meant to help it stand on its own, a feature that seems to be unique amongst consumer circulators.

The 12 quart container has a thin rim, so I think it will clip on better on that, although it tapers. The Rubbermaid Carb-x containers have straighter sides, which might help
http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Commercial-Products-FG630200CLR-Container/dp/B004P1HTZY

Maybe Flash Gordon Ramsay can chime in about his Sansaire setup?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 14, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My Cambro has the lip cut off in a small section to accommodate the Polyscience clip, and that's where I clip the Sansaire too. So it works fine, but I can't speak to an unmodified Cambro.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

No matter how long I stare at your balls I can't figure out what's going on there. What up with your balls?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

'

There appears to be a tilt on the 4.75 gallon container, but the good news is that it has a slightly wider base, which I assume was meant to help it stand on its own, a feature that seems to be unique amongst consumer circulators.

The 12 quart container has a thin rim, so I think it will clip on better on that, although it tapers. The Rubbermaid Carb-x containers have straighter sides, which might help
http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Commercial-Products-FG630200CLR-Container/dp/B004P1HTZY

Maybe Flash Gordon Ramsay can chime in about his Sansaire setup?

I use a Cambro with Sansaire like pictured, and it works fine. I must know: Where did you get those balls???

See the way the clip is a little out from the lower wall of the container? I just put a rolled up kitchen towel there. Damps the vibration a bit and keeps it sturdy. I have the tilt as well, and it actually helps things circulate nicely in the bath. I also put a small wire rack in the bottom to make sure that the bags don't hit the bottom and get nice flow underneath.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Choadmaster posted:

No matter how long I stare at your balls I can't figure out what's going on there. What up with your balls?

It's a very elaborate replacement for a lid.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
http://www.amazon.com/Grant-Instruments-SV-PS20-Polypropylene-Spheres/dp/B00K52QPWA/

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Counterpoint (what everyone used before some realized you could charge 4x as much for sv specific balls): http://www.amazon.com/Practice-Ping-Pong-Balls-Tennis/dp/B000ILDDSM/

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

I use a Sansaire and a cambro and am very happy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Choadmaster posted:

These are not my balls, they are other people's balls. Some people like to use balls because they're hollow and therefore not bad at insulating, and they move around to fit whatever your container is, and you can push them aside to drop in or pull out food.

Ultimate Mango posted:

I use a Cambro with Sansaire like pictured, and it works fine. I must know: Where did you get those balls???

I do not have any balls of my own. Instead I have a lid, which I cut a hole out of. It costs $4.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Counterpoint (what everyone used before some realized you could charge 4x as much for sv specific balls): http://www.amazon.com/Practice-Ping-Pong-Balls-Tennis/dp/B000ILDDSM/

Well, there goes :10bux: I will have Balls AND a Lid!

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Thanks to everyone for confirming that my short ribs will be, in fact, delicious. Also thanks for posting that site, I have been reading through it all drat day. It's a gold mine!

E: I've just been using foil to cover my puddle and it hasn't seemed to be a problem in terms of keeping temperature loss or evaporation at a minimum. Any real reason that I should look into balls or a lid?

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 14, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Saran wrap/aluminum foil works just fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mikey Purp posted:

Thanks to everyone for confirming that my short ribs will be, in fact, delicious. Also thanks for posting that site, I have been reading through it all drat day. It's a gold mine!

E: I've just been using foil to cover my puddle and it hasn't seemed to be a problem in terms of keeping temperature loss or evaporation at a minimum. Any real reason that I should look into balls or a lid?

Theoretically the balls are a better insulator, and your ic therefore has to work less to keep the temperature up. Possible energy savings/device life benefits. Maybe.