Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

So scum don't know each other. What do we think is the advantage for them to balance this out?

I'm not sure it would be more vanilla mafia than normal as the gimmick would then become SKs who have to share a kill.

I'm thinking stronger powers for the mafia instead. This has the additional problem of town powers being devalued by role blockers, drivers etc. It could just be they get more shots of their powers.

The randomly selected night is interesting. Combined with not knowing each other it opens up the possibility of scum killing their own members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Dugong posted:

So scum don't know each other. What do we think is the advantage for them to balance this out?

I'm not sure it would be more vanilla mafia than normal as the gimmick would then become SKs who have to share a kill.

I'm thinking stronger powers for the mafia instead. This has the additional problem of town powers being devalued by role blockers, drivers etc. It could just be they get more shots of their powers.

The randomly selected night is interesting. Combined with not knowing each other it opens up the possibility of scum killing their own members.

More shots, better powers, greater numbers - it could be any or all of them, given they are blind not even the scum themselves would actually know.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'm talking about this game where Met lurked the entire time and then launched personal attacks against winvirus and me when we tried to get him to play. You could arguably excuse his play because he was scum, but then he double downed on it in end game by attacking us again for calling him on it.

ninja: read the whole page, not just the post I linked.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Ixtlilton posted:

I have heard Ernie say before that he only claims SK when he's not town. But then I read some more and he claimed it before he got his role pm. Why would you shoot Somberbrero? He's just chilling. Also, Monathin is town, thank me later. You could vig Met I don't remember him all that well has he posted? Apparently he used an incorrect gender pronoun and then was a dick about it. I'm also going to a hockey game tomorrow with some people and maybe it'll be okay but I'm worried our team sucks this year because all of Michigan's teams suck this year. We'll see.

Is anyone around?

Also, the psychadelic octopus is the only person who's pinged me at all for scum.

Ixtlilton posted:

In my brief skim of Met's play in a Star Trek game he didn't seem that hard to read or as bad as you guys are saying. Can I get linked to objectionable material?
In other news, this dude is scum. ##vote Ixt

These posts serve no purpose but try to look like they're helpful.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

merk posted:

I'm talking about this game where Met lurked the entire time and then launched personal attacks against winvirus and me when we tried to get him to play. You could arguably excuse his play because he was scum, but then he double downed on it in end game by attacking us again for calling him on it.

ninja: read the whole page, not just the post I linked.

nobody cares

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Dugong posted:

These kinds of questions are incredibly unhelpful. The only people who would know are scum and they're not going to mess up. Town might (and often does in these situations) reveal their roles or other private knowledge to the scum in trying to "figure it out."

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

HiipFire posted:

nobody cares

I care.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
Ok let me rephrase,
this is a loving mafia game and I'm not interested in your drama.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

HiipFire posted:

Ok let me rephrase,
this is a loving mafia game and I'm not interested in your drama.

Except this isn't just drama. If someone is going to be a lurker or a distraction to town through their behaviour then best to get rid of them as soon as possible. I don't know if Met is scum, but I know that the game will be a higher quality without him in it.

##vote Met

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
See while I don't disagree at all in theory, I still feel like we should be trying to actually hunt scum.

Removing worthless, obnoxious, or toxic players is the job of vigilantes (and good-hearted scum), not the town.

Sidebar but I literally just realized how often I split infinitives and now it's my new project to stop STARTING NEXT POST.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

EccoRaven posted:

Removing worthless, obnoxious, or toxic players is the job of vigilantes (and good-hearted scum), not the town.

Which is why my comments were appropriate in the vigilante discussion.

What do you think of Ixt?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Lifehack - Next time you see something you don't care about don't make the effort to comment on it as it invites further responses on the topic.

I don't like the way Hiipfire is about and posting but exclusively about how he wants other people to stop talking about things he's not interested in rather than bringing up stuff that he thinks is worth discussing/doing anything useful ##vote HiipFire

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

merk posted:

Which is why my comments were appropriate in the vigilante discussion.

What do you think of Ixt?

The second quote you posted bothered me when I first read it, since I don't think anyone was actually arguing Met being a shitheel actually makes him scum in this game; it felt like Ixt was just browsing the thread very casually and wanted to appear helpful. I confess though that I am disinclined vote for him day 1 since he helped me out in a pinch back in September without complaining once.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Puntification posted:

I don't like the way Hiipfire is about and posting but exclusively about how he wants other people to stop talking about things he's not interested in rather than bringing up stuff that he thinks is worth discussing/doing anything useful ##vote HiipFire
I haven't read through all the posts yet so I'm not comfortable posting any cases/hunches.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I've kept up to date on the thread and have read all the poets thus far, but any hunches I have are kept close to my chest for now.

I knew Ecco was bluffing you all, though. :colbert:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Hark, I am Krak, son of Kra, son of Ra. Kra has gone to join our ancestors in Terrordon's gullet, such is a position of honor as he shall become one with the mighty soul of Terrordon. Such kindness is undeserved, as Terrordon was well displeased by news that some found His "gimmick" uninteresting. As all know, Terrordon is the biggest monster, and as such the most interesting.

merk posted:

In other news, this dude is scum. ##vote Ixt

These posts serve no purpose but try to look like they're helpful.

The Beast's cries for blood please Terrordon. Ixtlilton is obviously small, speaks Terrordon. Terrordon has not smashed an Aztec for seasons beyond seasons, but he remembers it fondly. Small beings should concern themselves with suggestions as to who Terrordon should next squish, not whinge about who should not be squished. Such pleas are futile, as the children often say "All unworthy souls shall be smashed in time." Terrordon itches to smash Met beneath his incomprehensible bulk, but Terrordon is ancient beyond knowing and has learned to pace His smashing. ##vote Ixtlilton

EccoRaven posted:

See while I don't disagree at all in theory, I still feel like we should be trying to actually hunt scum.

Sidebar but I literally just realized how often I split infinitives and now it's my new project to stop STARTING NEXT POST.

Terrordon spits on your nattering, bird. His blessed expectorant is currently dissolving the schoolhouse. Terrordon knows that such behavior is anti-monster, regardless of the monster's intention.

EccoRaven posted:

I've still got a sinking feeling about Somber tbh.

Terrordon has instructed me to suggest that such a sinking feeling is common when comparing one's insignificance to that which is the majesty of Terrordon.

Dr. Hurt posted:

Asiina don't be ablist. Terrodon is so big. Imagine him trying to type a keyboard. you'd be out one keyboard! Keyboards are expensive! Terrordon has to have his followers write for him so we can understand what he's saying. Would you rather he lurk? Because I sure wouldn't!

Such discrimination is unfortunately not beyond the experience of even one as colossal as Terrordon. He now sheds a single tear to show strength in adversity. roars mightily in anger that one might treat Terrordon with anything less than the dignity that His stature demands.

Dr. Hurt posted:

Also I am just gonna go out on a limb and guess that Terrordon is BP or something and that's why he's assuming this larger than life presence. Well either that or Terrordon is a VT and he's just having a blast with his great name.

Hah! Even I, Krak, herald of Terrordon laugh at this. Terrordon has proof against missiles fired by rude and hateful soldiers, so of course He has proof against bullets. Terrordon's wrath is matched only by his generosity, He has instructed me to offer you a boon for amusing Him so. This is an honor few have ever been allowed, cherish your day Armored Arachnid.

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
what's the point of saying you have secret hunches?

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009

Monathin posted:

I've kept up to date on the thread and have read all the poets thus far, but any hunches I have are kept close to my chest for now.

I knew Ecco was bluffing you all, though. :colbert:

referring to the hunches in this post

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Ixts posts sound more like a person wanting to direct discussion than a person offering up their opinions.

##vote ixt

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Good morning everyone. I still haven't developed particularly strong feelings about most folks in here, but that's okay, the day is still young. I think Somber is funny, though, and merk is smart.

I also think that Met is scummy IRL if not in-game. Seriously, is it that much work to apologize when you use the wrong pronoun and correct your behavior? For real man, be a decent human being for a change.

Okay, that was my story, kthnxbye.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I came to chill out for a bit in my first game in months and chatting with people makes me scum, got it.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Also met is a lovely person, asiina is town because it would be too uncharacteristic of scum to push a cuddle on met with no reasoning, merk is probably town, ecco was obviously lying because that role would never exist in a cpig game and also there was no n0

Can someone quote for me the part of the op that says scum don't know each other?

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

30 seconds, Ernest.

CapitalistPig posted:

Scum will NOT know who the other scum are and cannot talk to each other out of thread, The scum kill will consist of all members of the scumteam pming me a kill choice each night, the majority will win, in the event of no majority I will rng the kill from the choices presented.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Ixtlilton posted:

I came to chill out for a bit in my first game in months and chatting with people makes me scum, got it.

I feel really bad because I just came out from my secret retirement for this game too and I really didn't want to target you but you are scummy :(

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Ernie. posted:

I feel really bad because I just came out from my secret retirement for this game too and I really didn't want to target you but you are scummy :(

No I'm not, Ernie.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

And if you actually felt bad you wouldn't do it. I'm like 98% certain you've held off of targetting players D1 of large games for reasons before.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

So am I to understand that there no trackers or watchers in the game? Game balance would say that there can't be. By the responses to eccos posting it seems like there aren't (m)any vigilantes either. Cops wouldn't work because how can they function proper. What roles would even go into the game?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Ixtlilton posted:

And if you actually felt bad you wouldn't do it. I'm like 98% certain you've held off of targetting players D1 of large games for reasons before.

I'm currently debating unvoting tbh.

Debating

Debating

Debated

##unvote

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Well, Ecco has failed us. It's time for Meinberg to shine.

You can just call me a Social Justice... Vigilante.

##shoot Met

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I kind of want to act scummy so the scum team thinks I'm scum and avoids nightkilling me.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Also, how is directing discussion towards vodka and stuff people posted for the hour or so I was there scummy?

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009

Ernie. posted:

Also met is a lovely person, asiina is town because it would be too uncharacteristic of scum to push a cuddle on met with no reasoning, merk is probably town, ecco was obviously lying because that role would never exist in a cpig game and also there was no n0

Can someone quote for me the part of the op that says scum don't know each other?

reading the game enough to have opinions on posters and while conveniently not reading the op and dropping something that makes it seem like he couldn't possibly be scum

no sir i don't like it, not one bit
##vote Ernie.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Meinberg posted:

Well, Ecco has failed us. It's time for Meinberg to shine.

You can just call me a Social Justice... Vigilante.

##shoot Met

Meinberg for President 2016

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Ernie. (2): EccoRaven, The Science of Suck
Poison Mushroom (2): AtrociousToaster, Poison Mushroom
Ixtlilton (2): merk, Somberbrero, Ernie., Ernie.
Met (2): Met, Asiina
Puntification (1): EXAKT Science, EXAKT Science, EXAKT Science, AtrociousToaster, AtrociousToaster
HiipFire (1): Puntification
Somberbrero (0): Puntification, Puntification, The Science of Suck, The Science of Suck
EXAKT Science (0): Puntification, Poison Mushroom, Puntification, Poison Mushroom
EccoRaven (0): Asiina, Asiina
AtrociousToaster (0): Puntification, Puntification

Not Voting (13): bowmore, Dr. Hurt, Dugong, Ernie., fiery_valkyrie, HiipFire, Ixtlilton, Mad Rancher, Meinberg, Monathin, Motley, Opopanax, Tremendous Taste

With 23 alive, it's 12 votes to lynch. The current deadline is November 17th, 2014 at midnight EST -- that's in about 2 days, 11 hours.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames
Hold up ya'll. Flip incoming.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Ixtlilton posted:

Also, how is directing discussion towards vodka and stuff people posted for the hour or so I was there scummy?

Not the vodka

Your opening statement of what I'd do vs what I wouldn't do. It didn't read to me like an organic thing ixt would say while scum hunting. More like a thing ixt would say if ixt wanted to sound like ixt scum hunting.

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
also lol meinberg

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I love you, Meinberg.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

The Science of Suck posted:

reading the game enough to have opinions on posters and while conveniently not reading the op and dropping something that makes it seem like he couldn't possibly be scum

no sir i don't like it, not one bit
##vote Ernie.

Did you miss the post I made that gives away that I think the op is lying because otherwise the game can't be balanced classically or reasonably?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009

Ernie. posted:

Did you miss the post I made that gives away that I think the op is lying because otherwise the game can't be balanced classically or reasonably?

i probably just ignored it because i don't care about setup speculation and also it speaks nothing to my point about you paying attention to one part of the game while seemingly not another part that conveniently lets you townslip

• Locked thread