Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
I figured out my camera focus issues last night. It wasn't that the focal length needed to be longer, it actually needed to be shorter. I took the t-adapter off and attached the camera t-ring directly to the 2" threaded eyepiece on the telescope and was able to get it to focus. All of my lenses/Barlow 2x/filters are 1.25", unfortunately...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Saturn is setting too early into twilight to be visible as of the 25th, so if you want to take one last look at it you might want to in the next day or two. Of course it'll be visible again really early in the morning as of late November or so, but early mornings aren't really my thing...

Vladimir Poutine fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 21, 2014

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Man, this sunspot group is huge. Like, almost terrfiyingly big. Crackling with solar flares today, too. I looked at it for a few minutes through my telescope, but didn't get lucky enough to see a white-light flare.

Last one I can remember being this big was the one in 2003 that made the Halloween auroras. Maybe going for a repeat of the spooky red and green auroras this year?

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Eclipse pics!

Had *just* the right amount of clouds for this one, I think.

Eclipse by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Horned Sunset by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Venusian Weasel posted:

Eclipse pics!

Had *just* the right amount of clouds for this one, I think.

Horned Sunset by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

All three are awesome, but that first one is just :vince:

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
I'm super excited. Just moved to upstate NY and have a terrific night sky without any light pollution. I also just purchased my first mount (a lightly used Orion Atlas) which showed up yesterday. Gonna set it up this weekend and mount my Canon 400mm on the baby. Still sussing out some of the details (how to operate it, how to actually mount the DSLR, etc) but those should be minor hiccups.

SO EXCITED :dance:

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

polyfractal posted:

I'm super excited. Just moved to upstate NY and have a terrific night sky without any light pollution. I also just purchased my first mount (a lightly used Orion Atlas) which showed up yesterday. Gonna set it up this weekend and mount my Canon 400mm on the baby. Still sussing out some of the details (how to operate it, how to actually mount the DSLR, etc) but those should be minor hiccups.

SO EXCITED :dance:

Sweet, what are you planning to get pictures of?

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

Venusian Weasel posted:

Sweet, what are you planning to get pictures of?

Was planning to image some of the higher magnitude, "beginner" objects like Andromeda, Triangulum, M81/M82, and the North American Nebula. Luneshot also posted a nice list of messier objects a few pages back that I'm planning on working through over the next few months :)

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Most of my observing has been done with a basic 8" dob, so forgive me if any of this sounds dumb since I don't know much about all the fancy computerized scopes out there. Our club has an observatory a little bit out of the city, but it hasn't gotten a lot of use due to the membership generally being composed of rich greybeards with their own private observatories under darker skies. We're starting to attract new blood now, and while there's quite a bit of light pollution to the north, it's still a decent site for beginning observers during a new moon. We took my partner's high-school astronomy class out there this weekend, and they had a blast.

We currently have a 12" LX200 Classic out there, and I'm wondering what kind of options there are for modernization. Being able to control the scope with personal devices would be pretty neat, and since it gets down to -30C in the winter, it'd be awesome if we could hook it up to the computer we have in the adjacent warm room. Would it really be as simple as getting one of these with the accompanying software to get the ability to link up computers, tablets and the like for control, or am I missing something really obvious? I know that getting actual imaging to a device in the warm room will be considerably more complicated and expensive, but just how bad are we talking for something like that?

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

polyfractal posted:

Was planning to image some of the higher magnitude, "beginner" objects like Andromeda, Triangulum, M81/M82, and the North American Nebula. Luneshot also posted a nice list of messier objects a few pages back that I'm planning on working through over the next few months :)

Well, I tried to do some astrophotography over the weekend :v:

Been very cloudy here, but there was a break of clear skies last night. I setup all the equipment, which took a lot longer than I expected. Started to do a three-star alignment and found my camera pointing in the entirely wrong direction. Dug out the instructions and re-positioned everything, started to align again....and clouds had rolled in. Also lots of dew, so apparently I need to work on a dew warmer system too.

Sooo, no images, but it was a good learning experience. Next time should setup a lot easier now that I know how all the components work.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
I've been having some fun (and frustration) setting up my new mount for tracking. More than likely my polar alignment is off, as the mount finds stars all right but even exposures at 10sec show trails/blur towards the horizon. I've gotta figure out how to use Celestron's "All Star" polar alignment tool, that might help.

I did find out that I'm able to image Andromeda from my house, even with all of the light pollution. I'm really excited for later this winter when I can take the telescope up north. If I figure out the tracking issues, I'll definitely have pictures to post.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Ran outside to try and catch the ISS fly by earlier by there were a bunch of clouds in the way :argh:, I did manage to find Cosmos 1603 which I guess is an old soviet spy satellite. These Bushnell 10x50's are great.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
What's the best resource to find out when the ISS is going to be visible from certain locations?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Golden-i posted:

What's the best resource to find out when the ISS is going to be visible from certain locations?

I signed up for the Nasa Spot the Station emails.
http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

WhatsInaMojito
Dec 20, 2011

Golden-i posted:

I just downloaded the ISS spotter app. It seems to work really well.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

My first legit astrophoto! M42 Orion Nebula, because it was an easy target and I was having difficulties with my mount. 55x20s lights, 10x20s darks. Canon 7D + 400mm f/5.6 on an Orion Atlas.

I'm already cringing at tons of things in the image, and can see where I made all sorts of mistakes during the capture and processing, but I'm pretty happy for a first try. This hobby is going to be the death of my free time I'm afraid.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

polyfractal posted:

My first legit astrophoto! M42 Orion Nebula, because it was an easy target and I was having difficulties with my mount. 55x20s lights, 10x20s darks. Canon 7D + 400mm f/5.6 on an Orion Atlas.

I'm already cringing at tons of things in the image, and can see where I made all sorts of mistakes during the capture and processing, but I'm pretty happy for a first try. This hobby is going to be the death of my free time I'm afraid.

Aside from the missed focus, it looks really good. Colors seem accurate for the most part (maybe a touch too red) and you've done a fine job capturing some of the fainter nebulosity. Don't be so down on yourself.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man I've been all sorts of interested in radio astronomy lately and I can't really explain why. I'm probably not going to do anything serious, but it looks like there are lots of things you can do to have some fun observing the sun and satellites and things like that. Part of me wants to build a stationary rig but there's no chance I'm waiting ten years to compile an image.

Anyone mess around with anything like this? I'm going through the SARA group mail archives and just being all :allears: in the most nerdy way possible.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

That's how it starts. It's only a matter of time before you start wearing a tinfoil hat to keep the alien signals out of your brain and start collecting your own pee in mason jars.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
I finally got my telescope out to grab a random shot of the moon last weekend. Very happy with how it turned out, though it's not quite as crisp as I wanted it to be - possibly because I forgot to take the strap off the camera and it was windy out. D'oh.

This was with my Canon T3i strapped straight to the 2" eyepiece adapter, that was the only way to make the focal length short enough to actually focus the shot. Now my question is, what's the best way to combine this with camera/telescope lenses to increase the magnification?

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

Venusian Weasel posted:

Aside from the missed focus, it looks really good. Colors seem accurate for the most part (maybe a touch too red) and you've done a fine job capturing some of the fainter nebulosity. Don't be so down on yourself.

Thanks. It's just little things (like the focus for instance) which made me go :doh:

Definitely discovered that it is easy to go overboard with processing the images. The image was overwhelmingly blue, and I knew M42 had a red cast in pictures (and greenish by eye), so I set about tweaking. That quickly devolved into monstrosities. Had more than my share of ctrl-z and new previews to play inside

I also just realized that my mount has a polar scope built in (:doh: again), so next time alignment should be a lot more accurate and I'm going to try longer subs.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Hey folks, I'm getting some cool space posters printed for my brother as a gift. Specifically, loving huge cool space posters (180 x 60cm):

(the original is 10630x3543 res)

I think I'm going to get it printed on a quality matt paper as it just won't show up on a glossy. But realistically I need to brighten it up as well. The problem with this is obviously that (a)it can start to look washed-out and (b)increasing brightness/constrast/saturation increased the noise/film grain dramatically.

I have very little experience editing night photos like this and everything I try seems to make it worse, even after doing various de-noising things. Does anyone have any tips for image adjustment?

e: for reference this is what the (ridiculously helpful) dudes at posterjack came up with, the grain/noise just pops when you up the brightness etc.:

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 6, 2014

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
why not just increase highlights and white levels? even if you need to use masks.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

El Grillo posted:

Hey folks, I'm getting some cool space posters printed for my brother as a gift. Specifically, loving huge cool space posters (180 x 60cm):

(the original is 10630x3543 res)

I think I'm going to get it printed on a quality matt paper as it just won't show up on a glossy. But realistically I need to brighten it up as well. The problem with this is obviously that (a)it can start to look washed-out and (b)increasing brightness/constrast/saturation increased the noise/film grain dramatically.

I have very little experience editing night photos like this and everything I try seems to make it worse, even after doing various de-noising things. Does anyone have any tips for image adjustment?

e: for reference this is what the (ridiculously helpful) dudes at posterjack came up with, the grain/noise just pops when you up the brightness etc.:

The dynamic range of printed paper is a lot less than your computer screen. The best thing to do is to try some print tests.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

autism chariot posted:

It's only a matter of time before you start wearing a tinfoil hat to keep the alien signals out of your brain
http://web.archive.org/web/20100708230258/http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So astro-goons, what are the thoughts of the Meade LX-90 series? 12" ACF in particular?

I can score one locally that has literally been out of the box once and the owner is trying to dump. I can probably get it for over $1K off retail (plus also taxes of course).

I do have an 8" (or is it 10"?) Chinese dob but I virtually never use it. The length of tube makes it a PITA to transport. The mount pretty much rules out astrophotography too which really appeals to me, so I must admit I'm thinking of it.

The computerized mount seems decent too from what I've read. Thoughts?

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

I've got an 8" version of those I got secondhand about 10 years ago, from an astrophotographer that had it for a couple years. The optics are pretty good on it (no
noticeable defects) and the computer system was fine, if a little clunky. Worked fine until the screen popped a capacitor a couple years ago - the motorized controls still work, but I can't see the settings anymore.

It's a solid scope, and if you can get a nearly new one well under retail I'd definitely go for it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks!

Since you have one, is the stock mount good enough for astrophotography or do you need to buy a "wedge" mount that I've also seen for them?

Am I shooting myself in the foot considering a 12" mirror? I'm wondering how much of a chore it will be taking it out.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

slidebite posted:

Thanks!

Since you have one, is the stock mount good enough for astrophotography or do you need to buy a "wedge" mount that I've also seen for them?

Am I shooting myself in the foot considering a 12" mirror? I'm wondering how much of a chore it will be taking it out.

I'm not sure, I never got around to using mine for deep space astrophotography. Seems like it worked for the guy I got it from, though.

I'd assume the 12" model will be fairly heavy (~40 lbs) though. I can carry my 8" around easily enough but I prefer to haul it out onto my driveway with a garden wagon before setting it up.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

slidebite posted:

Thanks!

If you're doing anything other than shooting the moon you're going to want the wedge, that way it can function as an equatorial. Otherwise the alt-az movements will gently caress up your long exposures.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks. Still on the fence, it's a borderline impulse purchase but as 12" for <$2K Canadian is pretty tempting. :ohdear:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I haven't yet decided on on the scope, but by complete coincidence someone else just put an LX200 12" in mint shape for $200 less asking price than the LX90.

I assume that's the no brainer way to go?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
So I just bought this, and I figured you nerds would want to know it exists too.

http://teespring.com/moneytelescope

You're welcome.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

AstroZamboni posted:

So I just bought this, and I figured you nerds would want to know it exists too.

http://teespring.com/moneytelescope

You're welcome.

Finally, a shirt that perfectly encapsulates my financial philosophy. Bought it immediately.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

It also comes in a hoodie version for those cold nights at the eyepiece. I'm considering buying that one too.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I just ordered a new telescope, I'm pretty psyched.

I currently have a Celestron NexStar 114GT and while it's cool and I can see poo poo with it, it's definitely got some shortcomings. Celestron lists this as a 1000mm focal length scope, but the one that I got has a sticker claiming 500mm focal length. I believe for a while celestron was including a 2x barlow built in, which would get you up to that 1000mm figure. I bought mine from Best Buy and it does not have one built in. It makes for some pretty poor viewing. I imagine with the built in barlow it would still be sub-par. The mount it's on is also very wobbly and flimsy, and the focuser is also notchy and crappy, even after tweaking it with some bike grease.

I ordered a Celestron NexStar 4SE and while it's a slightly smaller aperture the focal length is more than double. The mount it comes with is also much better, it's more sturdy and has a wedge function for using it as an equatorial for longer exposure photos. It's also got a dedicated rear thread for putting my DSLR with T adapter in the back. I'm not going to get mind-blowing stuff with this by any means but it looks like (on paper anyway) that it's going to be much better than my current scope and it will probably see more use because I'll be seeing stuff better.

Since it uses 1.25" eyepieces all of the eyepieces I already have should work fine, and it uses the same Celestron hand control software so I already know the quirks of using it.

Hoping the wife also gets me a Celestron NexImage 5 solar system imager for Christmas.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 17, 2014

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Thought maybe this would be good to share for smart phone picture taking.
http://eyesonthesky.com/DIYImprovements/5cameraphonebracket.aspx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQwRnwwNQTA

My attempts to use webcams in my scope haven't worked too well, so maybe I'll try something like this to put my phone on my mount.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

oh god what have we done

I blame slidebite for making me look at Kijiji. Got it from a dude who's moving to a really light polluted place in the states. I don't think it was a killer deal ($1.9k Canadian with an eyepiece and filter kit, a DSLR adapter and one of those webcam dealies for planetary photography), but the cheapest I've ever seen in our city, and I doubt something like this will come again any time soon.

The guy who checked it before us brought his wife, who very much disapproved of its size. My partner there teaches physics and astronomy, however, so absolutely nothing to worry about. God, I love her. Can't wait to surprise her extracurricular astronomy club with it the next time we head out.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Great score! Is that the 8 or the 9.25? The length of the scope makes it look like it might be the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Hah, it's actually the 11" version. It's a beast to carry, but not unmanageably so, especially once I start going back to the gym. Definitely going to consider building a cart for it, though.