Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

CuwiKhons posted:

Ultimately it's one of those things you just kind of have to let go because comics don't really work without recurring villains. How popular are Punisher comics compared to just about any other hero?

Not a good comparison, since that comic has an extremely important recurring villain who shows up in every issue.

No, I'm not sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Oh, man, I will never get tired of Batman being a jerk in these games to people who don't even deserve it. :allears:

Political Prisoner: What did you do to get in here?
Batman: You don't want to know. :mad:

Jack Ryder: I'm Jack Ryder.
Batman: The TV Reporter?
Jack Ryder: Yeah. You a fan?
Batman: No. :mad:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

my dad posted:

Not a good comparison, since that comic has an extremely important recurring villain who shows up in every issue.

No, I'm not sorry.

Literally the only comic scene Punisher was in that was worth a poo poo was when he got punched the gently caress out by twelve year old Molly Hayes :allears:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh, man, I will never get tired of Batman being a jerk in these games to people who don't even deserve it. :allears:

I think the only people he is nice to are Alfred and Oracle.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Punisher MAX did a really great job (until like the last half of the series when it didn't) of having pretty good villains consistently despite the fact that The Punisher murdered all of them brutally by the end of every arc.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

CuwiKhons posted:

Literally the only comic scene Punisher was in that was worth a poo poo was when he got punched the gently caress out by twelve year old Molly Hayes :allears:

Today's War Journal: 'xxxxx'

Molly Hayes will never not be adorable.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

My favorite is him wrecking Riddler's goons after they give him the info he wants and beg for mercy.

2nd favorite bit: The way Riddler's goons just beam the information into Batman's head in the 2 seconds between them agreeing to talk and Bats clocking them.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

TwoPair posted:

My favorite is him wrecking Riddler's goons after they give him the info he wants and beg for mercy.

2nd favorite bit: The way Riddler's goons just beam the information into Batman's head in the 2 seconds between them agreeing to talk and Bats clocking them.

The best part of that is how polite he is before he knocks them out.

Thug: I'll tell you everything I know, don't hurt me!
Batman: Thank you. 'PUNCH'

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Hellioning posted:

The best part of that is how polite he is before he knocks them out.

Thug: I'll tell you everything I know, don't hurt me!
Batman: Thank you. 'PUNCH'

This goes back to the idea that he really is being kind by waiting until all his buddies are out cold to interrogate them- not knocking them out afterward would turn out poorly for them once their buddies caught up with them.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The richest man in Gotham is whoever gets to fix all the crushed orbitals of the goons who fight Batman

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

apostateCourier posted:

This goes back to the idea that he really is being kind by waiting until all his buddies are out cold to interrogate them- not knocking them out afterward would turn out poorly for them once their buddies caught up with them.
I mean, everyone else in the group is probably even worse off. At least one of the guys probably has a shattered femur. A mild concussion is a kindness.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The guy with the cut off face only reminds me of one thing.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Fabricated posted:

The richest man in Gotham is whoever gets to fix all the crushed orbitals of the goons who fight Batman

Those guys are all dead. They've been left in place we know is a) freezing, b) lacking in medical support, and c) full of psychopathic serial killers. Those guys left unconscious in the street with the snapped bones and dislocated arms haven't got much chance of surviving the night.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I know this would be some time off from now, Is the DLC campaign on the to-do list?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It is according to the OP. It isn't very good, though.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

goatface posted:

Those guys are all dead. They've been left in place we know is a) freezing, b) lacking in medical support, and c) full of psychopathic serial killers. Those guys left unconscious in the street with the snapped bones and dislocated arms haven't got much chance of surviving the night.

But hey, technically Batman didn't kill them, right?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Thesaya posted:

But hey, technically Batman didn't kill them, right?

What about the guys he threw off the roof of a three story building?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Night10194 posted:

Batman didn't kill them.

-Gravity- did.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Batman doesn't kill people. Other people kill people.

But those murdered people are first beaten into a pulp by Batman so that killing them is much easier. :shepface:

Night10194 posted:

Unlike in Asylum, you can't throw people off buildings in this game. So anytime anyone goes over, they're either on a rope or it's a glitch happening.

Kurieg posted:

There's an episode of justice league where Flash is dangling someone off a building, and he goes "You wouldn't do it, you're not Batman."

So flash drops him, then casually jogs down the side of the building interrogating him before catching him at the bottom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOOOVjdpaNY

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 14, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Night10194 posted:

They're hanging by there ankles from rope he latched to the building edge.

I'm serious, you can see it after they're thrown off.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
There's an episode of justice league where Flash is dangling someone off a building, and he goes "You wouldn't do it, you're not Batman."

So flash drops him, then casually jogs down the side of the building interrogating him before catching him at the bottom.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Kurieg posted:

:psyduck:
Comic book mooks, but you'd think that by now word would spread that the capes are always bluffing, and if you call the bluff you'll wish it wasn't a bluff because they pull something far scarier.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Honestly, when you're up against people like the Justice League, why even get into "normal" crime at all? If you aren't a super genius or martial arts prodigy or radioactive in some way, you really can't measure up. You'd think criminals would see that as a barrier to entry, but somehow, they don't.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

No, but see, maybe these bullets will work on Superman someday at the same time Wonder Woman leaves her bracelets at home and the Flash sprains his ankle. :shepface:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

In the defense of the ones going after batman, if he didn't have plot immunity he'd be as vulnerable to 5 million guns as the next guy.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

CuwiKhons posted:

There was also a comic where Joker actually was put on death row, but Batman stopped the execution by proving that he didn't actually commit the crime that landed him there and they had to put him back in the Asylum :v:

Ultimately it's one of those things you just kind of have to let go because comics don't really work without recurring villains. How popular are Punisher comics compared to just about any other hero?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

...Goddammit, Batman.

Yeah, at the start of the story he got a lot of grief from both Jim Gordon and Oracle, because it seemed he couldn't just let the Joker have the punishment he deserved. Even the Joker was loving with him, and relishing the attention he got as the most infamous Death Row immate in Gotham.

And Batman had to be proven right when he found the real culprit, and saved Joker in the nick of time. He justified it by saying that now the Joker owes his life to him, and that would be a harsher punishment.

If Batman really wanted to destroy the Joker, all he would have to do is quit. In Going Sane, Joker becomes a boring, normal dude after he believes he killed Batman in an explosion. He only goes insane again after reading in a newspaper that Batman is back.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kal-L posted:

And Batman had to be proven right when he found the real culprit, and saved Joker in the nick of time. He justified it by saying that now the Joker owes his life to him, and that would be a harsher punishment.

That... makes no sense. Joker clearly doesn't care about his life. The only thing he lives for is killing people to mess with Batman. :psyduck:

I could see if he said that to a proud guy like Penguin or a death seeker like Deadshot, but that makes no sense towards Joker.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That... makes no sense. Joker clearly doesn't care about his life. The only thing he lives for is killing people to mess with Batman. :psyduck:

I could see if he said that to a proud guy like Penguin or a death seeker like Deadshot, but that makes no sense towards Joker.

Help, what are multiple writers who don't understand the Joker or Batman? After all, in one of the comics Arkham Asylum is based on Joker goes out of his way to be a dick to the regular mob boss who pled insanity to get into Arkham rather than jail because "Yeah I kill people but I never stole some kids college money at the same time."

They always go above and beyond to explain why Joker isn't dead, like when they showed the Specter the inside of his mind and that deep down, even HE has a bit of decency, buried under all the insanity.

It's that writers don't get that you can't make a villain a mass murderer and have the heroes look REALLY STUPID when he gets to live and break out and do it all again.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Onmi posted:

"Yeah I kill people but I never stole some kids college money at the same time."

Was this comic written by Seth McFarlane? Because I swear I've heard that in Family Guy back when I used to watch it. :psyduck:

I also feel that I'm obliged to share this.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Was this comic written by Seth McFarlane? Because I swear I've heard that in Family Guy back when I used to watch it. :psyduck:

History's greatest monster.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

And that's terrible.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

John Liver posted:

Honestly, when you're up against people like the Justice League, why even get into "normal" crime at all? If you aren't a super genius or martial arts prodigy or radioactive in some way, you really can't measure up. You'd think criminals would see that as a barrier to entry, but somehow, they don't.

To be fair, I don't think Batman, as a dude, really stops that much crime in the grand scheme of themes. Other than super-criminals, most of the standard criminals in Gotham probably will never encounter him ever. A smart thug would just sort of throw up their hands if Batman caught them, though. Six months for petty theft is a lot better than the recovery time of a spiral fracture.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

And that little boy will one day grow up to become Batman.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I remember that coloring book. Joker also stole a petition and a registration book, just to make people cry.

Not really. All the stolen documents had signatures, which Joker was forging to sign checks and contracts. Joker wasn't being a big meanie, he was engaging in identity theft.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Gothsheep posted:

To be fair, I don't think Batman, as a dude, really stops that much crime in the grand scheme of themes. Other than super-criminals, most of the standard criminals in Gotham probably will never encounter him ever. A smart thug would just sort of throw up their hands if Batman caught them, though. Six months for petty theft is a lot better than the recovery time of a spiral fracture.

But remember, in comic-book-land, all thugs are overaggressive morons.

"Yeah we'll totally be the ones to take down the Batman! And then-" *takes a baterang to the head*

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ViggyNash posted:

But remember, in comic-book-land, all thugs are overaggressive morons.

"Yeah we'll totally be the ones to take down the Batman! And then-" *takes a baterang to the head*

This is true of thugs in real life though.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
So now is the time when the Arkham City stories start taking off so I'm still gonna get a little totally sidetracked. We do make it inside the museum though!

One Step Forward, One Step Back/Polsy - Interview tape: Two-Face 5

Arkham City Stories: Seismic Disturbances, The Mad Hatter (1), The Cobblepot Feud (1), Huge Strange's Storage Vault, Poisonous Intent (1), Strange Goings On, Clayface, Close Arkham City, Catwoman and Two-Face (1), Maxie Zeus

Campaign Challenge: Search and Destroy/Polsy with Nightwing

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 16, 2014

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
It's a neat detail how Strange seems genuinely dismayed when Two-Face catches the coin.

Onmi posted:

Help, what are multiple writers who don't understand the Joker or Batman? After all, in one of the comics Arkham Asylum is based on Joker goes out of his way to be a dick to the regular mob boss who pled insanity to get into Arkham rather than jail because "Yeah I kill people but I never stole some kids college money at the same time."

Not even a mob boss, just a white collar investor who got caught embezzling several million bucks from pension funds and tried pleading insanity in front of a judge with a vicious sense of irony. Guy hadn't actually committed any crime except fraud. And hence the Arkham freakshow ended up with another minor permanent member, the Great White Shark.

Magni fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 16, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
After seeing your impressive performances in the challenge rooms so far, and knowing that you're not going to upload every single permutation (though the stealth rooms/campaigns are different between characters), I figure you might as well challenge yourself. Can you do the last level of stealth campaign, and that one DLC combat room, as catwoman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Something you mentioned in this video, and something that will particularly come up when you get around to that next hostage room, was that Riddler challenge that was like a carnival game. In one of his varying backstories (none of the Rogues have histories that haven't been changed up at some point), Edward spent some time after high school working as a carnival barker, learning the different games and how the carnivals rig them. I'm not sure if Rocksteady did it on purpose or not, but quite a lot of the Riddler trophies in this game are unlocked through what feels very strongly like carnival games. It's sort of an incongruous bit of whimsy from a character who is otherwise portrayed in game as angry and violent.

• Locked thread