Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

psydude posted:

Anyone ever bring lunch to work but still went out for food as an excuse to get the gently caress away from the office? This is one of those days

I do that every day. I tupperware my boring rear end chicken breast and broccoli or whatever to eat at my desk but always step out with a few dudes from other groups when they go to the food court. It's a good time to get the gently caress away but also gossip like mean girls about typical IT/organization bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

KozmoNaut posted:

Reheated Assortment of Inexpensive Dishes

ftfy

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Noice

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Volmarias posted:

It's not :smugdog:

I work for a company that makes their own very popular email backend :ssh: Its Google and I can't stop humblebragging

Having done lots of Google Apps and Office 365 implementations I'd say that if you have staff who are open to the concept of change or are happy to say "no gently caress you we aren't using Outlook any more" to them, then Google Apps is the far less painful quirky broken option. It doesn't have as many unused features as 365, but what's there works, and the web UI isn't awful.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
So when the feds renewed our contract they explicitly barred us from traveling anywhere, even locally. I guess these 40 EOL devices at the 20 branch offices are going to replace themselves. The best part is that they're going to get mad at us when we can't replace them in time. :allears:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Without anything being discussed, it seems my elevation path has been changed. It used to go from the on call support person up to the appropriate on call IT person. Now, it seems that it goes from the on call support person, up to their director, over to my director, up to their boss, and then down the IT chain, resulting in an all hands on desk conference call. Yyyyyyyes!

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
I go out to eat every day and spend exorbitantly because I'm worth it

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Volmarias posted:

Its Google and I can't stop humblebragging

Do you work for the search, Android, or Chrome teams?
If you're in search, loving sort out CJK searches
If you're in Android, loving fix your VPN support. It was broken from 2.x to 4.0, and from 4.2 - now.
If you work on Chrome for iOS, have a look at the bug that Cisco filed 2 or so years ago, because you've managed to botch VPN on iOS too, and it's irritating

(I've actually bitched about all of this to my friend at Google but he's not on any of those teams and while he totally got the CJK issue when I explained it to him, he's about as able to change it as I am)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thanks Ants posted:

Having done lots of Google Apps and Office 365 implementations I'd say that if you have staff who are open to the concept of change or are happy to say "no gently caress you we aren't using Outlook any more" to them, then Google Apps is the far less painful quirky broken option. It doesn't have as many unused features as 365, but what's there works, and the web UI isn't awful.

For individual users, Google Apps is the poo poo. But if yo have to manage groups and stuff, it's a loving nightmare (I know there is PowerShell stuff, but out of the box it's all so loving rear end backwards.)

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

ookiimarukochan posted:

If you're in Android, loving fix your VPN support. It was broken from 2.x to 4.0, and from 4.2 - now.
If you work on Chrome for iOS, have a look at the bug that Cisco filed 2 or so years ago, because you've managed to botch VPN on iOS too, and it's irritating

(I've actually bitched about all of this to my friend at Google but he's not on any of those teams and while he totally got the CJK issue when I explained it to him, he's about as able to change it as I am)

Why would you want to sort out CJK results by default?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Zamujasa posted:

This is basically every DVR on the planet, it seems. They're all Chinese garbage and rely on home-grown protocols and other poo poo that break if you so much as sneeze at them.

Seconding this... However I seem to have stumbled onto an exception for the first time.

We use Vivotek branded IP cameras at work. They provide a nice free software package called ST7501 that works only with their cameras. Surprisingly, it is some of the best DVR/NVR software I have ever used. Runs perfectly fine on all modern versions of windows, doesn't require UAC or any other security features to be disabled, its very stable, and the GUI is surprisingly nice.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

An issue we've been fighting the client and Microsoft over for two weeks was fixed this morning by changing a login from domain\user to user@domain. Yay.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ookiimarukochan posted:

I don't work on any of those teams!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Volmarias posted:

How googly would you say your experience has been

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

For individual users, Google Apps is the poo poo. But if yo have to manage groups and stuff, it's a loving nightmare (I know there is PowerShell stuff, but out of the box it's all so loving rear end backwards.)

We're well north of 2k people in the google apps domain at work and it works well. Idunno what they use to manage it though, but probably some scripting on top of the HR system (or the AD that HR feeds into).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Inspector_666 posted:

We used Google Apps at a place I worked. Out of 35 users, 2 couldn't get their email one day.

Support? What support? Some lovely online 'durrr have you tried this' stuff, and then you can send an email off to be returned with something like "Some accounts currently have limited access. We do not have an estimate of when service will be restored."

poo poo started magically working about 24 hours later.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Bob Morales posted:

We used Google Apps at a place I worked. Out of 35 users, 2 couldn't get their email one day.

Support? What support? Some lovely online 'durrr have you tried this' stuff, and then you can send an email off to be returned with something like "Some accounts currently have limited access. We do not have an estimate of when service will be restored."

poo poo started magically working about 24 hours later.

third_party_application_support.txt

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

KaneTW posted:

Why would you want to sort out CJK results by default?

Unicode treats CJK as one language - they've got gently caress all in common, it'd be like having RCG for "Roman, Cyrillic, Greek" - and Google weight the gently caress out of Chinese results which means that if you search for Japanese terms on Google.com you have a good chance of Chinese results being returned even if there are Japanese-only codepoints used. Google Japan, you can search for Japanese stuff fine, but it weights the gently caress out of Japanese results so you can't search for English stuff (i.e. any search for an API question / error on google.co.jp is basically useless) and I hate having to switch between search engines depending on language when they could easily throw in a CJK weighting toggle in the advanced search engine settings.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

psydude posted:

How googly would you say your experience has been

Trick question, I don't live in a lovely Vince Vaughn movie.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

My boss seriously needs to grow a backbone. I sent out the outages for the weekend and we always specify if systems will be down, when, and why. For this weekend we're doing patching on Sunday. For Saturday we made sure to put down there wouldn't be any systems down. Some manager couldn't read and started bitching about how our systems need to be up on Saturday. According to my boss it is our fault this loving idiot can't read and now we're bending over backwards getting his approval on what our notifications should look like.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

jim truds posted:

My boss seriously needs to grow a backbone. I sent out the outages for the weekend and we always specify if systems will be down, when, and why. For this weekend we're doing patching on Sunday. For Saturday we made sure to put down there wouldn't be any systems down. Some manager couldn't read and started bitching about how our systems need to be up on Saturday. According to my boss it is our fault this loving idiot can't read and now we're bending over backwards getting his approval on what our notifications should look like.

Write the notification in single syllable words.

Thing* not work. We fix thing. To fix thing, we stop thing. Then we start thing. When thing back up, thing works!

*I can't think of a one syllable word for computer or server, or whatever.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SubjectVerbObject posted:

*I can't think of a one syllable word for computer or server, or whatever.

box

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Volmarias posted:

Trick question, I don't live in a lovely Vince Vaughn movie.

Would you believe me if I said I've heard actual real employees of Google use that term unironically?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

For some reason like a third of the people here want to use Outlook with Google Apps. I don't understand it, but it works okay unless you want to search through your email beyond the most recent 1GB.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

psydude posted:

Would you believe me if I said I've heard actual real employees of Google use that term unironically?

Yes, I would. It just tends to mean whatever the speaker wants it to mean, however, so it really doesn't mean anything. Same thing as "Amazonian" did at Amazon.

That said, Google is definitely a whole different world from what I've ever experienced, and on the whole it's pretty great.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
My tech director just called me from home to help him connect to his home wifi on a Windows XP computer

gently caress my life and promote me jesus christ

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
still on the phone this is completely hosed

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
he's reading me every program on his start menu while he looks for the program that's managing his wireless

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001

Roargasm posted:

he's reading me every program on his start menu while he looks for the program that's managing his wireless

Bonus points if he's using SP1 with WPA/WPA2 and you have to talk him through getting the patch loaded to make it work!

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

But, storage. Storage is so cheap these days

No it isn't.

totalnewbie posted:

Yeah, I was thinking of that a bit after I posted that. How much is a reasonable one for a 200 person office? 10-15k?

Depends. Number of people isn't how you measure it. But for quality? 40k give or take after you buy all the software/service agreement poo poo. Networked storage in general tends to be the most expensive thing on the network.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 14, 2014

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

BelDin posted:

Bonus points if he's using SP1 with WPA/WPA2 and you have to talk him through getting the patch loaded to make it work!

Bonus bonus points if the wifi hardware is so old it can't support WPA2

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Volmarias posted:

He gets their coffee!

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
~

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 15, 2014

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Without anything being discussed, it seems my elevation path has been changed. It used to go from the on call support person up to the appropriate on call IT person. Now, it seems that it goes from the on call support person, up to their director, over to my director, up to their boss, and then down the IT chain, resulting in an all hands on desk conference call. Yyyyyyyes!

I guarantee this gets changed quickly, especially if 2am calls for piddly poo poo are at all frequent. No way that senior director/CIO/whoever wants to get woken up for something he can't personally do anything about and can be fixed by a couple guys on the front lines.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Rhymenoserous posted:

No it isn't.

Depends. Number of people isn't how you measure it. But for quality? 40k give or take after you buy all the software/service agreement poo poo. Networked storage in general tends to be the most expensive thing on the network.

Just to give an idea, a quick look at newegg shows their top 'Featured Product', which is just a NAS rack with no disks, at 7 grand. That doesn't include any service agreements or anything like that beyond the 3 year limited warranty.

http://www.newegg.com/Rackmount-NAS/SubCategory/ID-2982?Tid=18252&Order=FEATURED

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society
So you want me to troubleshoot a iPhone app that wasn't distributed by my company. That is installed on a device that wasn't issued by my company.

Never loving call here again

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

So you want me to troubleshoot a iPhone app that wasn't distributed by my company. That is installed on a device that wasn't issued by my company.

Never loving call here again

Someone's not being customer-focused! Tsk tsk.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I would have expected him to go the extra mile on that one. Very disappointed.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
I get to go in tomorrow and support a side of the building with very little training and on my own. I've been told that the folks over there will do everything in their power to blame me (IT) for production errors, lack of work done, and anything else they can think of. It's going to be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Che Delilas posted:

Someone's not being customer-focused! Tsk tsk.
My director uses "supporting our internal customers" as short hand for "you will do anything that anyone asks of you."

I swear, if I have this seemingly innocuous conversation
Coworker: "Hey Stripe the bathroom light is out"
Me: "Oh word? I'll use the one upstairs, thanks"

I will hear about it later because I was supposed to change the light bulb or something.

Also yeah I still say "oh word?" because it's 1997.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 15, 2014