Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I'd love to pick up Eraserhead from B&N while it's on sale, but I can't get the website to tell me if my local store has it in stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Red posted:

I'd love to pick up Eraserhead from B&N while it's on sale, but I can't get the website to tell me if my local store has it in stock.

That functionality has been broken since at least the weekend. The mobile version of bn.com still seems to function in that regard (not sure the actual URL to it, but go to it on your phone).

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

mod sassinator posted:

Are there any coupons that accidentally stack with the 50% off?
There is a 15% off code that worked for me. CQ3S972ZXU64P

Blind bought Colonel Blimp. I had to miss a few days of work the last two weeks so it's really bad timing for me budget-wise. Might not get to pick up anything else, though if I can it'll be All That Jazz, La Notte and L'avventura (already have L'eclisse).

Also, like I say every sale: if anyone wants to split up the BBS Story box set, I'm down. All I want out of it is Five Easy Pieces.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Neo_Reloaded posted:

That functionality has been broken since at least the weekend. The mobile version of bn.com still seems to function in that regard (not sure the actual URL to it, but go to it on your phone).

Oh, this works - outstanding, thank you.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mod sassinator posted:

Are there any coupons that accidentally stack with the 50% off?

Coupons stack assuming it's a valid coupon (never used, directly from an email -- not those coupon aggregator websites).

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

I have a 15% off coupon if anyone wants it.
Edit: Taken

E.G.G.S. fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 13, 2014

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
C'mon Barnes and Noble, just let me use this 20% coupon on a pre-order of the Les Blank set. I'm going to buy it anyway when it comes out, the sale will still be going on, only this coupon will have long since expired.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I picked up the Yojimbo/Sanjuro box set and I already have Seven Samurai. If I love all three of those then can I assume I will also love Hidden Fortress? I don't usually blind-buy Criterions but I haven't been disappointed in a Kurosawa film yet.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

I picked up the Yojimbo/Sanjuro box set and I already have Seven Samurai. If I love all three of those then can I assume I will also love Hidden Fortress? I don't usually blind-buy Criterions but I haven't been disappointed in a Kurosawa film yet.

Throne of Blood. Throne of Blood!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Basebf555 posted:

Hidden Fortress is fantastic and well worth your $20.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Anyone know how long this sale lasts? Curious if there's enough time for family to get in for some Christmas gifts later, or if they should go ahead and order now.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

mod sassinator posted:

Anyone know how long this sale lasts? Curious if there's enough time for family to get in for some Christmas gifts later, or if they should go ahead and order now.

The B&N sale is scheduled to end on December 1st.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just not so subtly hinted to my girlfriend to buy me Judex for Christmas. I haven't seen it before, but I just found out that it's a remake of a 1916 film serial. Is the original available anywhere? I assume it's well into the public domain?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Basebf555 posted:

Get Ikiru.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Why has this not been put out on Blu-Ray yet?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just not so subtly hinted to my girlfriend to buy me Judex for Christmas. I haven't seen it before, but I just found out that it's a remake of a 1916 film serial. Is the original available anywhere? I assume it's well into the public domain?

Flicker Alley has a splendid DVD.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

robix smash posted:

Also, like I say every sale: if anyone wants to split up the BBS Story box set, I'm down. All I want out of it is Five Easy Pieces.

haha good luck. I only bought the set for that and Easy Rider.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Egbert Souse posted:

Flicker Alley has a splendid DVD.
Flicker Alley is amazing. They've got Abel Gance's "J'Accuse!", which is one of the most astonishing movies ever made, and nearly all of the Cinerama catalog, which are great time capsules with gorgeous photography.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Basebf555 posted:

Hidden Fortress is good. Throne of Blood is good. High and Low is a masterpiece.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Since it's my birth month, I decided to go a little crazy; the same day my mom bought me My Darling Clementine, I splurged and got:

Beauty and the Beast
F for Fake
Kes
Overlord
Scanners
All That Jazz
Macbeth
The Innocents
The Shooting/Ride with the Whirlwind
La Dolce Vita

I just keep repeating "I deserve this" in a mirror to stave off the buyer's guilt. (That and work's been good to me lately. I deserve a treat damnit!)

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Swagger Dagger posted:

Hidden Fortress is good. Throne of Blood is good. High and Low is a masterpiece.

This guy, this guys knows what's up (though I'd say Hidden Fortress is only okay).

High and Low is in the running for my favourite Kurosawa. It's incredible.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only Kurosawa film I wasn't enamored with was Kagemusha, mostly because it's just too long in my opinion. I think you could cut out like 30 minutes and it'd be on par with the rest of his library. Anyway, Hidden Fortress is definitely a must-buy if you liked his other famous works. I haven't regretted a single Kurosawa Criterion.

On my own end I just watched Persona, not knowing anything about it other than that it was a famous Bergman film. While I loved Fanny & Alexander, Wild Strawberries, and Seventh Seal I found this one to be a bit impenetrable. Some of the imagery was very striking and memorable but the more time passes since I finished it the more I think I didn't really care for it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Folks will probably jump on me for this, but being a huge Star Wars fan greatly increased my enjoyment of The Hidden Fortress. The characters and plot were instantly familiar so there wasn't that 10-15 minute period in the beginning where you're still getting into the movie. Toshiro Mifune is great, as always, but the two peasants steal the show.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

drat, I got a B&N 15%-off coupon for this weekend. That would make the Tati set $57 after tax. :negative:

Robert Denby posted:

Flicker Alley is amazing. They've got Abel Gance's "J'Accuse!", which is one of the most astonishing movies ever made, and nearly all of the Cinerama catalog, which are great time capsules with gorgeous photography.

Their Georges Melies set is one of the most important releases ever. Every surviving film of his in chronological order.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Swagger Dagger posted:

High and Low is in running for my favorite film. Everything about it is so great.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

I rarely hear any talk about the 3 Rossellini / Bergman films and would like to put my 20% coupon to good use with this sale. Are those worth the blind buy?

(I've already picked up the Demy & Tati sets or else those would be a no-brainer.)

Also, I agree on High and Low. An absolute masterpiece.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Nate RFB posted:

The only Kurosawa film I wasn't enamored with was Kagemusha, mostly because it's just too long in my opinion. I think you could cut out like 30 minutes and it'd be on par with the rest of his library.

The criterion set should have included the international edit which took off about 30 minutes from the run time. It's not a hack job, and includes some stuff that shows it was more than just a scissor job to the film.

It is a tighter film because of it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Nate RFB posted:

The only Kurosawa film I wasn't enamored with was Kagemusha, mostly because it's just too long in my opinion. I think you could cut out like 30 minutes and it'd be on par with the rest of his library.

I loved it, but it was also the first Kurosawa film that I saw all the way through, and I didn't know much about the historical context. Looking back on it, I'd probably find it overly-long if I were to watch it again.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

All this Kurosawa talk and no Rashomon? For shame!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zandert33 posted:

That's not the way I remember this Kurosawa talk

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

zandert33 posted:

I recall it differently.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

friendo55 posted:

I rarely hear any talk about the 3 Rossellini / Bergman films and would like to put my 20% coupon to good use with this sale. Are those worth the blind buy?

Eh, they're fair-to-middling. I'd say it depends how much you like either of them, but it's probably not a blind buy, especially with it missing two of their collaborations (Fear and Joan of Arc). See if you can watch one or two and then buy it depending on how you feel - it's supposed to have very strong extras.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Really what I'm discovering is Criterion has put out pretty much every major Kurosawa film so I have quite a few to go through. No way I can afford them all in this sale.

No Ran though in the Criterion collection. I really enjoyed seeing Kurosawa do color.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Eh, they're fair-to-middling. I'd say it depends how much you like either of them, but it's probably not a blind buy, especially with it missing two of their collaborations (Fear and Joan of Arc). See if you can watch one or two and then buy it depending on how you feel - it's supposed to have very strong extras.

Appreciate the feedback and yea I'm thinking Journey to Italy seems like the one I need to see most. I'll do that and go from there. Thank you!

I forget the last time I've asked this during these sales, but are there any Eclipse sets that I could use this extra 20% on? Any that are must-owns?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

friendo55 posted:

I forget the last time I've asked this during these sales, but are there any Eclipse sets that I could use this extra 20% on? Any that are must-owns?

Maybe Pearls of the Czech New Wave or Oshima's Outlaw Sixties (a personal favorite of mine).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm a big fan of the Allan King set, especially for A Married Couple, which is like Cassavetes's Faces but twice as searing.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Kurosawa chat: See/buy I Live In Fear, super loving good.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

friendo55 posted:

Nikkatsu Noir is a favorite of mine, and I know a lot of folks in this thread love it too.

edit: To elaborate a bit, if you like Seijun Suzuki (Branded to Kill, Tokyo Drifter), you'll like this set too. One of the films is directed by Suzuki (Take Aim at the Police Van, which rules and is my favorite in the set), and Joe Shishido stars in two others.

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 14, 2014

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I actually prefer Kagemusha to Ran mainly because of its historical context, while Ran is just a bit too much doom and gloom throughout. Nthing that High and Low is a must buy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

friendo55 posted:

I only have the William Klein and When Horror Came to Shochiku sets; both are completely nuts but can be a mixed bag. Who Are You, Polly Magoo is fantastic though.