Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Shima Honnou posted:

Can confirm with i7 and 980. Cutscenes bog down into the mid 30s/mid 40s for some reason, turning on even the lowest AA reduces framerate, and certain areas (Namely large crowds that you find in missions) brought the game down into the 40s while it was at 60 during the regular streets and open world poo poo.

I've had plenty of bugs with ACUnity (Silent CTDs and the "matrix freeze" being the most common ones), but apparently I'm the only one who's not having performance problems?

I'm on a Phenom II X6 1045 + 970, all stock clocks (minor OEM OC on the GPU), and I average 34 FPS with literally everything jacked. 1080p, Ultra High preset, and FXAA (default MSAA4x looked worse and ran ~3 FPS slower).

I rarely see it dip below 30 FPS and 27 is the worst I've seen for more than a moment or two. Every now and then there's a stutter if something loads, but considering I'm running maxed out settings with a CPU that only kind of meets the minimum system requirements (for Phenom II they spec a 3GHz quad core, I have a 2.7GHz hex core) I don't see anything wrong with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

wolrah posted:

I've had plenty of bugs with ACUnity (Silent CTDs and the "matrix freeze" being the most common ones), but apparently I'm the only one who's not having performance problems?

This is goddamn hilarious, apparently what this game wants to run well is a CPU under the minimum specs. It seems to me like the game is bottlenecking on the DX11 API on PC, and on CPU power on consoles.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

slightpirate posted:

I keep seeing the Asus Strix 970 popping up, is this the go-to card for the 970's or does it not matter much at this point?

It has the lowest set of problems of all them. Has concrete blocks to stop coil whine.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Shima Honnou posted:

Cutscenes bog down into the mid 30s/mid 40s for some reason

That happens because of the horribly implemented depth of field effect which, naturally, can't be turned off :eng99:

The game runs ok for me but crashes like every 20 minutes. At this point I think I'll wait for Far Cry 4 and play that instead. Unity needs patching in a big way.

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?
Heads up fellow Canadians, I bought my MSI 970 from Newegg.ca on October 8th and I just received a free game voucher by asking in Live Chat. No hassles, first service representative.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Null1fy posted:

Cross posting from the monitor thread:

I'm thinking about putting 3 U2415s in portrait for a ridiculous viewing experience. Think that a 970 Strix can handle it? Would it fry the card in quick fashion? I'd like to play newer FPS and such with pretty decent video settings.

Will be fine. I'm running 3 u2713s with 2 Strix, and the one game I play that still doesn't support SLI gives me around 35fps with max settings. Also, once you go surround, there really is no going back to single monitor gaming.

Edit: if you haven't seen this it's pretty funny. http://kotaku.com/assassins-creed-unity-has-the-best-glitches-1657939797

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

kuroiXiru posted:

At this point I think I'll wait for Far Cry 4 and play that instead. Unity needs patching in a big way.
This Ubisoft game is bad, so I'll play that Ubisoft game instead as it will clearly be amazing and not at all boring and tedious by the half-way point.

Far Cry 3 was only good because of Michael Mando, so unless they resurrect Vass somehow it'll have to be carried by the inevitably-dire storyline that only becomes fully apparent when it's too late to back out.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Sorry to hear you didn't like FC3 :( I loved it to bits, and I hope I'll enjoy 4 just as much.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
And the sweet news is Ubisoft isn't giving review copies for the PC version out until it's in stores, effectively embargoing reviews for the PC version until that time, so either they know what's up and it'll be ACU all over again, or the general reaction to ACU has turned them off something fierce.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Twerk from Home posted:

This is goddamn hilarious, apparently what this game wants to run well is a CPU under the minimum specs. It seems to me like the game is bottlenecking on the DX11 API on PC, and on CPU power on consoles.

I kind of wonder if my CPU being at the low end limits the rate of something else which ends up reducing the rate of DirectX calls and inadvertently avoids problems.

I have absolutely no idea how DirectX or any other graphics APIs work though, so that thought may be total nonsense.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Since it got patched today I gave ACU another go to see if my whole "It crashes my drivers any time I boot it after changing those shadow settings" problem was fixed. I honestly can't say because now it makes the whole system run at about 1 frame every 20 seconds until I can task manager kill the process.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Shima Honnou posted:

Since it got patched today I gave ACU another go to see if my whole "It crashes my drivers any time I boot it after changing those shadow settings" problem was fixed. I honestly can't say because now it makes the whole system run at about 1 frame every 20 seconds until I can task manager kill the process.

Unplug your network cable.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Let's all agree to stop using most Ubisoft games as any kind of example. That poo poo is shameful. Watch_:laugh: was bad enough, this is just surreal. Way to not develop for the platform, I guess!

Far Cry 4 looks to have very sane system requirements, so far. It's not a very hard engine to run on modern hardware, pretty good general benchmark for "can poo poo look good on my setup? yeah good!" in my opinion. If they haven't changed it dramatically I wouldn't imagine there being a huge performance difference. Still, after this, and with their choice to not release the game for reviews, no way in hell am I buying it before a lot of other people.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Agreed posted:

Far Cry 4 looks to have very sane system requirements, so far.

I think FC4 will be a better port because they are working more closely with nvidia. Implementing shiny fancy graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sC8XIsqjSc

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

r0ck0 posted:

I think FC4 will be a better port because they are working more closely with nvidia. Implementing shiny fancy graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sC8XIsqjSc

They also released videos like this alongside Watch(underscore)Dogs.

Has there been any game that advertises GameWorks but also isn't kind of a mess?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Hace posted:

They also released videos like this alongside Watch(underscore)Dogs.

Yeah, this is my gut feeling as well, though I do feel like the basic similarity of the engine should help make it not-insane at least. Having a really good, already functioning engine to build around has usually helped keep system requirements low in the past for reasons obvious and non (Crysis 2 tessellation vs. Crysis 3 tesselation :v:).

As to the other point re: gameworks, I kinda feel like it'd be just as accurate if stated as

quote:

Has there been any game that ... also isn't kind of a mess?

because as much as I enjoy stupid time wasters that cost a lot of money, they tend to be pretty badly coded with very rare exceptions. Even the great games are pretty bad in that regard.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
I have a 760 but want better fps at 1440p. Should I splurge for a 970/980 or just get another 760 used for sli and save lots of money? I have the right mobo and psu already but only 2 gb VRAM compared to 4.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Buy a 970.

Kornjaca
Mar 19, 2007

Gigabyte can go gently caress itself, hard. In the rear end. RMAed the card because of coil whine, received a mail saying that the coil whine is normal and to be expected. The card sounds like a cat being tormented by a thousand needles, if I am running at default settings. I had had success reducing the while with NI and overclocking the thing, however I decided to RMA it since I payed 500$(hail Japanese prices baby) for a product which is not functioning properly. The only way to not hear the card is to put on headphones and listen to music at full volume. Will never ever buy a PC component from those conniving sob's again!

e: sorry for the angry outburst, but I am so disappointing right now. :smith:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Kornjaca posted:

Gigabyte can go gently caress itself, hard. In the rear end. RMAed the card because of coil whine, received a mail saying that the coil whine is normal and to be expected. The card sounds like a cat being tormented by a thousand needles, if I am running at default settings. I had had success reducing the while with NI and overclocking the thing, however I decided to RMA it since I payed 500$(hail Japanese prices baby) for a product which is not functioning properly. The only way to not hear the card is to put on headphones and listen to music at full volume. Will never ever buy a PC component from those conniving sob's again!

e: sorry for the angry outburst, but I am so disappointing right now. :smith:

You can sometimes 'fix' coil whine by running it through looping benchmark runs. I guess you could call it 'breaking in' the card.

Try enabling/forcing Adaptive V-Sync as well (or setting a 100-120fps limit in nVidia Inspector), just in case your whine problem pertains to running extremely high FPS in applications.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Nov 15, 2014

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

r0ck0 posted:

I think FC4 will be a better port because they are working more closely with nvidia.

Don't fool yourself. When nVidia comes on site, they don't give a poo poo about optimizing the game. They're only there to push their API exclusive features.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
FC4 has an Nvidia setting the quality. Glorious.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jan posted:

Don't fool yourself. When nVidia comes on site, they don't give a poo poo about optimizing the game. They're only there to push their API exclusive features.

Optimization comes later when they put in special driver paths and rewrite and inject their own optimized shaders over the game's so they can release a new driver that touts a 20% performance increase without any of their optimization efforts going to help the competition.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
When did they become such a terrible company? Or is it AMDs recent swing to supporting open standards making them look terrible by comparison?

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

Dogen posted:

When did they become such a terrible company? Or is it AMDs recent swing to supporting open standards making them look terrible by comparison?
They knee deep in it with Samsung right now, so it seems ever since they decided to go mobile. They really have lost a little of themselves and don't really resemble the loveable underdog who sneaked in RIVA 128.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Dogen posted:

Nvidia have always been scummy. I'm not sure why you would have ever expected them to be anything else.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125706

Looks like the mini 970 is available.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So what I'm hearing is that if I don't end up getting my keys from TD it's not that big of a deal since both games are broken ports. good to hear, because TD is dicking me around.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.

veedubfreak posted:

So what I'm hearing is that if I don't end up getting my keys from TD it's not that big of a deal since both games are broken ports. good to hear, because TD is dicking me around.

far cry 4 isn't out yet, so not sure where you got that from

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

calusari posted:

far cry 4 isn't out yet, so not sure where you got that from

Math. Ubisoft games are usually bad ports. FC4 is made by Ubisoft. So, FC4 = bad port. Something like that.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I'm having Rainbow Six Lockdown flashbacks.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Basticle posted:

I'm having Rainbow Six Lockdown flashbacks.

I played a Rainbow Six game once. I didn't like it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The only newish game on PC that Ubisoft has had anything to with that was good was Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KakerMix posted:

The only newish game on PC that Ubisoft has had anything to with that was good was Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

I really liked Blood Dragon. But I messed up and finished the main story in like 12 hours. I still had like 75% of the map left but just felt like it wasn't worth bothering with after getting the final weapon.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

I really liked Blood Dragon. But I messed up and finished the main story in like 12 hours. I still had like 75% of the map left but just felt like it wasn't worth bothering with after getting the final weapon.

12? If you only truck through the story missions it takes like 3.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
^^^also that

It's really not worth it, the world is kinda boring outside the mission stuff. I really liked vanilla 3 though. Hopefully 4 will be similar and not rife with technical issues.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

KakerMix posted:

Uplay ate my save file about 8 hours in. Couldn't bother with it or any other uplay have after that.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

KakerMix posted:

Child of Light is also good and an Ubisoft game, it might be good because it tries to be opposite of your standard Ubisoft game. That game's existence almost doesn't make me hate having Uplay installed.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

On an MSI 970 is +140 Core Clock and +500 Mem Clock around the standard? I didn't do much OC'ing on my last card, so I'm pretty new to it. Should I just plug in those numbers, run Heaven, and go up or down from there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Schiavona posted:

On an MSI 970 is +140 Core Clock and +500 Mem Clock around the standard? I didn't do much OC'ing on my last card, so I'm pretty new to it. Should I just plug in those numbers, run Heaven, and go up or down from there?
I have mine stable at +150 core +500 mem.