Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

friendo55 posted:

I forget the last time I've asked this during these sales, but are there any Eclipse sets that I could use this extra 20% on? Any that are must-owns?

If you enjoy a good melodrama there's three sets for you: Silent Naruse, the Rafael Matarazzo set, and the Gainsborough Pictures set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

leokitty posted:

If you enjoy a good melodrama there's three sets for you: Silent Naruse, the Rafael Matarazzo set, and the Gainsborough Pictures set.
I'll add a fourth with the Jean Gremillon boxset.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I picked up Eraserhead finally, and blind-bought My Darling Clementine, Three Outlaw Samurai, and La Dolce Vita. Started watching Clementine tonight and holy poo poo is it loving good.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Folks will probably jump on me for this, but being a huge Star Wars fan greatly increased my enjoyment of The Hidden Fortress. The characters and plot were instantly familiar so there wasn't that 10-15 minute period in the beginning where you're still getting into the movie. Toshiro Mifune is great, as always, but the two peasants steal the show.

I don't think there's anything wrong with checking out the sources of something you love. Honestly, I think it's pretty cool how the original Star Wars took from so many different and varying sources (The Hidden Fortress being only one of many of course.) to make a single, cohesive whole.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

friendo55 posted:

Appreciate the feedback and yea I'm thinking Journey to Italy seems like the one I need to see most. I'll do that and go from there. Thank you!

I forget the last time I've asked this during these sales, but are there any Eclipse sets that I could use this extra 20% on? Any that are must-owns?

I really enjoy the Sam Fuller set, and it's one of the cheaper ones.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
Since I doubt they'll make a blu-ray release for it any time soon, I'm thinking I'll finally pick up Man Bites Dog. I'm surprised how few people seem to know about that one.

Dark comedy doesn't get much better. And it's an excellent satire/mockumentary.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Nthing the love for Pearls of the Czech New Wave - it was a really fertile/unique time for films in a country experiencing a revolution in political ideas, and they're all very different.

Late Ray is another I picked up recently, and it's a great display of a master of film showing everything he's got.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Thank you for all the feedback.... now I've got too many choices! I never had the Gainsborough Pictures or Raphael Matarazzo set on my radar at all, so definitely helpful - and a nice reminder on the Czech New Wave & Sam Fuller sets. Cheaper sounds good, but value with this sale trumps that. I'm thinking the Czech New Wave set may be the best option.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Does anyone here own the Louis Malle documentaries set, and if so what do you think of it?

PhunkMonkey
Apr 15, 2001
I broke down and picked up the Zatoichi box today. I have always loved this character and there are several in the series I have yet to see so I figure this is a good way to finally catch them. I'm not a huge fan of the paper sleeves from a protection standpoint but it sure is a gorgeous package otherwise. I'm also pretty frugal on my movie purchases and only grab one or two Criterion movies a year so this was a huge purchase for myself. After tax though I only paid $5 a movie and that's a great deal no matter how you "slice" it (hur hur)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Just got Scanners, Eyes Without a Face, Harakiri and Videodrome. :whatup: Thank you so much for this thread existing because I wouldn't have known this sale existed otherwise. :)

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Slate Action posted:

Does anyone here own the Louis Malle documentaries set, and if so what do you think of it?

I don't own them but I've seen them and they're all great. Vive le Tour is an all-time great sports film.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I did even better than the B&N sale, Half Price Books had there 50% off your most expensive item sale and I found the BR of Charade and got it for $10. A total blind buy, but can't got wrong with a $10 Criterion BR

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Got Red River for $20. Never seen it, but I like Howard Hawks and John Wayne. Plus, coming with the book it's based on is a sweet deal.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Red River is illin' as hell. It's almost a proto-The Searchers in the character dynamics/atmosphere, though I don't think it's as good as the latter (it's still great).

It IS the movie where, after watching it, John Ford said (regarding Wayne), "The son of a bitch never told me he could ACT!"

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
John Wayne near the beginning of Red River is basically God delivering Genesis. Except replace "good" with "beef."

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
February 2015 releases:

Every Man For Himself
Don't Look Now
An Autumn Afternoon
Watership Down
Fellini Satyricon
A Day in the Country

I'm gonna be honest, I'm just never going to be satisfied with any of these announcements until Mulholland Drive is in one of them.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 17, 2014

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Every Man For Himself - don't like it

Don't Look Now - not too crazy about this one either, though I wouldn't mind taking a second look

An Autumn Afternoon - good Ozu, but not good enough that I feel any need to own it

Fellini Satyricon - my least favorite Fellini after Amarcord.

Watership Down - never seen it but I really like the book. rental.

Although I'm disappointed that there's nothing I wanted (cmon already with the Apu trilogy!) at least it's yet another month where I can save some money. The only title out of the entire current "Coming Soon" slate I'm buying is Safe.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Info:

Fellini Satyricon - 24 Feb 2015

-New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
-Audio commentary featuring an adaptation of Eileen Lanouette Hughes’s memoir On the Set of “Fellini Satyricon”: A Behind-the-Scenes Diary
-Ciao, Federico!, Gideon Bachmann’s hour-long documentary shot on the set of Fellini Satyricon
-Archival interviews with director Federico Fellini
-New interview with cinematographer Giuseppe Rotunno
-New documentary about Fellini’s adaptation of Petronius’s work, featuring interviews with classicists Luca Canali, a consultant on the film, and Joanna Paul
-New interview with photographer Mary Ellen Mark about her experiences on the set and her iconic photographs of Fellini and his film
-Felliniana, a presentation of Fellini Satyricon ephemera from the collection of Don Young
-Trailer
-New English subtitle translation
-PLUS: An essay by film critic Michael Wood

Every Man For Himself - 3 Feb 2015

-New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
-Le scénario (1979), a short video created by director Jean-Luc Godard to secure financing for Every Man for Himself
-New video essay by critic Colin MacCabe
-New interviews with actor Isabelle Huppert and producer Marin Karmitz
-Archival interviews with actor Nathalie Baye, cinema­tographers Renato Berta and William Lubtchansky, and composer Gabriel Yared
-Two back-to-back 1980 appearances by Godard on The Dick Cavett Show
-Godard 1980, a short film by Jon Jost, Donald Ranvaud, and Peter Wollen, featuring Godard
-Trailer
-PLUS: An essay by critic Amy Taubin

Don't Look Now - 10 Feb 2015

-New 4K digital restoration, approved by director Nicolas Roeg, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
-New conversation between the film’s editor, Graeme Clifford, and film writer Bobbie O’Steen
-“Don’t Look Now,” Looking Back, a short 2002 documentary featuring Roeg, Clifford, and cinematographer Anthony Richmond
-Death in Venice, a 2006 interview with composer Pino Donaggio
-Something Interesting, a new documentary on the writing and making of the film, featuring interviews with Richmond, actors Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland, and coscreenwriter Allan Scott
-Nicolas Roeg: The Enigma of Film, a new documentary on Roeg’s style, featuring interviews with filmmakers Danny Boyle and Steven Soderbergh
-Q&A with Roeg at London’s Ciné Lumière from 2003
-Trailer
-PLUS: An essay by film critic David Thompson

Watership Down - 24 Feb 2015

-New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed stereo soundtrack on the Blu-ray
-New interview with director Martin Rosen
-New appreciation of the film by director Guillermo del Toro
-Picture-in-picture storyboard for the entire film (Blu-ray); four film-to-storyboard scene comparisons (DVD)
-Defining a Style, a 2008 featurette about the film’s aesthetic
-Trailer
-PLUS: An essay by comic book writer Gerard Jones

A Day In The Country - 10 Feb 2015

-New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
-Introduction by director Jean Renoir from 1962
-New interview with Renoir scholar Christopher Faulkner about the film’s production
-New video essay by Faulkner on Renoir’s methods
-Un tournage à la campagne, an 89-minute 1994 compilation of outtakes from the film
-Interview with producer Pierre Braunberger from 1979
-Screen tests
-New English subtitle translation
-PLUS: An essay by film scholar Gilberto Perez

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Watership Down is pretty great but I'm at the point where a lot/all of these are already on Hulu so I just end up watching them there. I was just watching Watership the other day.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Watership Down is the only one here I'm really curious about, though I'd like to return to Don't Look Now and see if it's as underwhelming as I remember it being.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Super excited about Every Man For Himself. Criterion previously hasn't seemed interested in Godard's post-new wave output, and a lot of it is really tough to find (outside of non-English friendly releases from France).

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Super excited about Every Man For Himself. Criterion previously hasn't seemed interested in Godard's post-new wave output, and a lot of it is really tough to find (outside of non-English friendly releases from France).

Fuckin' A.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Has anyone here seen A Day in the Country?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

It's probably my favorite Renoir. Short and pastoral and lovely. Bright spot in an otherwise unappealing month for me.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Oops, I missed that one. Yeah, it's really great. Easily my favorite of this batch. Still, I don't think I need to own it.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Slate Action posted:

February 2015 releases:

Watership Down

Today is a very good day. I hope they do The Plague Dogs next.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
Never seen Don't Look Now, but I've read the original Daphne du Maurier short story and it gave me a great chill. I wonder if the movie is worth picking up - any thoughts?

Also, sad I still don't have my Apu Trilogy.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

That outtake reel on A Day in the Country is twice the length of the actual film.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

TrixRabbi posted:

That outtake reel on A Day in the Country is twice the length of the actual film.

So is the extra footage reel for Night of the Hunter.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

A Day in the Country is an utterly delightful film. Can't wait to revisit it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Slate Action posted:

So is the extra footage reel for Night of the Hunter.

Autumn Sonata - 93 minutes
The Making of Autumn Sonata - 206 minutes

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
SATYRICON!!! Beautiful.

Also I hope this means Criterion will be releasing more of Godard's post-60's work.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

I wouldn't mind getting upgrades of the rest of his early fun stuff too tho. A Woman is a Woman, specifically.

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

I love A Day in the Country, and it's certainly singular enough to deserve its own release, but I think I would have preferred it to be packaged with something else, like an updated The Lower Depths or something. Still the best release in a pretty good month, though.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Watership Down, huh? Outside of that Wes Anderson flick, is that the first work of animation they've done since Akira? Frankly, I would love nothing more than to see Criterion bringing back some classic works of animation, particularly some stuff from the Soviet Union. Even if they wanted to put it in a separate collection.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Rusty Staub posted:

I wouldn't mind getting upgrades of the rest of his early fun stuff too tho. A Woman is a Woman, specifically.

I'd love that too, but much of those are tied up with StudioCanal nonsense. Hopefully SC will realize Lionsgate is useless and renegotiate with Criterion soon.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

Watership Down, huh? Outside of that Wes Anderson flick, is that the first work of animation they've done since Akira? Frankly, I would love nothing more than to see Criterion bringing back some classic works of animation, particularly some stuff from the Soviet Union. Even if they wanted to put it in a separate collection.

It is, outside of a few shorts here and there as extras.

I'd love to see Criterion get the rights to Norman McLaren's films since they could produce a great collection. There was a mostly comprehensive DVD set released about 10 years ago, but it's OOP and missing 4-5 3-D films that were recently restored. They've only licensed Mon oncle Antoine and Paddle to the Sea from the NFB Canada, though.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Which reminds me, the Tati collection has a glaring omission: The Illusionist

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I would have pegged Don't Look Now for a buy if it had come with a scholarly commentary to explain just what the gently caress is going on. Might check out the Renoir and the Goddard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

zenintrude posted:

Which reminds me, the Tati collection has a glaring omission: The Illusionist

Agreed. Criterion should release the triplets of Belleville first if we're talking Chomet though.