Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silvance
Sep 30, 2011
On the bright side, it got us an early release from class. The whole "dismissing civilian personnel" thing had me worried that the PX wouldn't be open. Where would I have gotten my cheap alcohol from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant
This guy?

08 Aug 14: An Arabic instructor, DLI, Presidio, CA was administratively suspended by the DLI Commandant based on threats he made against the installation.

What's that all about?

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
That'll show him for not teaching to the dlpt

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Hey any Navy people at DLI, I'm looking for information on a recent or soon-to-be possible graduate. Based on the timeline of when he left for DLI he should be either around graduation or would have failed out by now otherwise. He would have been an HM2(FMF) who was stationed at 29 Palms for like 8 years, was attempting to cross-rate to CTI and would probably have been a gigantic cock the entire time, probably mad about people's lack of military bearing. If anybody knows the person I'm talking about message me, I just want to know if he made it through and I lost his personal contact info.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Nice try Mahmud. We'll never give out the names of our proud crypto-warriors :911:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Wait, what do you mean the DLPT is two weeks away? You tryna tell me I'm in week 62 or somethi

...oh. :stare:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Welp. It's been a pretty crazy year and a half but that 2+ 2 1+ says I'm gonna hit the road in a week or so. Wonder how quickly I'll forget how to speak Terrist...

Atall
May 23, 2012

Friar Zucchini posted:

Welp. It's been a pretty crazy year and a half but that 2+ 2 1+ says I'm gonna hit the road in a week or so. Wonder how quickly I'll forget how to speak Terrist...

Speak? Fairly quickly unless you engage regularly in speaking. The other stuff will stay with you for a while.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I flunked my Chinese with 1's across the board but 6 years later I can speak it better than I can read/listen to it. Not that I can speak it very well. YMMV.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
Anyone here current DLI who has the username/pass to RapidRote? Please pm

Atall
May 23, 2012
You can get one pretty easily by going to JLU and requesting one.

https://jlu.wbtrain.com/sumtotal/jlu2.0/HOME/index.asp?error=invalid_logon

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Friar Zucchini posted:

cool story r u a chick i'll gently caress sponsor u in gworgia

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Atall posted:

You can get one pretty easily by going to JLU and requesting one.

https://jlu.wbtrain.com/sumtotal/jlu2.0/HOME/index.asp?error=invalid_logon

Only if you're not retired, a civilian, or a dependent x_x

Silvance
Sep 30, 2011
DLI actually lost their Rapidrote contract; we can't use the site anymore.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

That's basically all one of my teachers does for 7th hour, so I'm not sure what you mean there.

Atall
May 23, 2012

Silvance posted:

DLI actually lost their Rapidrote contract; we can't use the site anymore.

It is still available through JLU, just the lovely 6.7th version on the macbook is no longer supported.

You're better off fishing for the 4.x version somewhere.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I've been here long enough at this point that I've known people who are graduating now well enough to think of them as friends, and I don't know any PFCs in any of the other platoons.

And I'm just taking my 201 next week.

There are some days when I love how much time I have here, and others when I hate it.

Also I took a unit test while hungover for the first time last week, and greatly improved my listening score from my last unit test. I don't know why it took me so long to try this.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Atall posted:

It is still available through JLU, just the lovely 6.7th version on the macbook is no longer supported.

You're better off fishing for the 4.x version somewhere.

Macbook? the gently caress

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives

Analogical posted:

Macbook? the gently caress

They actually cost the same/less than those lovely thinkpads the Army used to issue at DLI, and they're 100 times better. The IPADs I can't say much about, mine was pretty much a paperweight/gaming platform.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Androies posted:

They actually cost the same/less than those lovely thinkpads the Army used to issue at DLI, and they're 100 times better. The IPADs I can't say much about, mine was pretty much a paperweight/gaming platform.

iPad or iPod touch? Jesus, when did DLI get actual funding

Silvance
Sep 30, 2011
3/3/1+ in Pashto! Done with this drat place. On to Goodfellow and then Meade!

Oh, and they're IPads, not IPod touches.

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives
Another year, another 3/3 I have no idea how I got. If you fail the Farsi DLPT you're just bad at guessing.

Silvance
Sep 30, 2011
I'm actually Pashto, which I've heard has an easier course here than Farsi, but I have very little reference level for that. I know Pashto flat out never hands out more than 2 on the OPI, which is fine since it doesn't actually matter.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Silvance posted:

I'm actually Pashto, which I've heard has an easier course here than Farsi, but I have very little reference level for that. I know Pashto flat out never hands out more than 2 on the OPI, which is fine since it doesn't actually matter.

They must have really improved the Pash course. When I was at DLI they were just standing it up and a 1+/1+ was gold back then but the instructors were mostly farmers too.

Farsi should be harder linguistically though it has more resources and actual instructors, so it's easier to learn normally. Silvance is about to hate his life, only one place you gon end up boy

Androies posted:

Another year, another 3/3 I have no idea how I got. If you fail the Farsi DLPT you're just bad at guessing.

You're not in Disgusta are you?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Is it possible to take a DLPT if you're not enlisted? I've got an OPI score but I'd like to have a nice DLPT score to put on the resume.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Deathy McDeath posted:

Is it possible to take a DLPT if you're not enlisted? I've got an OPI score but I'd like to have a nice DLPT score to put on the resume.

You have to be some form of DoD, including contractor. There could be exceptions, but I haven't heard of them personally. You can try to tell the Army you want to re-up and see if they'll let you take it at MEPS, then never talk to them again.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

Analogical posted:

They must have really improved the Pash course. When I was at DLI they were just standing it up and a 1+/1+ was gold back then but the instructors were mostly farmers too.

Farsi should be harder linguistically though it has more resources and actual instructors, so it's easier to learn normally. Silvance is about to hate his life, only one place you gon end up boy

The Pashto course wasn't harder, the DLPT was. Back then, it was constructive response (got a 2+/2 on mine), they switched to multiple choice in 2012 iirc, I got a 3/3 first time I took that.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

Analogical posted:

The Pashto course wasn't harder, the DLPT was. Back then, it was constructive response (got a 2+/2 on mine), they switched to multiple choice in 2012 iirc, I got a 3/3 first time I took that.

Silvance
Sep 30, 2011

Analogical posted:

Well, by one place, I assume you mean Goodfellow? After that, it's Meade for me, which I've heard isn't too bad. Sucks though, because I had my orders to Germany in hand when they got revoked because of lack of need and switched me to Meade.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Silvance posted:

Well, by one place, I assume you mean Goodfellow? After that, it's Meade for me, which I've heard isn't too bad. Sucks though, because I had my orders to Germany in hand when they got revoked because of lack of need and switched me to Meade.

Nah I mean more of what you'll be doing in Meade. Try to pick up some other skills while at Goodfellow if you're able, and if you get a chance to switch, as Pash, down to GA I'd try to do that if I were you.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Analogical posted:

Try to pick up some other skills while at Goodfellow if you're able
The only "other skills" I'm learning here other than in class is just figuring out better ways to stay as far as I can from the MTLs as I can. I could move off post (just announced, commander says all TPG in good standing are allowed to) except considering that my white rear end is gettin the gently caress out this place in three weeks I doubt that's worth the effort.

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives

Analogical posted:

Of course not, my language skills are being put to the test at beautiful Fort Campbell. At least there's a fuckton of Farsi and Dari linguists in my section so we can talk poo poo about everyone else.

Atall
May 23, 2012
I'm glad to see all of you graduate. Enjoy life as a Pashto linguist and all that.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Friar Zucchini posted:

The only "other skills" I'm learning here other than in class is just figuring out better ways to stay as far as I can from the MTLs as I can. I could move off post (just announced, commander says all TPG in good standing are allowed to) except considering that my white rear end is gettin the gently caress out this place in three weeks I doubt that's worth the effort.

Showing aptitude in anything other than language can be enough to move you out of the grind you're about to sit down into. A few years back a friend of mine from DLI worked with some MTLs on cyber at Goodfellow and now works in that area, still leveraging language. I'm not saying he broke into a class and took tests in cyber thats stupid as poo poo and doesn't happen, he basically just learned enough job-related terms to yell out all at once in a stupid elevator pitch to convince a tired MSgt to transfer him. You'll find that the DoD is very fluid in where you can work, but where you sit your rear end down can make all the difference in your quality of life and job satisfaction.

Silvance
Sep 30, 2011

Analogical posted:

Nah I mean more of what you'll be doing in Meade. Try to pick up some other skills while at Goodfellow if you're able, and if you get a chance to switch, as Pash, down to GA I'd try to do that if I were you.

Any reason you can give me for that? I was originally going to Wiesbaden, but the day after I had my orders in hand they were revoked because they closed Wiesbaden down to pashto linguists. I wanted GA because it's close to home but Meade is very centralized so I'm looking forward to it.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Analogical posted:

Showing aptitude in anything other than language can be enough to move you out of the grind you're about to sit down into. A few years back a friend of mine from DLI worked with some MTLs on cyber at Goodfellow and now works in that area, still leveraging language. I'm not saying he broke into a class and took tests in cyber thats stupid as poo poo and doesn't happen, he basically just learned enough job-related terms to yell out all at once in a stupid elevator pitch to convince a tired MSgt to transfer him. You'll find that the DoD is very fluid in where you can work, but where you sit your rear end down can make all the difference in your quality of life and job satisfaction.
Goodfellow was a very different place a few years back. They deliberately make things as difficult as possible here. If someone says "But wouldn't it make more sense if..." or "Wouldn't things be easier if..." the response is "Dude, do you not know a drat thing about this place? This is Goodfellow, it will never make sense." Basically some people hosed up in 2012 so they locked the place right the hell down, except they never remembered that NPS students usually only spend a few months here, so the people they were punishing for the next few years never had anything to do with whatever it was that went wrong, and weren't even here when it happened. Word from reliable sources is that we'll be treated like adults come February or March. I'll be long gone by then but while I'm here, my main objective here is just to not get in trouble.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 1, 2014

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Silvance posted:

Any reason you can give me for that? I was originally going to Wiesbaden, but the day after I had my orders in hand they were revoked because they closed Wiesbaden down to pashto linguists. I wanted GA because it's close to home but Meade is very centralized so I'm looking forward to it.

The mission at GA that a Pashling would be working in has a lot higher a lifespan than what you'll be doing in Meade and much cooler.

A big difference here though is what department the DoD puts you in which you wouldn't know yet until you've done "new hire orientation". How far along are you now? Once you get to the worksite I can give you some guidance on the lay of the land.

Redfont
Feb 9, 2010

Little Mac(kerel)

Androies posted:

I had the opposite problem, once I downloaded a nice pdf app on the ipad my MacBook turned into a dedicated Civ V machine.

Silvance
Sep 30, 2011

Analogical posted:

The mission at GA that a Pashling would be working in has a lot higher a lifespan than what you'll be doing in Meade and much cooler.

A big difference here though is what department the DoD puts you in which you wouldn't know yet until you've done "new hire orientation". How far along are you now? Once you get to the worksite I can give you some guidance on the lay of the land.

I'm in Goodfellow. One month in and I realize why every soldier I've talked to who's been here for longer than I acts clinically depressed. This is where dreams go to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Silvance posted:

I'm in Goodfellow. One month in and I realize why every soldier I've talked to who's been here for longer than I acts clinically depressed. This is where dreams go to die.

If you think that's bad you're in for a real treat.

• Locked thread