Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

indigi posted:

oh also re: tipping in traffic

how will that work with no charge backs

if I'm in front of you and you give me a quarter to let you pass, I can always not let you pass and, knowing you're in a rush, extort you for more tips

alternately, if you're supposed to tip after I cede the lane, what recourse do I have if you just don't pay me, or if youre double spending your coins up and down the highway

smh
your self-driving robot car beeps and boops and forces you to let them pass

also loads of drm so you can't hack it to not do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

jony ive aces posted:

your self-driving robot car beeps and boops and forces you to let them pass

also loads of drm so you can't hack it to not do that

it's about personal responsibility, see

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
They're just Mike Jones fans, it's why they keep repeating the same mistakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYTBsN-KeNE

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

BBJoey posted:

it's about personal responsibility, see
if someone doesn't move just give them a scammer bumper sticker

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
no see its all automated, when your self driving car gets pennies thrown at it it automatically cedes the lane

meaning the obvious scheme is to get a fleet of cars and have it clog up the interstate until it gets enough tips to turn a profit

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
the free market will correct for people who cheat and jailbreak their cars by running them off the road

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
in the glorious bitcoin future all cars on the road will be in a perpetual mexican standoff, ready to send their blissfully unaware occupants careening into a ditch at the first delayed confirmation

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
well if they're perfectly driven cars with traffic logic and poo poo, nobody would be driving in the passing lane. because it's the passing lane. but also if they're all computer driven wtf they'd all be going the same speed in theory

poik007
Aug 16, 2006
Thinks Mother 3 is the best game ever
wait why did the guy say that buttcoin.org is a satirical bitcoin website, I thought it was the most honest of them :monocle:

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
dammit now im broke and late for my job

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
you're not broke, the autonomous corporation that operates your car is

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I think the real problem with self driving cars is that either everyone will have to use them or nobody will use them, cause a computer isn't gonna be able to anticipate and improvise around the behavior of a bunch of idiot humans

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

indigi posted:

I think the real problem with self driving cars is that either everyone will have to use them or nobody will use them, cause a computer isn't gonna be able to anticipate and improvise around the behavior of a bunch of idiot humans

which will never happen. there are still idiots who won't drive cars with fuel injection because of "that drat computer!"

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Sweevo posted:

which will never happen. there are still idiots who won't drive cars with fuel injection because of "that drat computer!"

I don't see the problem, all we need is for a strong central government to coerce everyone into adopting self-driving cars, and robust regulations to ensure those cars are all programmed to tip fairly and not extort each other

and then finally we can live in a libertarian paradise!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

infernal machines posted:

yeah, the thing is, nothing in their "system" works in practice. ever.

it's all trivially easy to cheat, and it's why they all manage to get cheated every time an opportunity occurs.

We will have a blockchain equivalent of "how is my driving". Anyone who's bad will get a scammer tag

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

poik007 posted:

wait why did the guy say that buttcoin.org is a satirical bitcoin website, I thought it was the most honest of them :monocle:

No actually FCKGW slept with Jody from BFL in exchange for good reviews for her game Deflation Quest but the mods won't let us talk about it because they are nazis

#Cryptogate

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

yeah, the thing is, nothing in their "system" works in practice. ever.

it's all trivially easy to cheat, and it's why they all manage to get cheated every time an opportunity occurs.

even if it worked perfectly, it incentivizes creating traffic jams. and not just by one car, a whole fleet of self-driving traffic jammers creates a rolling barricade at rush hour, letting only the highest tippers through.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

The Management posted:

even if it worked perfectly, it incentivizes creating traffic jams. and not just by one car, a whole fleet of self-driving traffic jammers creates a rolling barricade at rush hour, letting only the highest tippers through.

don't worry, the road, being a rational actor, would discourage this behavior by requiring higher tolls for cars with scammer tags

if it colluded with the scammers, the invisible hand would provide another road

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
self driving cars are the dumbest loving theing and much like bitcoin introduce way more problems than the non issue it tries to solve

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Alan Smithee posted:

No actually FCKGW slept with Jody from BFL in exchange for good reviews for her game Deflation Quest but the mods won't let us talk about it because they are nazis

#Cryptogate

Actually it's about ethics in cryptocurrency journalism.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

quote:

Let's send the guy who landed a probe on a comet but was made to apologize in tears for a weird shirt some tips for a beer! @mggtTaylor is his Twitter handle (telegraph.co.uk)
submitted 3 hours ago by hodlgentlemen

[–]CryptoBudha 6 points 43 minutes ago

"While some of us were following Rosetta's landing on Philae with wonder, others were apparently rather more interested in what the scientists were wearing."

gently caress those feminist bitchez, they can act offended as much as they like. So they can go on the beach half naked, but when someone puts that on a shirt it becomes offensive. gently caress that double standard.

[–]SiriusCH 2 points an hour ago

Done. Edit : I sent a coffee, but he doesn't have an account yet. And maybe he doesn't check his Twitter at the moment due to the heat.

[–]Renben9 1 point 2 hours ago*

It is done. Holy poo poo, nobody should ever feel bad for liking guns and hot girls.

Edit: He should have said something like that, instead of apologizing:

Oh, so you object to my shirt? Well, let me see if I care… Nope, sorry. I don’t. You want to know why? Because this is America and even though it may not seem to be lately, it still is the land of the free. You miserable “liberals” don’t get to dictate who wears what, and what is okay to like and what not. If you want to live in a place where everything must be approved beforehand by good for nothing control freaks like you, move to France and get told what to do, what to say, what to eat and how to wipe your own rear end 24/7 there. Here we like fast cars, loud guns and hot girls. Now, if you still have a problem with that, I recommend you go to the next Starbucks and have nice, hot, 7 dollar latte and blog about how oppressed you are on your 2000 dollar Macbook. Meanwhile, I’m going back to putting robots on loving comets.

Then go out, move to America and work at NASA. This is how you lose competent people, Great Britain. All you are going to be left with, is worthless, social-narrative fitting liberal douches who'd rather blog about the environmental impact of space missions on the mating behavior of the blue-bellied swamp toad. The guys who actually do stuff will be gone.

Edit 2: I know he's not American. But the whole speech doesn't really work without the 'murrica thing. If someone could adapt that to "English guy living in the Netherlands", please do so... but nobody associates that with freedom.
:mrapig:

edit: it should go without saying that the last two paragraphs appeared after someone pointed out that the guy lives in the netherlands and works for ESA

Herman Merman fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 15, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Herman Merman posted:

:mrapig:

edit: it should go without saying that the last two paragraphs appeared after someone pointed out that the guy lives in the netherlands and works for ESA

what a loving moron

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

this is the hill i will die on

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
first they came for the racists
and I did not speak out, because some of my best friends are black
then they came for the homophobes
and I did not speak out, because some of my best friends are gay
then they came for the sexist shirts
and there was nobody left who could understand why i gave a gently caress

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

actually it's about ethics in space t-shirts

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Bitcoin miner photo may not be accurate representation of final end product

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Alan Smithee posted:

We will have a blockchain equivalent of "how is my driving". Anyone who's bad will get a scammer tag

Roadblockchain

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Exinos posted:

Roadblockchain

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

unpacked robinhood posted:

self driving cars are the dumbest loving theing and much like bitcoin introduce way more problems than the non issue it tries to solve

all self driving cars or just dumb libertopia ones because normal ones would be sweet

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Alan Smithee posted:

Bitcoin miner photo may not be accurate representation of final end product

You need to tweak the golden buttstand so it looks like its making GBS threads coins, or add a splash effect to the base so it looks like its making GBS threads liquid gold.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

indigi posted:

why in the world would you have to spend 100k a month for x months to get a secure messageboard platform

he wants a brand new forum software package that's as featureful and robust as packages that were developed over more than a decade by whole teams of programmers, and he wants all of that in the first revision.

spending hundreds of thousands of dollars a month for a few months is probably actually required to pay developers to actually do the whole stupid project, and not just get jimmy the second year comp sci major as your project lead

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

there are approximately 33,561 problems per year as of 2012: http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Actually, if you could get all the vehicles on the road to be self operating and coordinate with each other we could have much higher speeds on highways and more efficient flow during high traffic volumes. This does require a centrally managed system with set standards and monitoring though, so the opposite of what is happening with Google

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

evilweasel posted:

there are approximately 33,561 problems per year as of 2012: http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx

quote:

Fatalities per 100 Million Vehicle Miles Traveled: 1.13

holy poo poo, better stay away from automobiles

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Management posted:

i drive all the time, not saying we shouldn't drive or anything but there's obviously a lot of room for improvement there

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

evilweasel posted:

:tinfoil:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

The Management posted:

:agreed:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

The Management posted:

And if you don't you'd better carpool

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Actually, if you could get all the vehicles on the road to be self operating and coordinate with each other we could have much higher speeds on highways and more efficient flow during high traffic volumes. This does require a centrally managed system with set standards and monitoring though, so the opposite of what is happening with Google

yeah basically. the ideal system would be a centralized traffic controller that knows everybody's destination and plans accordingly to avoid overloading certain routes, clean up jams, etc., but that's a terrible idea for so many other reasons that it'll never happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

i was thinking about driverless vehicules mostly

• Locked thread