Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
A final dungeon with teleporter mazes and invisible walls that drags on forever and at the very end, at the point of no return, is when all the rest of the bonus crap unlocks out in the rest of the world. Classic Atlus. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
One shame is that after doing all the bonus content the final boss is (as you'd expect) going to feel pretty easy. I can assure you that if you do it at the sort of level you'd be if you didn't do the bonus content that she's not.

Also has the best music.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Feinne posted:

One shame is that after doing all the bonus content the final boss is (as you'd expect) going to feel pretty easy. I can assure you that if you do it at the sort of level you'd be if you didn't do the bonus content that she's not.

Also has the best music.

The final bosses of both games are total push overs honestly. Even without doing the bonus bosses.

W.T. Fits posted:

A final dungeon with teleporter mazes and invisible walls that drags on forever and at the very end, at the point of no return, is when all the rest of the bonus crap unlocks out in the rest of the world. Classic Atlus. :allears:

I can see how people would get frustrated by the second games last dungeon but this final dungeon is honestly very straightforward it's not even that long really. As a whole I feel that the dungeon design in DDS is far less dungeon crawly than even Nocturne. The bonus stuff unlocking at the final door loving sucks and meant that I never actually did any of it because why would you when the final boss is right there.

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Herein I have explained the operation of the sun.
Another dick move is that you have to walk onto the top platform where Gale is to unlock all the content. You'll see that the area location in the upper right will read 'Top Floor' or some such. Simply beating Ananta isn't enough. To be even bigger dicks Atlus put the small terminal down at the bottom of the room so, don't warp out too early or you'll have to go all the way back!

But hey, it's better than keeping your bonus bosses locked behind incredibly rare drops from rare enemies, right?

... right? :shepicide:

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Staticpulse posted:

Another dick move is that you have to walk onto the top platform where Gale is to unlock all the content. You'll see that the area location in the upper right will read 'Top Floor' or some such. Simply beating Ananta isn't enough. To be even bigger dicks Atlus put the small terminal down at the bottom of the room so, don't warp out too early or you'll have to go all the way back!

But hey, it's better than keeping your bonus bosses locked behind incredibly rare drops from rare enemies, right?

... right? :shepicide:
It sure as hell beats giving them a 1/256 chance of showing up in very specific places. At least this way, once you know they exist you can just go straight to them. I loved SMT IV but that was just loving idiotic.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

The final bosses of both games are total push overs honestly. Even without doing the bonus bosses.

I can see how people would get frustrated by the second games last dungeon but this final dungeon is honestly very straightforward it's not even that long really. As a whole I feel that the dungeon design in DDS is far less dungeon crawly than even Nocturne. The bonus stuff unlocking at the final door loving sucks and meant that I never actually did any of it because why would you when the final boss is right there.

I 100% agree with you on DDS2's final boss, but this game's final boss can at least sometimes be threatening.

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"

Feinne posted:

I 100% agree with you on DDS2's final boss, but this game's final boss can at least sometimes be threatening.

DDS2's final boss was way less threatening than the boss immediately before it. I had to stop and grind levels and specific skills in order to get past that brick wall.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Feinne posted:

First time I played this game I accidentally entered the boss fight with a team that didn't cover all elements.

That went about as well as could be expected.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do actually kind of like these teleporter mazes, since at least you can predict where you'll get dropped off.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

mauman posted:

First time I played this game I accidentally entered the boss fight with a team that didn't cover all elements.

That went about as well as could be expected.

So did I, but by then I had stockpiled a million of those one-use spell items (spoilers just in case) so I just used those. That final boss was really easy compared to... well, most everything in the game.

Also, I really hope this LP doesn't die; I never finished (or even got very far into) DDS2 despite REALLY wanting to understand what the gently caress had been going on, and I thought this would be my chance.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I really wanna see him fight that one guy. You know, the really hard one.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I wouldn't worry about either of those. Just been a mite more busy than normal lately, but yeah, not dead and of course I'm going to fight everything there is to fight. Possibly in multiple ways just for fun where I can.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Ratoslov posted:

I really wanna see him fight that one guy. You know, the really hard one.
Mara?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Alright, so as with King Frost, Beelzebub (both) and Orochi, what's coming up next is entirely optional and can be skipped without much of a loss.

...Unlike before, there is absolutely no dungeon crawling to be had. We've already crawled all of the dungeons. Instead, we're just skipping from boss fight to boss fight. Since this could be hard to follow, I'll include a shot of the map to help explain where everything is.

Svadhisthana's rookie is chilling out in the basement opposite where Baal Zebal was originally. She's past the red wall where there was just a Soma.

Thankfully, as with every boss fight there's no way of accidentally stumbling in unprepared. The game is at least kind enough to let you know there's something in there.

...Kinda wish it didn't do that for these though.

There's absolutely no dialogue before the fight begins, so we'll just dive right in!

Optional Boss: Aerial Suzaku

Hunting ~ Rare Devil

Since we're just gonna be pounding on four bosses in a row this time around, let's learn something actually new about them shall we?

Ya know what? I could care less about Nirvana...

So, I'm sure everyone already knows this already but Feng Huang here is a mistranslation. Suzaku's Chinese name is Zhe Que. Feng Huang is a phoenix, and one of the Ssu-Ling (four benevolent animals). Suzaku... is not a phoenix and is one of the Si Xiang (four symbols). The games insist that the Si Xiang and the Ssu-Ling are the same thing but they really, really aren't. They're similar but that's all.

I'm tired of worms... It's time for something meatier!

Anyway, the fight itself! Suzaku's probably the hardest of the four we'll be dealing with this time around. She's still not that big of a problem for one reason: she does not have Dekaja.

As you might expect, she also loves throwing Fire spells at you so we'll throw out Fire Drains the entire time.

Oh, and she's also immune to Physicals entirely so Makakaja helps immensely there.

She also doesn't technically have Dekunda either... but don't debuff her beyond -2 in any stat. Just... trust me on this one.

So, what CAN we use against her? Well, not Fire, Phys, Gun, Ailments, Light or Dark of course. Ice is our best bet by far since she's at least neutral to that.

Plus, y'know, Cocytus is the most useful by far since it has a chance to freeze her.

Bufudyne helps out there too. It's also about the same amount of damage for a little less MP.

Once she loses about a quarter of her HP, Suzaku changes things up a bit.

You ruffled them! That's so wrong! Squuuaaa---

From this point, she adds both mid-tier Fire spells and Power Waves to her repertoire... but if you put up fire barriers she now doesn't hit them head on like a dumbass. Instead, she just throws physicals at you.

This option is much more preferable all things considered!

But, hey, remember what I said about debuffs? Lets push that button now.

If we did this in the first stage of the fight, nothing would have happened but now things have changed.

If she starts the second stage of the fight with -3 or -4 in a stat, or you drop her to that point after the second stage begins...

Squuuuaaaaawk!!!

She gets very, VERY angry and flies into a Psycho Rage.

She also uses Dekunda in this circumstance, and in this circumstance only. So pushing her to -2 is safe and viable.

...After that, in a move that should seem VERY familiar she uses Makakaja four times in a row.

She then throws a Maragidyne at you. Unless, y'know, you put up a Fire Drain barrier.

This hurts a fair bit, so that barrier sounds like the thing to do, right?

Well, no. Because then she just throws a couple Megidolaons at you in a row.

And they actually hurt more than the Maragidynes even including weakness prodding.

So, gonna avoid that one then. And just smack her down to half HP the old fashioned way.

SQUUUAAAAWK!

The third, and functionally final, stage of the fight just changes her moveset to be much nastier. Of course, she now throws out Tarukajas of her own.

She's also now replaced those Power Waves with the much more powerful Bloodbath and she likes spamming it several times in a row too.

...Granted, when she's at -1 Attack and we're at +4 Defence it doesn't seem that impressive (also Serph has Resist Phys here). If you let her get away with Tarukajaing a lot for some reason then it becomes an actual threat though!

Still, even with all that it doesn't matter too much if you manage to freeze her since then you can cut through her HP VERY fast!

...Hopefully faster than I do, since if you bring Executioner for when she IS frozen you can annihilate her in no time at all.

Once Suzaku's down to her last quarter of HP, she adds one new attack but it's not really a new part of the fight.

She's also more than kind enough to spend her entire turn beforehand just saying this one line of dialogue. Every time she does this it indicates that its coming next.

So you might think it's going to be like some kind of super powered Fire attack right?

...Haha nope! It's just HP Thief! But with a bit of a twist this time around.

It actually deals some damage to us and its damage is variable to a point. It always drops whoever it hits to around half their max HP.

Not sure why she even bothers. If you're like level 80+ it might be an issue, I guess, but if you're that high and doing this she shouldn't even get a chance to do it!

All in all, Suzaku's actually very easy if you don't panic and have even a small iota of a plan. And, again, she's the hardest of the four bosses we're dealing with this time too.

End

Our real reward for dealing with this, is the Crimson Orb. On its own it does absolutely nothing but sit in our key items looking pretty.

That's Svadhisthana dealt with, so next up is Manipura. Just gonna go through all these in the same order we did originally since that makes the most sense.

In this case, we want to be to the far west past Gate 6. We want that small indoor corridor area where we got a Power Noise ages ago.

I'm not even sure why nameless generics are trying to fight these guys. It doesn't even make them seem menacing either!

Anyway, this guy's rude as hell and standing on a table in an otherwise empty room.

Optional Boss: Beast Byakko

Hunting ~ Rare Devil

Hey, Bai Hu's actually right for this guy's name. Hurray!

...Unfortuantely, that's where the accuracy ends. He's also how we know for a fact that these guys are NOT the Ssu-Ling at all.

I knew that if I devoured your men, you would eventually show up. Nothing personal, but I cannot remain in this hellish prison. ...Prepare yourselves.

There is NO tiger in the Ssu-Ling, white or otherwise! Instead, there's some chimera thing called a Qilin. There is, however, a white tiger of the west in the Si Xiang. And his name is Bai Hu/Byakko...

Anyway, Byakko here is... probably the second easiest of the bunch. He doesn't have any particularly threatening attacks nor does he have any nasty resistances or anything.

His attacks kind of hurt at first I guess, especially when you realise this is -1 vs +2... except that's where his threats end. He CAN Dekaja and Dekunda unlike Suzaku but he doesn't do it overly often and never until the end of the fight anyway.

Unsurprisingly, he also throws out Force spells sometimes. But his magic is nowhere near as good as his physicals so whatever.

He, um, he also gets hilariously unlucky and I accidentally skip a third of the fight completely! :v:

also he DOES resist physicals so this would totally be a oneshot if he didnt

thats embarassing

Oh and to give you an extra incentive to not use Physicals, Byakko quite likes to counter them often. Which, uh, does not matter.

BUT WAIT! Let's pretend for a second I did not just skip a chunk of the fight in one fell swoop.

The start of the fight is super goddamn easy and really boring. His first turn is ALWAYS spent using Physical attacks and skills. So, 2 Taunts and a Phys Repel it is then?

And his second is to always cast Force spells. And then back to Physicals and back to Force... etc etc.

So this is incredibly predictable and abusable. Of course, we don't throw up Force Repels because Byakko drains that.

This method makes it easy to hit stage 2 of the fight easily enough. Which, like with Suzaku, just consists of adding new slightly more potent moves to his repertoire.

He also becomes less predictable and more likely to throw out Force spells unless you try to drain them. Then he MIGHT still use them but significantly more likely to hit you with Physicals.

He only adds Shock Wave to his magical attacks since he uses (Ma)Zanma beforehand anyway.

Physicals become more threatening since he likes to smash you with Skull Cleave. And if you tried to be clever and double-Taunt before and never Dekaja'd? After all, that way you can benefit better... but now it's going to bite you now and bite you hard.

Taking nearly 400 damage a hit is quite hard to come back from when he can throw out 3 in a row without issue.

If, however, that doesn't happen and you drop him to half HP the fight enters its final stage.

Well, it looks like this is it. But, I'm gonna go down fighting!

Much like Suzaku, he gets actually almost dangerous now. He starts throwing out Zandynes for his regular spells now. No more of this Zanma or Shock Wave nonsense.

He also quite likes to buff himself which is a bit of a problem since he doesn't use Bloodbath here. No, he uses Executioner. Since that's what WE use to slice through bosses in no time we know is a massive problem.

So best to avoid that one then!

This is also when he tries to Dekaja/Dekunda but it's too little too late at this point.

In spite of sounding like a massive problem come the end stges of the fight, Byakko is actually not at all threatening in the least. He gives you free reign to buff and debuff how you see fit until the end stages of the fight but by then he's too weakened to mount a proper counterattack.

End

Once again, our real reward is an orb that on its own does absolutely nothing but sit in our inventory waiting for its moment. That makes two...

So next we'll be heading off back to Anahata again.

All the way back to the third floor and near the side entrance.

Much like before, there was a conspicuously empty room right past the wall that was here before.

I wonder what it was like for this guy, just standing in an empty almost featureless room. Waiting for us to come in...

Optional Boss: Dragon Genbu

Hunting ~ Rare Devil

Gui Xian is not even a thing. Not in the Ssu-Ling nor the Si Xiang. Xuan Wu, however, is. As is Genbu... only they're both in the Si Xiang. And are both the same thing. SMT games are really bad at translating these guys somehow.

...Except in Imagine (when that was still around) of all things for some reason.

We? I believe I did all the work.

...Also the biggest reason this fight takes as long as it does is because Genbu does not like to shut the gently caress up. Ever. It wouldn't be a problem if it was funny and not a bad comedy skit.

Can I help it if I require 9-10 hours of sleeps per day?
You mean in addition to the 12 hours you get each night?
What can I say? Carrying an oversized worm around takes a lot out of me.

Anyway, Genbu here is probably maybe the second hardest of the bunch. Maybe the hardest if you have no magic at all but that's your own fault.

Even though it seems like a bad idea, I came in here and immediately had Serph use Power Charge. Genbu resists Physicals like Byakko did... but on a whole new level.

He also inexplicably does not resist Elec. But that's fine and dandy.

Unlike the previous two, Genbu quite likes to buff himself in the first stage of the fight.

And this goes for both physical and magical attacks too.

It doesn't really matter too much at first, though. Genbu keeps his attacks to low level Earth spells and regular physicals for the most part.

Anyway, let's say for the sake of argument that this is Serph's strength at the moment. What if he was to use Executioner after a Power Charge at this level?

It's emphatically not worth it at all. So, why bother with that Power Charge before? You'll see.

Also buffing and debuffing is a complete waste of time in this fight too. Buffing especially...

Yeah, you. What did you just do?
Don't pretend to be innocent. Now, tell me what you just did.
I think they just took a cheap shot at us when we weren't looking.
You did, didn't you!? Oh, now I'm angry! No manners whatsoever... We oughtta give them a taste of their own medicine! That'll teach 'em not to be so trigger happy!

Shut up, slow-poke! I'm making an important point here!
*sigh* Let's get on with this so I can take a nap.

...Thankfully that long spiel only happens the first time you buff. Buffing also makes Genbu replace his first action with Dekaja. Debuffing does the same with Dekunda to a point and never has any dialogue associated with it either.

Of course, since Genbu has no resistances to Ice we can just pelt him with Cocytus until he freezes.

Then Serph hits him with the real Executioner. That is so satisfying seeing over 1000 pop out of Genbu from a physical attack, you have no idea.

As you might expect, he drains Earth spells. So the best way I figured out to deal with him from this point on is to cast Earth Repel.

No, really. You'll see!

Listen, they're laughing at us over there. We gotta do something about it!
Uh... This might be more than we can handle.
Shut up, you coward! Fight like a demon!
........ Come on!!

See, from this point on Genbu always begins his turns by casting Magic Repel. This is mostly to force you into having to punch him with pissweak physicals (or just use Almighty stuff).

Buffing makes him override this with Dekaja instead. That sounds nice but its actually kinda slow and ineffective! Also means you're going to tank a ton of damage anyway.

Especially since his second turn here is usually, but not always, either Mind or Power Charge. Needless to say, he will never follow up a Mind Charge with a physical attack or Power Charge with a spell.

And, like the other two, he prefers to cast spells from this point on. Feels like he does it even more often when you throw up Earth Repel, since y'know he drains Earth and all.

...Except, he doesn't remember to take into account his own Magic Repel! Which means his spells get blasted back to him, he gains no health out of it AND his own repel is gone too.

Of course, he doesn't *always* use spells here. He can totally use physical skills too which in this case means that he throws Gates of Hell at us. Pretty glad that didn't happen!

And, of course, you can totally debuff him too. Normally this just makes him replace his first action with a Dekunda immediately. Here? It gives us his third phase a little early. Kind of.

See, in both the third phase and whenever you debuff him in the second he opens with Rage instead of anything else.

In this case, that's so he can Dekunda without caring too much. In the third phase, that's so he can hit you twice along with his buffs and Dekaja/Magic Repel. He never gets smart enough to do it to do both of them...

But he does Dekunda and Magic Repel this way. Disappointing but I guess he's too smart for things that directly affect him?

The third phase here happens when he's at a quarter health left, by the way.

Also he gets kind of easier then, since he replaces Gates of Hell with Bloodbath.

...Admittedly he does it twice in a row but still. The instant death chance via Petrify makes Gates of Hell much worse.

End

I realise I just straight up didn't let him enter it, but considering the only efficient way to hurt Genbu is when he's frozen (or by being very high levelled and having insane Mag and Mind Charge) it's better to just twist the knife when you can!

You know the drill by now. This makes three orbs, only one left and you're all smart people. I'm sure you know who has the last one.

Speaking of which, they're over at Ajna so let's go and deal with them at last.

We want the red configuration for this, so we'll just immediately jump into it.

This where the yellow wall we want is after all.

Genbu and Byakko were also behind a single yellow wall, but Suzaku was behind two red ones for some reason. Which is really weird.

Ah well, at least this guy was able to keep himself entertained with the piano here.

Optional Boss: Dragon Seiryu

Hunting ~ Rare Devil

...Well, Long IS part of Seiryu's chinese name. Part of it. The full thing is Qing Long. Closest of the three wrong ones at least.

The easiest way to get to Nirvana... is to devour the last remaining Tribe leader. Hahaha, you saved me the trouble of finding you... Now, you'll be devoured!

Seiryu... tries to be the hardest of the lot. He's actually the easiest though. Because he's a predictable joke. Because of this, we don't have to give a poo poo about anything he does because he's the only one with a fixed pattern.

So a Taunt and two Tarukajas now. Seiryu DOES resist physicals, but only in the same way that Byakko does. It's really not a problem at all and since he absorbs Ice that's for the best because he can't be frozen.

Come Seiryu's own turns, he shows his limits immediately. His first turn is always two Makakajas in a row.

And then a Mind Charge of his own. It's really obvious what's coming next...

So we just Taunt and 1x Tarukaja this time around. Putting up an Ice Drain shield instead of going to +4 Attack.

Seiryu opens with Mabufudynes when he goes on the offense. And absolutely nothing else.

This sounds like it could be a problem if you don't deal with his buffs but!

Since we throw up Ice Drain and he doesn't care, that comes out as if he just cast Mediarahan on us. How generous.

Of course, if we don't throw up drains and instead buff our defence and cripple his offence instead, the damage gets a little lower but could still hurt a lot.

Since the only stats here that really matter are our strength vs his defence, the third turn for us consists of Power Charge, the last Tarukaja we need and then skipping a turn to smash Seiryu's face with Executioner.

Nicely enough, just a single Executioner here won't push him to stage 2 of the fight. Unless, y'know, it crits. And if he gets a third turn in phase 1, he uses to cast Dia twice.

Much like Ananta, this is just a generic low and bad Dia. Not sure why he even bothers.

At least he follows it up with Debilitate which is something I guess. Could maybe miss with an Executioner now, but I wouldn't count on it.

But, now it's our turn to feast!

Phase 2 is a bit different, or at least adds something a bit different. Normally he Tarukajas here, but since he's at +4 Attack already he uses HP Thief instead.

It, um, doesn't matter anywhere near as much as Suzakus though. It technically heals more (sometimes) since he does it twice but the damage isn't as good so he has to focus fire to pretend to matter.

And, of course, he now has Power Charges too. It's easy enough to guess which is coming; Tarukaja leads to Power Charge and Makakaja leads to Mind Charge.

His main physical attack is Revelation which is potentially an okay threat for its Mute added effect.

It doesn't really matter too much and with +4 Defence, its damage is mitigated a decent chunk too.

If he gets that off successfully, he follows it up with a not-Charged Mabufudyne.

Likewise, in phase 1 if you survive his Mabufudyne and don't drain/repel it then he follows with Revelation.

Since he adds physical now, and highlights very clearly which is coming and when you can just add Phys Repel (Attack Mirrors in this case) instead of Ice Drain where appropriate.

No... This... can't be!

Seiryu's third phase is basically more of the same but with a couple quirks to it. Since he entered it with a Power Charge, he got confused and tried to Power Charge again.

Seiryu is not bright.

At least he's smart enough to add Dekundas at this stage. If you sit around for ages and let him have the chance to do so.

No Dekajas though! Or at least none that he ever bothered with in the several attempts I had trying to get him to do something different.

He doesn't really run on a pattern in phase 3 so he doesn't heal and Debilitate at fixed times. Instead he just Diaramas twice whenever he feels like it and then Debilitates.

At least this way he gets back a not-poo poo amount of HP. He's finally trying!

He even throws out Taunts of his own at this point. This seems like it could hurt since he does his charges and leaves them for a while sometimes now. He doesn't always follow them up immediately now.

Since he Taunts now, he can actually really hurt with those Mabufudynes jeez.

He also sometimes spend a turn both charging and attacking. He'll open with Rage and then -Kaja twice in a row, use the relevant Charge and then IMMEDIATELY hit you with Mabufudyne or Revelation.

...I think he might actually only do that if you drain/repel something in the third phase but I swear he could do it regardless. Still no matter how many times I tried to test that to get him do it, he always ended up killing himself in the process. :v:

So, that's Seiryu. Tries to be intimidating and threatening but in the grand scheme of things is actually secretly the biggest pushover in a loooooong time.

Go figure, huh?

End

And with that, we have our fourth and final orb too. Now that we've gotten all four, we can put them to use and just in time too. All four of the Si Xiang were pretty focused on devouring us to reach Nirvana, and Seiryu was kind enough to let us know that's because of Huang Long...

...wait hang on these two were not here before

Sir, may I ask you something? You've... been inside there before, haven't you?
That building? ...Yes.

I want to meet him, but I totally freeze up when I try to go inside.
Squeee! Maybe he'll give me his phone number!
--? His what? What are you talking about?

There's a demon with "beautiful silver wings" inside Ajna? Well... that's obviously not going to be Huang Long since he doesn't exactly have wings at all.

And Huang Long had a predilection for Nirvana...

So he's probably at Sahasrara. Easiest way to tell for sure is to just go and find out.

I d-didn't... talk, but... this is what... he did to me...

...Okay, that almost definitely IS going to be Huang Long. So we have him somewhere in the temple and someone with beautiful silver wings at Ajna.

Well, we'll deal with the temple second because I'm not climbing it three times. So back to Ajna we go!

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Ha, I never thought about using Earth Repel to remove Genbu's Magic Repel, I had to make do with almighty attacks.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Yeah, these guys may be easy, but Genbu at least takes a bit of cleverness to figure that one out. In my book, that makes him hardest.

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Herein I have explained the operation of the sun.
It's worth noting these guys Super Drain their own elements and recover a lot more than they would normally take in damage.

Not that it'll ever matter, but there you go.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ooh, optional secret boss. I hope he at least gives you a new mantra instead of a key item.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Glazius posted:

Ooh, optional secret boss. I hope he at least gives you a new mantra instead of a key item.

There are a pair of new mantra to be had from optional bosses still, yes.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Semi-requisite weekly not quite dead yet post. Have update actually half-done already; meant to finish it today, but I kept getting distracted by, uh, Strange Journey instead. Probably finish tomorrow and post on Tuesday.

...Gonna try and put an end to these constant delays sooner rather than later. The entire cause basically boils down to me being a lazy buttface so that should be easy to fix at least.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

You are actually a buttface for playing Strange Journey over a far superior game like this or Barbie Horse Adventures or really anything. :colbert:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Alright, so we're heading right back to Ajna immediately. Trying to find this strange demon with beautiful, silvery wings and all. In order to get him to appear in the first place, we do need to speak with the two ladies outside the base proper.

...And in order to get THEM to appear, we need to have beaten all four of the Si Xiang and have the Red Ring. Just beating Orochi isn't enough on its own.

Anywho, once all that's done, we just go to the white configuration.

Thanks to Ajna being really small, it's quite easy to actually find this guy.

And he just so happens to be hanging out in the courtyard.

Big Battle ~ Prelude

You bastard! Did you... Did you devour Laura!?
No, I didn't do it.

We can also totally just lie and tell him we did, but unsurprisingly that leads to the same thing:

The random newbie opts to try and murder the crap outta us. Sorry dude, but you gotta die now.

Optional Boss: Aerial Metatron

Big Battle

Alright, so our first optional boss du jour is the highest ranked angel bar none.

As you would expect, he does quite like to Dekunda if you try to debuff him too much. Too much can be -4, -1 or anywhere in between. He doesn't do it too often but he can spam it a lot if he feels like it!

He also DOES Dekaja sometimes. But the emphasis is on sometimes. He won't do it too often normally, and on average maybe only once or twice a fight. You can buff pretty freely but if he does get Dekaja happy, he gets VERY Dekaja happy.

Also, from Power Charged Executioners, he takes around 2.5k damage on average (at +4 Str vs -2 Def). Considering he has 16,500 that makes it pretty easy to slice through him.

...Resistances? Oh, uh, Metatron kinda has none. Not really. Immune to light, dark and ailments, sure, but that's just regular boss stuff.

Attack-wise, he mostly likes to spam either Mahamaon or Maragidyne. Neither is a particularly big threat, so there's not really much of a need to worry about setting Null Expel on everyone or anything.

He also does sometimes try and smack you upside the head with a Revelation but its only more of a threat for the chance to Mute.

...Y'know if you still don't have Null Mute by this point anyway. Its damage is quite underwhelming, especially since by the time he bothers to try it you'll probably have a decent number of Rakukajas in play anyway.

After he drops below 10,000 HP, he does change things up a bit at least. Mainly picks up a couple nasty new tricks.

For instance, at this point he'll Makakaja twice in a row. If he was at -2, this is a good time to Debilitate to push Magic down to -1 again and everything else to -3.

Of course, he'll also try and Megidolaon you sometimes. It's not very threatening on its own though.

It's also in this middle stage that he picks up his unique spell. The fire of the mountain where Moses received the ten commandments is sort of threateni-

...oh. :saddowns:

See, Fire of Sinai IS actually a really dangerous and potent attack. Problem is, its random Almighty damage. So it could ruin you or it could hit one guy once.

N-No... I...

Once he hits critical, Metatron changes things up again.

This is beginning to sound awful familiar.

Lau...ra...

At this point, he'll let you know when he's going to prepare something nasty. This line of dialogue occurs whenever he's going to double Makakaja... sometimes...

And immediately afterwards, I hope you're Rakukajad and he's either been Debilitated a lot or at least Dekajad! Because he'll Mind Charge and IMMEDIATELY...

Hit you with a powered up Fire of Sinai. If he's at base Magic and you're at 4x Rakukajas this can still deal a ton of damage.

And, of course, even a Mind Charged Megidolaon can get VERY dangerous!

But on the whole, he's really not all that threatening unfortunately. Kind of a shame considering he's, y'know, Metatron.

End

Ajna

The reward for this one is the Seraph Quill and... I'm sure you know where this is going by now.

Right into the Terminal to give us the Gyokuza mantra.

In terms of offence... Gyokuza is probably the best mantra. Fire of Sinai is relatively cheap for a Mega damage Almighty attack that hits multiple times. It has the potential to deal the most damage out of every attack in the game which is nice too.

Repel Expel and Death are nice but they're not massive game changers like Repel Element could be. They're also not really worth it but it could always be worse...

*sigh* Major bummer. I'm not sure my heart will ever recover from the shock.
Come on, cheer up. Let's have a sleepover and eat ice cream until morning.
--? What are you talking about? ...Sounds fun, though.

So back to Sahasrara it is. And, of course, getting the guy here to appear we need to beat all four of the Si Xiang and talk to the Embryon redshirt outside who had the crap beaten outta him.

Spider's String ~ The Second Movement

We'll also take this opportunity to highlight just why having to run through the temple more than once sucks. There are four Large Terminals so it doesn't sound too bad. #4 is the highest in the place, of course.

That drops us off at just after where Garuda and Jatayu's boss versions were. That still leaves a lot of the dungeon to crawl.

So, at 12,530ft there's a couple of "secret" areas that I skipped past. Mostly because, uh, I couldn't remember which one led to the boss fight and which ones didn't.

...What? I can't exactly be expected to remember absolutely everything!

The map is kind enough to sort of indicate by proximity that you might just be missing something. And since this is a teleporter heavy area...

This one just leads to an unnecessary Revival Gem and the one small terminal we skipped over before.

So on the other side of the first area, there's another teleporter that flings us through a wall.

Sadly, this one just leads to a Fusion Cell. Not even a healing terminal here or anything.

That just leaves one in the next area of the floor. It doesn't seem like there's anything here but that's how you know its the right spot!

The wall is an illusory wall and it has a teleporter sitting behind it.

That one flings us through the wall to the east and drops us off exactly where we want to be.

Face-to-face with a red wall. Pretty safe bet that we've found it!

If that's not enough, how about a roboguard who's been obliterated?

Which is incredibly unimpressive but it fits the pattern.

As does the "hey there's a boss fight here!" message. Well, let's go.

Big Battle ~ Prelude

Is it the members' strength... or is the leader's...? I will learn as we battle.

Optional Boss: Dragon Huang Long
Note: because of this fight's dumb gimmick there are parts of this video just removed wholesale - you are missing nothing...

[ Optional Boss: Dragon Huang Long (Full)
but if you really want to see the full 10 minute affair including the dull bits just to see what nothing you missed here you go

Hunting ~ Comrades

So, Huang Long is the only boss of this entire cavalcade of optional ones to get the initiative. He always gets the first action in this fight and that's actually a minor problem. See, the first like three turns are the hardest part of the fight!

Because he can do basically anything he likes and there is absolutely no way to prepare for it. An opening Mamudoon or Mahamaon are very rare but totally possible.

Hell once I had him open with two Megidolaons in a row. That was astoundingly unlikely to happen but it did anyway!

...Although a Mamudoon isn't as threatening as it sounds since Huang Long kinda sucks.

Mostly he'll just use his eye lasers to shoot you once and then Tarunda at the start though.

His second turn is exploitable. See, Huang Long (like all the recent bosses) switches phases throughout the fight but not at HP gates. He starts in a support phase which he's only in for 3 turns and its the only one where he can Dekunda and Dekaja.

The trick is that he will ALWAYS do it if there are any buffs and/or debuffs in play. So if you spend your first turn abusing that he becomes much easier already.

He'll also only do it in the first two turns of this phase.

His third turn (and third turn in the support phase period) is always a Celestial Ray opener. He doesn't care about buffs or debuffs here.

Celestial Ray is Huang Long's big unique attack. It deals Mega tier Almighty damage but hits everyone once. The real catch is that it can inflict any and every ailment in the game.

Now, ailment in this case means stuff that Cielo is weak to. So Charm, Poison, Mute, Sleep etc. are all fair game. It will never inflict Curse or Stone.

There are ways to make this completely unnecessary but you only really need Null Mute, Charm, Panic and Nerve to completely shut him down. Sounds like a lot to cover but it's actually not an issue. Don't exactly need a lot of attacks here.

See, Huang Long's main gimmick is... that he's a barrier changing boss. Everytime this message appears, he switches around to one of four elemental phases; Fire, Ice, Force or Earth. For some reason he doesn't have an Elec phase.

Point is, which one he uses and when is random. He likes Fire the most it seems but that's not a problem. The problem is that he resists everything when he's in these phases. The sole exception is the element he uses. Which he drains, of course. He does not give himself a weakness to its antithesis this way either.

And the only way to know which one he's in beyond throwing spells at random is to see which one he uses. And he only uses the Ma-dyne too. This sounds like a problem since he very, very rarely uses spells but its not really.

Remember that he can only Dekaja and Dekunda in the support phase. He cannot do them in the elemental phases. You can chill at +4 in everything and drop him to -4 in everything and he still won't do it.

He'll try and debuff you with Tarundas, Sukundas and Makandas (no Rakundas though!) sometimes but Makanda is like a free turn since it doesn't matter.

Of course, he can buff himself but only in very limited ways. And by limited I mean Tarukaja very, very rarely and Makakaja slightly less rarely.

Now, when I said he resists everything in this phase?

That includes Almighty. Huang Long is one of like three enemies to resist Almighty.

He's not QUITE as resilient as Genbu was when it comes to Physicals, but he's still very tanky. This is at +4 with Power Charge vs -4 and that still came out as sub-300 damage.

For reference, he has 20,000 HP.

So, what do you do then? In his support phase he might not be as resilient but you're better off gaming his AI then. He also only enters it when its the start of the fight and sometimes after a very special other one.

Not this one, though. When he pulls out a scream (as noted by the !! at the end), he's entering whats best thought of as his all-out-attack phase. He's not elementally inclined here, he doesn't dick around doing nothing of interest...

And instead focuses on doing an all-out-attack by trying to blast you every single turn with Celestial Ray.

...The problem for him is that when he does this, he doesn't just lose the resistances. He becomes functionally weak to everything (except light, dark and ailments obviously) without actually being weak to them. Essentially he takes double damage which is how you can do stuff like this.

The problem for you is that when he enters this is completely random. If he does it too early, you won't be prepared enough to handle it and you will probably die. If he does it too late, you're spending loving ages sitting around doing nothing because he can't hurt you and you can't hurt him either.

And when he leaves it is equally as random. He can stay in it for one turn. He can stay in it for five. Choice is his alone. Whenever he does leave it, he'll always enter a perfect-defense phase. This is the only time he does it and he never switches to anything else after attacking.

And when I say perfect, I mean perfect. He takes no damage at all from anything. Physical, Magical, Almighty... he doesn't care. Immune to the lot.

After this, his phase change is random again. Might be an elemental one, might be all-out-attack again... might be support. Usually it's support since this is the only time he can switch into it. And if he does then he'll Dekaja and Dekunda immediately.

And there's the problem with the fight. You can slowly chip away but until he lets you, you can't really hurt him. You do not get to win until the game decides that you do so. Which can take a very, very long time. It's entirely down to chance and that's just no fun.

To say he's one of the three final optional bosses (four if you count Beelzebub) that's quite disappointing. A fight that comes purely down to a test of patience rather than skill or anything is just boring.

You might disagree with that and think that trying to survive in the interim is fun and challenging but, again, you can fully buff and debuff and there's dickall he can do about it. No matter how you slice it, Huang Long is a badly designed fight.

End

And then to make things just a little more annoying, you don't get your reward immdiately. You have to run a little bit further in first. There's no point to it. There's no random encounters here, no actual danger, no threat at all.

Just an extra room and a redundant red wall. Why is this even here? You can't get to this room without it, and you can't exactly lose it before now so it's just needless padding.

Our reward for all this is the Golden Orb which, yeah, gets us yet another new mantra.

And the Five Gods mantra is not worth the hassle, frankly.

Phys Absorb is so pointlessly niche I'd rather they didn't bother. Celestial Ray is the most expensive non-combo skill and its not really deserving of the cost. It hits pretty hard, sure, but it hits once and maybe sometimes inflicts random ailments.

It gets outdamaged by Fire of Sinai. It gets outdone in added effects by Death Flies. It costs 2 million macca for a bad skill and a useless passive!

But, hey, it's alright. No need to buy it anyway; never gonna use it so just save your money for something more useful.

Plus, y'know, we've only beaten two of the de facto final three optional bosses. Our final one is going to take us back to A--

Alright, so, we're at the top of the Karma Temple. We're given a prompt before we dive through the final door and meet what lies within...

Let me think.
Is there something on your mind, or are you afraid? There's a reason we'd gotten this far, and received the help of so many others. Don't forget that.

That's a good point, so just need to make sure I'm fully healed, make sure I've got everyone's skills setup and now...

I'm ready.
So am I. I'm sure Heat, Argilla, and Cielo feel the same way. Let's go, Serph.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 24, 2015

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I can't think of a single game where Metatron isn't a disappointing boss, which is weird for how SMT3 hyped him up to be tougher than Beelzebub.

He suffers from the standard "Law gets no resists" syndrome, as you noted, which happens in most games.

Also, the reason Huang Long gets no Elec is because he's emulating the Four Gods. There's no Elec god in this one.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 12, 2014

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Ah, "Dork around until the game decides it's okay for you to finish the fight now" battles. Everyone's favorite sort of boss. Actually overall I'm finding most of these optional bosses pretty lame compared to the required ones, aside from the numbers being a bit bigger. I think blitzing this game to get to the second was the right decision.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Tallgeese posted:

Also, the reason Huang Long gets no Elec is because he's emulating the Four Gods. There's no Elec god in this one.

Huh, that... actually makes sense to a point.

Dunno why I never thought of it (other than "I'm an idiot") though!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Is he (final bonus boss) NG+ only or are you simply leaving him for last?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

They really should've had let you fight Megatron as soon as you get the ring after Orochi, by forcing you to conquer the temple AND defeat the four beasts before him, it's always going to feel like a pushover.

Ugh, Huang Long, the only boss that made me look for a strategy in a guide, I just didn't have the patience to let him destroy me dozens of times writing down what he did to try to figure him out.

Omobono posted:

Is he (final bonus boss) NG+ only or are you simply leaving him for last?

It's NG+ only and I'm sure Dragonatrix would just skip it even if he wasn't because it's absolutely not worth the amount of effort required to defeat it. A paragraph describing it and a link to someone else's YouTube video should be more than enough.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

We're about to meet the best character in these two games, yay!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Petiso posted:

It's NG+ only and I'm sure Dragonatrix would just skip it even if he wasn't because it's absolutely not worth the amount of effort required to defeat it. A paragraph describing it and a link to someone else's YouTube video should be more than enough.
Considering the amount the criticism he leveled at the bonus bosses in this game being too easy he really can't get away with not doing the final optional boss.
Also I'm pretty sure he said he's gonna do it somewhere in the thread.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
I still have a save from right before fighting that particular boss. Not that I'd ever use it again. He's the only enemy in any game I've played that I'm actually scared to fight again.

After finally beating him, I decided to try challenging myself by fighting the story's final boss without using healing spells or items. Even still, it was comically easy in comparison.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Petiso posted:

Course if he does that he's slightly screwed for later. He purposely chose a few dialogue choices that will screw him out of content on the basis that he would choose the right ones on the ng+

Oops.

Unless he uses a different save I suppose. That would work.

Feinne posted:

Also has the best music.

Not entirely true. My first time playing this game, I beat all of the available bonus bosses, but I went into the last boss with a team that couldn't cover every element (oopsie)

I still won, but it was a skin of my teeth sort of win.

mauman fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 14, 2014

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Oh, there's no reason to doubt that I'm going to fight Him; that's been on the agenda since day 1. Plus, y'know, a paragraph of wordy bullshit doesn't fully encapsulate just how fun it is.

Before that!

I do have the last main game stuff recorded and mostly written (and it didn't take a week and a half either), but Youtube is being a butt and not letting me use the final video because of its length, despite my account being verified, since it's now inexplicably claiming otherwise. :shrug:

Edit: like this isn't a particularly major problem and I could deal with it in a myriad of ways but I'm lazy and don't like doing things differently where I don't need to.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

mauman posted:

Not entirely true. My first time playing this game, I beat all of the available bonus bosses, but I went into the last boss with a team that couldn't cover every element (oopsie)

You absolutely do not need this, specially if you are strong enough to beat the bonus bosses.

Dragonatrix posted:

Oh, there's no reason to doubt that I'm going to fight Him; that's been on the agenda since day 1. Plus, y'know, a paragraph of wordy bullshit doesn't fully encapsulate just how fun it is.

You are one crazy crazy man, I hope you already had a save file for that.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

mauman posted:

I still won, but it was a skin of my teeth sort of win.

Honestly, so long as you don't go into the final battle with NOTHING but Almighty skills because you're over leveled and too lazy to bother with weaknesses on random encounters you should be able to scrape out a win one way or another. Guess what I did on my first try? And even if you do end up doing the spoiled bit, you could still conceivably win if you were patient enough.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Both fights at least have One Weird Trick that makes them a complete joke.

I, uh, I won't be using it in the other fight (aside from briefly to show it off of course) because it makes it too dull. oops i guess i forgot :v:

But we'll get to that when we get to that. For now, update incoming...

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 21, 2014

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

After speaking to Gale and coming through to here, we can no longer turn back. We have only one way to go now, and it's further up.

The Top Floor

Silence

And when we do so, we're attacked by a rogue penultimate cutscene.

Angel might not have been around when Sera reached the top of the temple, but she is about to pop in...

Her method of travel is identical to when we first/last saw her too.

Well, except for the giant light pillar. That's a bit different.

It's also way too bright for Sera to look at. The Rakshasa back there gives no fucks though.

...Huh, that doesn't look like Angel. Too human.

Maelstrom

You caused me quite a bit of trouble.

Is it just me, or does she look... familiar?

If I go back, will you leave the Junkyard alone?
I do not like wasting time. Do you really think I'd agree to that, knowing what I plan to do through you?

Rakshasa is very clearly not amused here...

And Sera's even ballsy enough to use him to threaten her own life to get Angel to leave!

However...

...yes, that is sanskrit floating around that little virus ball

...no, i do not know what it says!

And it's a pretty powerful virus ball, since it makes Rakshasa freak the gently caress out and start to vibrate.

Because he's disintegrating! Jesus christ.

Since you show no signs of regret, I'll make this simple for you...

Angel has the better hand by far here and she knows it. Goddamn.

Silence

Meanwhile, just a little lower in the temple...

Before we can ponder the hexagon cloud things, the Karma Temple... no, the entire Junkyard begins to shake. Violently.

The actual clouds higher up begin to part ways...

What the hell?

And the ENTIRE JUNKYARD is being disintegrated rather quickly in the exact same manner Rakshasa was.

Everything is disappearing. Nothing is safe and none shall remain.

Regardless of whether it was the best place for defence...

Or the best place for offence.

Whoaa! Dis don't -- dis don't look good!

End

Our comrades are still down there!

Since this is the last time we can, we'll see what everyone else thinks about the world literally ending before their eyes!

If we don't hurry, den we'll be erased too!

It... can't be. I trust Sera.
Who else has such power? What could have happened to Sera...? ...Or, are you suggesting someone as powerful as Sera is responsible?

Can't you tell!?

Ah, Heat. Ever the one-track mind.

And basically right past him is our absolute very last time to heal, switch skills and use all those Noises I've been hoardi- pffft ahahaha yeah right. Let's just go do this thing.

End of the Junkyard
just watch this instead if you can - its pretty long because its like 3 cutscenes, the final boss and the credits!!

Silence

...How does one "delete" a person?

And as if to just put that off for longer, the gang turn up right at this exact moment.

Angel is in no way bothered by this, though. But now that she's here...

Gale sees the enigmatic crying lady
again. Fortunately, this time it has purpose beyong being weird and foreshadowy.

Namely, it helps Gale realise that he straight up lied to us before and that he DOES know Angel!

Thank you for coming. I intended on bringing you back but plans have changed. This matter no longer concerns you, so why dont you be good little children and leave?

Stop them.

And just from that one little sort-of command...

All five of the Embryon are frozen in place. Try as they might, they can no longer move...

Watercrown

Don't... you can't...

Despite being frozen in place, both Serph and Heat push against it and do slowly begin to move forwards. Very, VERY slowly.

Please stay back... Stay where you are, Serph.

But, it's in vain because just from blinking Sera adds extra pressure...

And forces them both to the ground.

Despite this, Angel is surprised by something...

Serph has too much protagonist in him to be stopped here. He pushes forward regardless, and in doing so his Atma is slowly being utilised.

Please stop, I beg you...

A demon epitomizes Karma in its simplest form. That should not be wasted. But, your hopes and beliefs are utterly worthless.

Silence

Well, there's a mistake if I ever saw one...

Because the gloves come off and Serph immediately goes full Varuna.

But, of course, it's not like he's the only one here who can transform.

Angel can too apparently and she has more control over it, only morphing one arm.

It's enough to parry Serph for the time being and force him to back off slightly.

did i mention before that mary elizabeth mcglynn is loving fantastic as angel

because she is

Anyway! Now the rest of the Embryon can move freely too.

And because they can, that means it is time...

Time to fight Angel after she's fully transformed!

Boss: Onmyo Harihara

Hari-Hara
hey look its one of the best three four tracks in the first game click it click it click it

So, Harihara gets her own unique race and its just for this one fight. Onmyo means that she is the God of Yin and Yang (its short for Onmyōdō which means "the way of yin and yang") and that makes perfect sense here. Harihara is the unity between Shiva and Vishnu who are the functional antithesis of one another. It's also derived from their names, as Hari is one of the many, many names of Vishnu and Hara is an early name for Shiva.

This is actually replicated in this fight with Harihara switching between two forms throughout the battle. She starts in a slightly more timid stage that functions as the Vishnu form. Before we see what it does...

We'll immediately send her packing to the Shiva form instead. Each form has 1000 HP but with a catch. She doesn't transform immediately; instead its done as a free action at the start of her turn. This is actually clever and prevents you from steamrolling her paltry 4000 HP in a single turn or two.

also the initial/vishnu form has dekaja and dekunda just so you cant do that too

the shiva one inexplicably doesnt so i guess you could blitz the remaining 3000 here

But I wouldn't recommend it! The second form is all about the offense; Genocide is nowhere near as impressive here as you would expect.

Its damage is based on her HP and she only has 1000 for all it cares so its actually pretty crap!

And since that's all that form gets to do, we'll switch back to Vishnu and... well, huh. Vanity is actually pretty bad potentially. It's like Celestial Ray but without dealing Almighty damage, so you might think it can trigger Cielo's weakness. It can't.

It does, however, still throw around the chance of any and every ailment. Same conditions as Celestial Ray, so no stone/curse/instant death here.

This is probably one of the more threatening things that could happen in this part of the fight.

Speaking of, here's a quick rundown of everything else she never got to do. Shiva-form can use all 5 elemental Ma-dynes. Only the Ma-s though; none of the single target variants.

She can also drop an Executioner which sounds like it's going to be seriously lethal and deadly.

But, y'know, this is after 2 Rakukajas so it's not that threatening. Also she doesn't charge up or anything.

...wait what

Vishnu form can use Hunger Wave. That's a bad thing!

it means ravana was completely worthless and not unique at all poor guy

Also, y'know, it's only done here because Sera's here too. Song of Grace is still the only way to cure it.

Now, of course, where'd the fun be if they didn't have unique skills? These are also how where the Shiva or Vishnu form ideas come from; Vaikunta here is short for Vaikuntha-loka which is the eternal home of Vishnu (and Lakshmi as his consort).

Here, it just deals a crap amount of Almighty damage and has a chance to petrify dudes.

Bhairava is a form of Shiva associated with absolute annihilation. It was created when Shiva got pissy with Brahma for stepping all up in his territory and wanted to kill him. It worked.

(i realise i am over-simplifying some of these a lot)

Here, it deals a loving ton and a half of Almighty damage. It's probably going to slaughter the poo poo out of whoever it hits... unless that little survival thing there happens.

There is a VERY small chance of this happening from any attack that would kill you. Instead, whoever was meant to die endures it and survives with 1hp. This also has the drawback of forcing them to revert to human. There is a passive called Close Call which claims to make this happen. It doesn't; it just makes it more likely.

its never ever ever worth using

You shall not escape this purgatory!

Anyway, Harihara here is super underwhelming. Has 4000 HP (functionally), and alternates between forms every 1000. After beating Shiva the second time, this stage of the fight ends.

But, of course, this IS the final boss we're talking about here. Ravana got two forms and he was basically some chump who was overhyped by the game to hell and back.

So, of course Harihara has an actual full on second form as well and unlike Ravana's it doesnt make her easier.

...Well, not directly. She IS laughably simple but for different reasons than Ravana.

It also does away with the "switching between two forms" thing and just mixes the two.

Final Boss: Onmyo Harihara (and 6 Cores)

Hari-Hara ~ The Second Movement
not as good as the first phase but its not too shabby either

So, Harihara here is a bit different to almost every other boss we've fought. Like Huang Long, her resistances kind of shift around during the fight but there's a catch.

First off, your buffs from the first part of the fight carry over to this part. Debuffs presumably do as well, but I always leave them to til now just in case.

So, Harihara at present reflects almost everything. Physical, Fire, Ice, Elec, Earth and Force are all repelled.

Harihara and her 6 cores here also massively resist Almighty.

Speaking of the cores, their offense is none-too-impressive. They use single target Dynes of their relevant element, or multi-target... mid tiers. So the one here that casts Bufudyne can alternatively cast Mabufula. Exciting.

See, the cores are an intrinsic part of the fight whether you like it or not. Each one is associated with an element, it repels that one by default and is neutral to the others. So long as one is alive, Harihara also repels that element. Getting rid of the Red Core makes Harihara vulnerable to Fire, for example.

The ideal way to handle this fight only requires TWO attacks. A single target of one element to get rid of a core, and a multi-target of the other element. So, if you want to prioritise Fire here, bring, i'unno, Bufudyne and Maragidyne. You win on the spot.

Defensively? Pffft, ahahaha. Get rid of the cores, and you can bring in anyone with any weakness uncovered. It does not matter one iota. There is no reason whatsoever to worry about having multi-element coverage here.

Since Serph is punchyman, I went for Revelation for my multi-target hitter.

Needless to say, it is quite effective!

...Each core has 450HP for reference. Harihara's is around 12,000.

Now, Harihara herself only gets 1 action. There is a maximum of seven possible actions in the enemy turn phase, since each Core gets one too. Harihara also happens to spawn in a core at the start of her turn if there is any dead.

This counts as a free action, so it doesn't use her turns up. Which is fair enough; if it didn't, she'd be even easier than she is already or she'd get 2 actions even if none were dead and that'd be too much to reasonably deal with.

When I said "a" core, I meant it by the way. She just spawns the one. And this is why you only need 2 attacks to win. Your ST attack now is used only if she spawns the core you need out of the way. Anything else, and your MT attack both removes the newly summoned core AND hurts Harihara in the process.

Attack-wise, she's not particularly impressive for the most part. She has the usual Dekunda/Dekaja affair which she'll use somewhat randomly whenever theres a single buff or debuff in play.

She also keeps Hunger Wave from the first phase of the fight. It's more of an annoyance here that drags things out than anything actually threatening though.

Her regular attack seems fancy...

But it just pokes everyone for minimal damage. Whatever.

Of course, she also kept Vanity. Needs something semi-threatening I guess.

...Oh and she DOES have a combo attack if theres two or more cores alive at the start of her turn. It just deals Almighty damage to everyone; its a little stronger than Megidolaon but not by much. She just never, ever wanted to do it for me this time though. I even went back and sat around for over half an hour trying to get her to do it and... nope. Even with all 6 cores there, she was more interested in failing to be effective with her regular attack than anything else.

Not really a hard fight, just a long one. For the final boss (...of the first half), Harihara is PRETTY underwhelming! Even if I didn't go out and trash the Si Xiang and Metatron, she'd be pretty simple and not worth worrying about.

Silence

so how about that ending

Fortunately, Angel was more concerned with beating us in a straight fight before (pfft she wishes) to use that virus-y ball thing. Now she remembers she has it and could use it whenever.

Instead, she just keeps it held out of the way up until Serph tries to kill her again.

Rather than block by parrying his attack again, she uses that thing instead.

It... doesn't quite end as she'd like, though. It does create a small explosion, but....

It sends Angel flying right into the side of that staircase.

Serph too, and it even has the added effect of demorphing him...

Only, uh, it also did that. And that don't look good!

Now... Everything will disappear... Nothing will stop it!

The temple itself is now breaking apart, and its not a slow thing either.

Everything around is tearing itself asunder.

I guess Gale trying to save Angel here makes sense, what with constantly seeing her in very brief flashback bits and all.

Speaking of which, when Angel looks at Gale...

She gets one too.

And then does accept his help, because she's actually confused by this. Huh.

Serph!

...well, poo poo

Serph!!

And from Sera yelling that, either as a quirk of the timing or her own doing, what remains of the temple just... explodes.

Surely Again...

The Junkyard is now gone.

What remained had just been destroyed, so now the Embryon, and Sera and Angel are just...

Floating in nothingness.

But, c'mon, you think that's going to stop Sera and Serph from trying to finish what they just started?

They get close. Very close, even.

Close enough to barely touch...

But, we're not exactly here for a perfectly happy ending now, are we?

...that doesnt mean it has to be super kingdom heartsy though

The Rain Stopped

if you watched the video you mightve stopped here there is a bit more post-credits!!

And so, that's (the main part of) Digital Devil Saga 1. You no doubt have some ideas of what just went on, but are probably very, VERY confused and have a ton of questions right now. Just about everything ever IS going to be explained in DDS2 when we get there...

But for now, how about something that looks very familiar. Just... in a weird and new setting.

And, like before, a naked Sera comes out from within. Only this time covered in some sort of tubing and liquid.

Meanwhile, somewhere else...

Serph's found his way to... somewhere and is wearing a very, very makeshift robe of sorts.

He's also having flashbacks to something we just saw mere minutes ago.

Needless to say, he's not happy about that at all. Gonna have to do something about being separated from Sera.

and the other embryon apparently but mainly sera

Wherever Serph is though, uh... to put it as scientifically as I can: poo poo be hosed, yo.

also the sun is a giant black sphere

thats pretty obviously bad!!

First we have something else to do. There's some stuff I missed before because of being an idiot or skipped over it for convenience. Theres some special mantras I never unlocked that let you do... very, very wacky and stupid things. There's also one - and exactly one - thing that is only available in New Game+ here.

Technically the only thing across both that is absolutely mandatorily New Game+ only. It brings with it a different question to answer. Some fight for law, some fight for justice, some fight for freedom. But why do you fight?

What is your Reason?

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 15, 2014

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The first video is private, you might want to change that.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Always something! Should be fixed now, thanks.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

If you think about it, all of Angel's lines are dumb as all hell but I didn't even realise it the first time because her voice actress sells the gently caress out of them.

Also I'm pretty her green sphere is a reference to Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (spoilers for endgame content of that game): The final boss is the same kinda sphere, only bigger and blue. Also destroying it in a secret ending ends the world, much like how destroying the green sphere pretty immediately wrecks the Junkyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Are we suppose to answer that question?

• Locked thread