Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
fishmech is the missing link between autsim and trains

:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

has anybody said blocktrain yet

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

vOv posted:

has anybody said blocktrain yet

http://blocktrain.org/

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

unpacked robinhood posted:

and when you add the time it takes to board a plane plus going somewhere that is actually a place as opposed to the 5 min it takes to get on a train that stops in the middle of the city

it doesn't take 2 hours to board a domestic flight and that's what you'd need for high speed rail to be faster from say chicago to nyc then taking a normal train out to the airport, getting on the plane, flying over, and taking another train.

high speed rail is largely a farce, everybody needs regular 80+ mph trains for commuting long before a high speed train between cities that people might use once or twice in their lives.

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

neonbregna posted:

a likely scenario is that driverless cars are maintained by some central authority and you just get on your iPhone and tell it where to pick you up and drop you off

thats a lot of cars to buy and maintain

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

Dr. Honked posted:

you fuckin mongeese tear yourselves to pieces whenever the bitcoin lols die down

read this at first as some kind of rental bicycle that falls apart once youre out of bitcoin

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

crusader_complex posted:

fewer cars than we have now though

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

it doesn't take 2 hours to board a domestic flight and that's what you'd need for high speed rail to be faster from say chicago to nyc then taking a normal train out to the airport, getting on the plane, flying over, and taking another train.

it does take this long in some cases but I think high speed rail is only worthwhile for closer-together cities like on the coasts

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Dr. Honked posted:

you fuckin mongeese tear yourselves to pieces whenever the bitcoin lols die down

caramba, honked again!

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

theflyingexecutive posted:

it does take this long in some cases but I think high speed rail is only worthwhile for closer-together cities like on the coasts

it is useful in the 400-500 mile range, shorter than that you are better off with just regular rail and longer than that and you're outcompeted by planes unless there's a change in taxes and subsidies that make the longer trip significantly better in price.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theflyingexecutive posted:

over on the east coast, having a continuous 120 mph would do well enough and that's a good way short of high speed rail, since the cities are so close together. like yeah boston to washington all the way through would be better at like a full 200 mph crusiing speed, but you have to make several major stops at intermediate cities on the way and right now it's looking like the main solution for stuff above nyc being slow is a new route that bypasses most of connecticut and rhode island

everywhere else cities start getting far enough apart that you quickly lose any time savings versus air travel, or may be just close enough to be practical, but there's nowhere near enough demand between them to justify a direct link between the cities on its own, and a longer distance route connecting one of them with other cities would need to bypass the middle city to have a reasonable route at high speeds.

like what's the point of having a bullet train between des moines and kansas city for the 5 people who need to get between them fast and often rather than building commuter rail in both to cover millions of people together, every day?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

TRAINS TRAINS UNGH UNGH UNGH MY PRECIOUS TRAINS *cums all over a picture of a train*

Trains are an integral part of bitcoin.

Read the whitepaper sometime

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
literally a retard it cant be unseen now

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Fiat Jesus hung out with felons and the disabled; Bitcoin Jesus cuts out the middleman and is a disabled felon himself.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

over on the east coast, having a continuous 120 mph would do well enough and that's a good way short of high speed rail, since the cities are so close together. like yeah boston to washington all the way through would be better at like a full 200 mph crusiing speed, but you have to make several major stops at intermediate cities on the way and right now it's looking like the main solution for stuff above nyc being slow is a new route that bypasses most of connecticut and rhode island

everywhere else cities start getting far enough apart that you quickly lose any time savings versus air travel, or may be just close enough to be practical, but there's nowhere near enough demand between them to justify a direct link between the cities on its own, and a longer distance route connecting one of them with other cities would need to bypass the middle city to have a reasonable route at high speeds.

like what's the point of having a bullet train between des moines and kansas city for the 5 people who need to get between them fast and often rather than building commuter rail in both to cover millions of people together, every day?

haha cool

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Nintendo Kid posted:

oh wow you can now do chicago to nyc by rail in 5 hours great why didn't you just fly for 2 hours, taking 30 minute commuter rail trains out and in to the airports
trains offer such a better travel experience that I'd gladly take a 5 hour train ride than a 2 hour flight.

also lol if you think cities have a 30 minute commuter rail travel time. go from Tribeca to Hyde Park and let me know how many hours you save over a 5 hour high speed rail trip while carrying your luggage onto and off of busses and trains

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

crusader_complex posted:

It's just a taxi service with computers instead of people driving the cars

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

theres just about nowhere that high speed rail is useful though.

normal 80 - 120 mph rail works just fine for commuter and intercity rail. and when you start going really long distances a 200 mph train still means you're going significantly slower than a plane so what's even the point. oh wow you can now do chicago to nyc by rail in 5 hours great why didn't you just fly for 2 hours, taking 30 minute commuter rail trains out and in to the airports

because you:

1)can't get from any nyc airport to manhattan in 30m reliably (no idea about Chicago)
2)can't get off a plane instantly
3)can't get a last-minute plane ticket without paying through the nose
4)have to go through security significantly increasing how early you need to get to the airport to be sure to make your flight with a sufficient degree of precision

once you factor in all of the time-wasters with flying it stops being as competitive for shorter flights if there's a good train available and once they're around the same time a train is like infinitely more convenient (plus you can get up and wander around a train)

that said the best situation for high-speed rail is the boston <-> dc corridor and that is indeed more an issue of better tracks than top speed of the train, but that's part of what a high-speed train is: better track infrastructure

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

evilweasel posted:

because you:

1)can't get from any nyc airport to manhattan in 30m reliably (no idea about Chicago)

something something rule 36

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

evilweasel posted:

You can't do this with trains, either. Or at least that was the case when I lived in Europe. You might be okay in places where the trains are owned and operated by the government

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
wouldn't it be easier to just decentralise autism?

and by decentralise i mean "quarantine autists on an island with fishmech with no public transport OR self-fellating cars"

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 16, 2014

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If we decentralized autism then Lowtax would die poor and alone. That's not what Satoshi wants

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

You can't do this with trains, either. Or at least that was the case when I lived in Europe. You might be okay in places where the trains are owned and operated by the government

amtrak if it's not Thanksgiving or Christmas I show up at the station and by the next train to boston/dc/nyc and never have a problem, and it's like $20 more at most than if it was prebought

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
woah i just heard that someone is arguing with fishmech, the smartest kid in mareica

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

someone buy satoshi an account so he can sperg about trains in the bitcoin thread

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

quote:

How is anyone surprised by this? I announced a long time ago that the total cost of the project would be around $1 million. This wasn't paid in a single lump sum -- it's paid monthly.
If you think that $100,000 per month for 4 highly-skilled full-time developers is a completely ludicrous rate, then you don't know anything about this business. It would be fair to argue that it's a high rate, though I'm not even sure that this is true. You probably walk past a dozen cheaper developers every day, but their skills/experience would be very different, so it's difficult to compare.
The goal of this project is to create forum software that directly competes with stuff like phpBB and SMF. This is a massive project that will be helpful not only for bitcointalk.org or Bitcoin, but for the Web community as a whole. The expense is justified.
Before I started this project, people complained constantly about the money just sitting around. Now people are complaining that I'm spending too much!? Make up your mind.
You don't have any right to influence how I spend forum money. I am not a politician, and you are not my constituency. If you didn't donate (pretty much everyone reading), then this issue is totally unrelated to you. If you did donate and you're disappointed at the way I'm spending money, then I'm sorry to hear that, and I will carefully listen to any suggestions you have, but the donation page has always said that donated money is managed by me. It is my responsibility to determine how to spend forum money. Moreover, I believe that the donators who oppose this project are the minority.
Any accusations that I'm "stealing" forum money is nonsensical. The money has always been transparently visible via the block chain. I'm clearly not using it except in the stated amounts. There is some room to question whether I get some sort of kickback from Slickage (I do not), and it's totally reasonable to argue against the wisdom of spending the money in this way. But I almost never see reasonable criticism -- I see insults and nonsensical accusations
Most forum money is from ads, not donations. The money from donations was typically worth far less when it was donated than it is now.
The code is here. The constant work on this code is evidence that I'm not just channeling the money through Slickage to pay myself (though it's impossible to completely prove that I'm not doing this). This code has been available for months, but I am amazed at not having received a single complaint about the actual code. I guess that means that either the trolls are too lazy to actually read the code or it's so good that no one can find even a single fault in it.
Remember that I was given varying degrees of control over bitcointalk.org, bitcoin.org, /r/Bitcoin, the Bitcoin alert key, etc. on separate occasions by different people. That is strong evidence (though obviously not proof) of my trustworthiness. But again, I'm not a politician and I don't particularly care whether you trust me or not. (I write these posts because I find it extremely annoying to be criticized for my attempts to help the Bitcoin community, especially when the criticism is just mindless nonsense.)
Before immediately believing criticism and downvotes against me, think about whether you're believing actual arguments or just ad hominem attacks and the popular opinion. Reddit is absolutely terrible for this kind of groupthink... I know from experience that if I caught this post early enough, my reply will get upvoted and I'll get many positive comments. If not, readers will believe "the crowd" and I'll get a bunch of hatemail. And then everyone will forget about this in 2-4 weeks and I'll have to do it all again...

quote:

[–]BeijingBitcoins 55 points 11 hours ago*
If you think that $100,000 per month for 4 highly-skilled full-time developers is a completely ludicrous rate, then you don't know anything about this business.
Okay, sure, if you are hiring super-top-of-the-line poached from Google engineers. Let's take a look at the team of four who are getting paid $25k A MONTH, EACH to "build new forum software" (that's three years in the works, mind you.)
Theymos continually insists that these master builders are the best that money could buy, he would never do such things as funneling money into his friend group.
Let's take a look at Theymos' proud A-Team of coders: http://slickage.com/
Whoa, hey, what's this? No contact info? No portfolio? Something fishy is going on. The only two links on the webpage are to a github page and a twitter profile. The twitter profile, curiously enough, only has 46 followers. For these guys to be commanding $300k/year salaries, they would have to be at the top of their field, right? Wouldn't that come with more uh, social standing and observable networking/references?
Let's take a look at the guys behind Slickage. I found them through the github page.
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/anthony-kinsey/55/141/17a - This guy's only credentials are a bachelor's degree and a consultant position at "eWorldES," a Honolulu-based "enterprise solutions" firm that boasts such prestigious clients as The Honolulu Advertiser and Catholic Charities Honolulu. Remember guys, this guy gets paid $300k a year.
https://github.com/FFAxKenny This guy, who is currently earning his bachelors degree at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. His personal website makes no mention of Slickage anywhere. I'm sure he writes great code for $300k a year, but I wonder why one of his most popular github repositories is of a Java implementation of the game Hangman.
Next up, we have "SomeoneWeird" https://github.com/SomeoneWeird He seems to have a bit more experience and more followers on Twitter, but still, no mention of Slickage anywhere.
The last guy, "WangBus" https://github.com/wangbus actually does mention Slickage on his page, but nothing stands out to me to indicate that this guy is somehow a top-coder. Also lives in Manoa, Hawaii.
In an AMA that theymos did one year ago, he wrote:
I am a 21-year-old computer science student in the US and an avid bitcoiner since early 2010.
Information on Theymos' real identity is difficult to come by, I was unable to find out where in the United States he resides. What do you want to bet that he lives in Manoa Valley, Hawaii?
Are we really to believe that these four not-particularly-remarkable guys in their early twenties, one not even out of college, and only one of the four apparently even employed at "Slickage", are each contributing enough to command a $300k/year paycheck?
Let's also remember that Theymos has been collecting these donations "to improve the forums" basically since the forum first began. At this point, the forum coffers hold millions of dollars worth of bitcoin, all controlled by this single unaccountable twenty-one year old, while the forum has never received an upgrade or a facelift, and has in fact been compromised by hackers several times in the last couple of years.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

evilweasel posted:

because you:

newark airport to penn station is 25 to 45 minutes depending on time of day and which terminal you're leaving from/going to

evilweasel posted:

you think the chicago-nyc bullet train is going to have a lot of spare seats and not be a premium service??

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

I'm sure the college graduates writing this new forum software from scratch are much smarter than the people who wrote all the other forum software in the world and won't make the same mistakes they did. It's definitely not going to be vulnerable to SQL injection attacks or anything. However, we should probably start auditing their source code to make sure it's secure. You know, to help them out.

what's #include

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

boy I can't wait to get from Modesto to Bakersfield in 2 hours. hit the honky-tonks on Buck Owens drive and back the same night. Yee-haw, trains!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I bought a bunch of Thomas the Tank Engine wooden railway toys for my son. This year I found out they have battery-operated engines, both ones that run and ones that make the chugga chugga choo choo sounds. This Christmas his grandma's going to buy him some wooden tracks and buildings, like the crane and the engine garage thing.

This train-related grandma-father-son bonding moment could only be improved by bitcoins.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
you have the choice of flying into one of three airports in new york

feeling confused about travel time, you go talk to your travel agent about possible connections to make sure you Get Out of Airport on Time and don't have to Cancel All Reservations

your agent looks at your choice tells you that this airport will force you to CAR and you trust him knowing that he tells the truth at all times and when you tell him if you want to switch he then tells you over on the east coast, having a continuous 120 mph would do well enough and that's a good way short of high speed rail, since the cities are so close together. like yeah boston to washington all the way through would be better at like a full 200 mph crusiing speed, but you have to make several major stops at intermediate cities on the way and right now it's looking like the main solution for stuff above nyc being slow is a new route that bypasses most of connecticut and rhode island

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
self-driving trains will use TrackCoin to pay cows to move out of the way or VisceraCoin to pay automatic janitorbots to clean the cowcatcher and sell the remains to dedicated captains of industry

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
what's the point of talking about public transportation systems in the united states at all, it's a bad joke and it always will be

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

ruby idiot railed posted:

I bought a bunch of Thomas the Tank Engine wooden railway toys for my son. This year I found out they have battery-operated engines, both ones that run and ones that make the chugga chugga choo choo sounds. This Christmas his grandma's going to buy him some wooden tracks and buildings, like the crane and the engine garage thing.

This train-related grandma-father-son bonding moment could only be improved by bitcoins.

intentionally exposing your children to infectious sources of autism should be child abuse

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

neonbregna posted:

intentionally exposing your children to infectious sources of autism should be child abuse

he's also up to date on all his vaccinations

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
get him a 2000-era PC and a copy of Roller Coaster Tycoon 2

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
he's also drinking fluoridated water

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!