Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

What about building your own mITX one that's passively cooled?

With BF prices I don't know if I could build one as powerful/cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
For those looking for an indexer, dognzb is doing open registration at http://dognzb.cr/bitcoin

Yes, you need :10bux: in bitcoin to join

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

For those looking for an indexer, dognzb is doing open registration at http://dognzb.cr/bitcoin

Yes, you need :10bux: in bitcoin to join

I hopped on that, and god loving drat is it hard to buy bitcoins these days. Why yes, I would love to give my name, address, copy of my passport, checking number and routing number, and a signed affidavit that I promise I won't scam you guys, honest.

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I hopped on that, and god loving drat is it hard to buy bitcoins these days. Why yes, I would love to give my name, address, copy of my passport, checking number and routing number, and a signed affidavit that I promise I won't scam you guys, honest.

I was about to venture down that path, but one of my coworkers has BTC. So I just hooked up with :10bux:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Crunchtime posted:

I was about to venture down that path, but one of my coworkers has BTC. So I just hooked up with :10bux:

I ended up meeting some kinda flaky looking guy in a bank and handing him $20 in return for enough BTC to get my nzb fix.

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

So after the site took my money and went down, now its asking for money again :(

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Crunchtime posted:

So after the site took my money and went down, now its asking for money again :(

Welcome to bitcoin, enjoy your stay.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
For bitcoin buyers, what's wrong with Coinbase? Alternatively, hit up the bitcoin ATM

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
I used a site called Virwox on which you can use PayPal to buy Second Life money, then convert that to BTC. Strange but painless.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'm very glad I got in on dog.nzb when they took normal useable money.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

Thauros posted:

Holy poo poo yes. I mean, I get that this is a primo use case for cryptocurrency, but still: bitcoin, not even once. (The site admins are not true believers or anything, they opposed accepting bitcoin for a while, but then their paypal account got shuttered)

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Thauros posted:

You and me both. I jumped ship to them back in 2012, never looked back.

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

Crackbone posted:

Welcome to bitcoin, enjoy your stay.

It started working for me today. Praise jah.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

serebralassazin posted:

I have only noticed slower speeds on quite old post (rough estimate because it's been a while since I checked this out) around 1200+ days I'll say. When I first noticed it I played around with using the European server and turned off my backup server (Blocknews) so I would definitely just be using the US one. It's not a big deal since it doesn't slow to a crawl but I can usually hit my max speed (75Mbps) and when I have noticed the slower speeds on older post it will be around 20-30Mbps range.

I've never been able to pull anything older than 1000 days off of supernews, despite them saying it has like a 2000 day retention or whatever it is now.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Kin posted:

I've never been able to pull anything older than 1000 days off of supernews, despite them saying it has like a 2000 day retention or whatever it is now.

Before I went back to Astraweb half a year ago I had similar problems with Giganews (same company), anything past 650 days or so would take up to 15-20% backup, most of the time. On Astraweb I still need backup from time to time but it's definitely much better.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Kin posted:

It was less than ~600 days for me, grabbing mostly lossless Scene FLAC

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So what is this backup system you guys are talking about. Is it just subscribing to 2 newshosts simultaneously?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Kin posted:

So what is this backup system you guys are talking about. Is it just subscribing to 2 newshosts simultaneously?

A fill server with a high retention like Blocknews or Tweaknews. If an article doesn't exist or a file is damaged then it will switch from your primary to your backup and try to grab it. You can have multiple servers like this. In SAB you tick the backup server box when adding it, in nzbget you just change the level to a number higher than whatever you chose for your first server.

Personally I've had a lot more luck repairing things in general with nzbget.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Or just get a free XSUsenet account and be patient. A lot of Usenet hosts will kill only a portion of the files when the files get taken down, so you'll get full speed for every available article from your "good" Usenet host, and XSUsenet will download the missing pieces at 1mbps, or whatever the max speed is for a free account.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Also with XSusenet you can ignore the claim that their retention for free accounts is only like, 10 days. It's way, way longer than that.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Also with XSusenet you can ignore the claim that their retention for free accounts is only like, 10 days. It's way, way longer than that.

They do seem to disable the account every month or so unless you log in to their website with it. I guess this is just so they can show you ads for their paid service (dyndns did this as well until folks just made scripts to log in every month).

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Blocknews has a sale once or twice a year, I usually just grab a big block then for like $20. It doesn't expire and it takes me quite awhile to go through the whole thing, usually 1-2 years.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Speaking of blocknews, are there any other providers with block plans that offer good black friday deals? I wanna get all my backfill servers set up on the cheap.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

http://blog.newsgroupdirect.com/2014/11/13/early-black-friday-sale/

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So based on what you guys are saying about there only usually being about one missing article, would that 500GB blocknews be the kind of thing you would consider lasting 1-2 years?

I might just try XSUsenet first.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kin posted:

So based on what you guys are saying about there only usually being about one missing article, would that 500GB blocknews be the kind of thing you would consider lasting 1-2 years?

I might just try XSUsenet first.

It depends on the volume and what you grab in terms of its age and DMCA. For some people a 200GB block lasts them 3+ years, other people blow through it in a few months because they grab a 1TB a month.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Kin posted:

I simply posted the deal, I probably wouldn't buy 500 GB myself. I've spent less than 100 GB of my backup in three years, downloading on average 150-200 GB monthly.

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

Anyone a strong Mylar user? It isn't recognizing my already existing things. Placed them in the correct directories and all.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Crunchtime posted:

Anyone a strong Mylar user? It isn't recognizing my already existing things. Placed them in the correct directories and all.

I use Mylar. I hate mylar but its the only thing that does what it does. I could never get its importing to recognize my already existing stuff unless I made sure to only have it process one title at a time. If I pointed it at a folder that contained multiple titles it would pretend to import it but never actually do anything.

By 'title' I'm referring to a particular volume in a series. Eg. Action Comics (1940) vs Action Comics (2011), for example. Or Action Comics (2011) vs Batman (2011).

So my process for importing was:
1. Use mylar to search + add a title, making sure each entry in the title is marked as skipped when it creates it.
2. Manually move all the files for that title into the folder mylar created on the system.
3. Go to mylar overview for that title and click the 'recheck / rescan' button.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 18, 2014

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
Wow, Nzbget is so much better than SAB it's not even funny. Seriously, everyone should switch.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Is there an Ubuntu repo for nzbget that tracks the latest updates? I sure as hell don't want to keep track of downloading or compiling the source every time there's an update.

Or does it self-update?

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

What provider are you guys using? I was trying Supernews but poo poo goes down quick, I don't know if its unusual for Usenet but I tried to download a 6 day old TV episode and it was already gone.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Helpimscared posted:

What provider are you guys using? I was trying Supernews but poo poo goes down quick, I don't know if its unusual for Usenet but I tried to download a 6 day old TV episode and it was already gone.

I use SuperNews for my primary, Tweaknews and Blocknews for most of my fills. Mainly just Tweaknews, they seem to take their sweet time responding to DMCA stuff, so I probably won't get another Blocknews block when it is used up.

I've also had good luck with a small block account from Wondernews, mainly for really old stuff. I have them set to lowest priority, and I see them occasionally getting used for year+ old stuff that is gone from everywhere else.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Frugalusenet, with a Blocknews and Tweaknews backup. I rarely have something that won't download, and sometimes it'll fail the first try but the same post will complete on a second try.

Frugalusenet is only 300 days retention, so I end up using more Blocknews than most might. But it's only $40/yr for Frugal, I spend maybe $40-60/yr for Blocknews topups, and I bought 250GB of Tweaknews a year or two ago, and have used maybe half of it. So maybe a total of $10/month averaged out for what amounts to unlimited and reliable download. I'll probably grab a big chunk of Blocknews during the Black Friday sales, enough to carry me through until next year at least.

Fourteen
Aug 15, 2002

No, no, no you imbecile! That's not talc, that's paprika!
Giganews, for the past 10 years. 82TB and counting...

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I've been using supernews for the past 4 years or so and haven't really had much problem finding stuff and oh god, they keep transfer stats too. lol

Since 2/22/2011 10TB!

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

I assume it just be seen as a unreasonable expectation to be able to download a movie or tv show that got uploaded more than a week or so ago?

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Anecdotally, I've had some files download over 1500 days old. It all depends what it is, and whether you have a diverse enough set of backups that may or may not be able to complete all the chunks.

No stats from my Frugal account, but Tweaknews has me at 170GB, and Blocknews has me at 802GB since 11/30/2010. SABnzbd has me at 3.6TB on my Frugal account, but I'm not sure if I've wiped my SAB stats since I signed up for that last November or not.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Thermopyle posted:

Is there an Ubuntu repo for nzbget that tracks the latest updates? I sure as hell don't want to keep track of downloading or compiling the source every time there's an update.

Or does it self-update?

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nzbget

It appears to be within the repo already but it's outdated. Far as I can tell there is no PPA to stay current with using apt-get. It's either do it by hand compiling it every time or switch to a bleeding edge distro like Arch. Even the Debian Testing repo appears to be a full version ahead of the Ubuntu repos.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Helpimscared posted:

I assume it just be seen as a unreasonable expectation to be able to download a movie or tv show that got uploaded more than a week or so ago?

It seems to vary from episode to episode and movie to movie. Their automated machines doing the DMCA requests seem to be kind of hit or miss sometimes.

I have 4 usenet provider accounts, myself. Astraweb, newsdemon, fastusenet (those three total around $18 a month... less than what I was paying monthly for Giganews a while back) and a block account from newsgroupdirect.

I cover a pretty wide base that way. Excessive? Yeah, probably. But it is pretty cheap overall and I rarely have issues downloading things.