Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Sheep posted:

I had a guy wearing a denim jacket, jeans, and sneakers on Friday. I'm fine if you show up in business casual but don't show up looking (and acting) like a logger slash axe murderer.

I'm wondering if this is a lack of common sense when it comes to dressing or an over abundance of confidence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Was he Canadian?

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Sheep posted:

I had a guy wearing a denim jacket, jeans, and sneakers on Friday. I'm fine if you show up in business casual but don't show up looking (and acting) like a logger slash axe murderer.

He's the reason the rest of us get patronising advice like "Remain clean and sober at all times during the interview process."

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sheep posted:

That's a Canadian Tuxedo bro, you better watch your P's and Q's so you don't get sued for discrimination

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

jaegerx posted:

e: can we also do a countdown in the OP of how many days it goes without a dilbert as gently caress breakdown. I'd like to start tracking the data.
I'll see what I can do.

Drunk Orc posted:

I'm wondering if this is a lack of common sense when it comes to dressing or an over abundance of confidence?
Yes.

Misogynist posted:

Despite all the lip service from their HR analytics drones about the optimum number of interviews, someone who's gone through it recently told me it still takes months to get hired.
Do they still do those creative problem solving questions?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Drunk Orc posted:

He very clearly had issues that weren't solely wardrobe-related.

indigoe
Jul 29, 2003

gonna steal the show, you know it ain't no crime

Zero VGS posted:

Symantec is refusing to refund me even partially, but they did give me a form to legally transfer the licenses to another company so if you wanna buy them I'll save you a few thousand off retail.

Thanks for the offer but I have enough licenses currently. Besides I'm a long way from standardised images (let alone hardware) for what you describe to be an issue.

I would like to implement a domain controller and active directory so I can manage updates, group policies and so on. It's getting tedious having to go and put in the admin password every time there is a skype update. And is it possible to migrate to this setup from standalone computers without upsetting current user profiles too much? What's the best way to learn about this stuff especially when it comes to migrations? I'm not really sure where to start.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Use a domain & WSUS for group policy & updates, but keep the users using local profiles? Alternatively you can migrate local profiles onto the domain according to some quick Googling.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Sheep posted:

Alternatively you can migrate local profiles onto the domain according to some quick Googling.

One of my favorite tools does exactly this, Profwiz!

http://www.forensit.com/domain-migration.html

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Cenodoxus posted:

Do they still do those creative problem solving questions?
From an HR perspective, they've largely decided that those don't work, but I'm not sure how much autonomy individual employees are given in the types of questions they're supposed to ask when interviewing candidates.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Was it this thread where we were talking about OpenStack last? I forget. We've moved about half our our production infrastructure from Grizzly over to Icehouse and it's NIGHT AND DAY how much better it is to work with. Stupid poo poo we had to put in gnarly hacks to deal with now Just Works. CLI commands and the Horizon dashboard are literally several orders of magnitude faster. You don't have to reissue the same command 10 times before it runs. I was worried that would go away as we upped our VM count but so far it's still super fast and reliable with 100+ VM's on the new cluster.

It's still a far cry from the ease of VMware deployment but I'd actually feel good about telling someone (who understood what they were getting into) that it's a viable option now. You're still going to want at least one person on staff who understands it on a deep level but they shouldn't have to burn 80% of their time chasing issues that boil down to a "fixed in a later release" bug report anymore. Which was definitely the case in previous versions.

Pretty cool to see that all the noise, money and hype around OpenStack is actually going toward making it a usable product.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Coolnezzz posted:

One of my favorite tools does exactly this, Profwiz!

http://www.forensit.com/domain-migration.html

thumbs up for profwiz. Its my go to standard for migrating domain profiles.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
So, tonight I have an offer interview with my (hopefully) new boss. I've never had a talk about wages (my current job was my first and 5 years ago I just said "yes" to any offer). I'm hoping they'll just go like "here's a lot of money", so that I just have to say yes again.

The interview process was weird, the technical interview was just chatting about Microsoft stuff and if I was willing to learn some old language (RPG). The job itself is a mixture of .net and RPG (I'm already doing maintenance of code where methods are a thousand lines mixed with 10 Go To's, so RPG can't be worse), so I'm shocked they are making an offer without really any proof if I can actually code.

I would've expected more "use this white-board to solve x problem" stuff, but apparently that isn't being done anymore?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Punc posted:

So, tonight I have an offer interview with my (hopefully) new boss. I've never had a talk about wages (my current job was my first and 5 years ago I just said "yes" to any offer). I'm hoping they'll just go like "here's a lot of money", so that I just have to say yes again.

The interview process was weird, the technical interview was just chatting about Microsoft stuff and if I was willing to learn some old language (RPG). The job itself is a mixture of .net and RPG (I'm already doing maintenance of code where methods are a thousand lines mixed with 10 Go To's, so RPG can't be worse), so I'm shocked they are making an offer without really any proof if I can actually code.

I would've expected more "use this white-board to solve x problem" stuff, but apparently that isn't being done anymore?

Every company is different, but my concern would be that you get pigeonholed into doing mostly RPG and not .NET or something modern/marketable.

I would ask about the last guy they had in the role and why he left. And of course what your day to day will consist of...

Salary-wise, have you made it clear yet what your desired rate is? Do they have any idea? Obviously it would be ideal to get them to name a number first and to have that number be a solid increase, but if they low ball you it might get interesting. If you have the discussion in person, unless it's an amazing offer, I would say that you need a day to think about it. This gives you a chance to step back and evaluate it (not in the heat of the moment) and then to respond with a counter in writing.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Got an Outlook issue I'm stumped on, maybe you gurus have seen something like this before?

One of my users is receiving email in her Junk folder with the message, "This message was marked as spam using a junk filter other than the Outlook Junk E-mail filter". Any mail from internal senders is delivered to the Inbox as expected, but mail from any other domain is sent to the Junk Mail folder, without exception.

There are no rules set in the local Outlook and junk filtering is turned off. In OWA, we found another junk setting and turned it off. Senders are added to a safe sender list, both in Outlook and in ProofPoint (third party spam management). ProofPoint shouldn't be the issue, as it either quarantines or allows messages and shouldn't be tagging anything as junk. We use Symantec Endpoint but email protection is turned off. There is no other security software on her PC; we shut down the PC and recreated her Outlook profile on a different PC and had the same issue. She receives email on her iPhone, but after removing the account from that device altogether we still had the issue.

In the Exchange 2010 server, I'm poking around but I find nothing different in her profile comparted to other users'. When I look up her SCL rules in Exchange Management Shell, they are all blank-- I think this implies that the global server settings apply? In that case, SCLJunkThreshold is set at 8, the default. If I understand correctly, the higher the number, the less strict the junk rule is, and the top number is 9. This leads me to believe that the SCLJunkThreshold number isn't causing it.

Any ideas?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

CloFan posted:

Got an Outlook issue I'm stumped on, maybe you gurus have seen something like this before?

One of my users is receiving email in her Junk folder with the message, "This message was marked as spam using a junk filter other than the Outlook Junk E-mail filter". Any mail from internal senders is delivered to the Inbox as expected, but mail from any other domain is sent to the Junk Mail folder, without exception.

There are no rules set in the local Outlook and junk filtering is turned off. In OWA, we found another junk setting and turned it off. Senders are added to a safe sender list, both in Outlook and in ProofPoint (third party spam management). ProofPoint shouldn't be the issue, as it either quarantines or allows messages and shouldn't be tagging anything as junk. We use Symantec Endpoint but email protection is turned off. There is no other security software on her PC; we shut down the PC and recreated her Outlook profile on a different PC and had the same issue. She receives email on her iPhone, but after removing the account from that device altogether we still had the issue.

In the Exchange 2010 server, I'm poking around but I find nothing different in her profile comparted to other users'. When I look up her SCL rules in Exchange Management Shell, they are all blank-- I think this implies that the global server settings apply? In that case, SCLJunkThreshold is set at 8, the default. If I understand correctly, the higher the number, the less strict the junk rule is, and the top number is 9. This leads me to believe that the SCLJunkThreshold number isn't causing it.

Any ideas?

and this config works for all other users? poo poo, I'm lazy with exchange, but Id export to a file, destroy the profile, and rebuild with known good settings. then reimport the mail. unless its one of those mail hoarders.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Right, this is the only user (that we know about, of course) with this issue. It certainly doesn't send everything to junk for the majority of users or there would be an uproar.

So is doing what you explained difficult or risky in any way? I briefly asked my boss if that was an option but he acted like we wanted to avoid doing that if possible.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What if you make them an alias and send email to that address? Is it still getting flagged?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

That gets returned undeliverable by ProofPoint for User Unknown, I don't have access to that so I'll see if my boss can add that alias to PP

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

CloFan posted:

Right, this is the only user (that we know about, of course) with this issue. It certainly doesn't send everything to junk for the majority of users or there would be an uproar.

So is doing what you explained difficult or risky in any way? I briefly asked my boss if that was an option but he acted like we wanted to avoid doing that if possible.

risky without a backup. but exporting to a file does that. either way if you feel uncomfortable with the process, I'd recommend against it. I just don't like heavy troubleshooting one user issues easier to just back up trash and redo.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

CloFan posted:

That gets returned undeliverable by ProofPoint for User Unknown, I don't have access to that so I'll see if my boss can add that alias to PP

Alright, so when sending to the alias it goes to inbox. I'm not sure what that tells me.

\/\/ Alright cool, thanks. I'll look into it further.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ProofPoint is loving with it somewhere.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Am I an idiot that can't find a VoIP thread or is there not one yet? I'm in the process of looking for a new system and my coworker is insisting we get specs and quotes on at least 5. FWIW 40 users now, going up to 100 over the next 9 months.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't think there is one, but I'm just about to start trying out different systems so would find a thread pretty useful.

Shoretel seem to do reasonably well whenever the subject has come up in other posts though.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

I've installed ShoreTel at 2 previous jobs and it's been a dream but now I actually have a co admin who wants to see and try different things. He gets destroyed by all sales people.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I work with shoretel stuff and would love for someone to start a VoIP thread

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Have an interview today at YMCA for a Tech Support I position (from what I can tell it's basically helpdesk but nobody else through google has any good info on it) and I'm pretty nervous, partly because they're a non-profit and if they want me, they want me at a price no higher than some retail jobs in the area. So for me, if it's even a dollar above what I make now (a touch above retail) I'm going to take it.

Dark Helmut posted:

I would ask about the last guy they had in the role and why he left. And of course what your day to day will consist of...

This is one question I always mean to ask but seemingly forget, I'm studying up on the company's values and all that but nerves usually get the best of me. Any other questions that are effective to ask? Is it acceptable to ask about continuing education and training?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Lblitzer posted:

Have an interview today at YMCA for a Tech Support I position (from what I can tell it's basically helpdesk but nobody else through google has any good info on it) and I'm pretty nervous, partly because they're a non-profit and if they want me, they want me at a price no higher than some retail jobs in the area. So for me, if it's even a dollar above what I make now (a touch above retail) I'm going to take it.

I'd take it because it's a start in an IT career and not a retail dead end.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

mewse posted:

I work with shoretel stuff and would love for someone to start a VoIP thread

I'd love to have a place to talk about shoretel. I had an awful time a while back troubleshooting a 655 phone. Everything worked fine with 265, and the 655 was tested good in my office.

Long story short, the network cable was damaged and only could do 100mbps. That allowed the older phones to work fine but the 655 failed.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Wow, 80 new posts. The thread was busy over the weekend....

God drat it.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Wow, 80 new posts. The thread was busy over the weekend....

God drat it.

c'mon man don't you know by now?

It's as if some of the people in this thread go out and get off the computer for the weekend!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Lblitzer posted:

My career started at barely above minimum wage with a local web hosting company, but I got to touch so many technologies that I had no problem picking my own job once I left. Jobternships suck when you have bills to pay, but non-profits are usually really laid-back environments where you can learn a lot of you show the initiative to do it. If you're stuck doing the same poo poo day in and day out with no meaningful way to iprove processes or automate it, try to find something else where you're actually learning, though.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

c'mon man don't you know by now?

It's as if some of the people in this thread go out and get off the computer for the weekend!

...and then come back to it drunk as hell to shitpost.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

Dark Helmut posted:

Every company is different, but my concern would be that you get pigeonholed into doing mostly RPG and not .NET or something modern/marketable.

Salary-wise, have you made it clear yet what your desired rate is? Do they have any idea? Obviously it would be ideal to get them to name a number first and to have that number be a solid increase, but if they low ball you it might get interesting. If you have the discussion in person, unless it's an amazing offer, I would say that you need a day to think about it. This gives you a chance to step back and evaluate it (not in the heat of the moment) and then to respond with a counter in writing.

The last guy was a consultant, but they want to get the knowledge inside the company. So I'll be replacing him (he got offered, but decided that consultancy was better). They offered 250 euro (before taxes) more a month for 3 hours a week less work, so that was pretty good. I get Friday afternoon off and get cheap beers (it's a brewery).

Salary wise I already told the recruiter what I made. Next time I'll attempt not to say it (or say something higher lol).

It was a pretty amazing offer for me so I accepted it at the spot (also, the less days I have to spent in my current job the better). They were pretty convincing in stepping away from RPG, so hopefully they told me the truth.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

AAB posted:

Am I an idiot that can't find a VoIP thread or is there not one yet? I'm in the process of looking for a new system and my coworker is insisting we get specs and quotes on at least 5. FWIW 40 users now, going up to 100 over the next 9 months.

Whatever you go with, make sure you get dibs on not being the lead admin. Being the phone guy sucks. Getting five bids is going to take hours of meetings by the way - you need to know exactly what your analog infrastructure is going to look like before you walk into these things. This is assuming you don't already have a voip deployment.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Roargasm posted:

Whatever you go with, make sure you get dibs on not being the lead admin. Being the phone guy sucks. Getting five bids is going to take hours of meetings by the way - you need to know exactly what your analog infrastructure is going to look like before you walk into these things. This is assuming you don't already have a voip deployment.

We rolled out a new cisco phone system a few jobs ago and it was pretty easy. The vendor we ultimately selected was very knowledgeable and was able to provide quotes for several solutions (we would up going with the cheaper cisco UCS solution since we didn't need multi-site capabilities or anything crazy liek that) after two or three 20 minute conversations on the phone.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Lblitzer posted:

This is one question I always mean to ask but seemingly forget, I'm studying up on the company's values and all that but nerves usually get the best of me. Any other questions that are effective to ask? Is it acceptable to ask about continuing education and training?

In general, anything related to how YOU can help THEM. Once the offer comes, that's when to talk to HR or whoever you're working with about what they will do for you. In an ideal world though, they will want you enough that they will try and sell you on their company and the position, including talking about their benefits/training/etc.

@ Punc, congrats man!

I think it's important to note that it's ok to have an open and honest conversation with your recruiter about salary. Where you are now, what you are targeting and why, etc, so you can both discuss the market conditions and how your salary req stacks up with the local competition.

And you're working in a brewery??!! Nice pull, man...

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
What do you guys look for when comparing SLA's of potential ISP's? We currently use Integra and getting reamed. We're paying a ridiculous $6400/mo for Hosted Firewall, VPN, 20Mb EoC to Seattle HQ, 12Mb bonded T1's to Portland office, MPLS, PRI's for in house PBX's as well as long distance, DID's, etc.

I've gotten quotes from Comcast, Windstream, CenturyLink and a handfull of other smaller ISP's but it's looking like Comcast and Windstream are the only viable options from a price perspective. Haven't sat down and drudged through SLA's yet, but I'm planning on doing that this week.

On a side note, anyone recommend or not recommend Fortinet Fortigate UTM's? I'm going to kick the hosted firewall to the curb soon. Didn't see a networking thread. Looking for an intuitive GUI, easy site-to-site VPN setups with cheap models for construction job sites, and the ability to have 2nd WAN connection as well as a potential for having two in HA.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Roargasm posted:

There isn't a VoIP setup at the moment. The big goal is to get something in that can also move and grow easily. Its going to be a fun process since only 1 of 3 of us have any experience with this kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Punc posted:

The last guy was a consultant, but they want to get the knowledge inside the company. So I'll be replacing him (he got offered, but decided that consultancy was better). They offered 250 euro (before taxes) more a month for 3 hours a week less work, so that was pretty good. I get Friday afternoon off and get cheap beers (it's a brewery).

I'm so glad to see they're paying in Euros because for a second I wondered if you were the chump that decided to work for Rogue.