Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

JohnSherman posted:

This reminds me, why don't we have a ratings thread this season?

Because you haven't made one yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Rarity posted:

OMG YOU GUYS WATCH PERSON OF INTERET THIS poo poo IS BANANAS BEE AY EN AY EN AY NANASDNLFLRNGFEWBHFRGBRWG

PS it is actually one of the best shows no matter how much sarcasm you levy~

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

xeria posted:

PS it is actually one of the best shows no matter how much sarcasm you levy~
I've actually heard people tell me they got angry at the show for making Shaw and Root regular cast characters, which completely baffles me.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Sober posted:

I've actually heard people tell me they got angry at the show for making Shaw and Root regular cast characters, which completely baffles me.

These people are unfathomably stupid. :smith:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I watched the first season of PoI and it didn't really click with me, is it worth skipping to the current season to see what's up or will I be completely lost?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

VodeAndreas posted:

I watched the first season of PoI and it didn't really click with me, is it worth skipping to the current season to see what's up or will I be completely lost?

You'll be completely lost.
If you got all the way through the first season and don't want to watch more, then there's probably not anything else that will make you like it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It of course depends on the specific reasons for why the show isn't grabbing you, but I'd say just try to pick up wherever you left off and get through season 2. Seasons 2 is where the show starts pulling back the curtain quite a bit on the machine and Finch's whole operation, as well as fleshing out the characters more while introducing more serialized elements to go along with the weekly number stuff. If season 1 wasn't really doing much for you then there's a chance that season 2 will be more interesting and get you to push through and watch season 3 as well.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

The Duke posted:

Man, I'm thinking I should just stop watching sitcoms altogether. It always ends in heartbreak :(

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

raditts posted:

You'll be completely lost.
If you got all the way through the first season and don't want to watch more, then there's probably not anything else that will make you like it.

I don't remember if I made it all the way to the end now you mention it, I might have been a bit distracted if I did at least.

I'll give S2 a go and see if I find it any better, I wasn't completely uninterested but it wasn't anything special from what I saw.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The first season of PoI is some of the worst television ever produced. Just do yourself a favor and jump right to the 4th season. Unless you have the IQ of a goldfish, it shouldn't take you that long to figure out the plot (hint: its the same as the first season, but with a second, evil computer thrown in the mix).

You're welcome.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
PoI is good but it's only one of the best dramas on if you only watch network shows and have never heard of cable.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I got burned out on cable dramas a long time ago.

I get it, life sucked for black people in the 50s. Thanks, generic period drama #265, for reminding me that racism is bad!

Oh, a joke about how people in the past don't understand a thing the same way that I, a person in the present, understand it? Hilarious!

Amazing. There's a white man staring blankly at a carousel. No doubt he is contemplating some deep poo poo. Give this show all the Emmys!

You can tell this show is sophisticated because it doesn't feel the need to be weighed down by things like plot advancement.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

VodeAndreas posted:

You wouldn't be completely lost, but if you didn't particularly like the first season, you may not want to bother.

I'd suggest watching the "Relevance," the 16th episode of season 2; it introduces a new character, from that character's perspective, so it's like a second pilot. If that doesn't grab you, drop it.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

JohnSherman posted:

This reminds me, why don't we have a ratings thread this season?

Occ keeps procrastinating on making a new one because he doesn't want to rewrite the OP. Like with many terrible things in life, you can blame Doctor Who.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

I got burned out on cable dramas a long time ago.

I get it, life sucked for black people in the 50s. Thanks, generic period drama #265, for reminding me that racism is bad!

Oh, a joke about how people in the past don't understand a thing the same way that I, a person in the present, understand it? Hilarious!

Amazing. There's a white man staring blankly at a carousel. No doubt he is contemplating some deep poo poo. Give this show all the Emmys!

You can tell this show is sophisticated because it doesn't feel the need to be weighed down by things like plot advancement.

lol......ewhat show is this

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
is it american horror story

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sober posted:

Maybe they think adding more main cast means less Bear, which isn't true but I could totally see being mad about not enough Bear.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Judge Clayjar posted:

It's the Irish Joe Show. Thanks for watching.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

VodeAndreas posted:

It took me almost a full year to get through season 1 and maybe a month tops for seasons 2/3 (so yeah, season 1 didn't click with me very much either until the very end). I'd say it's worth at least watching the end of 1, parts of 2, and the entirety of 3.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Judge Clayjar posted:

The Knick.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Season 1 Episodes of Person of Interest that are really helpful to following the overarching plot...

07 (Witness)
09 (Get Carter)
10 (Number Crunch) for the flashbacks mainly
13 (Root Cause)
15 (Blue Code)
19 (Flesh and Blood)
20 (Matsya Nyaya)
21 (Many Happy Returns)
22 (No Good Deed)
23 (Firewall)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

hcreight posted:

Occ keeps procrastinating on making a new one because he doesn't want to rewrite the OP. Like with many terrible things in life, you can blame Doctor Who.

YEah

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Season 1 Episodes of Person of Interest that are really helpful to following the overarching plot...

07 (Witness)
09 (Get Carter)
10 (Number Crunch) for the flashbacks mainly
13 (Root Cause)
15 (Blue Code)
19 (Flesh and Blood)
20 (Matsya Nyaya)
21 (Many Happy Returns)
22 (No Good Deed)
23 (Firewall)
I would put the first two episodes in there too for obvious reasons (the pilot because the pilot and episode 2 when the flashbacks come in play), but yes, at the very least watch that list for season 1.

The first season of POI isn't terrible but it doesn't become remarkable until at least episode 7 or at least the halfway point at 10-13. The fact that all other seasons eclipse it by a gigantic margin is a good thing. Many Happy Returns is also still one of my favourite episodes, so yeah.

The thing with POI you have to remember is it's still kinda just a case-of-the-week show, it's just they don't spin their tires for 18 episodes doing nothing (Burn Notice I'm looking at you) and instead use the case-of-the-week as a way to do character/plot/mythology arcs instead of showing us more hum-dum-boring stuff like you would expect from a CSI spinoff or something. The only time this is true is maybe season 1 but it picks up too, just not as breakneck of a pace as later seasons.

In fact, when the show came out I compared it to Burn Notice, except Burn Notice was the same show for about 6 or 7 years while POI isn't despite having the same overall format.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

That's true. B-but Happy Endings and Better Off Ted and Don't Trust the Bitch :cry:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ratings thread for this season: "Everything is in the gutter except Walking Dead for reasons that may involve a deal with the devil" there, I saved you an hour.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

PoI is coming to netflix next fall, until then it's not worth pushing on here cause it's a total pain in the rear end to catch up on legally.

Unrelated, what should I start watching next, The 100 or Vikings?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Vikings is great, watch that.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I need a list of shows that most of TVIV doesn't like or notice about that aired this year for Reasons

there are literally no wrong answers here, go crazy with suggestions, my only caveat is that it's a show that most of tviv didn't watch or remember and at least one episode aired this year- and by "Didn't watch or remember" i mean either didn't have a thread, the thread is dead, or the thread is or was tiny as the show aired/is airing: it could also include shows that were huge but aired at the beginning of this year, so most tvivers dont remember it

for instance, here's my list so far, for reference:

True Detective
The Americans
Too Many Cooks
The Bridge
Faking It
Black-ish
Reign

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Toxxupation posted:

I need a list of shows that most of TVIV doesn't like or notice about that aired this year for Reasons

there are literally no wrong answers here, go crazy with suggestions, my only caveat is that it's a show that most of tviv didn't watch or remember and at least one episode aired this year- and by "Didn't watch or remember" i mean either didn't have a thread, the thread is dead, or the thread is or was tiny as the show aired/is airing: it could also include shows that were huge but aired at the beginning of this year, so most tvivers dont remember it

True Detective
The Americans
Too Many Cooks
The Bridge
Faking It
Black-ish
Reign

The Comeback, Jonah From Ton'ga, MAYBE Banshee (EDIT: It's aired 20 episodes since January 2012, and the only thread it's ever had is 12 pages long; up to you if it qualifies), Awkward, Happyland, and MAYBE Scorpion.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Toxxupation posted:

True Detective

Uh, yeah, about that...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ah yes, Too Many Cooks. That wacky 11 minute television series.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Zaggitz posted:

PoI is coming to netflix next fall, until then it's not worth pushing on here cause it's a total pain in the rear end to catch up on legally.

Unrelated, what should I start watching next, The 100 or Vikings?

Both are worth watching, but The 100 is what I'd go with. It's another of those CW shows that is way way better than it should be. Vikings is just ok and drags a lot.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Salem? Brickleberry?

Sorting the forum for threads with the least posts, The Lottery? Gang Related?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Falling Skies? Gracepoint?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Actually, this table on Wikipedia has a raft of suspects. The Carrie Diaries! Super Fun Night! Rake! Crisis!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Okay let's narrow this down to "Shows people would theoretically like"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Covert Affairs

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

The Affair

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Toxxupation posted:

Blue Bloods is a show that continues to exist, but what's the deal with it? It has Tom Selleck evidently?

Also, I've heard The Fosters is pretty good for a soapy ABC Family Show.
Also, Switched at Birth. I don't think either of those have strong SA followings because they're shows geared towards women.

Also, Devious Maids. This is a show that exists as well.

Other random series nobody here cares about (I'm guessing, don't care enough to check):
Major Crimes
Rizzoli & Isles
Franklin & Bash (ended this year)
Dallas (ended this year)
Satisfaction
Sirens
Playing House
Melissa & Joey
Hot in Cleveland
The Exes
The Soul Man

I would love to hear reports on the quality of all of these series.
:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Xavier: Renegade Angel. I'll never stop suggesting it until someone watches this.

• Locked thread