Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shifty Pony posted:

You just know that developing for thermos would be hell. feature creep and completely arbitrary functionality integrated in nonsensical ways with no grasp of just how insane the ideas are. A stream of consciousness straight from am idea guy.

but for $300k a year...

this is basically developing for anyone who doesn't understand the software development process and how to manage projects. if this this is real then it will end up in tears (of hilarity (for us))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
it will end in tears either way

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

so one of the foundation members is literally a pyramid scheme

the obvious thing to do here is to kick them out and institute screening policies so this sort of thing won't happen again. so naturally instead they're just bullshitting about 'innocent until proven guilty' and 'well how do you PROVE they're a pyramid scheme'

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
[–]bruce_fenton 3 points 4 hours ago 

I don't think anyone is advocating to do nothing or saying that the market will iron things out.

As a Bitcoin Foundation member I don't want scammy, shady companies or ponzie companies to join.

But what EXACT procedure can I or another member suggest as a pull request to the bylaws?

I am not a fan of a non transparent system or something that takes tons of resources. What exactly would be a method that could be used?

ayyyyyyyy

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

vOv posted:

the obvious thing to do here is to kick them out and institute screening policies so this sort of thing won't happen again. so naturally instead they're just bullshitting about 'innocent until proven guilty' and 'well how do you PROVE they're a pyramid scheme'

Jesus, Bruce Fenton is showing his rear end repeatedly on that thread. "but how do you write the bylaws?" he whines. Gosh, I don't know, Bruce. If only there were trained professionals who specialized in knowing how to create bylaws for non-profit organizations. People who know about law stuff. We could call them "lawsters" or something, maybe. Until that magical day, just keep asking sysadmins on r/Bitcoin.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
r/bitcoin stops talking about butts and tipping for minute...

We have enough taxes, we don't need inflation too

quote:

19th century British monarchy, the ultimate libertarian paradise.

quote:

You know that one of the most renowned austro-libertarian scholars of our time argues that ancient monarchy would be a less authoritarian regime of government than democracies? And his arguments are quite good. You should read his own texts for a decent description of the arguments, but the tl;dr is basically two points:

Kings are "long-term parasites", while democratic leaders are "short-term" ones. Kings see the kingdom as their property, and will avoid to damage it too much, so that it can keep benefiting him and his heirs forever. Democratic leaders have only their terms to extract everything they can, and that tends to make them much more destructive.
In democracy this illusion that "we are the government", that anybody can be there etc makes the subjects much more prone to accept abuses. While in monarchy the distinction between the host and the parasite is much clearer to everyone. People tend to tolerate abuse less.

I'm not sure whether I agree with that, since we have counter-examples in our world: Saudi Arabia and North Korea (which technically has been an absolutist monarchy for three generations). OTOH, there are prosperous monarchy-like places, like the Emirates, Qatar, Bahrain (the religious authoritarianism that exist in these places is IMHO unrelated to the government system). But I wonder if the success of these last ones is not much more related to their small sizes (or decentralization in the case of the Emirates), and the jurisdiction competition that small governments suffer.

quote:

I've always said it, Democracy is a sham. What we need is a benevolent dictator.

With a Dictator at the very top, he should have everything he wants, and no one should be able to "buy" him with their wealth. (He has everything he could possibly desire).

But with Democracy, those with money can buy any politician they want. Doesn't matter who is in office, they can be persuaded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BmdovYztH8

Who REALLY controls the country??

quote:

Believe it or not, Monarchies was more libertarian (at least economically) than our modern Republics and democracies, yes I have the right to vote but I get hosed royally by whoever is in charge of the state.

I don't displace to the poll anymore.

I prefer to have a King that leave me loving alone than an elected president who fuckup with my liberty on a daily basis and tell me that is for my own protection...

Even marriage in Austria (at the time of Mozart) was not regulated by the state, it was just a private contract between the two parties.

quote:

There will come a time in the not too distant future when the average person will be able to totally evade taxes. They will trade encrypted digital information for encrypted money.

Some will start to exchange physical goods as well. This will start to represent a significant decrease in revenue for the state, which hasn't happened in modern times.

The state will then have to react by 1) cutting spending significantly, which will severely damage the economy as we have seen with even minor austerity, 2) increase taxation significantly, which has it's limits of effectiveness, or 3) print their way out of it, leading to hyperinflation and collapse.

So my point is - a drastically different world without huge taxation on everything is coming. A world where government revenue is significantly lowered. If you think that infrastructure will fall apart and healthcare and education won't function, then you must acknowledge the imminent collapse of a society brought about by encryption.

Either that, or you could ask the question "could these things function without the state?", and genuinely attempt to research the implications.

And like a million posts on worker safety and why should it be regulated by contracts, contractS, CONTRACTS.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol george iii was mentally ill and his government's fiscal policies almost bankrupted the country

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
i would like to announce my candidacy for benevolent dictator

resume: i prefer video games and tentacle hentai to bloodsports and concubines, support the immediate execution of marketing majors, and spend much of my time cosplaying as lord vetinari of ankh-morpork

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

fool_of_sound posted:

resume: i prefer video games and tentacle hentai to bloodsports and concubines, support the immediate execution of marketing majors, and spend much of my time cosplaying as lord vetinari of ankh-morpork

can you also execute/exile mbas, every person who self-identifies as working on "wall street", people who call themselves "hackers" when they make stupid poo poo like arduino-powered musical toilet seats, and finally, people who prefer linux over literally any other operating system?

thank you, my king

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Ripoff posted:

arduino-powered musical toilet seats,

japan beat us to it

anyways ill send u a link when my kickstarter for this is live

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Ripoff posted:

can you also execute/exile mbas, every person who self-identifies as working on "wall street", people who call themselves "hackers" when they make stupid poo poo like arduino-powered musical toilet seats, and finally, people who prefer linux over literally any other operating system?

thank you, my king

Eh, I'd vote forbe subjugated by it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

vOv posted:

lol holy poo poo, i assumed they were one of those shady multi-level marketing companies but nope, actual ponzi scheme

also as they've been dead for years this is presumably the buttcoin equivalent of getting your cat a doctorate in hypnotherapy?

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

vOv posted:

christ all mighty, im reading through that reddit thread and bruce fenton might be the stupidest goddamn person alive based on the solid non-understanding he's displaying

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol george iii was mentally ill and his government's fiscal policies almost bankrupted the country

and would have easily bankrupted any country not completely ascendant as a world power

as it was he probably held back British dominance by 20-30 years

although i'm not sure what exactly they would have done with an extra twenty years of dominance that they didn't do anyway. mayyybe hold on to the u.s., although i think a successful colonial revolt was inevitable anyway, and it was probably destined to be us

actually in one of those weird twists it is possible that being richer longer would just have meant that all of the american colonies would have revolted together

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Ripoff posted:

people who call themselves "hackers" when they make stupid poo poo like arduino-powered musical toilet seats

no don't you see they're claiming back the word! that's worked so well every other time somebody has tried to do that!!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Erenthal posted:

christ all mighty, im reading through that reddit thread and bruce fenton might be the stupidest goddamn person alive based on the solid non-understanding he's displaying

Look, it is really difficult to understand the concept of "it's a private club, you can deny entrance to whomever you wish".

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

trucutru posted:

Look, it is really difficult to understand the concept of "it's a private club, you can deny entrance to whomever you wish".

but that would be an initiation of force!

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

trucutru posted:

r/bitcoin stops talking about butts and tipping for minute...

We have enough taxes, we don't need inflation too

And like a million posts on worker safety and why should it be regulated by contracts, contractS, CONTRACTS.

is Bitcoin just a massive group of people larping as Ignatius J. Reilly?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Boxturret posted:

but that would be an initiation of force!

Are you infringing on my liberty to do whatever the gently caress I want? That's communism.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

trucutru posted:

Are you infringing on my liberty to do whatever the gently caress I want? That's communism.

i'm not seeing any yeehaws here... i smell a redneck shill.

WHO PAID YOU?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
man somalia must have a bitchin' bitcoin scene, waht with its lack of regulations and communism and the desire for a more perfect monetary system and all that

let's check it out

:argh: buttcoinERS!!! :argh:

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

The Management posted:

so thermos figured out he wants to pocket this money, but has to make it look legit instead of just shutting down the site and absconding with the bitcoins? seems like a lot of work, and his approach is very amateurish.

all he had to do was claim he was hacked and the bitcoins converted to cosbycoins.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Linguica posted:

has anyone said "Dodgecoin"
yeah http://www.goatse.cx/

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Shifty Pony posted:

You just know that developing for thermos would be hell. feature creep and completely arbitrary functionality integrated in nonsensical ways with no grasp of just how insane the ideas are. A stream of consciousness straight from am idea guy.

but for $300k a year...

$300k a year in buttcoins

hes not paying them actualmoney

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fool_of_sound posted:

benevolent bit-tater

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
look what i found today

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

the paper sign on the door is a corrected opening times schedule where its open 2hrs a day instead of 8 right ?

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

lol holy poo poo, i assumed they were one of those shady multi-level marketing companies but nope, actual ponzi scheme

also as they've been dead for years this is presumably the buttcoin equivalent of getting your cat a doctorate in hypnotherapy?

buttcoiners repeating economic history in fast forward, again

Wikipedia posted:

Several organisations of "deceived investors" made efforts to recover their lost investments, but Sergei Mavrodi manipulated their indignation and directed it at the government. In August 1994 Mavrodi was arrested for tax evasion. However, he was soon elected to the Russian State Duma, with the support of the "deceived investors". He argued that the government, not MMM, was responsible for people losing their money, and promised to initiate a pay-back program. The amount ultimately paid back was minuscule compared to the amount owed.

:vince:

Wikipedia on Sergei Mavrodi posted:

In January 2011, Mavrodi launched another pyramid scheme called MMM-2011, asking investors to buy so-called Mavro currency units. He frankly described it as a pyramid, adding "It is a naked scheme, nothing more ... People interact with each other and give each other money. For no reason!" Mavrodi said that his goal with MMM-2011 is to destroy the current financial system, which he considers unfair, which would allow something new to take its place. MMM-2011 was able to function openly as Ponzi schemes and financial pyramids are not illegal under Russian law. In May 2012 he froze the operation and announced that there would be no more payouts.

In 2011 he launched a similar scheme in India, called MMM India, again stating clearly that the vehicle is a pyramid. He was reported to be trying to expand his operations into Western Europe, Canada, and Latin America.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Herman Merman posted:

buttcoiners repeating economic history in fast forward, again

:vince:

he must have specially-fitted pants to fit those enormous balls

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

is is closed for good?

reminder of the good times we've had:

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

why do they always have bowties?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

prefect posted:

he must have specially-fitted pants to fit those enormous balls
why is a scam artist of this magnitude wasting his time with penny-ante bullshit like bitcoins?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

TVarmy posted:

quote:

Diddle kids? Reddit will defend your diddling. gently caress dogs? Reddit will host your videos. Have a thing for rape? Reddit will offer advice on restraint techniques. Just hate women and think there's a big conspiracy afoot to steal semen? Reddit will host a loving convention for your kind of crazy.

Reddit is the scum of the earth and what niche allure it has for folks is overshadowed by the festering abyss of human filth it houses.

You know when you were a kid and your dad was shaving and you'd pretend-shave beside him because you thought it made you look grown-up? Everything Redditors do is that same talismanic grasping at symbols of adulthood and sophistication tinged with an air of desperately overthinking it while completely missing the point.

If I use a real straight-razor and make my own lather with a badger brush then that makes me manly and attractive, even though I have scraggly unkempt hair and I'm 50 pounds overweight. If I wear a fedora it will make me cool and sophisticated, even though I'm wearing it with jorts and a le meme t-shirt. If I smoke an ecig then I look hard-boiled and interesting, even though my baby palate means I have to puff candy-flavored clouds of nicotine water from a robot's dick.

Insert bowties anywhere in there

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

kwinkles posted:

Ben Evolent bit Tater
poor pup :( ben is not a good person.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

TVarmy posted:

that's like asking why they always wear suits that don't fit

business people wear suits and rich people wear bowties for special occasions

therefore ergo vis-a-vis coiners must wear a suit and bowtie at all times to show they are rich business men

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Insert bowties anywhere in there

pretty much yeah

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Linguica posted:

has anyone said "Dodgecoin"

I did but it was taken over by fiat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

unpacked robinhood posted:

the paper sign on the door is a corrected opening times schedule where its open 2hrs a day instead of 8 right ?

actually yes but only today

• Locked thread