Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
A new WWE Network viewer here and so far I've learned that Countdown is pretty great. The Blunders countdown ruled and the bad gimmick one is pretty entertaining too. I'm actually pretty impressed by it. The sheer amount of stuff here is awesome, I'm gonna check out the final WCW PPV Greed next.

The Monday Night Wars show is pretty obviously biased, but still interesting, the NWO episode is pretty entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

OldTennisCourt posted:

A new WWE Network viewer here and so far I've learned that Countdown is pretty great. The Blunders countdown ruled and the bad gimmick one is pretty entertaining too. I'm actually pretty impressed by it. The sheer amount of stuff here is awesome, I'm gonna check out the final WCW PPV Greed next.

The Monday Night Wars show is pretty obviously biased, but still interesting, the NWO episode is pretty entertaining.

Be sure to watch NXT. That's a must watch every week.

As for myself I think my next day off i'm gonna really sit down and go through every ECW Hardcore TV they have up. To any of the goons who were ECW fans, has any of it held up over time?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

BigRed0427 posted:

Be sure to watch NXT. That's a must watch every week.

As for myself I think my next day off i'm gonna really sit down and go through every ECW Hardcore TV they have up. To any of the goons who were ECW fans, has any of it held up over time?

When does NXT transform from Reality Competition to Third Show so I can go through the back catalog.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I think the only NXT episodes in the back catalog on the Network are from this year, when it's only been a "brand" or developmental territory.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Oh man, Hulk Hogan's hair at Halloween Havoc 1996.

Also, we're about 10 (plodding) minutes into the match and Hogan still has his sunglasses on.

...oh, wait, both were later used as jokes. Well that's okay then.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Michael Buffer is not impressed

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Daniel Bryan posted:

I think the only NXT episodes in the back catalog on the Network are from this year, when it's only been a "brand" or developmental territory.

Yea they only had 4 or 5 up when the network launched

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I miss King of the Ring. Watching old Pay Per Views has driven that point home for me. Why did they ever stop doing it?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Baby Babbeh posted:

I miss King of the Ring. Watching old Pay Per Views has driven that point home for me. Why did they ever stop doing it?

It was never a PPV draw and the shows were often among the worst of the year. They brought it back for Smackdown and Raw specials and it didn't even work as a ratings draw.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
It needs to come back.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I would like King of the Ring to come back, but only if they didn't insist on calling the winner "King (Wrestler's Name)" and giving them some loving lame royalty gimmick.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

TheJoker138 posted:

I would like King of the Ring to come back, but only if they didn't insist on calling the winner "King (Wrestler's Name)" and giving them some loving lame royalty gimmick.

That's kind of the whole point. King Cesaro or King Ziggler would be fun. Can't even say it's career suicide, it worked wonders for King Booker.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BGrifter posted:

That's kind of the whole point. King Cesaro or King Ziggler would be fun. Can't even say it's career suicide, it worked wonders for King Booker.

King Booker made me hate Booker T because of how loving annoying Queen Charmel was.

Also Austin won it and wasn't saddled with a "ha ha you're a loving idiot who thinks you're ACTUALLY a king lol" gimmick.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

TheJoker138 posted:

King Booker made me hate Booker T because of how loving annoying Queen Charmel was.

Also Austin won it and wasn't saddled with a "ha ha you're a loving idiot who thinks you're ACTUALLY a king lol" gimmick.

On the flipside the Macho King and King William Regal were fantastic. Some guys take a silly gimmick and make it work.

On the surface it's not a good idea, but these days with so much filler crap and talented guys trapped in the midcard I'd be happy to see KotR back.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Two words. Damien Kingdow.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

They really missed a trick not having King Brock come out in a big goofy robe and Crown with silly music and then murdering people in 30 seconds

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i don't understand why people like king of the ring so much because it almost never provided good matches and the winners almost always got very lackluster pushes. i'm glad it's gone.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Maybe because it helped launch Steve Austin's career / the Austin 3:16 thing?

My best/only real KOTR memory is when Angle sent Shane McMahon through that glass/window stuff with the logo on it.

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

Lacey is really good actually
Thing is with King of the ring, when it was done well it was done really well, King of harts Owen Hart, Steve Austin getting his mega push even edge having the KOTR trophy that year was entertaining, King Kurt was great and even King Mable was entertaining. the problem is people focus on the shamrocks and the billy gunns

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

Brokenogre posted:

Thing is with King of the ring, when it was done well it was done really well, King of harts Owen Hart, Steve Austin getting his mega push even edge having the KOTR trophy that year was entertaining, King Kurt was great and even King Mable was entertaining. the problem is people focus on the shamrocks and the billy gunns

King Mabel led to some of the worst main events I've ever watched so no it was not entertaining

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i would've loved to have seen king mabel, wwf champion

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

BigRed0427 posted:

I spent the majority of last week watching them and it's a fun show. You'll get some good matches sometimes but the promos are good to excellent. Public Enemy are featured a lot but they're fairly pretty funny in the promo department. Expect a lot of clips though since they recap a lot.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Cardboard Box posted:

i don't understand why people like king of the ring so much because it almost never provided good matches and the winners almost always got very lackluster pushes. i'm glad it's gone.

Because tournaments are awesome.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Why not just have the King of the Ring tournament but not have it be its won pay-per-view. Have the final match at a Survivor Series or something.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

That DICK! posted:

Why not just have the King of the Ring tournament but not have it be its won pay-per-view. Have the final match at a Survivor Series or something.

They've tried that. '06 KOTR final match was on Judgment Day. (The first one held after it stopped being an actual PPV)

AlbertRayon
Sep 9, 2004

Hey, hey what can I do? I got a woman, she won't be true.
King of the Ring would be great to see again as long as they didn't Billy Gunn it.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

TL posted:

Because tournaments are awesome.

i think new japan has just spoiled me with amazing tournaments because i just can't see king of the ring as good at all

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

do a KOTR tournament on Main Event as a Network draw.

e: or if you want KOTR back just buy the 2014 BOLA DVDs because they own

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Do King of the Ring on a NXT Special, the winner gets an IC Title shot at the next NXT Special...

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Pet Rock Band posted:

Do King of the Ring on a NXT Special, the winner gets an IC Title shot at the next NXT Special...

Or how about a Royal Rumble spot?

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Cardboard Box posted:

Goons just really are suckers for tournaments. The problem is that it never works in WWE because it's almost always enhancement talent and then the super obvious John Cena winner of the tournament. Remember not too long ago when they did it with Sheamus?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Cardboard Box posted:

Mostly because I like my wrestling to either be good or very very bad. With KOTR we've seen a few entertaining winners and a bunch of hilariously awful ones.

The problem with a lot of the current product is it tends to be just bland and mediocre. I'll take a boom or bust gimmick like KOTR over safe and boring any day.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

WadeBartender posted:

King Mabel led to some of the worst main events I've ever watched so no it was not entertaining

The creation of King Mabel led to the royal fat-rear end face-crushing legdrop that killed the original Undertaker, and created The Phantom of The Undertaker. And that was actually really neat, because wrestlers in masks are neat.

Also: The King of the Ring could be a cool idea, but they never really treated it as a big deal.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
King William Regal was awesome

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
King of the Ring is a neat concept yeah, but if you fill the tournament with guys that are over and people actually care about then you have to have all but one of them lose. The only real ways around that are to have a bunch of nobodies in the tournament or have a bunch of dumb non-finishes. Granted nobodies and non-finishes are kind of a problem in current WWE but we don't need something that helps encourage that by it's nature.

Also the idea that KIng of the Ring started a push for a lot of guys is really overblown.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Kane and big show had a 5 star classic at KOTR.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
It started pushes for guys they wanted to push. Otherwise it just became another PPV where you had to do the King of the Ring every year so you have to put the crown on somebody.

Also, the idea that it launched Steve Austin is kind of silly. Sure, it started 3:16 but it was still a whole almost 2 years before he was truly the top star of the company.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I kind of liked the idea of King of the Ring being a NXT/Network thing that led to an IC title match at a NXT special. I think that's because in that scenario it treats the IC belt like something that matters and is some huge goal for the NXT roster. And it just made me imagine that NXT could quasi rehabilitate that title by making it into a kind of "AP course" for the NXT wrestlers as a fast track to the WWE roster. A bunch of NXT wrestlers kill each other to get a shot at Dolph Ziggler and the IC belt so he can come down to NXT Takeover and they can try to beat him and win themselves a title that could change their careers.

But I've also said before that I think if WWE just put more Network exclusive special events like King of the Ring on the Network that catered to kind of niche audiences and existed somewhat outside the WWE storytelling that it would probably be the quickest way to get me to subscribe to the Network. Give me something you're not giving me on TV and I can't just get somewhere else.

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

Lacey is really good actually

WadeBartender posted:

I completely agree about it being some awful main events but it lead to some entertaining wrestlecrap, and sometimes thats all you need for entertainment, I didn't say it lead to greatness at all just smiles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Daniel Bryan posted:

It started pushes for guys they wanted to push. Otherwise it just became another PPV where you had to do the King of the Ring every year so you have to put the crown on somebody.

Also, the idea that it launched Steve Austin is kind of silly. Sure, it started 3:16 but it was still a whole almost 2 years before he was truly the top star of the company.
Unless you were Sheamus where it was meant to bury you because Dunn didn't like you