Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You can use the shockwave on the test of strength towers?! That... would have saved me an awful lot of time.

Speaking of time, on that first challenge map when you got down to two goons and said you couldn't take them out because they were staying together.

Does the (future gadget)disrupter not work on the invincible guy, or did you just forget it or avoid it so it would be fresh for the main story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

FoolyCharged posted:

You can use the shockwave on the test of strength towers?! That... would have saved me an awful lot of time.

Speaking of time, on that first challenge map when you got down to two goons and said you couldn't take them out because they were staying together.

Does the (future gadget)disrupter not work on the invincible guy, or did you just forget it or avoid it so it would be fresh for the main story?

Kind of forgot I had it, honestly. I'm not as used to playing as Robin/Nightwing, so I frequently forget what they've got as far as gadgets goes. But that would definitely have done the trick.

Discendo Vox posted:

After seeing your impressive performances in the challenge rooms so far, and knowing that you're not going to upload every single permutation (though the stealth rooms/campaigns are different between characters), I figure you might as well challenge yourself. Can you do the last level of stealth campaign, and that one DLC combat room, as catwoman?

I'll play your game, you rat. When I upload those, it'll be as Catwoman. Not sure which DLC combat you're talking about, but I assume it's the long one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

I thought you can't do them without it?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'm fairly sure that it's impossible to get one in the Industrial District without it.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
I love how all the enemies will politely wait for Batman when he's on the phone. They do block picking up the phone at the start if around though, and it gets irritating when they keep running up while you're trying to pick up (and then of course the stupid phone stops ringing right after the fight because of course it does *sigh*).

I see you tagged one of my nemesis trophies, the "dive down from on high hard enough onto the pad and shockwave" ones. Judging the right location to start going down to hit the pad from high enough was always a pain for me. That second one you mentioned reduced me to massive profanity trying to get everything to work right. The fact Batman seemed to like to stumble off the pad when he hit when I controlled him (and you need to stay on the pad and throw a Batarang to actually finish it) was the icing on the cake that made me decide I am required to ball-punch whoever designed them if I ever meet them in real life (had similar "stumble off the pad" issues with the line launcher pads, too). But, amazingly enough, I actually finished the campaign and all the bonus stuff. Still debating if I'm going to screw with all the campaign and challenge room stuff, but at least Arkham City itself is clear. Not bad considering I never finished the game when it came out thanks to the frustration from various things.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
You do use the vantage points in predator rooms an awful lot. Which is understandable because they're super-useful, but it might be nice to see you do some of the predator challenges while making more use of the other stealth options. I always liked to do that, since the rooms become a lot more tense when you're using the grates, vents and terrain to hide you instead of just swinging around in the rafters from pounce to pounce.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
You know, I thought Batman had an obsession with punching people in the rear end to knock them out, but then Nightwing comes along and smacks a downed guy in the junk with an electrified eskrima stick.

The good guys, everyone!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Gothsheep posted:

You do use the vantage points in predator rooms an awful lot. Which is understandable because they're super-useful, but it might be nice to see you do some of the predator challenges while making more use of the other stealth options. I always liked to do that, since the rooms become a lot more tense when you're using the grates, vents and terrain to hide you instead of just swinging around in the rafters from pounce to pounce.
He'll have to. There's one Predator room in particular that only really allows you to use vantage point for escaping.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I choose to believe that Batman gets some of Riddler's questions wrong on purpose at times, just to piss him off. :allears:

On other notes, I kinda like the new Penguin in this game. The glass bottle monocle is a bit much, though.

And I can't help but wonder why Batman pissed off Zsasz on the phone when he said that he has hostages and when he's trying to triangulate his location.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 16, 2014

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

What happens if you disrupt a guy shooting at a vantage point before he breaks it?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think it either breaks anyway or you manage to preserve it. I've been pretty quick about taking some of those guys out when they do it, but I've still had instances where one of my vantage points was still broken.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

dscruffy1 posted:

I'm fairly sure that it's impossible to get one in the Industrial District without it.

It's quite possible I popped the shockwave out of boredom during my 5 billion attempts at it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I really like how all the playable characters play differently.

Is Nightwing only usable in challenge runs?

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
On reading Pammy's story, I'm still trying to figure out what constitutes as "misusing" her plants. Is it just buying them as a peace offering to the person you wronged? Is it not following the care instructions? I mean, I know Ivy is a bit touchy when it comes to treating plants right, but I wonder why she decided to open a flower shop in the first place if she wasn't going to be happy with the way people treated them.

As for Zsasz, I think as long as he's pissed at Batman, he might be less likely to turn his attention to the hostages. Or something.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Nihilarian posted:

I really like how all the playable characters play differently.

Is Nightwing only usable in challenge runs?

Unfortunately yes. He's the only 1 of the 4 playable characters to not have any sort of sandbox gameplay. I had hoped that Dick would get his turn in Origins, but....well that game was built to let me down.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I still can't get over the fact that they named Nightwing's batarang-equivalent a "Wing-Ding".

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Now that's what I call a killer font.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Kobanya posted:

On reading Pammy's story, I'm still trying to figure out what constitutes as "misusing" her plants. Is it just buying them as a peace offering to the person you wronged? Is it not following the care instructions? I mean, I know Ivy is a bit touchy when it comes to treating plants right, but I wonder why she decided to open a flower shop in the first place if she wasn't going to be happy with the way people treated them.

As for Zsasz, I think as long as he's pissed at Batman, he might be less likely to turn his attention to the hostages. Or something.

Going by the in-game story, she appears to have been pissed that the guy was using them to try and smooth over his adultery. Maybe she considered that to be a really scummy way to use her babies?

Would've made a lot more sense if she went off on someone who mistreated the flowers themselves, though. One more entry for the "Poison Ivy is really badly characterized in this game" file.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Alien Arcana posted:

Going by the in-game story, she appears to have been pissed that the guy was using them to try and smooth over his adultery. Maybe she considered that to be a really scummy way to use her babies?

Would've made a lot more sense if she went off on someone who mistreated the flowers themselves, though. One more entry for the "Poison Ivy is really badly characterized in this game" file.

She's also, remember, bat-poo poo insane.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Ivy doesn't just really like plants, she also kind of despises people. She really would only find happiness if she moved into the middle of nowhere by herself. And even then she would likely find problems with the animals.

I know one comic implied she moved from Gotham and went to live with Swamp Thing, seeing as he would be one of the few beings in existence who she could relate too.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Onmi posted:

I know one comic implied she moved from Gotham and went to live with Swamp Thing, seeing as he would be one of the few beings in existence who she could relate too.

I think that was BTAS. She moved in with him (though he was still human at the time) and just studied botany in the wilderness, leaving behind a plant clone to keep Harley company and distract Batman.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think that was BTAS. She moved in with him (though he was still human at the time) and just studied botany in the wilderness, leaving behind a plant clone to keep Harley company and distract Batman.

I always like comic stories that have possible "endings" for characters. Obviously nobody wants comic characters to "end"--but it's nice to see what could possibly be endings for them. I could see Ivy living in peace in such an environment.

It's kind of like some of the "what if" comics, like in a world where Batman has died and Damian Wayne becomes the new, more murderous, Batman who still maintains peace in Gotham in his own way.

Batman RIP also demonstrated an "end" for the Joker, given that as soon as Batman was "killed" by Darkseid, Joker straight up vanished.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Technowolf posted:

I still can't get over the fact that they named Nightwing's batarang-equivalent a "Wing-Ding".

I'd never noticed it but that is hilarious. I guess if Batman has batarangs and Robin has birdarangs (no really, Robin has birdarangs), Nightwing is either stuck with night-arangs or coming up with another dumb name.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

I'd never noticed it but that is hilarious. I guess if Batman has batarangs and Robin has birdarangs (no really, Robin has birdarangs), Nightwing is either stuck with night-arangs or coming up with another dumb name.

Wing-dings just seems like a dick joke. All the best Nightwing comics revolve around dick jokes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TwoPair posted:

No really, Robin has birdarangs

Still better than Wing Ding.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Wing-dings just seems like a dick joke. All the best Nightwing comics revolve around dick jokes.

It might explain why batman is such a dick to him.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Waltzing Along posted:

It might explain why batman is such a dick to him.

And his name too.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

What kind of dick names himself Nightwing?

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Said the Riddler.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'm not gonna call out what they are ahead of time but I will say that Robin does not have Birdarangs. They are called something else.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I think I heard my favourite grunt insult in the Nightwing rumble segment. One of the grunts says "your mother won't recognize you when we're finished with you" yeah...sorry to disappoint you, guy

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Does anybody else find Dick's face look kinda... odd? I mean, compared to all other character models, he looks like he'd be better placed in Gerry Anderson puppet show.

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
It has something to do with his chin. I noticed that too, when he moves around right before the maps start. The top part of his face is fine, but his chin seems to jut out at a weird angle.

As for his use of "Wing-Dings", that really just makes me think of snack cakes. I kind of imagine that being a pretty good distraction for the thugs in Arkham City though:

"Hey, look, food!" "The hell did those come from? Are those snack cakes?" "Who cares, let's eat 'em!" and then cue getting a bird boot to the face.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, comic book Batman has been known to utilize cakes in the past. In pretty much the described fashion, if I remember those advertisements correctly.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh, let us travel down the hole of comics stupidity.

See, Nightwing is actually a legacy name, referring to the Batman of Krypton.

No seriously. Way way way way way back when, Nightwing and Flamebird were two costumed vigilantes that fought crime on Krypton. For a while back in the golden age comics Superman and Jimmy suited up as Nightwing and Flamebird to fight crime in Kandor. Somehow Grayson heard the name and decided to use it.

Also yes Nightwing's -arangs are canonically named Wing-Dings in the comics. Knowing Dick he probably named them that way so that his enemies would be distracted by the sheer ludicrousness of the name long enough for him to punch them.

Samovar posted:

Does anybody else find Dick's face look kinda... odd? I mean, compared to all other character models, he looks like he'd be better placed in Gerry Anderson puppet show.

I think it's cause he's mapped onto someone else's model and his head is just modeled wrong for the body.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 17, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Kobanya posted:

It has something to do with his chin. I noticed that too, when he moves around right before the maps start. The top part of his face is fine, but his chin seems to jut out at a weird angle.

As for his use of "Wing-Dings", that really just makes me think of snack cakes. I kind of imagine that being a pretty good distraction for the thugs in Arkham City though:

"Hey, look, food!" "The hell did those come from? Are those snack cakes?" "Who cares, let's eat 'em!" and then cue getting a bird boot to the face.

The set-up for a new line of Hostess snack comic-book commercials.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The set-up for a new line of Hostess snack comic-book commercials.

By the way, every time someone wants to complain about something in this game being too gritty. Keep in mind Marvel went and wrote a comic in which a villain came and murdered the Hostess Snack universe Spiderman, and Spiderman and his Amazing Friends. Because gently caress you happiness and joy.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Has anyone else noticed that Dicks leaping animation seems a little off? There was a bit where he sort of lept to the ground and over a railing parkour style, but both animations looks very similar and something about the whole thing didn't gel very well with me. I'm thinking this DLC was a bit rushed out the door.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Onmi posted:

By the way, every time someone wants to complain about something in this game being too gritty. Keep in mind Marvel went and wrote a comic in which a villain came and murdered the Hostess Snack universe Spiderman, and Spiderman and his Amazing Friends. Because gently caress you happiness and joy.
Don't bring that up, unless you want to hear Opinions on Spider-Girl.

Zeniel posted:

Has anyone else noticed that Dicks leaping animation seems a little off? There was a bit where he sort of lept to the ground and over a railing parkour style, but both animations looks very similar and something about the whole thing didn't gel very well with me. I'm thinking this DLC was a bit rushed out the door.

Yeah, I'm guessing so. He hasn't even got any dialogue so far as I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, I'm guessing so. He hasn't even got any dialogue so far as I can tell.

Thugs do get different dialogue in Predator sections though.

• Locked thread