Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I hope this series goes long enough to delve into the fact that the main character isn't a mutant but has legit super powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ethiser posted:

I hope this series goes long enough to delve into the fact that the main character isn't a mutant but has legit super powers.

If you use mutant gene therapy to change your DNA, are you still not a mutant?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Gyges posted:

If you use mutant gene therapy to change your DNA, are you still not a mutant?

Depends. Some american comics have weighed in on this issue with a firm no, but others have done the opposite. It really comes down to how strictly the term is defined in-universe.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Zero_Tactility posted:

I'm having trouble making the connection here. That doesn't seem like it follows even using goofy comic book physics.

EDIT: Seems like it might be a good way to create wind, though.
Since it's make-believe poo poo that can't ever happen in real life I dunno what the hell would happen if you could remove the mass/gravity of air.

The only two things I could guess would be the the unaffected air surrounding the area would rush in and disperse the mass-less air, or the air-pressure of the area would drop to 0 since gravity couldn't affect it. You'd either not be able to breathe, or have basically end up explosively decompressing.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Removing the effects of gravity on air wouldn't create a vacuum. No matter where the air moved to it would just get replaced with other air. And why wouldn't people be able to breathe? People can breathe in the space station, and that air is (effectively) not affected by gravity.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, it would create a gust of wind proportionate to the amount of air getting displaced.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Why did Deku's toe shine in the very first chapter as if it was about to activate? It seems weird to just have that just to introduce the reason behind mutant powers.

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:

pandaK posted:

Why did Deku's toe shine in the very first chapter as if it was about to activate? It seems weird to just have that just to introduce the reason behind mutant powers.

If I am remembering correctly, the source of the quirks is a bone or something in the toe. Deku not having one is the reason why he doesn't have superpowers.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Most of this physics talk is baseless until we know whether she's removing weight (through the force of gravity) or mass. There's a world of difference between the two.

If, and this is a big if, the author has thought it through it's probably removing the mass; she was able to stop Deku from falling to his death and only removing only gravity wouldn't have made an immediate difference. Removing mass would allow the drag from air to bring him to a stop very quickly.

Re air chat:

Removing weight (gravity) from the air it would accomplish nothing besides creating a strong wind as air was replaced. Like how hot air rises in a balloon, only from a different cause.

Removing the mass from the air wouldn't even cause that; the pressure wouldn't even change.

On the other hand adding a lot of mass to air would make it difficult or impossible to breathe. Adding a lot of gravity (weight) to the air would probably have the same effect as a constricting snake.

Also explosive decompression (as in literally exploding/bursting out of your skin) is a myth.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Why the gently caress are you nerds talking physics about this manga? It is a cool power and it will do whatever it needs to be cool, physics be damned.

But, but, she removed the gravity from that ball and threw it infinitely upwards! But... what about air friction? :smug: shouldn't that have stopped the gravity-less ball? The author is obviously not giving it enough thought.
:goonsay:

Edit: This manga is great and I hope the author never gives a poo poo about physics.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

This is a manga where people get superpowers from a tiny bone in their toe. The physics in this world work however the author drat-well pleases.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Deku is double jointed in his toe.
Deku also has no 'quirk', ie no superpower.

He's a rarity in both the real world and the manga's.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It's not that the toe is what gives them powers, it's that the lack of joint is an indication that the person has evolved further than a standard human (because the toe joint is vestigial) and therefore part of the "new generation" that has powers.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
So to be more accurate, this is a series where superpowers are gained by NOT having a tiny bone in your toe.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Not gained by, but indicated by.

I'm probably being too pedantic about this.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

No, this is a world where everyone has a superpower, but the lamest superpower is being double-jointed in your toe! :colbert:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Goddamnit the toes not a superpower.
It's your average everyday real-life weird thing.

It's why the joke is funny.
Damnit.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

AfroSquirrel posted:

No, this is a world where everyone has a superpower, but the lamest superpower is being double-jointed in your toe! :colbert:

Damnit, I was going to say this. Deku totally has a quirk! It's just that his quirk is a really goddamn lovely one.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Goddamnit the toes not a superpower.
It's your average everyday real-life weird thing.

It's why the joke is funny.
Damnit.
]Jokes? At Somethingawful.com!? Not on our watch!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
http://bato.to/read/_/285569/boku-no-hero-academia_ch9_by_fallen-angels New chapter is out!

EDIT: I love that kacchan's "sympathetic backstory" is that he has always been an rear end in a top hat and no one has ever stopped him from being an rear end in a top hat, so now he's super pissed because someone is standing up to him. He is so extremely villainous it is ridiculous.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 17, 2014

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Jesus christ Kacchan. :stare:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Kyte posted:

Jesus christ Kacchan. :stare:

hah, he's just a sweaty hothead

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Despite his sheer jackassery I kind of like him. He's become an rear end in a top hat because his environment and ability affirmed the typical kid egocentrism to unhealthy levels.

Plus it'll make it all the greater when he gets the snot beaten out of him.
Multiple times, probably, he looks like the stubborn sort.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Iida has the best plans.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Basically the "You're a special snowflake" syndrome taken to the extreme.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Sindai posted:

Iida has the best plans.

He's so earnest!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Kyte posted:

Despite his sheer jackassery I kind of like him. He's become an rear end in a top hat because his environment and ability affirmed the typical kid egocentrism to unhealthy levels.

Plus it'll make it all the greater when he gets the snot beaten out of him.
Multiple times, probably, he looks like the stubborn sort.

I was thinking when reading it Holy poo poo, this is potentially the worstest generation.

Other things I like about this chapter/mini-arc: The nuke is the not-Taepodong missile.

Also, Iida:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah so Iida is the best character.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rodyle posted:

Yeah so Iida is the best character.

Basically, yeah. Iida is my new favorite character in this.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Iida actually looks pretty legit sinister in his costume.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
This is a surprisingly fun manga, and I'm loving the art style. I also agree that Iida is the best as Oblivious Genius.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's going to be a shame when this series inevitably devolves into tournament arcs and stuff but if the cast can remain as consistently entertaining, it won't even bug me.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
Echoing what others have said: Kacchan v. Deku is almost literally textbook Fixed vs. Growth Mindset. We've seen plenty of shonen stuff that pits scrappy, underprivileged hero against privileged, popular rival, but I've never seen that specific theme hit this hard and this effectively before. Great stuff!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Bakugou is no lie one of the scariest antagonists I think I've ever seen in a shonen. Dude is just made of raw anger which is somehow more frightening than being evil.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's going to be a shame when this series inevitably devolves into tournament arcs and stuff but if the cast can remain as consistently entertaining, it won't even bug me.

The way I see this going wrong is if we start getting hit with SERIOUS PLOT. So keep an eye out for that, I guess.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

kidcoelacanth posted:

Bakugou is no lie one of the scariest antagonists I think I've ever seen in a shonen. Dude is just made of raw anger which is somehow more frightening than being evil.

You could say he's a bomb ready to explode.

YourHealthyColon
Nov 21, 2013
The scans are a bit behind the raws so I'm sorry to inform you that the plot does indeed get serious fast. On the other hand frog girl features prominently so maybe its a wash

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
But is it bad serious or good serious. Right now it's more or less serious, but not the bad kind of serious where everybody's frowning and pretending to be dark and broody.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, I mean, of course an actual plot is going to be introduced, but does it change the tone of the work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YourHealthyColon
Nov 21, 2013
I dunno cause i cant read moonspeak, but there's alot of blood, tears and other bodily fluids.