Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah still not worth the work imo. Maybe if it was free, even then probably not :v:

I'd part it out if I were him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Is it just that picture or do late '80s Audis all look like GM products? Debadge that thing and hand me a bottle of gin and I'd swear on my left nut it was a post-'85 Buick/Olds front clip grafted onto a '90s Caprice wagon.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

goin' to see this tomorrow :getin:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It costs $900 to replace the fan belt in a 1995 Volvo 850?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

It costs $900 to replace the fan belt in a 1995 Volvo 850?

Since it doesn't have a fan belt, I'm assuming she paid the mechanic when he said a belt needed replacing, and that it's either the timing or serpentine belt.

It also doesn't have a heating "element".

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

atomicthumbs posted:

It also doesn't have a heating "element".

I dunno, the engine sure does generate a lot of heat :v:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Speaking of hot Volvos:

Full text,

quote:

1986 Volvo 740 Wagon with a V8 Chevy LT1 engine and a 6 speed manual Camero transmission
$5900 obo
Body has 172*** miles on it
Engine has about 66000 miles on it
290 hp and 325 ftlbs of torque at the rear wheels (dyno available)

350 Chevy LT1 V8 from a 1994 Corvette
Borg Warner/Tremec 6 speed from a 1994 Camaro
3.73 gears with a Volvo G80 locking rear differential
Griffin radiator with two electric fans
Bilstein shocks and struts
Strut tower brace
Upgraded brakes from a later model Volvo with braided stainless brake hoses
Custom exhaust 2 1/2" mandrel bent from each bank into a single 3" with two mufflers in series - quiet enough for normal driving, but sounds good
Volvo air flow kit - rare option in the 80s
Winter tires - near new on alloy wheels (turbo Volvo)
Momo steering wheel
Replaced tweed interior
Bluetooth/Sirius XM stereo
1 1/4" hitch receiver

Rust free - southern car until about 2 years ago
Air conditioning works great
Shifts fast and smooth
Drives great

Worst tank of gas was 19 mpg. I routinely get 23 to 25 mpg

Maintenance in the last two years includes:
Water pump
Rear brake pads
Rear u-joint
Tie rod ends and rubber bellows on the rack with alignment
Transmission fluid
Differential fluid
Brake fluid
Regular Mobile 1 full synthetic oil changes with premium Purolator Synthetic filters

If the posting is still up, the car is still for sale. I'm not interested in trades.

I'll add pictures of the interior soon.

I believe I am the third owner since the conversion. I purchased the car from an old co-worker recently, but a major change in life plans means that I won't need a car anymore. Call or email with any questions.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Look a corvette motor and a camero transmission! :psyduck:

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
"a major change in life plans means that I won't need a car anymore"

so, prison?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

buttcrackmenace posted:

"a major change in life plans means that I won't need a car anymore"

so, prison?

Successful DUI conviction?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Look a corvette motor and a camero transmission! :psyduck:

Well the LT1 corvette flywheel is impossible to find, are you saying maybe this isn't a 4 bolt main lt1?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Elephanthead posted:

Well the LT1 corvette flywheel is impossible to find, are you saying maybe this isn't a 4 bolt main lt1?

What I'm saying is every motor swap on craigslist is a "corvette" motor.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
So many corvettes with no motors.

Ironic I see so many 70s-80s breadtrucks and vans missing 350s though.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I rarely see corvettes in the yards. Maybe they get picked over quick. v :) v

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Nah, there are corvette recyclers that pick up every one of them that they can. Someone posted an article recently how pick n pull yards are rapidly changing that mentioned it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

Nah, there are corvette recyclers that pick up every one of them that they can. Someone posted an article recently how pick n pull yards are rapidly changing that mentioned it.

Exactly this. drat near every east coast salvage Porsche part ends up in Rocky Mount North Carolina now at DC Automotive. It's a business model and appears to be a good one.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Motronic posted:

Exactly this. drat near every east coast salvage Porsche part ends up in Rocky Mount North Carolina now at DC Automotive. It's a business model and appears to be a good one.

and then there's everyone's favorite LA Porsche Dismantlers on the west coast...I think there's also a fairly reputable place in OK but I haven't purchased used porsche parts in a while.

As for corvette/camaro/firebird/anything LS I always came across these guys: http://www.clevelandpickapart.com/

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
AAAAAAAA DAMMIT.

THE 1984 TRANS AM WENT BEFORE I COULD EVEN GET A RESPONSE FROM THE GUY.

:<

Anyways, here's my newest bad decision thing I'm looking at.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/4759465453.html

SEEMS pretty cheap for a SR20DET 240sx, especially considering the other ones I see are hilariously priced (15k+).

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Sperglord Firecock posted:

SEEMS pretty cheap for a SR20DET 240sx, especially considering the other ones I see are hilariously priced (15k+).

quote:

needs some kind of tuning
In the process of re-looming all of the engine wiring
Paint is not the greatest
Needs an alignment and sway bar brackets
tires are not the greatest
welded s13 dif

Plus the history of being used as a drift car.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The non-recirc BOV is probably what is wrong with it when he said it needs tuning.
Either way, pass on that one.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 257 days!)

I present to you: the elephantman saab!

Craigslist SFBay posted:

00' SAAB 93 CONVERTIBLE - $2600 (san jose downtown)

00' SAAB 93. CONVERTIBLE. 4 CILINDERS ENGINE.... AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION RUNS EXELLENT. NO ENGINE OR TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS. ONLY. 83.000 ORIIGINAL MILES, MAKE AN OFFER . YOU CAN SEE THE CAR AT. 1038 PEPITONE. AVE. SAN JOSE CA 95110. PLEASE CALL .BEFORE COMING. FOR A TEST. ASK FOR HECTOR. 408 947 14 49. ONLY PROBLEM IS THE CONVERTABLE TOP IS NOT WORKING PROPERLY. THE MOTOR WORKS BUT SOMETHING IS NOT WORKING. MAKE AN OFEER. AND DRIVE IT HOME. CALL 408 947 14 49.[/b]

Pay no attention to the fact that I can't spell very well, or that the front is severely broken. I'm only asking $2600! Call first, because I'm going to need to buy more zip ties if you want to test drive it. Also, the top doesn't work (for some reason).

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

AAAAAAAA DAMMIT.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

if you don't find that one appealing, there's a $900 9-3 with a V6 and salvage title parked on the street near where I live :q:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

atomicthumbs posted:

if you don't find that one appealing, there's a $900 9-3 with a V6 and salvage title parked on the street near where I live :q:

What year. :crossarms:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Viggen posted:

What year. :crossarms:

2003? I think, if it's still there.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

atomicthumbs posted:

2003? I think, if it's still there.

Probably has a dead LP9 (even if it is just hosed coilpacks) and Volvo 240 reliable electrics. It'll be there.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
Buy the item, not the story, sure, but:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/4753981671.html

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
C. Martin Croker seems like a cool dude, and that's a fair price for it anyway, I'd definitely get that.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
We've reached peak rear end in a top hat

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/4765767785.html

Of all the cars I could've bought 5-10 years ago at the confluence of "when they were cheaper" and "I could've actually afforded one" it's a toss up between E30s and 2002s.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

E30s are cool but jesus what the hell is going on.

Hide your sports cars everybody :tinfoil:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Its fine with me. Its really depressing the price of E34s and E39s. I noticed E36s are starting to creep north now....

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

leica posted:

Yesterday Jalopnik had a "four reasons you should buy an E39 540i" blog post. I high fived myself for already having one.

Now if only it was in decent shape...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

slidebite posted:

NOPE, JUST GOT IN CONTACT WITH HIM.

2 GRAND.

HOLY poo poo, IT'S HAPPENING.

NEWS???!!

:f5: :f5: :f5: :f5: :f5: :f5: :f5: :f5: :f5: :f5: :f5: :f5: :f5: :f5: :f5: :f5:

Inquiring minds want to know.
Is this car in your driveway yet Firecock?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Is this car in your driveway yet Firecock?

AAAAAAAA DAMMIT.

It won't ever be, unfortunately :smith::hf::krad:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

leica posted:

Good. Maybe I can get out of my car without losing a bunch of money now. :v:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Some Guy posted:

Please DO NOT reply if you are not buying

I am selling my personal car.
It is insured plated etested and safetied.
Body has zero rust. Underneath, in between, over and sides .....even the bolts underneath are new looking. There is just zero of it.

The car is a Japanese import euro spec Lazurblau (blue purple color) sedan. It came with an automatic and m20b20 motor which had a headgasket problem.

Swapped over an m20b25 from a donor with 158000km and it's verifiable through a VIN search. I bought the donor whole and it also came with a 3.73lsd. The donor motor was completely rebuilt (top end) along with a new clutch. Literally whole drivetrain was taken out, resealed and placed in the 320.

While it was out, the b25/g260 was resealed again. Input shaft seal, shifter seal, thermostat, oilpan gasket and valve cover as well. The car will come with a complete tune up kit including waterpump, timing belt/tensioner, cap/rotor etc so you need not take my word for it (especially the timing)

The insurance company stipulated/requested a professional (insurance approved) appraisal which had to be $10k or more. It was appraised at $11k with a 5year certificate.

The reason it was not more was due to the engine swap (not original) and the paint being 'just ok' and not perfect (scratches dents etc). Overall I would say the main area needing attention is the slicktop roof as it has scratches and cracked clearcoat.

A paint job would make this car perfect (negotiable)

Z3 shifter and new linkage bushings

Mtech2 rear wing

Sport steering

New OE muffler (nice n deep sound)

Aluminum engine arms from original b20 engine (car is as light as a base 318!, but with more power!) **about 2600 lbs.

Sedan specific black leather sport interior with rear headrests installed (heated seats but no harness as car never came with it) Zero rips

New brake rotors all around

New sport bilstein shocks all around

Lowered on used unknown mileage H&R sports springs (work fine and better than the stock springs, which are included) aligned and straight. Aligned and straight.

Carpet completely removed (cut around the heater core) and power washed thoroughly on both sides, then dried outside for a week in the sun. Carpet is now clean, not just clean looking.

Had for about four years in dry storage, and most mechanical work done professionally.

*Keys don't work in either door (lock mechanism needs rebuild, I use the trunk)

*the euro headlight adjustment feature doesn't work

*i don't plan on fixing these items unless I'm keeping the car

All electronics work. Sound system works. Cluster works.
A/C removed but included with sale along with appropriate plumbing

Asking $9000 safety and etest included.....trade plus cash???

Can text you pictures
Test drive available

Please ignore if you are not buying

Can somebody please explain why this person chose to import a pretty undesirable version of a car that was sold in Canada already, and inexplicably swap and engine from a 325i in? Why didn't he just buy a 325i? The only positives I can see about this car is the fact that it's a sunroof-less car and no rust. It could be a good base for a track car but not at this price I'm afraid. This isn't the first time I've seen very high prices for imported, basic versions of E30s either so maybe the rarity makes them worth it?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
what the hell are aluminum engine arms

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Motor mounts

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Human Grand Prix posted:

Can somebody please explain why this person chose to import a pretty undesirable version of a car that was sold in Canada already, and inexplicably swap and engine from a 325i in? Why didn't he just buy a 325i? The only positives I can see about this car is the fact that it's a sunroof-less car and no rust. It could be a good base for a track car but not at this price I'm afraid. This isn't the first time I've seen very high prices for imported, basic versions of E30s either so maybe the rarity makes them worth it?

Pretty sure the 320i would have been an M40 which everyone hates, so why not an M20?

It is hilariously overpriced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BraveUlysses posted:

Pretty sure the 320i would have been an M40 which everyone hates, so why not an M20?

320s were M20 cars in Europe IIRC.