Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Budget Cop posted:

thank you for your fifth grade report on why Kendrick Lamar's I is a good song Jimmy

:3: TYSM

Seriously it's good though. And we all should be listening to it.

Budget Cop posted:

I actually really like I a lot and like how positive it is but even i think it's corny as hell. I don't think a song being corny makes it bad though!

:3::hf::3:

7 RING SHRIMP fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

I actually really like I a lot and like how positive it is but even i think it's corny as hell. I don't think a song being corny makes it bad though!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Corny songs get labeled as such because they're painfully on the nose, not because they have positive messages hth

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

temple is probably the only poster here who makes long posts that is grounded in reality. "I" is a good song with a good message and just because it has a positive message and is a fun song that KIDS can get behind doesn't mean it has no merit you loving retards. Do you realize how pathetic you look when you dismiss any catch song with a positive message as "corny" because it's not made by some lame rear end internet rapper talking about how he has to ride (or drive, I guess) the bus?

Also alan you aren't half as clever as you think you are for spamming donglonger every time he gets brought up. Jesus Christ you're annoying.

Anyone who says "I" is a bad song is just honestly not listening well. It's not a bad song, the lyrics aren't terrible and its aesthetically pleasing as far as music is concerned. HOWEVER, I don't think most people can honestly believe that the same Kendrick Lamar that had people going crazy over his control verse also made "I". Is "I" really what he talked about killing the other rappers in the game with?? :cmon:

Kendrick has an interesting issue in that he made a very good, classic album very early on in his career and now people are going to expect that same type of music and will hold all new projects up to the GKMC standard for a long time coming. "I" doesn't fit that mold and some people aren't receiving it well. It's like Jay-z coming out with a 99 problems remix today after the slew of Blue Ivy related tracks that he has put out....it's just not him anymore.

If Kendrick wants to become the new Andre 3000 that's cool and all but people wouldn't expect that type of music coming from a dude from Compton.

On the subject of Macklemore, he is literally just stealing from rap culture(synonymous with black culture), profiting off of it heavily, and people are consuming it at a loving alarming rate. If the reason why he deserves a Grammy is because he makes uplifting music then Common should be swimming in them. poo poo half the reason his music is even tolerable is because of Ryan Lewis and people don't even act like he exists half the time and gets 0% of the credit.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

"I" sucks because it's horrible sounding, not because of all these other complicated sociopolitical reasons you fuckers are dreaming up.

Yuzenn posted:

It's not a bad song, the lyrics aren't terrible

really sellin it

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Yuzenn posted:

On the subject of Macklemore, he is literally just stealing from rap culture(synonymous with black culture), profiting off of it heavily, and people are consuming it at a loving alarming rate. If the reason why he deserves a Grammy is because he makes uplifting music then Common should be swimming in them. poo poo half the reason his music is even tolerable is because of Ryan Lewis and people don't even act like he exists half the time and gets 0% of the credit.

Common has 2 grammys btw.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

temple is probably the only poster here who makes long posts that is grounded in reality. "I" is a good song with a good message and just because it has a positive message and is a fun song that KIDS can get behind doesn't mean it has no merit you loving retards. Do you realize how pathetic you look when you dismiss any catch song with a positive message as "corny" because it's not made by some lame rear end internet rapper talking about how he has to ride (or drive, I guess) the bus?

Also alan you aren't half as clever as you think you are for spamming donglonger every time he gets brought up. Jesus Christ you're annoying.

It's obvious a bunch of people think the song sucks, I'm sorry you're taking it so personal. Saying "but but KIDS can listen" isn't some magic panacea that makes it somehow better. I don't think people are rating songs on how well they'll fit into a Sesame Street playlist. I mean I'm not even someone saying it's garbage or anything-I said before it wasn't something made for dudes who primarily listen to rap, and that's totally cool. (Although that sample and hook are kinda sorry fwiw).

temple may be grounded in reality, but it's not a reality anyone else shares. And I really don't care if you or a bunch of other corny rear end white kids think it's pathetic I don't like garbage rap or listen to "internet rappers". Maybe one day when you get past listening to rap to shock your parents you'll be able to listen to people they haven't heard of and you to can like someone who has music on the internet! Until then you and temple can proudly carry the banner of the oppressed, downtrodden, disrespected platinum-selling artists.

Also I'm actually MORE clever than I think I am, but it has nothing to do with how many times I may or may not write donglover in a post. donglover donglover donglover. But it's my personal rule to only refer to rappers by names that weren't generated from "Wu-Tang Name Generator" websites.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Temple is a goddamn master troll. Another dude links a video of Kendrick performing and says he likes the song. Temple takes the opportunity to swoop in and fire shots at anyone who doesn't like it while also bringing up his love of Macklemore and Childish Gambino completely out of context for no reason other than he knows alansmithee hates them and will take the bait. Now we're 2 pages in.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

alansmithee posted:

It's obvious a bunch of people think the song sucks, I'm sorry you're taking it so personal. Saying "but but KIDS can listen" isn't some magic panacea that makes it somehow better. I don't think people are rating songs on how well they'll fit into a Sesame Street playlist. I mean I'm not even someone saying it's garbage or anything-I said before it wasn't something made for dudes who primarily listen to rap, and that's totally cool. (Although that sample and hook are kinda sorry fwiw).

temple may be grounded in reality, but it's not a reality anyone else shares. And I really don't care if you or a bunch of other corny rear end white kids think it's pathetic I don't like garbage rap or listen to "internet rappers". Maybe one day when you get past listening to rap to shock your parents you'll be able to listen to people they haven't heard of and you to can like someone who has music on the internet! Until then you and temple can proudly carry the banner of the oppressed, downtrodden, disrespected platinum-selling artists.

Also I'm actually MORE clever than I think I am, but it has nothing to do with how many times I may or may not write donglover in a post. donglover donglover donglover. But it's my personal rule to only refer to rappers by names that weren't generated from "Wu-Tang Name Generator" websites.

I'm also more clever than i think i am

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

"I" isn't going after "rappers", it's going after pop stars. Dude's gotten a lot of press (not all favorable) for it, but it's also raising his profile and solidifying his place. I said before that Drake getting pissy about the control verse was dumb since dudes listening to that aren't even his lane-"I" is a much bigger shot at him.

And while I do agree with you a lot on the Macklemore stuff, it's actually kinda funny to me since dude made a song years ago talking about cultural appropriation and the place of white dudes in rap. It wasn't that bad from what I remember either. But that's also not gonna get you grammys and platinum albums. Also Ryan Lewis is solid for sure.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Cool Buff Man posted:

I'm also more clever than i think i am

I'll vouch

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I thought that song was an SNL joke lol

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

alansmithee posted:

I think you do care. Which is why you write 1500 words to posts every time someone has something to say about an artist you don't like and you rehash the same dumb analogies or jokes about them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Yuzenn posted:

It's telling that the best song on The Heist is probably the instrumental. I actually like the album okay (it certainly grew off me quick), but it's mostly because of Lewis.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

I think you do care. Which is why you write 1500 words to posts every time someone has something to say about an artist you don't like and you rehash the same dumb analogies or jokes about them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I like talking about rap. If there's something I want to say, I'll say it. If there's nothing new, I don't. It's not really rocket science.

I do appreciate you keeping accurate wordcounts of my posts and post history and what artists I do/don't like though. It's good to be appreciated.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I don't hate i because it's corny (it is, though), I hate it because it sounds bad on a musical level. The beat uses a super-obvious Isley Brothers in an unimaginative way, the guitar sounds like it came off a dated 90s Santana album, and Kendrick is putting on this obnoxious impression of Andre 3000 for 2/3rds of the song. Even lyrically it's underwhelming; the lyrics are so vague and generic and feel-good that I feel like I'm listening to some struggle conscious rapper instead of Kendrick Lamar. Even Macklemore has more personality than Kendrick on i.

I don't think Kendrick made the song to sell out, but I feel he's bought into his own hype about being the savior of rap, and released a toothless "feel good" conscious song that will appeal to everybody as a result. Kendrick got big off of doing his own thing and not bowing to people's expectations of what he should be, so it's super disappointing to see him put out focus tested radio songs when he's one of the few major label rappers that could release anything he wants to.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

I don't hate i because it's corny (it is, though), I hate it because it sounds bad on a musical level. The beat uses a super-obvious Isley Brothers in an unimaginative way, the guitar sounds like it came off a dated 90s Santana album, and Kendrick is putting on this obnoxious impression of Andre 3000 for 2/3rds of the song. Even lyrically it's underwhelming; the lyrics are so vague and generic and feel-good that I feel like I'm listening to some struggle conscious rapper instead of Kendrick Lamar. Even Macklemore has more personality than Kendrick on i.

I don't think Kendrick made the song to sell out, but I feel he's bought into his own hype about being the savior of rap, and released a toothless "feel good" conscious song that will appeal to everybody as a result. Kendrick got big off of doing his own thing and not bowing to people's expectations of what he should be, so it's super disappointing to see him put out focus tested radio songs when he's one of the few major label rappers that could release anything he wants to.
I fully agree with this statement yet I still like the track.

But chiming in with "gently caress Macklemore". I hate his stupid hair (and even more-so that I'm now seeing hipsters in Seattle wearing their hair like his) and while a few of his tracks are catchy and fun I don't give a poo poo about his alcoholism and sometimes it seems like half of his tracks are about that. Plus that whole offensive Jewish costume stunt he pulled, he should have known better.

Even his big breakout pro-gay song annoys me now. When I first heard it on the radio I thought it was great but there are some serious issues with how he presents it that just show he doesn't really understand the issues all that well (and I have some serious issues with a straight white man making millions of dollars from a pro-gay anthem)

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Profondo Rosso posted:

Edit: oh yeah the st4ndard tape is really good check that. Spooky black is no gimmick

http://soundcloud.com/thestand4rd/vital-signs

This shouldn't get lost in all the nonsense cause this tape is really good.

And I think I said it before, but outside of an odd lull in the summer, this year's actually shaping up to be a lot better w/r/t rap than it looked originally. There's no huge release that's getting a lot of attention (like Yeezus last year) but there's a lot of low-key good releases this year.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
New Ghost

http://2dopeboyz.com/2014/11/17/ghostface-killah-the-battlefield-kool-g-rap-az/

It rules

acksplode
May 17, 2004

HorseRenoir posted:

The beat uses a super-obvious Isley Brothers in an unimaginative way
This is pretty much the source of my distaste for "i". It's a really lazy sample and the song leans on it hard.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Christmas is coming a little early this year.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/luca-brasi-2-gangsta-grillz/id939817032

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Who's excited for that new J Cole tho???

Best nap I'll ever have.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
another new A$AP Ferg track called "Doe-Active" produced by my homie Stelios Phili

http://www.xxlmag.com/rap-music/new-music/2014/11/premiere-asap-ferg-doe-active/

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
There are many reasons to hate Macklemore, but his dependence on good production is not unique. All rappers are dependent on their production. The beats make the song. It's why lackluster rappers like Kanye can still have bomb rear end tracks. Personally there's only like 4 rappers that have sufficiently aesthetically pleasing voices + technical rapping that would keep me interested if their tracks had mediocre production.

nedit: That new Ghost is slick as gently caress.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
Is Ryan Lewis's production actually that good? I think the Thrift Shop beat gets annoying really fast and I don't remember anything about the production of any of the other songs of his I've heard.

Also, where should I start with Homeboy Sandman?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Anaranjado posted:

Best nap I'll ever have.

NO SINGLES

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

Hey guys, I'm really getting into hip-hop lately, and have been listening to Kanye West quite obsessively. I wanted to ask if there are similar artists out there in terms of production, with a majestic, sweeping feel like MBDTF, songs like Jesus Walks, Diamonds in Sierra Leone, Power, All of the Lights, Lost in the World, etc. I guess I just like stuff that's dramatic and climactic with an 'epic' feel. I haven't heard much else like it, some Jay Z maybe. But my exposure to hip hop is fairly minimal. I'd love some recommendations.

The album My name is my name by Pusha T has several songs I think has kind of an 'epic' feel to it.

Like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmgEoh_r_XM and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0M8djdJGnQ

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Anaranjado posted:

No-one here I'd bet.

Someone post that vid of Drake and Cole buying the Cole albums and no-one knows who J Cole is,it's a good one.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Jezebel of all places did a very interesting interview with Drake's long-time vocal coach, Dionne Osborne. Worth reading if you're into this sort of thing:

http://jezebel.com/a-chat-with-dionne-osborne-the-vocal-coach-who-changed-1658044149

quote:

One time we started a tour in Düsseldorf, Germany—I can't remember the name of the facility right now, but it's where Hitler used to hold his youth rallies. The original balconies are still there, and the second balcony on the right was literally where Hitler stood, and the Allies dropped the bomb straight through the roof, and the bomb did not explode.

I looked at Drake and was like, "You, as a black Jewish man are standing on this stage right now." I was like, how cool is this—it's the ultimate finger to everything Hitler stood for. And Drake gets it. He's somebody that wants to make his mark.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Puseklepp posted:

The album My name is my name by Pusha T has several songs I think has kind of an 'epic' feel to it.

Like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmgEoh_r_XM and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0M8djdJGnQ

I agree with this but Pusha T is a pretty big jump from Ye, so I think you should ease your way in with some Cruel Summer or Watch the Throne and then work your way from there.

You are looking for the nu wave type Kanye but if you want to go back to the Jesus Walks Kanye, I agree with the poster that talked about Mos Def. Also Cyhi Da Prynce is a good choice in similar content with a Chicago Feel....

kevin mung
Jul 15, 2013

by Shine

ho oooo *dances out of thread all over the place jesus, look at this guy go he is just so goddamn thrilled*

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Anaranjado posted:

Best nap I'll ever have.

I'm excited for him to get alzheimers so he forgets that he used to think he should release music.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

THNDRTHF posted:

I'm excited for him to get alzheimers so he forgets that he used to think he should release music.

ahahah harsh

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Big Gucci Sossa's pretty drat great, I was a little worried since I wasn't all that impressed with Back From the Dead 2, but I haven't found a track off of Gucci Sossa that I don't like yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ygB6zgbaK8

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Anaranjado posted:

Best nap I'll ever have.

the superior Jay is hopefully gonna put out an album this year so who cares :cool:

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Where's that spark master tape did that guy literally die but no one knew who he was so no one made the connection?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

"I'll never pull your chair out, bitch" is so loving ice cold.

I haven't listened to much rap lately so I've just been exposed to what's on the radio while I commute and gently caress it's bad. How does Nicki let Drake and Wayne go in so hard on her boyfriend like that? Only is loving ridiculous. Did I miss anything good?

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
Bad thread

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

I love that he's experimenting with his beat selection and doing concept albums despite being old as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
The new Ghost song is great, it's funny that while his voice has changed over the years (he doesn't sound like Action Bronson anymore), AZ still sounds like '94 AZ