Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Krowley posted:

Paget Brewster is a dumb name

It's a beautiful name for a glorious woman you are poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Paget Brewster is pretty kickass

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Two spoilers for the new season:

1.Martin Mull and Lesley Ann Warren have been cast as Britta's parents

2.Jim Rash and Nat Faxon will be directing episode 2 of this upcoming season of Community, the one where Keith David's character is introduced

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Oh poo poo. Are we getting a Clue episode?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
You probably don't have to spoil who the director is going to be unless its, you know, someone with talent.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Inkspot posted:

Oh please let this be true!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

You probably don't have to spoil who the director is going to be unless its, you know, someone with talent.

IIRC casting decisions aren't spoilers either

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Inkspot posted:

Gonna be drat hard to beat Psych's. Pretty much the only way to do it would be Tim Curry's involvement.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Irish Joe posted:

I agree with the spoiler comment, but this is a pretty weird dig at two dudes who have Oscars for writing and a bunch of positive remarks about their directorial debut. They're not critically-acclaimed directors, per se, but they're not nobodies without talent.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Don't mind Irish Joe, he's the worst.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Naet posted:

I agree with the spoiler comment, but this is a pretty weird dig at two dudes who have Oscars for writing and a bunch of positive remarks about their directorial debut. They're not critically-acclaimed directors, per se, but they're not nobodies without talent.

Spoiler-worthy director assignment would be the return of Justin Lin or a well-known and incredibly skilled director like James L. Brooks. Getting excited about Jim Rash directing an episode is like getting excited because Jonathan Frakes is directing an episode of Star Trek: misguided.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Jim Rash penned one script for this show and it was widely regarded as one of the few redeeming episodes of the fourth season. His two movie credits were both well-received. It's hardly misguided to be excited about him taking the helm (even if it is goofy to spoiler it). Don't be obtuse.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 18, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Naet posted:

It's hardly misguided to be excited about him taking the helm. Don't be obtuse.

What does being an actor and writing have to do with directing, though? It'd be like expecting a good doctor to also be a good lawyer and chef. At worst, the episode will be a visual bore. At best, there won't be a noticeable difference. In either case, its nothing to get excited about.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

He (they) literally just directed a movie that received a lot of praise. The rest is at least indicative of artistic talent, and that he actually understands the show's identity.

Maybe it won't be good, but there's plenty of potential (also known as 'reasons to get excited').

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure the show has the money to be terribly visually exciting anyway.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Jim Rash has been on the show for five loving years. Is it that impossible that, combined with the other know-how he has, he might have picked up a thing or two about directing an episode of a television show?

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I enjoyed The Way Way Back, how can we shoehorn Sam Rockwell into the study group/Greendale faculty?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

tinstaach posted:

I enjoyed The Way Way Back, how can we shoehorn Sam Rockwell into the study group/Greendale faculty?

Sam Rockwell's character is looking forward to the end of his three year contract as a Greendale faculty member when he and Jeff get into a car accident, inadvertently uncovering the truth about Greendale.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Sam Rockwell's character is looking forward to the end of his three year contract as a Greendale faculty member when he and Jeff get into a car accident, inadvertently uncovering the truth about Greendale.

With Kevin Spacey as Greendale's new robot Dean who is just there to help.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

With John Olivers show being done for the season I really hope he can do a few episodes.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
One of the many interesting benefits of having Irish Joe on ignore is that when he starts a stupid argument I just get blasted with rational, intelligent rebuttals to nonsense I didn't have to read. I'm looking forward to Rash's/Faxon's episode.

...but I'm not particularly holding out hope for this weird, last-ditch Internet season. This show is really all over the place.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Stayne Falls posted:

One of the many interesting benefits of having Irish Joe on ignore is that when he starts a stupid argument I just get blasted with rational, intelligent rebuttals to nonsense I didn't have to read. I'm looking forward to Rash's/Faxon's episode.

...but I'm not particularly holding out hope for this weird, last-ditch Internet season. This show is really all over the place.

Hell, I managed to make it all through season 4, but gave up halfway through season 5. They should've just let the show die.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Don't gotta watch season 6 man.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I was pretty happy with Season 5 until the last three episodes, and that was clear from watching the DVD Behind-The-Scenes... they were weeks behind on the script and they were literally flying by the seat, and it showed. It's too bad since the rest of the season was pretty solid.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
I see your hate of the last 3 episodes and I raise you Jim Rash and Alison Brie doing a buried treasure dance

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Not hate, just disappointment. :smith:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The peanut bar dean rap still cracks me up every time i see that scene.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Irish Joe posted:

What does being an actor and writing have to do with directing, though? It'd be like expecting a good doctor to also be a good lawyer and chef. At worst, the episode will be a visual bore. At best, there won't be a noticeable difference. In either case, its nothing to get excited about.

I think there are a lot of misconceptions about what a director actually does on set. The visual aesthetic is ultimately up to the cinematographer. As an actor, Rash is actually in a good position to direct, since that job is mainly about getting a good performance out of the other actors.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

ETB posted:

I was pretty happy with Season 5 until the last three episodes, and that was clear from watching the DVD Behind-The-Scenes... they were weeks behind on the script and they were literally flying by the seat, and it showed.

Care to elaborate?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Transmodiar posted:

Care to elaborate?

this is half-remembered from the dvd commentary, but dan was way behind on the script for gi jeff, wherein he was turning pages in literally the monday before the thursday it was set to air- meaning that the animation for a bunch of scenes in the ep had to be done in three days -which completely hosed over part one of the finale, which dan wasn't involved in beyond breaking, since he was working on gi jeff, and by the time part two came in i think he was so burnt out he made a bunch of errors in writing this episode because he was so exhausted from overwork

at elast thats how i remember it, he was really really unhappy with part 2 of the finale and part 1 had virtually no input from him

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Toxxupation posted:

part 1 had virtually no input from him

This is insane, considering what Basic Story is.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
...Dan really needs to get back on Aderall (or was it Ritalin...), 'cause apparently that's what he was on during season 2.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Haha, an alcoholic with an Adderall prescription. Dan Harmon's not long for this world.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Well that certainly explains why part 2 of the finale is a hundred times better than part 1.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Troy and Abed selling Faaaaaaaaaar Cry!

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Toxxupation posted:

this is half-remembered from the dvd commentary, but dan was way behind on the script for gi jeff, wherein he was turning pages in literally the monday before the thursday it was set to air- meaning that the animation for a bunch of scenes in the ep had to be done in three days -which completely hosed over part one of the finale, which dan wasn't involved in beyond breaking, since he was working on gi jeff, and by the time part two came in i think he was so burnt out he made a bunch of errors in writing this episode because he was so exhausted from overwork

at elast thats how i remember it, he was really really unhappy with part 2 of the finale and part 1 had virtually no input from him
Get back to Doctor Who, drat it!

(And thanks for the "Serial" recommend, btw)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

umalt posted:

...Dan really needs to get back on Aderall (or was it Ritalin...), 'cause apparently that's what he was on during season 2.

Adderall, he was snorting it during late-night work sessions and I don't think he had a perscription

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Community has officially reached 100 episodes. More importantly, if you've felt the show has been extremely claustrophobic since the first season ended, you're going to be really happy about this.

quote:

The show will feel different visually, returning to the more cinematic look it began with – which will be reflected by Community shooting actual exteriors much more than in recent years. Not only is there an outdoor set area that’s been built on the show’s new lot, but they are also venturing out on location occasionally, including LACC (Los Angeles City College), which doubled as Greendale in Season 1.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
A potential spoiler for next season.

From Chevy Chase's recent ama.

"I will be in a small cameo at the beginning of Community and if they ask me to come back and do one or two appearances, it's a possibility."
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2op1go/chevy_chase_on_ama_and_i_dont_like_it/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Spacebump posted:

A potential spoiler for next season.

From Chevy Chase's recent ama.

"I will be in a small cameo at the beginning of Community and if they ask me to come back and do one or two appearances, it's a possibility."
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2op1go/chevy_chase_on_ama_and_i_dont_like_it/

Nobody seemed sure that he wasn't referring to S5, sooooooooo

• Locked thread