Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Add me to the list of people who would love to see Ahyoung fall rear end backwards into winning this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Hat Thoughts posted:

Not a great episode like, gametheory-wise, but insanely good television-wise

Yeah, it was a boring game in general (even if it wasn't for the seemingly Untouchable Perfect Strategy), but goddamn was it fun to watch for everything but the game itself. Dongmin is even more amazing when he wants to mess with people Ahyoung and Yeonjoo. :allears:

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
On the subject of the BTS video (unsubbed at the moment), here it is. Each card has a different number of stars that glow in the dark in the center, showing what number the card is.

Even in an improved version of this game though, how much use would this actually be? It's not like you can just walk up to each card on the stand, cover your hands over them and expect people not to notice right away and start suspecting that something is up. This seems like something that would work for exactly one round before the information was out in the open.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Capsaicin posted:

Will it grab from private videos? Bumdidly has all her videos marked as private/link-only; the Firefox DL add-on I have won't snag from private videos.

I grabbed a bunch of season two with it, so if they're marked private the same as season 3 then I guess the answer is yes.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I don't get the hate for the alliance play this match. We've been saying how the other players need to team up against Dongmin and Hyunmin if they don't want to keep getting dominated the whole game, and that's what they did. Too bad about the outcome though, I actually wanted Hyunmin to lose so that he would get a taste of his own medicine, but Jongbum kept making hasty bad plays in the deathmatch, and even the Black Mission I knew right away he guessed the wrong thing. The right person won that match, but I felt justice would have been served if it went the other way.

Dongmin was just loving annoying this match. You lost. Shut up and take it. Learn from the MENTALITY KING.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 17, 2014

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The black mission was absolutely ridiculous. Memorising 12 different names and which number they tie to in 30 seconds is a pretty tall order. The only trick I could think of beyond the surname trick was assigning the numbers 1-10 to my fingers from left to right and 11 and 12 to my respective closed fists in order to keep track of which is which without getting flustered.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Subyng posted:

Dongmin was just loving annoying this match. You lost. Shut up and take it. Learn from the MENTALITY KING.

Hmm yes, after not getting to even play the game he should just have said nothing and not been on the screen the whole episode.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Subyng posted:

I don't get the hate for the alliance play this match.

Because the entire game was Have 5 people? The other 2 lose and literally can't do anything. They could have just not played the game and sent someone to the deathmatch right after they walked in the door.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Xoidanor posted:

The black mission was absolutely ridiculous. Memorising 12 different names and which number they tie to in 30 seconds is a pretty tall order. The only trick I could think of beyond the surname trick was assigning the numbers 1-10 to my fingers from left to right and 11 and 12 to my respective closed fists in order to keep track of which is which without getting flustered.

Seems perfectly set up for a method of loci journey. Just make up a story of travelling from place to place on that bus journey and at each spot there is something unique related to the name taking place.

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010
^^ he understands :):respek::cool:

Xoidanor posted:

Quick memorization of the names seems like a bad idea.

If I was in that position, I would've visualized a town in a 3x4 or 4x3 grid and assign each card in order. It may not be for everyone, but I would find it easier to remember something as if I'm going through that location. Something like "I went for a walk down the main street and walked passed a, b, and c. Across this street was d, e, and f. Further down was g, h, and i. In the alley I saw was j, k, and l."

BurningDance fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 17, 2014

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BurningDance posted:

^^ he understands :):respek::cool:

Quick memorization of the names seems like a bad idea.

If I was in that position, I would've visualized a town in a 3x4 or 4x3 grid and assign each card in order. It may not be for everyone, but I would find it easier to remember something as if I'm going through that location. Something like "I went for a walk down the main street and walked passed a, b, and c. Across this street was d, e, and f. Further down was g, h, and i. In the alley I saw was j, k, and l."

If time was less of a factor this method would obviously be the optimal one but with 12 locations in just 30 seconds... That'd leave you with less that 3 seconds to attributing each location. The appeal of a verse system is that you can dumb it down to 3-4 words in less than 10 seconds and then repeat it twice before time is up.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 17, 2014

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Yeah, the difficultly of the memory black mission was INSANE compared to "oh, just play a game of Hap Gyul". I think the producers will have to put the black missions in the vault next season too, because there's no way that people (note: not me) aren't going to be screaming producer interference out of concern for someone in the Min alliance (the only people from whom we are likely to see any genius play in the rest of the season) getting eliminated.

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010
That is definitely true once you take time into account and is a flaw with my idea. One of the issues I have with the verse system (because I did it a lot as a kid and I hated 90~% accuracy of my memorization) is how easy it is to jumble up the middle positions when you begin to lose focus. Maybe memorizing the beginning portion of the words in a sequence, then removing the beginning 3 and repeat the last 9 in a sequence. If the person memorizing is confident in remembering the first 3 of the sequence, then the next 9 words can take the focus and puts less pressure on memorizing the whole 12 sequence.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Highly Unnecessary posted:

Death match spoilers.

Am I missing something or did Hyunmin have a forced win in this position by moving his king forward?

(We're on a fresh page so I think we're good.)

They both played the deathmatch pretty poorly. I noticed a position on turn two that was a likely win for Hyunmin if Jongbum took the obvious escape route, and if he didn't then Hyunmin could just continually threaten the King each turn until it was cornered (there was a gap there between turns five and six in this pattern where it was theoretically possible to turn the tables).

Anyway, despite the playing not being great, this was a terrific episode. Dongmin circling the undefeatable alliance as the Jaws music played was absurdly funny to me.

Also, this face...

Xoidanor posted:

The black mission was absolutely ridiculous. Memorizing 12 different names and which number they tie to in 30 seconds is a pretty tall order. The only trick I could think of beyond the surname trick was assigning the numbers 1-10 to my fingers from left to right and 11 and 12 to my respective closed fists in order to keep track of which is which without getting flustered.

Yeah, thirty seconds is super tough even with the usual memory tricks. I might be able to do it given a minute; that's about how long I'd expect someone with an excellent head for this kind of thing to be able to pick it up.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Xoidanor posted:

If time was less of a factor this method would obviously be the optimal one but with 12 locations in just 30 seconds... That'd leave you with less that 3 seconds to attributing each location. The appeal of a verse system is that you can dumb it down to 3-4 words in less than 10 seconds and then repeat it twice before time is up.

Yeah it's a super short time limit, you're probably limited by that to a chant or some absurd acrostic mnemonic.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

My first thought was just associating each place with the number itself ("ah Reservoir dogs, my 5th favorite movie.") You don't need to remember the order because the cards aren't in order. In fact, remembering the order might work against you because your mind expects that card to be there next in sequence. Doing that in 30 seconds is crazy, but I think the black missions should be a little crazy. If you want to get off the chopping block you should be that good.

Maduo fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 17, 2014

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Also, this face...

This would be more of threat if he hadn't already completely failed to follow-up with his vow to single out Mentality King. :v:

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Pretty much everyone but Hyunmin is marked right now :j:

Kangra
May 7, 2012

They need to just establish the rule (if not now, then for next season if there is one) that the DM loser distributes their garnets to anyone of their choosing. Something like this was bound to happen.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

dude789 posted:

Add me to the list of people who would love to see Ahyoung fall rear end backwards into winning this season.

All hail the SECRET ALLIANCE QUEEN :sparkles:

:smuggo:

Too much broth! :chef:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they played the deathmatch really poorly, i could see a lot of way better moves while they were playing it and i hadn't even heard of the game before

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Kangra posted:

They need to just establish the rule (if not now, then for next season if there is one) that the DM loser distributes their garnets to anyone of their choosing. Something like this was bound to happen.

I like it as is, making the players manage that stuff adds more drama like Dongmin selfishly keeping Sujin's garnets or Ahyoung threatening to take her's to the grave if she's picked.

There is some imbalance to what we have right now (rich players having an extra layer of security could make a secured lead that much more) but if they're gonna tweak it I'd like to see some facet of that remain.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I liked the episode for the Black Mission and the Deathmatch, which I thought were really good, and the drama of the main match, even though I agree that episodes where a majority can just guarantee a win isn't as interesting.

My imperfect method for doing the Black Mission, which worked as I watched the episode in real time, was memorize the first letter of each location in order. It's easier to associate a letter with its respective place if it's unique, like "H" for Hardware Store. Then all you would have to do is memorize the order of the repeating letters, like S. Imperfect, but for 12 places in 30 seconds, it worked for me.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

qbert posted:

I liked the episode for the Black Mission and the Deathmatch, which I thought were really good, and the drama of the main match, even though I agree that episodes where a majority can just guarantee a win isn't as interesting.

My imperfect method for doing the Black Mission, which worked as I watched the episode in real time, was memorize the first letter of each location in order. It's easier to associate a letter with its respective place if it's unique, like "H" for Hardware Store. Then all you would have to do is memorize the order of the repeating letters, like S. Imperfect, but for 12 places in 30 seconds, it worked for me.

Do you just have crazy good short-term memory or something? Memorising that many factors in plain form without using memorisation techniques is Mensa levels of memorising. The average person only manages a sequence of 7 factors at most. :psyduck:

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 18, 2014

Subyng
May 4, 2013

qbert posted:

I feel like the main match was too perfect too allow the other contestants to team up against Hyunmin and Dongmin. If you ever wanted to accuse the producers of match rigging, this would be the best evidence.

quote:

Isn't this exactly what Jongbum did?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Subyng posted:

Isn't this exactly what Jongbum did?

Yeah, he was basically doing the Korean equivalent of that.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Xoidanor posted:

Do you just have crazy good short-term memory or something? Memorising that many factors in plain form without using memorisation techniques is Mensa levels of memorising. The average person only manages a sequence of 7 factors at most. :psyduck:

I agree it would be hard to memorize 12 random sequence of letters in your head at a time, so I just broke them up onto 3 groups of 4 letters and kept repeating them over and over. It seems like it would be totally doable for the average person. 'I' for Intersection, 'V' for Village Hall, 'P' for Police Station, etc. are not difficult generic town places to associate with their respective letters. It would have been a lot harder if many places started with the same letter, but only 2 places started with 'S' and the rest were completely unique.

Then when they shuffle the cards and display them in random order, you just run through the list in your head until you get to that number, and pull the letter (and then the place) from there.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yeah okay but as said thats exactly what he did

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Davincie posted:

yeah okay but as said thats exactly what he did

Uh...cool? I never said my way was different. Just responding to a reply that what I did seemed really hard.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

My bad, I misinterpreted your original explanation. :downs:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I knocked together a play-at-home version of the Black Mission for anyone interested in seeing if it's at all possible for them. It only took about three minutes to do with the hardest part being coming up with the stop names. Here's how you can play the slightly easier home version. Below in the spoiler text is the list of stops in order. Give yourself 30 seconds to memorize the list if you want to do it The Genius way or one minute if you want to have a reasonable chance of pulling it off. The second spoiler block is just the stop numbers in a random order. Pop open notepad and write down the stops in that order. Then finally there's a convenient spoiler block in the same order as the jumbled list as your answer key. It's all on the honor system, so here we go.

This is the list of stops in order. Start the time when you mouse over it.

Stop 1 - Courthouse
Stop 2 - Intersection
Stop 3 - Factory
Stop 4 - Elementary School
Stop 5 - Depot
Stop 6 - Junkyard
Stop 7 - Gallery
Stop 8 - Mall
Stop 9 - Butcher
Stop 10 - Laundromat
Stop 11 - Aquarium
Stop 12 - Hospital

Okay. Now I'm giving you some room.

This is the shuffled list of just stop numbers. Have your piece of paper or notepad or whatever ready and write the location of the stops in this order.

Stop 3
Stop 9
Stop 11
Stop 2
Stop 8
Stop 1
Stop 6
Stop 4
Stop 7
Stop 5
Stop 10
Stop 12

Some more room before the answer key...

These are the answers to the shuffled list in the same order.

Stop 3 - Factory
Stop 9 - Butcher
Stop 11 - Aquarium
Stop 2 - Intersection
Stop 8 - Mall
Stop 1 - Courthouse
Stop 6 - Junkyard
Stop 4 - Elementary School
Stop 7 - Gallery
Stop 5 - Depot
Stop 10 - Laundromat
Stop 12 - Hospital

Subyng
May 4, 2013

qbert posted:

Uh...cool? I never said my way was different. Just responding to a reply that what I did seemed really hard.

We're just saying your original explanation of your method was exactly what Jongbum was doing so I was kind of like...uh yeah, and...? But yeah, I tried to keep up with Jongbum using that method and repeating what he was saying but I couldn't quite keep up, although I still knew that the 4th number was "Chul"-something something!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Subyng posted:

I feel like the main match was too perfect too allow the other contestants to team up against Hyunmin and Dongmin. If you ever wanted to accuse the producers of match rigging, this would be the best evidence.

Oh, there's no fuckin' way in hell that wasn't rigged. I'm not mad tho, because it made for a super-compelling TV episode. It was nice to see Jongbum and Yeonseung (MENTALITY KING OF KINGS, THE CEREBRAL ASSASSIN) attempt to take down the HyunDong Express on the best shot they'd ever have to do it. The main match was boring from a mechanical standpoint, but there was still enough psychological drama to not make it a 100% done deal. I mean, they did present a compelling argument (and by argument I mean threat) to the girls - if Yeonjoo wasn't already destined to win the game, we could've seen a triple-cross out of pure fear. Dongmin's constant harassment was amazing too.

And they picked a "neutral" deathmatch (plus a hella hard black mission - at least at first sight. p.s: UGH I MISCOUNTED THE LETTERS ON RANDOM STRANGER'S VERSION MY METHOD WOULD'VE WORKED OTHERWISE gently caress) so in the end the better player would've stayed anyway - and that turned out to be Hyunmin. It wasn't amazing play, but hey, nerves can get you. He was so heartbroken tho, it almost made me cry. :smith: I thought he was crying on the flashforwards because arrogance undid him or something, but no.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Now I'm wondering just how insane that Math Black Mission is because you figure they had to balance it to be somewhat challenging to Hweejong.

Dias posted:

Oh, there's no fuckin' way in hell that wasn't rigged. I'm not mad tho, because it made for a super-compelling TV episode. It was nice to see Jongbum and Yeonseung (MENTALITY KING OF KINGS, THE CEREBRAL ASSASSIN) attempt to take down the HyunDong Express on the best shot they'd ever have to do it. The main match was boring from a mechanical standpoint, but there was still enough psychological drama to not make it a 100% done deal. I mean, they did present a compelling argument (and by argument I mean threat) to the girls - if Yeonjoo wasn't already destined to win the game, we could've seen a triple-cross out of pure fear. Dongmin's constant harassment was amazing too.

And they picked a "neutral" deathmatch (plus a hella hard black mission - at least at first sight. p.s: UGH I MISCOUNTED THE LETTERS ON RANDOM STRANGER'S VERSION MY METHOD WOULD'VE WORKED OTHERWISE gently caress) so in the end the better player would've stayed anyway - and that turned out to be Hyunmin. It wasn't amazing play, but hey, nerves can get you. He was so heartbroken tho, it almost made me cry. :smith: I thought he was crying on the flashforwards because arrogance undid him or something, but no.

Yeah I don't believe they are fixing anything, because A) Dongmin has been the best alliance maker in the past, and B) Why on earth would the producers want a possible Dongmin vs Hyunmin death match right now (the black match was difficult but doable), but also C) There is plenty of drama playing it straight anyway and why risk causing a national scandal that would get the show cancelled and make you get blackballed from the industry.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 18, 2014

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Thinking about it, the hardest part of the memory game - other than keeping your composure - is actually remembering the names of the places. That's where the 30s time limit bites you if the initials don't adjust themselves into easy-to-remember sounds/words - okay, you know the order but what the gently caress was the C again?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I think the advantage in the way Jongbum did it (that is remembering the first syllable) is that it helps jog your memory because you are already saying part of the full word.

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot
I'm disappointed this season's episode 7 main match was so bad compared to season 1's open-pass and season 2's dice-casino-thing (the game with hong-chul going CHWAAA CHWAAAAA CHWAAAAAAAA).

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Dongmin is the coolest

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Tonfa posted:

Hmm yes, after not getting to even play the game he should just have said nothing and not been on the screen the whole episode.
That was his own fault. I mean, we could pretty much see exactly this coming as a result of the way they'd played the previous couple games, right?

Fast Luck posted:

That said, I think they're kind of miscalculating. They'd be better off circling each other with a kind of acknowledgement that they'd meet at the end rather than having such an open alliance. I don't know if they're intentionally trying to show up all the other players but back-to-back weeks of one winning and giving the extra token of life to the other player is very obvious. And the two of them are still outnumbered by the rest of the group so this naturally should lead to the others turning their backs on them and sending them to a bottom finish in one of the cooperative games.

So we'll see I guess. I think Hyunmin and Dongmin will need to distance themselves from each other or have some sort of masterful social dominance if they're going to avoid being ostracized.
Funny part is that it didn't matter and they're both still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Was this the first episode where the "two hours later" was purposely edited in a completely different way the first time they showed it as opposed to the second time they showed it? In the "two hours later" section they cut back and forth between two very, very, different scenes that had nothing to do with one another? I mean I know sometimes they leave things out, but in this case, one clip came from about two thirds of the way through the main match and the other all the way at the end after the deathmatch. It was a bit strange.