Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Brian Phillips is a damned treasure. Jesus, that story was astonishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I just picked up Boy on Ice, the Derek Boogaard story from the library. Anybody here read this? How is it? Apparently it was nominated for a Pulitzer.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i love smoking football

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Certainly not the best SI article I have read, but I did like this one talking about Gia Allemand's suicide and the way it affected her boyfriend Ryan Anderson.

https://www.si.com/nba/2014/11/13/ryan-anderson-gia-allemand

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Kibner posted:

Certainly not the best SI article I have read, but I did like this one talking about Gia Allemand's suicide and the way it affected her boyfriend Ryan Anderson.

https://www.si.com/nba/2014/11/13/ryan-anderson-gia-allemand

Pro-read. I would advise not to read it at work though.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

So to whomever was wondering about Black Grantland, Mike Wise is joining that:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/11/17/mike-wise-to-leave-the-washington-post-join-jason-whitlocks-espn-project/

I'm sure people in DC have something to say about this

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Has Whitlock only been kicking the Black Grantland idea around for about a year or so now? I swear I've been hearing about it for longer than that.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
http://thebiglead.com/2014/11/17/stephen-a-smith-threatens-michael-carter-williams-in-bizarre-radio-rant/

ESPN talked about journalistic standards when suspending Bill Simmons and its hard to see how this wouldn't violate them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

He doubled down on his bullshit when he "apologized" for the comments about women bringing beatings on themselves, now he's tripled down :stare:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

So It Goes posted:

http://thebiglead.com/2014/11/17/stephen-a-smith-threatens-michael-carter-williams-in-bizarre-radio-rant/

ESPN talked about journalistic standards when suspending Bill Simmons and its hard to see how this wouldn't violate them.
They won't handle it at all since it wasn't on their air.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
ESPN suspended baseball writer Keith Law from Twitter for arguing against former-player-now-talking-head Curt Schilling's evolution denialism.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
How many championships can they put in the little profile box when Keith Law appears on SportsCenter? Check mate bitch

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just when you think ESPN couldn't top their previous dumb suspensions....

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

What's so mind bendingly frustrating about this is that KLaw didn't even go after Schilling. He just said "Curt you're mistaken, here's proof". There was a distinct lack of the usual acerbic wit. But apparently there can be no sign of disagreement between employees of the Worldwide Leader.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Seems like they should be embracing debate.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

Seems like they should be embracing debate.
ESPN: TEACH THE CONTROVERSY

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

ESPN : WAS DARWIN WRONG?

(flips page, giant picture of Curt Schilling flipping the bird)

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

ESPN : WAS DARWIN WRONG?

(flips page, giant picture of Curt Schilling flipping the bird)
You're giving me a mental image of Pedro Gomez reporting non-stop outside of the Scopes Monkey Trial and I quite like it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

howe_sam posted:

What's so mind bendingly frustrating about this is that KLaw didn't even go after Schilling. He just said "Curt you're mistaken, here's proof". There was a distinct lack of the usual acerbic wit. But apparently there can be no sign of disagreement between employees of the Worldwide Leader.
Eh, they've been extremely selective about that. I'm really not sure why they thought this warranted attention though. No one was talking about it.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ESPN is now saying that Keith Law's Twitter suspension has nothing whatsoever to do with his interactions with Curt Schilling.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Crazy Ted posted:

ESPN is now saying that Keith Law's Twitter suspension has nothing whatsoever to do with his interactions with Curt Schilling.

quote:

Keith's Twitter suspension had absolutely nothing to do with his opinions on the subject.

That doesn't sound like the same thing. It sounds more like Keith Law is suspended for arguing with Schilling rather than the stance he took.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

That doesn't sound like the same thing. It sounds more like Keith Law is suspended for arguing with Schilling rather than the stance he took.
Ah yeah you're right. It's really stupid that ESPN employees aren't allowed to argue about things in even a cordial matter.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Embrace debate!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

It does seem a bit unfair that Schilling is allowed to spout off whatever poo poo he wants, but I guess ESPN doesn't want to police personal opinion too much or something? Who knows

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
*hands Curt Schilling the Conch*

Evolution is not real.

*throws Conch in ocean*

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dutchy posted:

*hands Curt Schilling the Conch*

Evolution is not real.

*throws Conch in ocean*
*Megalodon returns the conch to Schilling, to everyone's amazement*

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Disbelieving evolution is stupid but Schilling's tweet about "what's the big deal about the police, if you aren't committing a crime you don't have anything to worry about" is way more awful

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

no way

:stare:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

That's probably a coincidence. Maybe.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
It was a couple minutes before they officially stated their would be no charges so I'm thinking it's just King being tone deaf as gently caress.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
ST. LOUIS-Asked restaurant host: "God, did you hear about Darren Wilson?"
Host: "No."
Me: "Not indicted. Prosecutor just announced."
Thought he would cry.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Keith Law's suspension is over and he takes a nice jab right away.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Good for Keith Law but if anyone at ESPN learns how to use Google (for things other than stealing content), then he might be right back on suspension soon.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Spoeank posted:

Good for Keith Law but if anyone at ESPN learns how to use Google (for things other than stealing content), then he might be right back on suspension soon.

He wasn't suspended for his opinion, he was suspended for arguing with another talking head publicly on Twitter

I doubt they would suspend him for a parting shot

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I just think between him and Simmons, ESPN may feel the need to stem the tide of their non-retarded writers & talking heads having actual opinions.

He was suspended for arguing against creationism in 2014.

Edit: although he decided to do it in an overbearingly haughty and snarky tone, but that's pretty much Keith Law all around.

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 25, 2014

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Declan MacManus posted:

That's probably a coincidence. Maybe.

There is absolutely no way Peter King knows he posted a thing that sounds like a current event.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Badfinger posted:

There is absolutely no way Peter King knows he posted a thing that sounds like a current event.

What are you talking about, PK is constantly writing limp "somebody ought to do something!" takes about current events in his columns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

xbilkis posted:

ST. LOUIS-Asked restaurant host: "God, did you hear about Darren Wilson?"
Host: "No."
Me: "Not indicted. Prosecutor just announced."
Thought he would cry.

Coffee nerdness: Darren Wilson drank a Cafe Americano before he killed a kid