Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Fiancee's sturdy Metro Fine, after less than a year of duty, may have just met its match. Co-worker knocked it off the desk, straight onto a textured concrete floor, nib-first. I don't know how well it comes across in the lovely cell-phone pictures, but the right-hand tine is actually bent up and over the left-hand tine, like crossing fingers.

Fiancee is just going to get a new one, but I'm wondering what the hell to do with this one. Should I grab some pliers and try my hand at nib repair? Should I take it to some nibmeisters at a pen show and get a few laughs? I understand the Metro is a friction-fit, can you get replacement nibs anywhere for a reasonable price (perhaps, even, at aforementioned pen show)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Go to Jet Pens, get a Pilot Penmanship and/or Plumix and swap that bitch out. Or get a Kakuno and have a :) nib.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
You may as well have a go at it yourself if you're going to replace the pen anyways. Try working on it with your fingers before pulling out the pliers, though.

Or you could replace it with a Plumix nib and get a sweet italic Metropolitan

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Remora posted:

Fiancee's sturdy Metro Fine, after less than a year of duty, may have just met its match. Co-worker knocked it off the desk, straight onto a textured concrete floor, nib-first. I don't know how well it comes across in the lovely cell-phone pictures, but the right-hand tine is actually bent up and over the left-hand tine, like crossing fingers.

Fiancee is just going to get a new one, but I'm wondering what the hell to do with this one. Should I grab some pliers and try my hand at nib repair? Should I take it to some nibmeisters at a pen show and get a few laughs? I understand the Metro is a friction-fit, can you get replacement nibs anywhere for a reasonable price (perhaps, even, at aforementioned pen show)?

Dude, the nibs on those are totally interchangeable. Unless there's something wrong with another part of the pen (or Fiancee is dead set on the Metro Fine nib), Burrito's advice is excellent, and could even save you a bit money.

EDIT: Also, going to mention that I personally swapped my Medium nib for the Plumix. It can be done with fingers alone so long as you haven't got dry ink gluing it in. That italic nib is just so sexy.

Everything Burrito posted:

Go to Jet Pens, get a Pilot Penmanship and/or Plumix and swap that bitch out. Or get a Kakuno and have a :) nib.
Didn't know the Kakuno fit the metro. Friendly little pen, ahoy!

Nebraska Tim fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 18, 2014

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Presented the nib options. I think what we're going to do if I can't do anything with the nib (likely not, as loving wrecked as it is) is grab a new Metro Fine, and swap the busted nib for a Penmanship EF. This pen is specifically for office work, so an italic nib is really not ideal. She thinks she may wind up liking the EF nib, but she doesn't know, and she knows she likes the Metro Fine, so... yeah.

Thanks for pointing out the Penmanship, I didn't know that was part of that nib family.

EDIT: Son of a loving bitch but I think I fixed it. :stare: Ruining part of one of Goulet's brass sheets in the process, mind you.

EDIT 2: Fiancee says "it's all scratchy now" and she'll decide on it in the morning. WELL IT loving WRITES SO I AM PUTTING THIS ONE IN THE WIN COLUMN

Remora fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 18, 2014

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Man, Massdrop is constantly putting up pretty decent deals on pens. Tonight they've got AL-stars for the same price as a Safari, and I'm pretty tempted to get in on that. Just trying to decide if I want an EF for practical purposes or a big stupid broad nib so I can actually use up some of these ink samples I have.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Remora posted:

EDIT 2: Fiancee says "it's all scratchy now" and she'll decide on it in the morning. WELL IT loving WRITES SO I AM PUTTING THIS ONE IN THE WIN COLUMN

Apply 12000 grit sandpaper, write on the bottom of an inkwell and/or on rough cardboard with a bit of pressure. Should become less scratchy that way. Make sure to write not only at a normal angle, but like you're grinding the tip into a ball (so from all sides) so you don't accidentally grind one side flat like a pancake with sharp edges.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Nov 18, 2014

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Massdrop posted:

The vendor let us know that the extra fine nib in black/rhodium is completely unavailable at the moment and that they will not be getting stock replenished until spring next year.

fuuuuuuuuuck

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

neongrey posted:

There wasn't one. Next'll be December and apparently it'll be a biggie, at least?

Oh, well that makes me feel better. I didn't see any pics to remind me, which is why I forgot. It was supposed to be back this month, I thought. At least I didn't miss it! :D

My main issue with the Goulet site is the new font. The penmanship of the old logo might not have been as fancy, but it suited Brian better. The organization is far from terrible, once you get used to it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

blowfish posted:

Apply 12000 grit sandpaper, write on the bottom of an inkwell and/or on rough cardboard with a bit of pressure. Should become less scratchy that way. Make sure to write not only at a normal angle, but like you're grinding the tip into a ball (so from all sides) so you don't accidentally grind one side flat like a pancake with sharp edges.

Given the circumstances wouldn't it be much more likely that there's still a minor mis-alignment issue that needs to be corrected?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bit of a strange question: what are some pens that have a metal-to-metal connection between the grip and the body (i.e., it's metal threading on metal, no plastic involved) and have a range of different nibs available?

A heavy, metal-bodied pen with no plastic threads (they always strip or crack eventually) and a fine italic nib is the writing instrument I'm looking for. I've effectively made one of these myself by machining down and transplanting the feed system from a Rotring Artpen (which has five or six different available nibs) into the grip of a Newton with a damaged feed, but I'm wondering what else might be out there?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Bit of a strange question: what are some pens that have a metal-to-metal connection between the grip and the body (i.e., it's metal threading on metal, no plastic involved) and have a range of different nibs available?

Are you looking for all metal FPs? There is the stainless steel Lamy 2K which was a one sale a few days ago. Do you mean FPs which have metal sections then there are many cheap chinese fountain pens all made out of brass on eBay

The Parson Italix by Mr.Pen is a somewhat heavy FP w/a C/C filing system that is made out of brass or some other metals from the UK.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Kaweco Al-Sport comes to mind, lots of awesome (and cheap) nib choices but the small size limits how much ink it can hold.

Honestly, you could pick a pen you like that uses a friction-fit #5 or #6 nib and pick and choose what you want.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The main concern I have is that the grip isn't a plastic piece that threads into a metal body. Ever since I first started using a fountain pen in the fourth grade I've found that those inevitably get stripped and shredded up after a couple of years. Metal into metal, perfect (the Rotring I love so much is all brass). Plastic into plastic, usually fine because one side isn't significantly harder than the other, but I like the heft of a metal pen.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I'm pretty sure my Monteverde Invincia Black-Tie is all metal, not sure if it's nib is easily swappable with others. Those run about 75 I think. The stone pen I got is stone with a metal grip, but the screw bits are all metal...doesn't look like that guy is operating anymore though, but it's just a typical kit pen, so I think a lot of other stone or wooden pens and stuff like that would have those metal innards.

Pilot VP is all metal I believe, no cap to worry about either, but not a lot of nib options after you get it. I think those are my three heaviest pens...isn't the Metro all metal? Asides from it not being too weighty, is the Metro the ultimate answer once again? Metal threads and super nib swapability with the Plumix and Penmanship.

Edit: I think the Lamy Logo I got my brother-in-law a few years ago was all metal too, but I don't remember if it was very weighty.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 19, 2014

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Brightman posted:

Asides from it not being too weighty, is the Metro the ultimate answer once again? Metal threads and super nib swapability with the Plumix and Penmanship.

Nope, the Metro has a plastic grip with plastic threads on it. They had to cheap out somewhere with that price.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

milpreve posted:

Oh, well that makes me feel better. I didn't see any pics to remind me, which is why I forgot. It was supposed to be back this month, I thought. At least I didn't miss it! :D

Yeah it's worth it to keep them subscribed on youtube even if you don't listen to forty-five minute videos of 'what pen should I buy'; you'll catch shorter announcement videos like the one that had that. It's how I found out!

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

So, Engeika (http://www.engeika.com/) gets mentioned in a lot of posts over at Fountain Pen Network as a source of cheap Iroshizuku, if you don't mind paying shipping and waiting. I was checking them out today and there's a free shipping for $99 and up promotion going on -- it says only until 11/17 on the main page, but the cart still talks about free shipping and my order didn't get a shipping charge added to it.

Iroshizuku for $13.50 a bottle. Between C-- and I, we ordered seven, and I got a bottle of Sailor blue-black as well. Shipping via EMS, which, in my experience, means about six business days to Ohio.

Their prices for pens are pretty good but the set-up is a little confusing as far as telling what's in stock. You have to sign up for an account to even see most items in the store, but it seems worth it.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
What about the levenger l-tech?

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
My order from Goulet got here today. Haven't written a ton with the Metro yet, just transcribed a few random notes I had on my desks at work and at home, but I'm really liking it so far. I'm already thinking I may want a finer nib, but I really wanted the zig-zag trim for some reason and those only come in the M. Oh well, I can always grab a Penmanship/Kakuno to harvest the nib from, or grab a couple F's the next time there's a Massdrop for the Metro 2-packs.

I'm just using the cartridge that came with it for the moment until I get adjusted, then I'll try some of the inks I ordered. The "surprise me!" inks I ended up getting were the Platinum Mix-Free Flame Red and Leaf Green, and the Kaweco Ruby Red. Not colors I'll probably use for every day writing, but at least gives me something to compare the Pilot and Noodler's inks to.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I bought a Hobonichi planner because of this thread and it got here in two days, I was surprised by the speed. It's an amazing planner, and I'm glad it starts in December so I don't have to wait long to use it.

I'm waiting for the Metropolitan Massdrop to come back and then I'll have my first pens to go with it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

grack posted:

Given the circumstances wouldn't it be much more likely that there's still a minor mis-alignment issue that needs to be corrected?

Yes, probably. It's quite hard to get the alignment back to being perfect though, even with a good-power hand lens to check there'll be some remaining roughness so it'll need polishing anyway.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

blowfish posted:

Yes, probably. It's quite hard to get the alignment back to being perfect though, even with a good-power hand lens to check there'll be some remaining roughness so it'll need polishing anyway.

True, but if the mis-alignment is bad enough you're going to be polishing off a good chunk of tipping material trying to smooth it. That said, you're absolutely right in that it'll probably need some smoothing afterwards anyways.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
So I purchased a Pilot MR (UK metropolitan) plus some Diamine ink. Around £30 shipped. And I just found out the MR doesn't come with a converter so I need to spend another £7 before I can even write a single letter. I think cocktails was a cheaper hobby already...

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Slimchandi posted:

So I purchased a Pilot MR (UK metropolitan) plus some Diamine ink. Around £30 shipped. And I just found out the MR doesn't come with a converter so I need to spend another £7 before I can even write a single letter. I think cocktails was a cheaper hobby already...

Or you can get a pipette and refill the cartridge it probably came with, and not need a converter.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Slimchandi posted:

Doesn't it come w/a free cartridge? So far all the C/C FPs I've purchased came w/one except for Chinese FPs which come w/their own converters. Even the $13 JP student FP had one. Inks don't expire though.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Since the MR uses int'l standard cartridges, I guess it doesn't take normal Pilot converters? Either way, it probably comes with a cartridge, and cartridges are terribly cheap (and last ages), so you might be able to just pick something up locally. Also, int'l standard converters should be less than £7, I think last I checked they were like $5 — brand really doesn't matter for those.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Did Goulet's website just suddenly lose 90+% of their products for anyone else? :confused:

Mr Yuck
Jun 5, 2005

She was your regular kinda dame.. Then she put me into a deep beta freeze..

Remora posted:

Did Goulet's website just suddenly lose 90+% of their products for anyone else? :confused:

Yeah, I'm wondering if a certain item is out of stock then it just doesn't show up. I've repeatedly bought Clairefontaine stationery and envelopes from Goulet, but it none of their items -- even notebooks -- were up when I checked this morning. If you search by brand, Clairefontaine comes up, but each section is blank.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
After idly reading the OP the other day I happened to spot a Lamy Safari for £16 in a stationary shop yesterday and decided to get it on a whim. So far I'm really loving it, it writes a hell of a lot smoother than my Parker Vector. Incidentally, I don't see Parkers mentioned much in this thread, are they not all that good? I always thought they were like the fountain pen brand, especially in the UK, but I guess it's more than they were the cheap pen that everyone had at school?

Now I just need to improve my handwriting. I'm a computing student and also a software developer so almost all my writing is done on a computer (apart from scribbling myself post-its and things) except for my yearly exams, which are agonising for my hand. I've always had very lovely handwriting and I'd love to improve it, does anyone have any tips?

I've read through this: http://www.paperpenalia.com/handwriting.html and there are some really good tips in there, it seems like my main issue is that I write with my fingers, not my arm/shoulder.

e: Oh yeah, another thing I was going to ask. When writing should you have the cap on the other end of the pen, or not? Seems like it would significantly affect the balance, so should you do it? Or is it a matter of preference?

chippy fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Nov 23, 2014

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Recommendations, please!

I am looking for a reliable and sturdy cartridge-fed fountain pen for drawing and writing. I'd like the barrel to be medium or medium-large, as it gets tiring to hold a thin barrel over a long period. I would prefer the nib to gave a degree of flexibility, so that lines can be varied in thickness, though I know nothing close to a dip nib would be available on a fountain pen. I'm not especially interested in changing the nib. I'll work around what the nib produces rather than swap nibs. Price range $50-100 (buying it in UK). Would prefer to buy new as a guarantee would be handy.

Ideas?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Recommendations, please!

I am looking for a reliable and sturdy cartridge-fed fountain pen for drawing and writing. I'd like the barrel to be medium or medium-large, as it gets tiring to hold a thin barrel over a long period. I would prefer the nib to gave a degree of flexibility, so that lines can be varied in thickness, though I know nothing close to a dip nib would be available on a fountain pen. I'm not especially interested in changing the nib. I'll work around what the nib produces rather than swap nibs. Price range $50-100 (buying it in UK). Would prefer to buy new as a guarantee would be handy.

Ideas?

Does it have to be cartridge based?

OR

Are you deadset on not changing out a nib?

If you're willing to compromise on one of these the choices in your price range change dramatically.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

chippy posted:

After idly reading the OP the other day I happened to spot a Lamy Safari for £16 in a stationary shop yesterday and decided to get it on a whim. So far I'm really loving it, it writes a hell of a lot smoother than my Parker Vector. Incidentally, I don't see Parkers mentioned much in this thread, are they not all that good? I always thought they were like the fountain pen brand, especially in the UK, but I guess it's more than they were the cheap pen that everyone had at school?

[snark] Parker really went downhill over the last 20 years and they're poo poo now. Their last hurrah was the original new Duofold, with a larger variety of good-quality nibs than most competitors outside Japan and the Sonnet was also good. People complained about them drying out faster than most other pens, particularly in the case of the Sonnet, but that's mainly since Parker followed the philosophy of "the pen will be used and knocked around so any spilled ink needs to dry before it goes on the pen and then on your hand" and drilled a hole in the cap instead of assuming "the pen will be used twice a months so it must never ever dry out" like the companies which made their cap seal ever more tightly. Then they proceded to make the Duofold shittier, gave it a goofy nib design (seriously, the current ace of spades nib looks like it belongs in a $5 Chinese knockoff pen, they should've just done another update to the Parker arrow), cut down the range of nib sizes, and jacked up the price some more. The Sonnet now has a nail of a nib that doesn't even have a properly cut slit (intentionally). Naturally, their good cheap pen (Parker 45) also got axed in favour of the lower part of the Sonnet range. The Parker 100 might've been good but nobody has ever heard of it so it didn't sell and got axed, and there was a modereately successful Parker 51 revival which was really flimsy, kept breaking on people, and was generally worse than the actual 51 in pretty much every way. [/snark]

On a more serious note, Sonnets are ok if you want to have an everyday use nib that doesn't bend easily if you press down though I don't see anything distinguishing them from other pens in their price range. Duofolds are also decent pens and a bit tougher than resin pens due to being made from acrylic, but like the Premier (fancier Sonnet) they're otherwise generic fancy pens that work, but are kind of expensive for what they offer. I'd get two Pilot pens instead.

quote:

I've read through this: http://www.paperpenalia.com/handwriting.html and there are some really good tips in there, it seems like my main issue is that I write with my fingers, not my arm/shoulder.

e: Oh yeah, another thing I was going to ask. When writing should you have the cap on the other end of the pen, or not? Seems like it would significantly affect the balance, so should you do it? Or is it a matter of preference?

Yes, writing more from the arm than from the hand helps. If the pen is very short, it might be worth posting the cap since holding the pen a bit further up than you're used to can help and you might run out of pen to hold on to, but beyond that it's a matter of preference.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

chippy posted:

Incidentally, I don't see Parkers mentioned much in this thread, are they not all that good? I always thought they were like the fountain pen brand, especially in the UK, but I guess it's more than they were the cheap pen that everyone had at school?

Pen shows are filled with Parkers. The vintage models are apparently the poo poo, though I'm not into them. However, this thread talks more about modern pens unless we're talking flex. FPN has a whole forum devoted to Parker.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

grack posted:

Does it have to be cartridge based?

OR

Are you deadset on not changing out a nib?

If you're willing to compromise on one of these the choices in your price range change dramatically.

No, I don't mind lever action (or whatever that is called) if that is a better product overall.
Likewise, I don't mind changing nibs. I am only a bit cautious as the move moveable/changeable parts there are the greater the risk of a joint failing. If the quality of build and performance is high enough then I'll consider any pen recommended here. :)

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

"Lever action"? Can I ask how much you know about fountain pens in general?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

No, I don't mind lever action (or whatever that is called) if that is a better product overall.
Likewise, I don't mind changing nibs. I am only a bit cautious as the move moveable/changeable parts there are the greater the risk of a joint failing. If the quality of build and performance is high enough then I'll consider any pen recommended here. :)

Look at something from Noodler's if you're looking for a modern pen with a flexing nib. The Konrad and the Ahab are pretty decent pens and more than usable as day-to-day writers as well. They use piston fillers. Not dip pen or vintage 14k flex but certainly not bad.

Alternatively, you could get something like a Jinhao X450 for ~$10 and install a Noodler's flex nib if you want a heavier pen. This would give you the option to use international cartridges as well as the included converter for bottled ink. There's no joint to speak of, the nib and the feed are friction fit in to the pen - you just pull them out with your hands and slide in a new nib. It's quite easy to do, video here -> http://blog.gouletpens.com/2013/12/jinhao-x450x750-fountain-pen-nib.html

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Remora posted:

"Lever action"? Can I ask how much you know about fountain pens in general?

His parents' generation might have still bought them so it's not unrealistic.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

chippy posted:

It depends on your preference, and as with anything fountain pen related, your pen itself. If you're holding a mini pen, you can't very well write with the thing unless you "post" (put the cap on the back end of the pen while writing) the pen. With a large, heavy pen, you aren't going to help matters by posting a large, heavy cap. It'll feel awkward to write with. If it's a plastic pen, with a very light cap, it won't make much of a difference whether or not you post, because the added weight will be negligible. In some cases, the cap doesn't fit over the backside of the pen, making it impossible to post. In some cases, an individual who is apt to lose a pen due to clumsiness will post the cap, so that she or he doesn't lose the cap in the process of writing.

It's strictly up to what feels right in your hand. sbrebrown on YouTube makes sure to mention whether or not a pen can be posted in his reviews of pens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

grack posted:

Alternatively, you could get something like a Jinhao X450 for ~$10 and install a Noodler's flex nib if you want a heavier pen. This would give you the option to use international cartridges as well as the included converter for bottled ink. There's no joint to speak of, the nib and the feed are friction fit in to the pen - you just pull them out with your hands and slide in a new nib. It's quite easy to do, video here -> http://blog.gouletpens.com/2013/12/jinhao-x450x750-fountain-pen-nib.html

You can get these pens much cheaper off eBay as well (but Goulet checks the pens before they go out). I have an X450 and an X750 that I got for around $5 combined off eBay and they are actually quite good. They have a decent heft and are pretty sturdy, but I wouldn't post them because there's an inner cap that can get damaged. You can get quite a bit of line variation out of the stock nibs if you are willing to abuse them a bit, but they're not a flex pen.

Apparently Noodlers nibs are a little too thick to fit in the Jinhao pens. They are thicker than the nibs from Goulet or the stock Jinhao nibs.

I've got no idea what you need for drawing but I write with them all the time and don't have any problems. I got a Lamy Safari (solid pen) as a gift and I'd say they are roughly as good, but I might have lucked out with quality control.