Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
We are using a vendor to deploy Dynamics AX to replace one of our mainframes (YAY!), and we have been through a number of planning meetings where we were clear that we are a VMware shop.

The CIO gets a hard drive from the vendor with an all in one VM that does a demo with fake data, but it is a Hyper-V VHD. I start trying to convert it, and its taking forever. The following exchange happened:

Me: You know, this VM is for Hyper-V, and we told you we have a vSphere environment. Can you help us out?
Vendor PM: "I have not seen such as that would be complicated from a licensing perspective as non MS software."
Me: That should have no bearing on a non-licensed 2012 R2 guest. Can you please provide an OVA or VMDK version of the demo?
Vendor Engineer: "The one provided in USB through MS is applicable with Hyper-V if you use as it is. You can also put this on VMware and there are good you tube videos that can be refer too"
Me: :stare: :stare: :stare:

The instructions for the drive were literally "unzip and here is the login/pass". I had to change the networking and DNS service config so that the mapped drives would work right from the internal IIS sites. Thanks guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Bob Morales posted:

Not really. Today we installed a keylogger/screen recorder so we can see what he actually does.

:munch:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Bob Morales posted:

Not really. Today we installed a keylogger/screen recorder so we can see what he actually does.

That's a interesting work environment, in other news I noticed that my employer is now watching my HTTP/HTTPS traffic.

Can the software decyrpt those streams?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

So we JUST completed a huge rear end project to change to a new CDN vendor (EdgeCast). It has a lot more features and is literally 1/3 the cost of what we had been paying. Been a really great experience so far.

Seen today: Chinese government blocks all traffic to EdgeCast

lmao are you loving kidding me :suicide:

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Anyone else using Pagerduty and have some tips/tricks/l33t h4x?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Tab8715 posted:

That's a interesting work environment, in other news I noticed that my employer is now watching my HTTP/HTTPS traffic.

If it's just using SPAN to monitor network traffic then they can't decrypt the HTTPS session data, but they can still see what sites you're visiting and any unencrypted traffic.

If they're using a proxy then they could see session data as well by basically acting as a man in the middle.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

How do your employers handle on-call pay? Because I get the feeling we get shafted...we only get paid if we do actual work, i.e. open a ticket (though it is a min. of 1 hour if we do that.) But if it's a nuisance page and all we do is clear it out, or maybe put up a maintenance window, we don't get any extra money. I think that's BS. If I have to get up to do anything, I should get compensated for it. I also believe that merely being on-call, even if I don't get a single page all week, is deserving of a small pay increase for that week since I am forced to be strapped to my phone, pager, and laptop all week long.

What state are you in? How often are you on call? Are you salaried exempt?

Edit, meant to preview.

I work in CA for an MSP and generally it is 1 hours min of time coded if it is after hours, but this can be higher for some of our clients that get charged 2x or 2.5x for emergency after hours calls. On call is a week long as primary and two weeks before as backups. There is extra pay ($500 for a normal week or more for a holiday.) If you are non exempt salary you can get more than the $500 depending on how many late night and weekend calls come in. Also we have an answering service that heavily reduces the amount of after hours calls.

lampey fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 19, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Tab8715 posted:

Check your local certificate store, see if there is anything in there from a monitoring/proxy company.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

mayodreams posted:

We are using a vendor to deploy Dynamics AX to replace one of our mainframes (YAY!), and we have been through a number of planning meetings where we were clear that we are a VMware shop.

The CIO gets a hard drive from the vendor with an all in one VM that does a demo with fake data, but it is a Hyper-V VHD. I start trying to convert it, and its taking forever. The following exchange happened:

Me: You know, this VM is for Hyper-V, and we told you we have a vSphere environment. Can you help us out?
Vendor PM: "I have not seen such as that would be complicated from a licensing perspective as non MS software."
Me: That should have no bearing on a non-licensed 2012 R2 guest. Can you please provide an OVA or VMDK version of the demo?
Vendor Engineer: "The one provided in USB through MS is applicable with Hyper-V if you use as it is. You can also put this on VMware and there are good you tube videos that can be refer too"
Me: :stare: :stare: :stare:

The instructions for the drive were literally "unzip and here is the login/pass". I had to change the networking and DNS service config so that the mapped drives would work right from the internal IIS sites. Thanks guys!

Do you have the option of using a vendor that has engineers who can string sentences together? Jesus.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

Do you have the option of using a vendor that has engineers who can string sentences together? Jesus.

Even worse if it's the Project Manager. The ones who are supposed to be the most literate of the bunch.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Yeah I really lost confidence in this project after that. We are going to build out the guests, but still, I feel apprehensive now.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

TBH any employer bigger than maybe a few hundred employees probably is. Not to spy on you, but because they'll probably be running some sort of FPC/IDS for malware event and domain correlation.

e: If you're worried about your security/IA guys peering over your shoulder (and believe me, there are plenty of sketchy thumb drive cops busy jacking off in the dark corners of the IA office to pictures of your girlfriend they pulled), there are some pretty easy ways to use a variety of Google services as HTTPS/SSL proxies.

psydude fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 18, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bob Morales posted:

From one hosed up job to another...

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:yotj:

I now earn more than daf, my life goals are complete.

Very interested to see how my resignation is handled in a few hours.

Lots of good advice from here and some thanks to resumes2interviews for getting my CV halfway there. Thanks goons.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

BurgerQuest posted:

Very interested to see how my resignation is handled in a few hours.

This is the best part about getting a new job. When management goes :aaa: and suddenly promised to do what you've been asking for - raise, another FTE, bigger IT budget.

OR they stomp around, mutter something about despite how you've been there for years your suddenly the worst tech ever on the planet that has ever existed.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As this role means moving interstate I won't be entertaining any counter offers from them, so I'm expecting the latter. I've been in this job for 6 years and it's become clear to move up I must move on.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

BurgerQuest posted:

As this role means moving interstate I won't be entertaining any counter offers from them, so I'm expecting the latter. I've been in this job for 6 years and it's become clear to move up I must move on.

Good for you! :toot:

I did that a few years ago, and while it was hard at first, it was the best thing for my career, and I have never looked back. I was screwed out of 2 promotions after nearly 6 years as well, and I bolted.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tab8715 posted:

This is the best part about getting a new job. When management goes :aaa: and suddenly promised to do what you've been asking for - raise, another FTE, bigger IT budget.

Has anyone ever gone with the counteroffer? It sounds like a bad plan to me.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Depends how good the counter-offer is?

mewse
May 2, 2006

I think the rule of thumb is never to accept a counter-offer. Management will resent you for holding your skills hostage, any problems you have with the job will probably worsen, etc etc

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Once upon a time, it was just me and another guy basically doing the same work in the department, and the other guy got a job offer and got a retention offer, because due to politics that was the only way for us to get raises. My boss fought for me to get the same raise, since we both did the same work, we should still be paid the same.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Definitely agree on counter offers generally, extra money here isn't going to help my career progression at all.

Besides, we just had our annual reviews and it'd be laughable to suddenly be worth a lot more than the standard indexed raise I received two weeks ago.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Nope. Begged for a raise, got a paycut. Begged for more vacation time, got a furlough. Put in my two weeks notice and suddenly got a 30% pay bump and extra week of vacation put on the table.

Yeah, "it's a tough economy", my rear end. Turned it down and was immediately berated by the CEO for being a "mercenary".

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 19, 2014

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
As a general rule, counter offers are not a good idea for a variety of reasons. Google counter offer for a million articles about why.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Turned it down and was immediately berated by the CEO for being a "mercenary".

That's the best thing about IT. You literally are a mercenary.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Tab8715 posted:

That's the best thing about IT. You literally are a mercenary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0hZ1KKpV54

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Nope. Begged for a raise, got a paycut. Begged for more vacation time, got a furlough. Put in my two weeks notice and suddenly got a 30% pay bump and extra week of vacation put on the table.

Yeah, "it's a tough economy", my rear end. Turned it down and was immediately berated by the CEO for being a "mercenary".

Dude sounds like a prick.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Who isn't a "mercenary," by that definition?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

JHVH-1 posted:

We use it, works pretty well. Did you have any specific questions? I never set it up, but I am a user of it and have played around with it's scheduling tools

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Bob Morales posted:

Sounds like a poo poo work environment. Worse than you already have described it over the past year or so.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also it definitely doesn't sound like your job to find out what someone you don't manage does all day. Stay far away from that surveillance poo poo.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, that went OK. I'm on good personal terms with my boss, so he understands my reasons at a personal level. He did ask for 8 weeks notice but that doesn't fit my relocation plans so they'll have to deal with 4.

It's going to be a busy 4 weeks!

BurgerQuest fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 19, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How much notice did your contract specify?

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It changes due to tenure (<1yr, no notice, <2yrs, 1 week notice, 2yrs+, 2 weeks notice min). 4 weeks fits my timeline and it's going to be hard enough handing over to people without the same skill set as it is. It's great timing for me, but terrible for them to have a chance of hiring someone this time of year. I feel bad about that, but I can't help it.

I'll finish just before Christmas, be a bum for two weeks and then take 10 days or so to enjoy the drive across Australia.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I did, and don't regret it. My boss was always willing to give me more money, but was limited by HR and the rest of the executive team. It was an easy way for him to justify a mid year raise.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Bob Morales posted:

The log file is just going to be 100 MB of wrkusrprf

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The log file is just going to be 100 MB of wrkusrprf

:lol:

indigoe
Jul 29, 2003

gonna steal the show, you know it ain't no crime

JHVH-1 posted:

I manage our pagerduty scheduling and share after hours monitoring with a developer and the CTO. I wrote some nagios plugins that check high level business KPIs and will call via pagerduty when something is wrong. A phone call is better than sms, it must be answered, and there is a trail of what the response was. It can also escalate if the call is not answered. Out of the thousands of monitored services, only a handful will trigger a call. We used to have more aggressive alerting but realised it's not useful if there is nothing we can do about the alert.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

indigoe posted:

I manage our pagerduty scheduling and share after hours monitoring with a developer and the CTO. I wrote some nagios plugins that check high level business KPIs and will call via pagerduty when something is wrong. A phone call is better than sms, it must be answered, and there is a trail of what the response was. It can also escalate if the call is not answered. Out of the thousands of monitored services, only a handful will trigger a call. We used to have more aggressive alerting but realised it's not useful if there is nothing we can do about the alert.

It seems like the place I am at has all that set up in a way that works. They have groups for the application admins and certain special apps that go to the right people. The stuff I am going to be on call for comes from nagios and when its acknowledged there it automatically acknowledges it in Pagerduty. Seems like the way they use it is sms or push notification in like 5/10 minutes and then if thats not answered then it calls them to wake people up, and then if nothing from that it goes to a secondary on call.
This place is weird, and they have some big name clients but things are at least spread out or designed for failover so anytime a single thing has a problem its usually not a showstopper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

mewse posted:

I think the rule of thumb is never to accept a counter-offer. Management will resent you for holding your skills hostage, any problems you have with the job will probably worsen, etc etc
Counter-offers are in and of themselves okay if they're approached correctly, but never use the counter-offer as your initial bargaining chip. It's fine as a point in your pitch for more money if things get rough, but don't lead with it because it immediately sets an adversarial tone in the negotiations.