Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

The case against you is that you ended yesterday seeming really, really, really certain that Opop was probably scum. Sure, maybe you didn't notice the sabotage, and when you did you paused, but you rightly conclude a second later "ernie probably wouldn't sabotage it" (this is an assumption everyone is assuming but it's worth reminding people it's an assumption). So why didn't you immediately turn on Opop?

It's just weird.

Yeah I didn't immediately notice Opop was on the vote and also it's nice to rethink things anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Cool well why have your thoughts on Opop changed?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

Cool well why have your thoughts on Opop changed?

They haven't because I haven't rethought things yet. I am still mentally in day 1, essentially, plus three corpses and time spent defending myself and thinking Sombererorchereomario is wrong.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

EccoRaven posted:

The case against you is that you ended yesterday seeming really, really, really certain that Opop was probably scum. Sure, maybe you didn't notice the sabotage, and when you did you paused, but you rightly conclude a second later "ernie probably wouldn't sabotage it" (this is an assumption everyone is assuming but it's worth reminding people it's an assumption). So why didn't you immediately turn on Opop?

It's just weird.

I like that you're not a loon though, thank you, it's really not very hard right? Gosh some people.

So your case on JJ is that he didn't immediately double down on his D1 claim that Opop was 100% scum?

I took JJ's 100% comment as a joke response to my post. Why are you so convinced that he was completely sold on Opop as scum that you are basing your whole case on it?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
##vote Meinberg

Two reasons.

First, his use of the vig was scummy. He didn't attempt to discern player alignment before using it, he just saw a player he could shoot with no blowback and did it.

Second, this post just comes across as awkward and an attempt to say something without actually getting involved in the game.

Meinberg posted:

A Sunday deadline? Why I never!

Things have been pretty quiet, so I don't have any new thoughts, but I'll think real hard, and try to come up with something.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

fiery_valkyrie posted:

So your case on JJ is that he didn't immediately double down on his D1 claim that Opop was 100% scum?
It's not doubling down, it's being consistent. Had Ernie survived the night, you'd better believe I'd be voting for him today, especially since there was a sabotage.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

fiery_valkyrie posted:

##vote Meinberg

Two reasons.

First, his use of the vig was scummy. He didn't attempt to discern player alignment before using it, he just saw a player he could shoot with no blowback and did it.

Second, this post just comes across as awkward and an attempt to say something without actually getting involved in the game.

That sounds fairly normal for Meinberg to me?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Who do you think is scum then?

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

:911:

American Girls and American Guys
We’ll always stand up and salute
We’ll always recognize
When we see Waves of Grain Flying
There’s a lot of monsters dead
So we can sleep in peace at night
When we lay down our head

My daddy served in the army
Where he lost his right eye
But he still kept on killing robots
Until the day that he died
He wanted my mother, my brother, my robot and me
To grow up and live happy
In the land of the neo-free.

Now this nation that I love
Has fallen under attack
A mutant sucker punch came flyin’ in
From somewhere in the back
Soon as we could see clearly
Through our big bot eye
Man, we lit up your world
Like the eve of Reagain's Inauguration

Hey Commander Sam
Put your name at the top of his list
And the Lady Liberty
Started shakin’ her fist
And the mecheagle will fly
Man, it’s gonna be hell
When you hear Parental Unit Freedom
Start ringin’ her bell
And it feels like the whole wide world is raining down on you
Brought to you Courtesy of the Red White and Bl------OUT OF BATTERIES

:911:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

hurt's scum

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Yeah, and a beautiful human to boot.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

:911: lmao :911:

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

##vote Monathin

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Somberbrero posted:

Yeah, and a beautiful human to boot.

A beautiful corpse, more like :c00lbert:

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Whoops Ecco. I thought I had caught you out on something but in my just woke up state now I realise I was just calling you out on something... and then agreeing with it. My bad.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

HiipFire posted:

I was just telling you your math was a bit off.

I feel exclusively hunting for scum in the volcano group is good, because the people in the volcano group were also some of the most active so we'll be able to get the best reads from them(I'll go and write cases tomorrow) and the entire eliminate 6 means that the last 1 is guaranteed scum thing.

Nope, you're making assumptions. 3p may have motivation to not support. Ignoring the majority of the players in this game isn't smart.

What if people didn't volunteer just so they could pull this tactic today?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Monathin posted:

Got my role and I am in fact the volcano.

The volcano is a separate entity from the island because

Was this a serious claim and are you the same volcano that the event was centred around?

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Puntification posted:

Was this a serious claim and are you the same volcano that the event was centred around?

Just vote him dude

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

merk posted:

Ecco, how am I phoning it in when yesterday I caught the Serial Killer?

Hey I don't know if anyone else say this but this is a baaaddd post

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Hey somb, do you still think dugong is scum?

Peta posted:

Just vote him dude

Eh, I'd say he seems more awkward than scummy at the moment.

However,

bowmore posted:

I agree with this

##vote Ernie

bowmore posted:

I could go Ixt
I feel bowmore is trying pretty hard to fly just under the radar, expressing a desire not to die when vig targets were discussed without really contributing to the discussion and agreeing with other peoples' cases on the vote-leaders are basically all that he's done so far. Let's: ##vote bowmore

Also what are the chances in other peoples' opinions of town getting both a day and a night vig in a game this size (with an SK too)? I'm thinking meinberg may be worth scrutinising as well, if he is a bad dude there's the possibility that he's got more than the one-shot he claimed and that could come back to haunt us.

I'm off to bed now.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Puntification posted:

Man if I had known that there was going to be an actual volcano event I would have claimed I was a psychic instead. :shobon:

(No, it wasnt serious, I was helping run the jokes on that page into the ground.)

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I'm tired and have to be up early but I'll give the game a real read tomorrow with how I'm alive and stuff and there's content.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Hi Monathin.

Peta posted:

Monathin have you read any forum Mafia games and/or wikis

Don't be a gently caress; answer this question! :buddy:

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
monathin i would also still like to know why you felt it necessary to mention you had secret hunches and whether or not you can reveal the secret hunches yet

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Peta posted:

Hi Monathin.

Don't be a gently caress; answer this question! :buddy:

Ive been reading the goon mafia wiki off and on as there are some terms I'm unfamiliar with that you guys use, though the basic stuff is still more or less clear to me. I'm slowly getting the hang of it, though.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

Mad Rancher (2): merk, EccoRaven
Monathin (2): The Science of Suck, Peta
EccoRaven (1): merk, merk, Somberbrero
bowmore (1): Puntification
Meinberg (1): fiery_valkyrie

Not Voting (12): Asiina, AtrociousToaster, bowmore, Dugong, EXAKT Science, HiipFire, Ixtlilton, Mad Rancher, Meinberg, Monathin, Opopanax, Tremendous Taste

With 19 alive, it's 10 votes to lynch. The current deadline is November 21st, 2014 at 10 p.m. EST -- that's in about 2 days, 9 hours.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Also my secret hunches basically boiled down to Ecco being too overambitious to scumhunt, but I think those are kind of a moot point since it seems like Ecco was being earnest. I didn't really want to jump into it because I wasn't really prepared enough to have a conversation, but it probably didnt need saying. I'm also on my phone which makes things a bit harder.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Monathin posted:

Ive been reading the goon mafia wiki off and on as there are some terms I'm unfamiliar with that you guys use, though the basic stuff is still more or less clear to me. I'm slowly getting the hang of it, though.

Who do you think is scum, Mona?

preview edit:

Monathin posted:

Also my secret hunches basically boiled down to Ecco being too overambitious to scumhunt, but I think those are kind of a moot point since it seems like Ecco was being earnest. I didn't really want to jump into it because I wasn't really prepared enough to have a conversation, but it probably didnt need saying. I'm also on my phone which makes things a bit harder.

Do you consider your previous feelings on Ecco invalid, since he was casing a not-town but not-mafia player? If so, why? Do you have any thoughts on my posts about Ecco? Who are you going to vote today?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Hey somber, did you see my question to you?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

The Science of Suck posted:

monathin i would also still like to know why you felt it necessary to mention you had secret hunches and whether or not you can reveal the secret hunches yet

What are your secret hunches then? My top choice to lynch is still Hiip but Meinberg has used his vig and disappeared.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Puntification posted:

Hey somber, did you see my question to you?

I did, but I forgot. Let me review.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Somberbrero posted:

I did, but I forgot. Let me review.

Probably. He contributed to a no-lynch yesterday and is ignoring a lot of the relevant content today to push a non-starter.

That seems standard for the game so far, though. I feel like the town isn't communicating well.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

^the joint vote leader is JJ and while it is a good case, town not communicating is highlighted by merk voting and then disappearing. Yeah he is in the champions game but it doesn't leave much to talk about.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Somberbrero posted:

Probably. He contributed to a no-lynch yesterday and is ignoring a lot of the relevant content today to push a non-starter.

That seems standard for the game so far, though. I feel like the town isn't communicating well.

If I could lynch everyone who didn't bother voting/turning up yesterday I would but it's probably not the best strategy. In his defence though I don't really care to lynch any of the people involved in the major arguments of today either, ecco's too abrasive for his own good but not scummy imo and the cases on JJ and monathin aren't great so I can't blame him for pushing someone else, not least cos I'd be willing to go back to Hiipfire myself if no one has any interest in lynching bowmore. This of course would put hiipfire joint leader at the moment, so he's no more a non-starter than the rest of them.

I think one of our major problems is we've had a lot of promises for rereads and cases and very little delivery on that front, the other major problem is players not even bothering to do that.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I feel pretty confident in Ecco as scum. I will point you to this.

EccoRaven posted:

didn't read your post somber never will AITCH-TEE-AITCH

When would Ecco ever pass up an opportunity to legitimately berate someone who was wrong? Ecco loves to agonize over semantics, as evidenced by the past couple pages. The easiest way to deal with a compelling argument as scum is just to ignore it.

The thing about bowmore is that non-activity is fairly typical with him. I don't disagree with your assessment, it's just not a very interesting vote.

Dugong posted:

^the joint vote leader is JJ and while it is a good case, town not communicating is highlighted by merk voting and then disappearing. Yeah he is in the champions game but it doesn't leave much to talk about.

If it's a good case, why aren't you voting with it?

Opopanax posted:

Hey I don't know if anyone else say this but this is a baaaddd post

Can you expand on that? I don't get it. Because he's taking credit for catching the SK? Ecco has been doing much the same, but with a Survivor.

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009

Dugong posted:

What are your secret hunches then? My top choice to lynch is still Hiip but Meinberg has used his vig and disappeared.

i never said i had secret hunches, unlike our friend monathin

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Somberbrero posted:

When would Ecco ever pass up an opportunity to legitimately berate someone who was wrong?
When you started off your post saying more stupid crap about the ratios argument and I threw my hands in the air and said "gently caress it." Duh.

Also, rude.

Somberbrero posted:

The easiest way to deal with a compelling argument as scum is just to ignore it.
True but I really doubt it's compelling, if it was anything like the posts leading up to it.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Puntification posted:

I think one of our major problems is we've had a lot of promises for rereads and cases and very little delivery on that front, the other major problem is players not even bothering to do that.

What's happening is players, aware the setup is unorthodox, rather than rallying together and trying their hardest, are preemptively giving up. "We can't make connections," they're telling themselves, "so what's the point?"

This is because players are terrible but unfortunately it only takes a few to spoil it for the rest of us.
Posts like this, e.g.:

Ixtlilton posted:

Nope, I have no solid opinions. And guess what? That doesn't matter in this game, the scum don't know each other.

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
people won't play how i want them to
:qqsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

EccoRaven posted:

When you started off your post saying more stupid crap about the ratios argument and I threw my hands in the air and said "gently caress it." Duh.

Also, rude.

True but I really doubt it's compelling, if it was anything like the posts leading up to it.

You're ignoring my posts because you don't care what I have to say or you're scum. I guess the distinction doesn't really matter.

• Locked thread