Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Speaking of Sleeping Dogs, I've been replaying it and there's a few small things just driving me nuts about it.

The first is, of course, -5 Clumsy/Property Damage. The second one is especially egregious when you get hit with it while action hijacking a car before you've actually taken control of the car.

Second is the whole taxi situation. You pretty much need to fling yourself into the street to get one to stop (which is, I guess, at least realistic :v:) and when you do, accidentally taking your finger off of the "Hire Taxi" button too quickly can end with you carjacking the taxi instead! There needed to be a "Taxi!" button that let you flag one down and the Hire/Carjack buttons DEFINITELY should not have been the same button.

Thirdly, the big grappler enemies. They have unblockable grabs that require you to be incredibly quick to break out of and can't themselves be grabbed until near the very end of the game. They also have an enormous amount of HP.

I love this game (probably tied with Red Faction Guerrilla for open world games for me) but Christ those three things keep pulling me out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

im pooping! posted:

I play pretty conservatively in those games, but the first time I met Trevor, I went wild. It felt so liberating to just be crazy while staying in character. A few missions down the road he's flying through the hills on a dirt bike at like 100MPH and I had the biggest smile on my face the entire time. It's really the first time I can remember a video game doing that to me.

If you haven't, play Saints Row 4. It's the perfect culmination of crazy a GTA-like could ever hope for, plus a thousand and one pop culture references! And some of them are even funny!

My only problem with it is that some of the activities get old and the game is far too short. Aside from that, it's the perfect game.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Screaming Idiot posted:

If you haven't, play Saints Row 4. It's the perfect culmination of crazy a GTA-like could ever hope for, plus a thousand and one pop culture references! And some of them are even funny!

My only problem with it is that some of the activities get old and the game is far too short. Aside from that, it's the perfect game.

Its literally part of the plot in Saints Row 4 that the Boss is a violent sociopath and the game makes fun of the previous games for being GTA clones and not being able to decide if they were serious crime-dramas or wacky slapstick comedy. SR4 is probably the only open-world game that truly understands how story works in open world games.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
I took the plunge and bought NBA 2k15 after not playing a basket all game for 5 years. Played my first season with the nuggets and couldn't get off that team fast enough. I signed to the Clippers when I had the choice and of course Chris Paul is injured for some god drat reason. So every bad game I have I get chewed out for having no assists because my options for scorers are so small. It's otherwise a pretty solid experience but I wish something so seemingly random wasn't holding back my progress.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

1stGear posted:

Its literally part of the plot in Saints Row 4 that the Boss is a violent sociopath and the game makes fun of the previous games for being GTA clones and not being able to decide if they were serious crime-dramas or wacky slapstick comedy. SR4 is probably the only open-world game that truly understands how story works in open world games.

I couldn't get into Saints Row 4 for the very same reasons people cite it as one of the best games of the year.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

1stGear posted:

The Dubstep Gun is literally the greatest weapon in the history of video gaming. The BFG 9000 and Gravity Gun can loving eat me. :colbert: In fact, it's so good that it makes the game a cakewalk, and I have to force myself to use the other weapons in order to give the game a chance.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix is a treasure that's only marred by the fact that I can't watch Luigi pull off moves during the songs because I'm too busy focusing on the step chart.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Screaming Idiot posted:

The Dubstep Gun is literally the greatest weapon in the history of video gaming. The BFG 9000 and Gravity Gun can loving eat me. :colbert: In fact, it's so good that it makes the game a cakewalk, and I have to force myself to use the other weapons in order to give the game a chance.

Terrible opinion. Both dubstep and that weapon suck. Fact.

Something that gets me about every PC game I've played recently with controller support only has the option for either XBox prompts and button15 type prompts. If the game is already multiplatform how hard could it possibly be to add playstation button prompts.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Screaming Idiot posted:

The Dubstep Gun is literally the greatest weapon in the history of video gaming.
Knifegun. :colbert:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Screaming Idiot posted:

It is annoying that the game gives you a half-dozen rad weapons that all use the same inventory slot but then wastes half of your inventory on small arms that are not only no fun to use but are also copy-pasted from Saints Row 3 only with an extra novelty skin or two. The game's already unbalanced and easy, let me carry all the fun gimmick weapons!

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Austrian mook posted:

I couldn't get into Saints Row 4 for the very same reasons people cite it as one of the best games of the year.

Because it's fun?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Speaking of weapons in Saints Row 4 it's the cooldowns on alien weapons that annoy me. I feel I get a lot more shots out of a normal gun clip than I do with the alien equivalent. Plus I prefer bullets to pew pew lasers but maybe that's just my problem.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

OldTennisCourt posted:

Because it's fun?

I didn't really think so.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

ArcMage posted:

Human Revolution is being dragged down by the ending situation. :(

I mean, the push-button aspect is a frequent complaint, but apparently the endings also vary with your conduct during the game, yeah?

I've been as big an rear end in a top hat as I can figure out how to be without actively doing the opposite of my objectives, and gotten the same 'I was basically a good dude, wasn't I?' blurb. I'm not even sure what level of assholery that's meant to signify.

In a more general way I'm just annoyed when I can't reach a given ending in a game, I guess.
as far as I know the only thing that affects it is how many people you killed, the idea being that killing people was the most convenient way to achieve your objectives or something.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

2house2fly posted:

as far as I know the only thing that affects it is how many people you killed, the idea being that killing people was the most convenient way to achieve your objectives or something.

It's kind of like Dishonored, where you can kill a shitload of people and still get the guilt-free ending.

Unlike dishonored, killing was actively discouraged and you were rewarded way more for not killing people. I don't get why the non-lethal takedowns were shorter, quieter, and gave more XP than the lethal takedowns, for example.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

2house2fly posted:

It's definitely not that. I killed shitloads of people, including a whole lot of cops and civilians for no reason, and I still got the good dialogue. I did do every sidequest though, so if it is sidequest completion that triggers it then that would fit.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It's kind of like Dishonored, where you can kill a shitload of people and still get the guilt-free ending.

Unlike dishonored, killing was actively discouraged and you were rewarded way more for not killing people. I don't get why the non-lethal takedowns were shorter, quieter, and gave more XP than the lethal takedowns, for example.

It should've been the other way around. I mean, the "nonlethal" takedowns are punching people so hard they pass out, that's gonna make some noise.

But rather than a syringe aug or some kind of throat-slitting knife, lets just give him giant fuckoff baraka blades. Those are really subtle.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The Bee posted:

But rather than a syringe aug or some kind of throat-slitting knife, lets just give him giant fuckoff baraka blades. Those are really subtle.

Marketing insisted on it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Bee posted:

The scissor-saw from MGR would have been magical. :allears:

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Speaking of weapons in Saints Row 4 it's the cooldowns on alien weapons that annoy me. I feel I get a lot more shots out of a normal gun clip than I do with the alien equivalent. Plus I prefer bullets to pew pew lasers but maybe that's just my problem.

Yeah, they never really incentivize the use of those guns. At least the alien hardware has manual cooldown, but powerpacks that worked like magazines would've been much better.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

The Bee posted:

It should've been the other way around. I mean, the "nonlethal" takedowns are punching people so hard they pass out, that's gonna make some noise.

It's not even that they're impossible to use quietly, Jensen just insists on it.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The one bad thing about Saints Row 4 is that it's hard to get a good rampage going as you progress. As new types of enemies are introduced, they replace basic ones at higher notoriety levels rather than appearing alongside them, and they appear in lower numbers. To complete many of the challenges and achievements, you basically have to grind hotspots and retreat before you complete them, and good luck if you don't figure that out before you clear them all. Plus, those rolling marauder turret robots that can only be killed by being shot in the back of the head really kill your momentum.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Dr Christmas posted:

The one bad thing about Saints Row 4 is that it's hard to get a good rampage going as you progress. As new types of enemies are introduced, they replace basic ones at higher notoriety levels rather than appearing alongside them, and they appear in lower numbers. To complete many of the challenges and achievements, you basically have to grind hotspots and retreat before you complete them, and good luck if you don't figure that out before you clear them all. Plus, those rolling marauder turret robots that can only be killed by being shot in the back of the head really kill your momentum.

This is definitely my least favorite part of SR4, too. Those turrets are just bad enemies and the fact that you stop having fun to kill fodder after the like, halfway point is just a bummer. The best part of having the best items in these games, is being able to just destroy massive amounts of dudes because you've finally earned it. I didn't like the whole golden snitch thing either, it was kind of silly and fun at first. But as the enemies got more annoying and it became the only effective way to stop a fight with the annoying enemies, I began to hate it.

It's especially disappointing since they removed the four separate wanted levels from 3, and replaced it with a catch-all wanted level, so you can't even have police shootouts anymore because once you shoot a cop aliens teleport in and once you shoot enough aliens you have to fight a really annoying boss.

I mean I still love the hell out of SR4, and I'll never get tired of super powered insurance fraud. It's just got some really annoying issues.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

Unless you deliberately go somewhere where there are a bunch of human enemies already (like the military base), you almost never see more than a couple of them at a time outside of missions. They're almost immediately replaced by aliens, and it doesn't take long before even they get replaced with marauders and murderbots and then you either run away or fight a warden.

It might have worked better if it took longer to progress through the wanted levels, but it's just way too quick. And some particular weapons seem to just jump you through really fast. I found trying to have fun with the inflato-ray was almost impossible because I'd kill two or three dudes and be at warden level already.

It's still a great game and a lot of fun, but rampaging was way better in SR2. Even the brutes in SR3 were a step in the wrong direction, I think.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
The cool thing about the Metal Gear Solid series is that the controls change every game, so that after taking a few years off the last game, it feels like a new game and a new experience, while keeping the MGS vibe.

However it sucks when you want to play them back to back. You're so used to the old way it was set up and now the camera is different and I have to aim it this way and oops I accidentally alerted a guard because I forgot this game let's me run or crawl, but not crouch run.

Another for Peace Walker, great game, and I was on the last extra op where I send a squad of tanks, helicopters, personnel and a Metal Gear into action for me. MG Zeke was destroyed, but we still won, and I was able to make a brand new Zeke with extra parts around the bases. Why can't I just send out two gears at once? Or three? I know it would make the Extra Ops a joke, but then Alligator might've lived.

RIP Alligator.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

LumpyGumby posted:

The cool thing about the Metal Gear Solid series is that the controls change every game....

How is that a cool thing? That poo poo would be infuriating.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

LumpyGumby posted:

The cool thing about the Metal Gear Solid series is that the controls change every game, so that after taking a few years off the last game, it feels like a new game and a new experience, while keeping the MGS vibe.

Haha what kind of Stockholm Syndrome nonsense is this? That's definitely a qualifier for this thread right here.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
To me it was a cool thing. The same controls after six games would probably just feel like the same thing over and over. :shrug:

But yes, Stockholm has probably set in a while ago.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For a company that created 2 entire universes with a wealth of lore, Destiny sure lacks in the creativity department when it comes to the bosses, its just really big versions of already existing enemies.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Not always! What about the one that's three regular enemies?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Elfface posted:

Not always! What about the one that's three regular enemies?

Excuse you. Three regular enemies with different colored shields.

e: Unless you're on the bone. :smugdog:

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

RyokoTK posted:

Haha what kind of Stockholm Syndrome nonsense is this? That's definitely a qualifier for this thread right here.

The controls for the older games were this very idiosyncratic japanese action game style layout-- the first one came out before there was a standard FPS control scheme for consoles-- and the camera controls were set up like a more limited version of Mario 64. As innovations like dual thumbsticks and radial menus and that kind of thing became standard, the Metal Gear games started to incorporate them. That's why it's cool, if you play the games in order you see the same basic gameplay concept evolve over 20 years of changing industry standards.

swamp waste has a new favorite as of 22:00 on Nov 20, 2014

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

LumpyGumby posted:

However it sucks when you want to play them back to back. You're so used to the old way it was set up and now the camera is different and I have to aim it this way and oops I accidentally alerted a guard because I forgot this game let's me run or crawl, but not crouch run.

Another for Peace Walker, great game, and I was on the last extra op where I send a squad of tanks, helicopters, personnel and a Metal Gear into action for me. MG Zeke was destroyed, but we still won, and I was able to make a brand new Zeke with extra parts around the bases. Why can't I just send out two gears at once? Or three? I know it would make the Extra Ops a joke, but then Alligator might've lived.

RIP Alligator.

Which game had crouch running? The last MGS game I played was MGS3

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

LumpyGumby posted:

But yes, Stockholm has probably set in a while ago.

Stockholm syndrom set in shortly after Raiden threw off his scubamask in the beginning of MGS2.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
I kinda hate how lots of games now have a push this button or button combo to dodge automatically mechanic. I kinda feel if the movement controls worked right in the first place you wouldn't need to add such a mechanic.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS

Away all Goats posted:

Which game had crouch running? The last MGS game I played was MGS3

Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain have it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LumpyGumby posted:

As does 4. It also has the greatest slow-crawl to ever be devised. http://youtu.be/B9hdYIFxJcU?t=12m13s

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 00:14 on Nov 21, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

MGS3D has it as well.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

LumpyGumby posted:

I'm sure the updated version of MGS3 also had crouch walking added to it. efb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

TOILETLORD posted:

I kinda hate how lots of games now have a push this button or button combo to dodge automatically mechanic. I kinda feel if the movement controls worked right in the first place you wouldn't need to add such a mechanic.

What games are you referring to?